PDA

View Full Version : 10 Meters Free Banders

Jerry
08-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Last night I came across a situation that doesn't happen very often.

A couple of outlaw radio operators - operating on the 10 meters - 28.400 MHz.

They were using Numbers as their call sign, because they did not have a call sign.
There were other free banders - as they called themselves, sticking up for the other outlaw radio operators.

I reminded them that if they had a license that it was illegal for them to talk to those people who did not have a license and that if the " " Freeband activity kept up, we would have to do something about it.

I have been involved with radio communications since about 1970 and I never intruded upon the Amateur Radio bands without a license.

Also, being disabled, lost part of my memory in a couple of automobile accidents, I had to study twice if not three times as long as a regular person to get my license and I kept studying until I achieved Amateur Extra Class after 2 1/2 months of being involved in Amateur radio.

I put close to 1000 miles on my vehicle going to and from VE test sessions until I passed all my exams and got my ticket and I attended many a club meeting from other local ham clubs - just to get to know the other amateur radio operators in the area.

I feel as if it is a slap in the face - if we as hams - let others use our frequencies without a license, especially when I had to work so hard to get mine.

As a example, I spent 40 hours reading the ARRL book and studying just to get my Technician license.

Another 80 hours reading and studying to get my General License and another 280 hours to get my Amateur Extra License.

I wore out a computer and a lazy boy chair - sitting in front of the computer, looking up the answers, so that I didn't just know the answer - I knew the reason why the question was on the test and what the answer means.

You get some CB idiots with their 10-4 jargon and no call signs and pretty soon we won't have a 10 meters band anymore.
Just look at what they did to the CB radio!

As a matter of importance, from what I read, the 10 meters band is the largest single band we possess as amateur radio operators.
I don't know of anybody that is willing to give up one inch of spectrum right now.

What I would like to see is a raise of hands of people who agrees with me and your opinion on this subject.

WØTKX
08-04-2011, 11:01 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ruoPoVetOVo/Tjtev5Ecc1I/AAAAAAAAAsk/DQT09CF9p-c/s512/VikingVFOlulz.jpg

PA5COR
08-05-2011, 01:02 AM
Here it is the cab drivers from the Russians, sometimes freebanders, but quite seldom.
If i hear frreebanders, i use the frequency without reacting on them.

suddenseer
08-05-2011, 03:26 AM
I reminded them that if they had a license that it was illegal for them to talk to those people who did not have a license and that if the " " Freeband activity kept up, we would have to do something about it.I am having difficulty trying to understand your conflicting statement. You wrote "I reminded them" does that mean you violated the rules and made amateur to non amateur communications that was non emergency? You told them if they had a license that it was illegal to talk to those people? Let me get this straight, you communicated with non licensed operators on an amateur frequency, then told them if they had a license they would not be allowed to talk to illegals like you claim you did. I hope you realize that if you made a contact that clearly violates the rules, you have just jeopardized the license you apparently worked very hard for. You solicited my opinion: This post is a troll, or you need to get the study books back out and revisit the rules.

w2amr
08-05-2011, 04:23 AM
Shoot the bastages.

N8YX
08-05-2011, 05:39 AM
When Riley Hollingsworth was in charge of the FCC's Enforcement Bureau and was dealing with the encroachment of bootleg truckers into 10M, he opined that legitimate users of a frequency (hams) may use said frequency if unlicensed stations were present.

1kW of RTTY into an antenna of moderate to high gain does wonders at getting the attention of interlopers. As does a voice "CQ" overtop a nest of scofflaws. Just make sure the intruders are in fact unlicensed and haven't 'conveniently forgotten' to ID properly.

If the offending stations are local to you then hop in the car and DF them. Find their locations...make recordings of the illegal activity, taking care to accurately note dates, times, frequencies and all other pertinent information. Then forward the evidence to Laura Smith of the FCC's Enforcement Bureau. She'll put their balls in a vise.

KC2UGV
08-05-2011, 06:37 AM
I second N8YX here: Switch to PSK, RTTY, or CW :) And, since it's 10 meters, you'll most likely require your RF out to be turned full to the right, in order to make DX contacts.

PA5COR
08-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Some openings now on 10, whatareyou doing here?

K7SGJ
08-05-2011, 09:02 AM
It's rather hard to eliminate illegal operation in the ham bands when those responsible for enforcement of the rules doesn't give a shit. Same is true of all radio spectrum. Unless it is a very high profile case that would further the political career of someone at the FCC, or interference to a commercial or public service station is involved, you will likely see no action. Just spin the big knob an don't sweat it. It is not worth the ulcers. The FCC has become frustrating, at best. Many years back, I busted my ass for over a year getting ready for the Commercial First Phone. It was a lot of work. I really got pissed when all of that was dropped and you got converted to a General Class. And as the rules were further relaxed, one no longer needs a commercial license for anything other for aeronautical and maybe marine. It's obvious when you tune in the local ratchet rock FM station that is over processed and on the ragged edge of being within legal parameters. I'm glad I'm out of commercial radio anyway. The biggest issue for me was having to deal with the egos of the on air personalities.

W3WN
08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Jerry,

The sad fact of life is that there are all too many people who have purchased & modified amateur transceivers for use outside of our bands... thus all of the "golden screwdriver" related comments that you have or will come across.

Some of these users will operate wherever they can get away with it. Some are so-called freebanders, some are truckers & cabbies or other people in similar industries who are looking for "clear" frequencies, some are just jackasses. Pick one from column A, two from column B, and with 6 you get eggroll.

In short, they don't belong in our bands. And they don't care.

I have no qualms with you telling them that they are operating illegally, and as has already been noted, Riley K4ZDH more than once (when he was FCC's chief of Amateur enforcement) that it is not illegal or improper for you to do so, as it is part of our mantra of self-policing.

Just don't put your own arse at risk. Some of these scofflaws will threaten you for telling them what they already know, that they are doing something wrong. And believe me, they know.

And they can "stick up" for each other all they want. FCC rules are quite clear... you must have an Amateur license under FCC Part 97 to transmit in the Amateur 10 meter band. Period.

koØm
08-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Last night I came across a situation that doesn't happen very often.

A couple of outlaw radio operators - operating on the 10 meters - 28.400 MHz.
<snip>

<snip>
What I would like to see is a raise of hands of people who agrees with me and your opinion on this subject.

K4KWH, is that you; sure sounds a lot like him!

First, I am going to set the tone of my response and, let you know where I stand on this issue.

In my 40+ adult years, I've found that the best course of action is to mind my own business and, not to worry about things / people which I have no control of or, are not directly effected by. It is not my job / responsibility to attempt to police an electronic spectrum or another individuals who go out and spend their monies on a pieces of Rf / AF / Laser / Data transmitting-receiving equipment.

I am not on any "Grand Jury" to indict any rogue Hams, CB'ers, Freebanders, Boom-Boxers, Laser Geeks, or, IM Sexting phone users. You may find a couple of folks who support you on this venue but, I suspect that you would get more response from the self-righteous OF's at "That" other Amateur Radio website.

However, this is America and you are on a relatively "unmoderated" moderated website; responses to this message will rise or sink to the level they deserve.

M

kb2vxa
08-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Well Jerry, seems you've been around the bands long enough nothing should surprise or upset you so don't mind me if I'm just a bit perplexed. My introduction to 10M intruders came when I was first licensed in '95 and it was Steve Mendelsohn (ARRL) vs. NYC cabbies, a hard fought and finally won battle over FCC and TLC (Taxi and Limousine Commission) complacency. Frankly some may think of the FCC as a paper tiger now that Sir Riley of Hollingsworth has left but it's NOTHING compared to what it was before he came! My feelings on the matter are simple, do what you can legally through FCC channels and you've done your best, nothing satisfies more than a best effort regardless of the outcome (as long as you don't pee into the wind). Look at it this way, "the old man" invented the Wouff Hong, Rettysnitch and the Uggarumph for a reason, it's a never ending battle for TRUTH, JUSTICE, and the AMATEUR RADIO WAY!
(Cue Superman theme and think radio waves.)

Speaking of the old man, any thoughts on why he sold the Maxim machine gun to Germany on the eve of the war?

W3WN
08-05-2011, 09:49 AM
< snip >
Speaking of the old man, any thoughts on why he sold the Maxim machine gun to Germany on the eve of the war?I thought it was TOM's OM who invented the Maxim machine gun? Either way, was he running the company at the time?

on edit: It was his father, Sir Hiram Maxim, not TOM... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxim_gun, and it sounds like the family had little if anything to do with the company that made & sold it.

TOM... Hiram Percy Maxim... invented the Maxim silencer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiram_Percy_Maxim http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor

w2amr
08-05-2011, 01:50 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ruoPoVetOVo/Tjtev5Ecc1I/AAAAAAAAAsk/DQT09CF9p-c/s512/VikingVFOlulz.jpg
My Johnson 500. 4-400 modulated by a pair of 811's. QRO Cee Bee good buddy, C'mawn! :dance:

suddenseer
08-05-2011, 05:44 PM
My Johnson 500. 4-400 modulated by a pair of 811's. QRO Cee Bee good buddy, C'mawn! :dance:

4433Yea, but that classic radidio was made back in the days that 11M was still an amateur band. WAAAAAY before I was born don't ya know.

NQ6U
08-05-2011, 06:48 PM
My Johnson 500.

There you go, boasting about your Johnson again...

Jerry
08-05-2011, 10:22 PM
T.O.M. stood for The Old MAn.
I gave that history lesson last week on a net when they asked if anyone had ever heard of HPM.

I made the foopah of saying his call sign wrong - W1AW.

I didn't talk directly to them, I was involved in a QSO on 28.400 mhz USB with another legal ham when they intruded on the call channel. All Fat, Dumb and Happy.
I merely said to the person that I was talking to - that they don't belong there and that if they kept it up - I was going to turn them in.

My call sign is ( AB three NK )

I sent a email off to Gettysburgh PA yesterday and got a response and private link for contacting a observer the next time I heard those guys on the band.

Jerry
08-05-2011, 10:28 PM

That radio is illegal - due to the fact that no legal amateur radio equipment is allowed to operate on the 11 meters, nor is it legal to use a radio which is easily modified to work on the 11 meters band.

As the HAMS would say to me - when I first acquired a Ranger 2950 10 / 12 meter radio, that I needed to get rid of that over glorified CB radio and buy a real radio.

Funny thing is - it is only 25 watts, no frills and borrowed, running into a Antron 99 vertical antenna and tonight I was 5/8 into the Bahama's - talking to some idiot that was contesting - but was real particular who he wanted to talk to.

I don't really cotton to contesters.
I think that the people who checks in to those people are about as stupid as the contesters are.
The only contesters I like are the ones running QRP.
They get a real hoot out of talking to me with my puny 25 watts and no beam antenna.

REAL QRP in my opinion, only counts if you use a dipole antenna.

K7SGJ
08-05-2011, 10:46 PM
The radio is absolutely legal to own and operate by any ham radio operator who operates it within the parameters of their license. That radio, along with many others, was built at the time when 11 meters was an authorized band for amateur radio. Unlike other radio services, hams can own and operate just about any radio,as long as it is within the proper bands, power, and spectral purity as set forth by the FCC requirements. The only radios that they don't like are the ones on the FCC ban list. You can't buy or sell a radio on the ban list, in the US, but if you have one, and it meets the minimum technical specifications, there is no reason one could not use it.

K7SGJ
08-05-2011, 10:48 PM
dupe de dupe dupe dupe

KG4CGC
08-05-2011, 10:55 PM
That radio is illegal - due to the fact that no legal amateur radio equipment is allowed to operate on the 11 meters, nor is it legal to use a radio which is easily modified to work on the 11 meters band.

As the HAMS would say to me - when I first acquired a Ranger 2950 10 / 12 meter radio, that I needed to get rid of that over glorified CB radio and buy a real radio.

Funny thing is - it is only 25 watts, no frills and borrowed, running into a Antron 99 vertical antenna and tonight I was 5/8 into the Bahama's - talking to some idiot that was contesting - but was real particular who he wanted to talk to.

I don't really cotton to contesters.
I think that the people who checks in to those people are about as stupid as the contesters are.
The only contesters I like are the ones running QRP.
They get a real hoot out of talking to me with my puny 25 watts and no beam antenna.

REAL QRP in my opinion, only counts if you use a dipole antenna.
No, it is not illegal. Dual purpose export CBs are though. That old Johnson was made when 11m was a ham band for use on a secondary basis. It was a shared band with old hospital diathermy machines. Many of which were still in use di=uring the early 80s.

WØTKX
08-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Damn right it's legal, but it's not a radio... the pic is from a Johnson VFO.

Far more impressive than a Siltronix. :mrgreen:

I thought it was a fun way to reply to the OP, eh?

KG4CGC
08-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Damn right it's legal, but it's not a radio... the pic is from a Johnson VFO.

Far more impressive than a Siltronix. :mrgreen:

I thought it was a fun way to reply to the OP, eh?Yes it is. Yes it is.

w2amr
08-06-2011, 03:43 AM
There you go, boasting about your Johnson again...If you got it, flaunt it.

w2amr
08-06-2011, 03:50 AM

You really don't know what you're talking about , do you?

w2amr
08-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Yea, but that classic radidio was made back in the days that 11M was still an amateur band. WAAAAAY before I was born don't ya know.That's a big foe roga.

kb2crk
08-06-2011, 08:07 AM
When in doubt..... whip it out.....

that johnson is quite impressive......

N8YX
08-06-2011, 08:29 AM

No, it is not illegal. Dual purpose export CBs are though. That old Johnson was made when 11m was a ham band for use on a secondary basis. It was a shared band with old hospital diathermy machines. Many of which were still in use di=uring the early 80s.

Here is the actual picture of a Cubic radio package which I bought at Universal a few years back:

As delivered from the factory, the Ambassador covered 1.5-30MHz - both transmit and receive. A U.S.-specific version was configured not to transmit from 26.5-28.0MHz, but this was rather easily reversed.

All three of the rigs which I own at the moment are the "international" model. Legal to own? Quite. Legal to use on the air? Yes - on any segment for which I am licensed and in the services that require such, for which they are certificated. Class D CB not being one of those ranges, naturally.

That Cubic and the Ranger are very much alike in a couple of ways:

1) Both have a minimalistic set of controls;
2) Neither incorporates what could be viewed as 'effective' QRM/QRN-fighting features.

The Ambassador (or Astro-D, as listed in its model nomenclature) does meet 47 CFR 97 spectral purity requirements, and IIRC this is something which the Ranger won't. (If you're an ARRL member, a lab test article focusing on the RCI 2950 can be obtained from their website.)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a licensed radio amateur using one of the Ranger products on the air IF (big IF here) he or she can verify it meets said regulatory requirements. For this, a spectrum analyzer is required. If it passes, you're good to go. If not, you may be getting mail from Gettysburg about it.

I can personally attest as to just how "dirty" one of the 29x0 - series rigs actually can be. One day several years back I came upon what I thought was a bootlegger on the low end of 10M. An S-9 signal. I checked it with several shack receivers thinking that if the signal was an image, a rig with a different IF shouldn't exhibit the condition. All of them heard it. Long story short: The fundamental was located ~910KHz lower - in the CB band. The fundamental was ~20dB/S9, as measured by the same shack receivers' s-meters. 910KHz is 2x the Ranger's 2nd IF. In all probability the spurious signal was being caused by BFO leakage as the result of mis-tuning and/or improper design.

These faults can be corrected by someone who is willing to perform the work. Proper test equipment is a must for such an undertaking, however.

suddenseer
08-06-2011, 12:32 PM
I can personally attest as to just how "dirty" one of the 29x0 - series rigs actually can be. One day several years back I came upon what I thought was a bootlegger on the low end of 10M. An S-9 signal. I checked it with several shack receivers thinking that if the signal was an image, a rig with a different IF shouldn't exhibit the condition. All of them heard it. Long story short: The fundamental was located ~910KHz lower - in the CB band. The fundamental was ~20dB/S9, as measured by the same shack receivers' s-meters. 910KHz is 2x the Ranger's 2nd IF. In all probability the spurious signal was being caused by BFO leakage as the result of mis-tuning and/or improper design.

These faults can be corrected by someone who is willing to perform the work. Proper test equipment is a must for such an undertaking, however.

Roger (Beep) that. My late father in law got his Tech plus license shortly after I got back into the hobby in 94. He wanted to work dx, and not put out too much $$ at first. His brother in law (a ham) told him to get a mono band 10 meter rig. He purchased a Uniden President 2600 from Rude & Lude down in Hamilton. I set him up with a simple set of dipoles, and a ant switch. I knew these rigs were popular with cbers because they were easily modified. One night, one of the local older hams told him he had a junk cb radio, and it transmitted a dirty signal. That upset my father in law to the point he would not use it again until he got it tested. He got me involved. At that time of my life my friend was in charge of all radio equipment for a local municipality. I had full access to their bench equipment.

I tested his radio on a Bird Spectrum Analyzer. It only tx something like 20 watts. I injected a two tone audio 20db IIRC 900hz/1800hz. The third distortion products were attenuated about 50db, the fifth were down 60db. I checked his carrier suppression, it was cut about 50db. I only tested the lsb suppression with a 2khz tone IIRC,and the tx at full power about 20 watts. The lsb sig was down about 40 db.

I took the radio back to him with a print out of the results. I told him if anyone else gives him shit about his "cb" tell them to blow it out their ass. I do not know what the cb requirements are, but this little radio is in my opinion acceptable for amateur use, since there is not a legal requirement except part 15. I could be mistaken, because I have not kept up with the rules in 10 years or so. I used it in my car about 10 years ago when I inherited it. I had a bunch of fun when the band was up. I am sure when someone gets a golden screwdriver inside, all bets are off. It does not have a roger beep either. Is this radio considered an export model? I really don't know, I have not kept up with all of those regs because it does not affect my life much. The radio is sitting in the closet on top of a HW-104. Probably dusty.

Jerry
08-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Actually if you read the rules of the Part 97 - and I am not going to quote them to you, if the radio is easily modified - it is not acceptable as a part 97 radio, hence the reason for this is due to the fact that the part 95 says that the PEP shall not exceed 12 watts on the 11 meters.

If by just cutting out a diode and or snipping one or two wires, a 10 meter " " Export radio can be converted into a 11 meter radio - then it is illegal, and any shop doing this modification is in violation of the rules - and are the ones you read about in the FCC reports from time to time.

If you look at a Brand New Ranger 10 meter mobile radio - you will find that the design has been changed and to modify it to work on the 11 meters - will cost almost as much as the radio - by the time you purchase the radio and pay someone to remove the chip and modify it and align it to work on the 11 and 10 meters.

Part 97 says that it is also ok for a amateur license holder to make or modify an amplifier from time to time, but it has to meet all spurious emissions requirements and if you make more then 2 or 3 per a year - you have to register your handiwork with the FCC and they will be coming around to check on your work and your records.

Which means if you put your education to work, trying to line your pockets with the money of desperate CB'rs who are interested in more power, by selling them modified amateur radio equipment and the FCC finds out about it - kiss your license and your bank account good bye.

They come to your shack, place of business or vehicle, confiscate all your radios - not just the illegal ones, either smash them right there on the spot and give you a fine not less then $1500.00 and not more then $15,000 per a violation and welcome you to come to a hearing at a local office to plead your case.

KG4CGC
08-06-2011, 01:07 PM
So why are you saying that now? You've already indicted yourself over a week ago.

Actually if you read the rules of the Part 97 - and I am not going to quote them to you, if the radio is easily modified - it is not acceptable as a part 97 radio, hence the reason for this is due to the fact that the part 95 says that the PEP shall not exceed 12 watts on the 11 meters.

If by just cutting out a diode and or snipping one or two wires, a 10 meter " " Export radio can be converted into a 11 meter radio - then it is illegal, and any shop doing this modification is in violation of the rules - and are the ones you read about in the FCC reports from time to time.

If you look at a Brand New Ranger 10 meter mobile radio - you will find that the design has been changed and to modify it to work on the 11 meters - will cost almost as much as the radio - by the time you purchase the radio and pay someone to remove the chip and modify it and align it to work on the 11 and 10 meters.

Part 97 says that it is also ok for a amateur license holder to make or modify an amplifier from time to time, but it has to meet all spurious emissions requirements and if you make more then 2 or 3 per a year - you have to register your handiwork with the FCC and they will be coming around to check on your work and your records.

Which means if you put your education to work, trying to line your pockets with the money of desperate CB'rs who are interested in more power, by selling them modified amateur radio equipment and the FCC finds out about it - kiss your license and your bank account good bye.

They come to your shack, place of business or vehicle, confiscate all your radios - not just the illegal ones, either smash them right there on the spot and give you a fine not less then $1500.00 and not more then $15,000 per a violation and welcome you to come to a hearing at a local office to plead your case.

N8YX
08-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Tim,

His brother in law (a ham) told him to get a mono band 10 meter rig. He purchased a Uniden President 2600 from Rude & Lude down in Hamilton. I set him up with a simple set of dipoles, and a ant switch. I knew these rigs were popular with cbers because they were easily modified.

The FCC really screwed the pooch with this one. Uniden made four versions of the HR-2xxx rig, and the main differences involved the face plate (controls) and CPU type:

1) Early generation HR-2510. This rig used a 1201-series CPU and could be 'expanded' to cover 26-30MHz (including a neat Ch 1-40 "band") simply by lifting a couple of the CPU pins above ground and connecting them to +5v via a 1k resistor.
2) Late generation HR-2510. Used a 1205-series CPU and could not be 'expanded'.
3) HR-2600. Incorporated a 1205 CPU and offered 100KHz TX split for 10M FM repeaters, along with a built-in CTCSS generator.
4) Lincoln. I'm not sure about the CPU programming on this one but it had a variable power output control and the faceplate was laid out a little differently than the others, albeit using the same basic casting.

Rigs 2 through 4 could be 'expanded' IF one replaced the CPU with a so-called "Chipswitch". Doing so required one to de-solder a high-density 64-pin DIP and replace it with another, all the while managing to not destroy the controller PCB. Not at all what I'd consider 'easy'. By comparison, one can completely unlock the transmitter of most modern-day HF amateur transceivers by simply cutting one diode, wire or resistor.

One night, one of the local older hams told him he had a junk cb radio, and it transmitted a dirty signal.

I usually refrain from telling the locals what I'm running unless they ask. If one was so brazen as to make that kind of statement I might actually put one of my converted CBs on the air, do an A/B comparison between it and a random 'amateur' transceiver here in the shack and ask the old geezer to see if he can tell which is which. Then calmly inform said geezer that A) I'm watching my output with an analyzer and it looks clean; B) I'm watching HIS output with another analyzer...and he'd do well to keep the diddlesticks OUT of said rig, as his slip (and the rig's spurs) are showing.

...but this little radio is in my opinion acceptable for amateur use, since there is not a legal requirement except part 15.

Going by the measurements cited above, you are correct.

It does not have a roger beep either.

Correct again - it was replaced by the "RPT" (offset) switch. I have one each HR-2510 and 2600 - the 2510 does have a 'Roger beep'. The offset switch is far more useful.

Is this radio considered an export model?

Yes, and IMHO this was a faux pas by the FCC - for the reasons stated above.

w2amr
08-06-2011, 01:27 PM
So why are you saying that now? You've already indicted yourself over a week ago.Know what I think? I think he's Romeo- United -Delta-Yankee.:whistle:

w2amr
08-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Or an unreasonable facsimile.

suddenseer
08-06-2011, 01:53 PM
The FCC really screwed the pooch with this one. Uniden made four versions of the HR-2xxx rig, and the main differences involved the face plate (controls) and CPU type:

1) Early generation HR-2510. This rig used a 1201-series CPU and could be 'expanded' to cover 26-30MHz (including a neat Ch 1-40 "band") simply by lifting a couple of the CPU pins above ground and connecting them to +5v via a 1k resistor.
2) Late generation HR-2510. Used a 1205-series CPU and could not be 'expanded'.
3) HR-2600. Incorporated a 1205 CPU and offered 100KHz TX split for 10M FM repeaters, along with a built-in CTCSS generator.
4) Lincoln. I'm not sure about the CPU programming on this one but it had a variable power output control and the faceplate was laid out a little differently than the others, albeit using the same basic casting.
This one has the repeater offset switch, I don't think it has a tone board. I will have to fire it up, and see. The fm tx is 10 watts I think. I had no problem hitting the open carrier repeaters that propagation allowed. It seemed I had a pipeline to the 29.62 machines in NYC, and Bahamas. I am not worried what others may think. I had a helluva lot of fun with it back in the day, totally within the scope of the rules. I used a trimmed down 1/4 whip cb ant I found in a garage sale for $5. I tied the top to the luggage rack with fishing line, real ham sexy. I strapped a bencher to my leg, had a blast driving to work when the band was open. except on the interstate because of a few truckers running spurs and a KW.

suddenseer
08-06-2011, 01:59 PM
When in doubt..... whip it out.....

that johnson is quite impressive......Indeed. Probably only a few hundred scattered around the world left. The only radio I would trade my truck for.

suddenseer
08-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Or an unreasonable facsimile.Hello?

N8YX
08-06-2011, 03:26 PM
This one has the repeater offset switch, I don't think it has a tone board.

AFAIK, all of the 2600s came with one installed from the factory. Open 'er up and check.

I will have to fire it up, and see. The fm tx is 10 watts I think. I had no problem hitting the open carrier repeaters that propagation allowed. It seemed I had a pipeline to the 29.62 machines in NYC, and Bahamas. I am not worried what others may think. I had a helluva lot of fun with it back in the day, totally within the scope of the rules.

As long as the rig meets Part 97 specifications, I don't give a flying fraq about anyone's opinion of my equipment. Haterz gonna hate. They'd also be pi$$ed off if I went out and dropped 20-long on a new Hilberling PT-8000 and proceeded to check into their Geritol Net with it.

I used a trimmed down 1/4 whip cb ant I found in a garage sale for $5. I tied the top to the luggage rack with fishing line, real ham sexy. I strapped a bencher to my leg, had a blast driving to work when the band was open. except on the interstate because of a few truckers running spurs and a KW.

Same here, except with the '2510. Where the radio fell short is in the face of heavy interference, but there's no way I could justify putting $2,000+ worth of high-performance radio in the car and risk someone stealing it.

When I had packet node BARBER in operation from late 1993 through late 2005 I had the '2510 on its 10M 1200-baud port (28.195). There was a conference node in Arizona (AZSE) and as soon as the band came up between our stations in the morning, users would jump on the link and pound it until the band gave out - sometimes after midnight.

In all that time, the radio never hiccuped once.

suddenseer
08-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Same here, except with the '2510. Where the radio fell short is in the face of heavy interference, but there's no way I could justify putting $2,000+ worth of high-performance radio in the car and risk someone stealing it.

When I had packet node BARBER in operation from late 1993 through late 2005 I had the '2510 on its 10M 1200-baud port (28.195). There was a conference node in Arizona (AZSE) and as soon as the band came up between our stations in the morning, users would jump on the link and pound it until the band gave out - sometimes after midnight.

In all that time, the radio never hiccuped once.

It is sooooo friggin cool to have fun for a few bux. The wealthy appliance operators don't have a clue.

Happy_Hamer
08-06-2011, 06:43 PM
First I challenge anyone here to find the BANNED RADIO LIST on the FCC Website, it does not exist.

Second,

Jerry you need to re-read that and make sure you know what you are talking about.

If that was the case the FT-840 would have been an illegal radio YEARS AGO, all you had to do was ground one lead while powering up the radio and it opens it up.

You have yet to quote exactly what you say, you copy and paste all the wrong info and still cannot back up your claims.

The radio is absolutely legal to own and operate by any ham radio operator who operates it within the parameters of their license. That radio, along with many others, was built at the time when 11 meters was an authorized band for amateur radio. Unlike other radio services, hams can own and operate just about any radio,as long as it is within the proper bands, power, and spectral purity as set forth by the FCC requirements. The only radios that they don't like are the ones on the FCC ban list. You can't buy or sell a radio on the ban list, in the US, but if you have one, and it meets the minimum technical specifications, there is no reason one could not use it.

KC2UGV
08-06-2011, 06:56 PM
First I challenge anyone here to find the BANNED RADIO LIST on the FCC Website, it does not exist.
...clip...

Here's one:
http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-254041A1.html

A (http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-254041A1.html)nother:
http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-253693A1.html
(http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-253693A1.html)

Happy_Hamer
08-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Yet those are not the Banned List and they are from 2003 and 2004.

Those are no longer pending cases because that list Does not exist.

Happy_Hamer
08-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Oh, and the Yaesu FT-2800 was even easier to "work on the CB Band" Nothing removed at all!!!!!

With the power off, press and hold both the LOW and the D/MR buttons.
Turn on the radio while holding those buttons.
Modification is complete

:cool2:

KC2UGV
08-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Yet those are not the Banned List and they are from 2003 and 2004.

Those are no longer pending cases because that list Does not exist.

Right, not pending, because it's already been settled. You asked for a list on the FCC site of prohibited radios. I posted a list.

But, a list is not needed. Any list that is able to transmit on 11 meters, and any other band is prohibited. Also, any radio not certificated is not for sale.

Should you have a question about a specific radio, feel free to contact the FCC about it.

Happy_Hamer
08-06-2011, 08:07 PM
There is no specific list because the FCC was challenged and lost and that "banned list" on QTH that jerry refers to has been removed is my point.

KC2UGV
08-06-2011, 08:10 PM
There is no specific list because the FCC was challenged and lost and that "banned list" on QTH that jerry refers to has been removed is my point.

I supplied a list of radios cited for directly from the FCC. Not on QTH. And, those companies paid their citations.

Happy_Hamer
08-06-2011, 08:12 PM
OK, I guess I should change my challenge, please provide a current list. And the list you showed was what the person was selling, not the banned list

KC2UGV
08-06-2011, 08:37 PM
OK, I guess I should change my challenge, please provide a current list. And the list you showed was what the person was selling, not the banned list

It was a list of prohibited radios, not all-inclusive. If they were prohibited once, and no news of not being prohibited still; then it's considered current. Why are you concerned? Worried about a certain site swapping these radios currently, in violation? QRZ is prohibiting their sales, last I checked.

Happy_Hamer
08-06-2011, 08:46 PM
It was a list of prohibited radios, not all-inclusive. If they were prohibited once, and no news of not being prohibited still; then it's considered current. Why are you concerned? Worried about a certain site swapping these radios currently, in violation? QRZ is prohibiting their sales, last I checked.

Not concerned at all, they do allow them to be sold because they are not illegal.

WØTKX
08-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Lists may have been published in the past, but this is a moving target for the FCC. Why would they care to publish a list of "naughty radios" when the names and cases can be changed easily? The rules are "an un-modified FCC certified radio". Period.But do carry on with this nonsense... (yawn).BTW, one of my Ten Tec rigs will also transmit from 1mhz to 30 by holding three buttons down while powering up. No AM mode. It's not an illegal radio at all, it was designed that way.

KC2UGV
08-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Not concerned at all, they do allow them to be sold because they are not illegal.

Um, no:
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?168457-QRZ-Warned-by-the-FCC&highlight=fcc+complaint

Happy_Hamer
08-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Again, look at the date on that post, things have changed, anyway I do not feel like arguing here, I enjoy the place and I do not want to feed into the rants of Jerry

KG4CGC
08-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Like I said before, I don't know why people love these radios so much. They're poorly designed and constructed and sound terrible on the air. They're already on the 'overmodulated' side before they get the snip. For the price, you can get a full on HF radio and if you just have to have a 'loud and proud' CB, add an amplified mic and be done with it.
Want to get on 10m, HF!

N8YX
08-06-2011, 09:17 PM
BTW, one of my Ten Tec rigs will also transmit from 1mhz to 30 by holding three buttons down while powering up. No AM mode.

It's therefore useless, I say USELESS on Charlie Babbit!

(Give me an old Tram D-201A or Dak Mark X for that tooooby 11M sound.)

kb2crk
08-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I guess my Kenwood TS 570 DG is illegal because it will transmit in the CB band. The radios the were listed as banned were banned for sale as CB's and could not be certified as such. A ham can modify, build or shit out and use anything as long as it's signal is clean.

KG4CGC
08-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Dual purpose CBs are still illegal. That has not changed. You might be able to buy them here or there but they are still not legal.

W3MPS
08-06-2011, 11:04 PM
*Yawn* Sounds like the Uptight Citizen's Brigade to me. This seems like it's devolving into a stereotypical discussion that can be found all day, every day on the Zed.

Denizen of the Zed: "That (Connex, Magnum, Galaxy, Ranger.... etc) 10M 'export' is illegal to sell, own, or even look at because it can be easily converted to be used on the CB bands!"

Big deal! A Phillips screw driver, a pair of wire cutters, about 5 minutes and one diode eliminated later........ Guess what? My Kenwood TS440 can do 1.8 all the way up to 30 MHz transmit. Including the little slice of heaven from 26.965 to 27.405 MHz. Now, whether or not I actually key the microphone on unauthorized frequencies is the crux of the matter. Until one does that, no laws have been violated.

This particular argument is about as passe as the code vs. no code debate.

Can we get a new dead horse? They beat the other one until there was nothing left.

KG4CGC
08-06-2011, 11:58 PM
*Yawn* Sounds like the Uptight Citizen's Brigade to me. This seems like it's devolving into a stereotypical discussion that can be found all day, every day on the Zed.

Denizen of the Zed: "That (Connex, Magnum, Galaxy, Ranger.... etc) 10M 'export' is illegal to sell, own, or even look at because it can be easily converted to be used on the CB bands!"

Big deal! A Phillips screw driver, a pair of wire cutters, about 5 minutes and one diode eliminated later........ Guess what? My Kenwood TS440 can do 1.8 all the way up to 30 MHz transmit. Including the little slice of heaven from 26.965 to 27.405 MHz. Now, whether or not I actually key the microphone on unauthorized frequencies is the crux of the matter. Until one does that, no laws have been violated.

Can we get a new dead horse? They beat the other one until there was nothing left.

Why do you say that?

n2ize
08-07-2011, 04:49 AM

It's a Johnson Viking 2 VFO. It was built in 1952. Back in 1952 11 meters was a HAM BAND. All my old E.F. Johnson Transmitters (circa 1950) have 11 meter capability. And no, they are NOT illegal radios. Nor were they modified for 11 meters. They were built with 11 the 11 meter band.

Then there is a variant. Johnson Viking 2 CD Version (c. 1950), designed for civil defense. It has full MW-HF coverage from the top of the AM Bcast band right on up to 30 mc with no gaps. It too is legal to use provided you run it on the ham bands.

N8YX
08-07-2011, 07:08 AM

If all the 'export radios' you mentioned were in fact as spectrally pure as the TS-440S, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The fact is, they're not. And the condition tends to be exacerbated by the application of the so-called Golden Screwdriver. This results in what amounts to the efflux of that horse you mentioned being spread far up and down the spectrum adjacent to where the set is operating.

Unless they use the band themselves, most hams could care less about what happens 'fundamentally' on 11M - and which equipment is used there. It's simply not a major concern. Spuriously, and by direct intrusion (via bootleg operation) is another matter entirely. That will definitely galvanize many of us into a recording/documenting/letter-writing campaign. A campaign which works very well, one might add.

If the quasi-legal wish to operate unhindered and hassle-free, they ought to take stock of a few things:

1) Where 10M begins;
2) Frequencies within the 26-28MHz spectrum that are allocated to US Navy, CAP and select other government entities;
3) That the idiot 'technician' at the local truck stop whose test bench consists solely of a Dosy watt meter, set of jeweler's screwdrivers (rather than tuning wands) and a pair of diagonal cutters (for "pulling the radio's tooth!", or eliminating the modulation limiter circuitry) is NOT your friend;
4) The meaning of OPSEC;
5) The meaning of STFU as it applies to openly bragging on the Internet about your illegal activities...particularly if you are a licensed amateur.
6) Item 5 also applies to giving your assigned amateur callsign on the so-called 'freeband'.

Put simply:

If I don't hear you (the CBer) where I operate, I could care less what you do. But it's up to you to ensure I don't.

kb2crk
08-07-2011, 07:21 AM
even though my kenwood will transmit in the 11 meter band, it has never been used on it. that honor is reserved for the Mocat 2020 and the SBE Console II.

w2amr
08-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Hello?Hello yourself.

KE6LYU
08-09-2011, 07:39 PM
( First post here, had to make it this thread because I have had the pleasure of running into Jerry before, so Howdy Folks )

Wow, Jerry gets around.
He gets all confused and starts mixing part 95 with part 97 together.
Has he told you guys That he lives just outside of Punxsutawney PA. And In the 70's - a bunch of loud mouths from Texas bought beam antenna's, amplifiers, illegal radios and power microphones and they talked day and night,Yelling, screaming, playing music, swearing.
One by one the CB radios were turned off, the antenna's took down, the radios sold, the only people left were the poor white trash?

( please note that these are his words, not mine)
Jerry needs a ticket for the Way-back Machine so he can get back to 1970 and fire his Cobra 29 GTL back up and only talk to people that speak the "Queens English" on the radio.
73 KE6LYU

N8YX
08-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Greetings, and welcome to The Island!

Our barkeep will be along with your favorite beverage momentarily...

NQ6U
08-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the info, Jeff. Welcome to the Island—I think that there are finally enough of us Six-Landers here now for a hostile takeover.

Charles, give 'LYU the drink of his choice and put it on my tab.

kb2crk
08-09-2011, 08:39 PM
i would be careful with the hostile take over crap. there are quite a few yankees here.....lol

KG4CGC
08-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Someone say drinks? Hello New Guy!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/boat_drinks.jpg

Jerry
08-09-2011, 09:25 PM
KC2UGV - I'm sorry, but you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em drink.
You are beating a dead horse on this one.

Instead of posting a list of illegal radios - just post Part 97 in it's entirety, where it says that no new radio which can operate on both 10 and 11 meters, which can be easily modified from it's original form, designed and built for 10 meters, but can be easily converted to 11 meters, by way of snipping one wire, or removing a diode - shall not be legal for sale in the good old USA!

Just telling some internet idiot that it is illegal - isn't going to prove anything to someone who wants to be a idiot. Winning a argument on the internet is a lot like winning the Special Olympics. Even if you win - you are still a retard.

The point is - the design of the Ranger radios has been changed since the FCC got off it's ass and got on the case of these so called IMPORT radio manufacturers.

The bottom line is - you might even be able to buy one from AES or Ham Radio Outlet, but the first thing either place does when you make a order is ask you WHAT IS YOUR CALL SIGN?

It should be illegal to sell Amateur radio equipment to non amateur radio operators.
This is probably one reason why the used radios command such a high price on Flea Bay - because idiots that thinks that they are doing something illegal - just by owning one, and might even imitate a Ham Radio operator - just by making up a call sign or borrowing someone Else's call sign, can and might operate a ham radio illegally.

This is the reason why I check every QSO against the QRZ data base while I am talking to them. If their info doesn't jive, and they don't know the lingo - the call sign gets wrote down, the conversation gets recorded on my computer and a friendly letter gets sent to the FCC.

Just for a example.
There is a club in the next town over that has a bunch of members.
One of their members was from Sweeden or some other foreign country.
His call sign was real unusual and he refused to change his call sign.
We came to find out that he has been in this country for the past 10+ years and has been working the HF with his Novice class license. He wasn't even a Technician class license holder.

Legally he was allowed to work code on a couple of frequencies and was allowed I think on the 2 meters and 440 and that was it.

The local club tried to get him a General Class License without first making him take the Technician class license and in the end they denied his application for General Class license because he was not eligible for it until he passed his Tech license test.

Basically the VE's should have been held accountable, but his license was probably written in Swedish or something and he didn't produce his license or FRN number - because his license was foreign and not under the jurisdiction of the FCC.

Technically the VE's should have been held accountable for not checking his license status before rubber stamping his application for General Class License.
After all the FCC doesn't look at the exam and he was in the buddy club and I know there was some crap going on.

Needless to say - at the next months VE test session, they rubber stamped his application for Technician Class License and then Rubber stamped his application for General Class License and that was how he got his American license call sign.

Moral of the story, I know he didn't take his Technician Class License exam and I know for a fact that he didn't take his General Exam a second time.

I know what goes on in the Amateur Radio World and I know how Ham's sometimes pulls strings for their buddies, even though they jeopardize loosing their own license if they get caught. I also know that from time to time, when hard up, some ham clubs will sell licenses for a donation or give a license CSC Certificate of Successful Completion - even when the person wasn't capable of passing the exam.
One guy has Cerebral Palsy and another is practically brain dead, yet they both have ham radio licenses.

They don't talk on the radio, but they do check in on nets weekly and belong to clubs.

I even know one guy that owned broadcast radio stations and sold mobile radios back in the day, who built a tower and set up his own repeater, who doesn't know much if anything about amateur radio, but has a license because their club wanted to use his tower for their repeater.

This stuff goes on all the time.

The bottom line is - what I originally posted was that I was upset about Free Banders.
Free Bander - a person that uses a Amateur Radio frequency and radio - although they do not hold any class of license or privileges to use those frequencies.

The bottom line is - we as hams has a obligation to police our own.
If we know that things like this is going on and we do not speak up and let it go on, then we are just as guilty as the people who are breaking the rules.
It is our duty to turn those individuals in for their illegal activities and keep those people off our bands.

If you don't agree - then don't.
It's not open for discussion.

If you are one of the individuals that I just mentioned - that is operating illegally or knows someone that is and you don't turn the SOB in, then you are just as guilty as the person that is breaking the rules.
It's not fair that I had to study hard for a couple of months for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week to get my licenses. Why should someone else just be handed their license?
Why should someone be allowed to operate where I was not allowed to operate before I had a license.

If you have a problem with someone like that - then go over to their house and stick a needle in their coax and cut it off. It won't be long before they are off the air.

Because

W3WN
08-09-2011, 09:53 PM
i would be careful with the hostile take over crap. there are quite a few yankees here.....lolYankees? Here? Shouldn't they be busy worrying about the Red Sox and the AL East right now?

K7SGJ
08-09-2011, 10:18 PM
KC2UGV - I'm sorry, but you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make em drink.

Instead of posting a list of illegal radios - just post Part 97 in it's entirety, where it says that no new radio which can operate on both 10 and 11 meters, which can be easily modified from it's original form, designed and built for 10 meters, but can be easily converted to 11 meters, by way of snipping one wire, or removing a diode - shall not be legal for sale in the good old USA!

Just telling some internet idiot that it is illegal - isn't going to prove anything to someone who wants to be a idiot. Winning a argument on the internet is a lot like winning the Special Olympics. Even if you win - you are still a retard.

The point is - the design of the Ranger radios has been changed since the FCC got off it's ass and got on the case of these so called IMPORT radio manufacturers.

The bottom line is - you might even be able to buy one from AES or Ham Radio Outlet, but the first thing either place does when you make a order is ask you WHAT IS YOUR CALL SIGN?

It should be illegal to sell Amateur radio equipment to non amateur radio operators.
This is probably one reason why the used radios command such a high price on Flea Bay - because idiots that thinks that they are doing something illegal - just by owning one, and might even imitate a Ham Radio operator - just by making up a call sign or borrowing someone Else's call sign, can and might operate a ham radio illegally.

This is the reason why I check every QSO against the QRZ data base while I am talking to them. If their info doesn't jive, and they don't know the lingo - the call sign gets wrote down, the conversation gets recorded on my computer and a friendly letter gets sent to the FCC.

Just for a example.
There is a club in the next town over that has a bunch of members.
One of their members was from Sweeden or some other foreign country.
His call sign was real unusual and he refused to change his call sign.
We came to find out that he has been in this country for the past 10+ years and has been working the HF with his Novice class license. He wasn't even a Technician class license holder.

Legally he was allowed to work code on a couple of frequencies and was allowed I think on the 2 meters and 440 and that was it.

The local club tried to get him a General Class License without first making him take the Technician class license and in the end they denied his application for General Class license because he was not eligible for it until he passed his Tech license test.

Basically the VE's should have been held accountable, but his license was probably written in Swedish or something and he didn't produce his license or FRN number - because his license was foreign and not under the jurisdiction of the FCC.

Technically the VE's should have been held accountable for not checking his license status before rubber stamping his application for General Class License.
After all the FCC doesn't look at the exam and he was in the buddy club and I know there was some crap going on.

Needless to say - at the next months VE test session, they rubber stamped his application for Technician Class License and then Rubber stamped his application for General Class License and that was how he got his American license call sign.

Moral of the story, I know he didn't take his Technician Class License exam and I know for a fact that he didn't take his General Exam a second time.

I know what goes on in the Amateur Radio World and I know how Ham's sometimes pulls strings for their buddies, even though they jeopardize loosing their own license if they get caught. I also know that from time to time, when hard up, some ham clubs will sell licenses for a donation or give a license CSC Certificate of Successful Completion - even when the person wasn't capable of passing the exam.
One guy has Cerebral Palsy and another is practically brain dead, yet they both have ham radio licenses.

They don't talk on the radio, but they do check in on nets weekly and belong to clubs.

I even know one guy that owned broadcast radio stations and sold mobile radios back in the day, who built a tower and set up his own repeater, who doesn't know much if anything about amateur radio, but has a license because their club wanted to use his tower for their repeater.

This stuff goes on all the time.

The bottom line is - what I originally posted was that I was upset about Free Banders.
Free Bander - a person that uses a Amateur Radio frequency and radio - although they do not hold any class of license or privileges to use those frequencies.

The bottom line is - we as hams has a obligation to police our own.
If we know that things like this is going on and we do not speak up and let it go on, then we are just as guilty as the people who are breaking the rules.
It is our duty to turn those individuals in for their illegal activities and keep those people off our bands.

If you don't agree - then don't.
It's not open for discussion.

If you are one of the individuals that I just mentioned - that is operating illegally or knows someone that is and you don't turn the SOB in, then you are just as guilty as the person that is breaking the rules.
It's not fair that I had to study hard for a couple of months for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week to get my licenses. Why should someone else just be handed their license?
Why should someone be allowed to operate where I was not allowed to operate before I had a license.

If you have a problem with someone like that - then go over to their house and stick a needle in their coax and cut it off. It won't be long before they are off the air.

Because

AAHA! Reading this post turned on the light. This isn't Jerry. There is no Jerry. This is N5PVL, isn't it Chuckles? C'mon OM. Fess up. Got you cold dude. Wasup Chuck?

Barkeep. A round all around the Island. I'll be fishing at the cove. Something different for my new bestest mystery ham.

ki4itv
08-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the info, Jeff. Welcome to the Island—I think that there are finally enough of us Six-Landers here now for a hostile takeover.

Charles, give 'LYU the drink of his choice and put it on my tab.

Luke and I will burn Richmond before you take us over.:lol:

ki4itv
08-09-2011, 10:22 PM
AAHA! Reading this post turned on the light. This isn't Jerry. There is no Jerry. This is N5PVL, isn't it Chuckles? C'mon OM. Fess up. Got you cold dude. Wasup Chuck?
There's only one way to really find out. The bait he can't possibly resist...
We have to break out the "HF packet is dead" card.:twisted:

K7SGJ
08-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Sailmail???????

NA4BH
08-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Everyone knows packet is dead. :whistle:

ki4itv
08-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Sailmail???????

Please...and I have been so good. Don't send me down the PacTOR rant road.
Now there's a good use for eleven meters.

KG4CGC
08-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Hi Chuckles.

While I disagree with this, I understand the sentiment.

When I was a SWL, everyone and their mother always told me, the best receiver is a transceiver and that I had to get one if I was really serious about SWLing.

VE7MGF
08-09-2011, 11:08 PM
why should it be illegal
you can own a car and not have a drivers permit
its up to the person who owns the equipment to use it within the law

KG4CGC
08-09-2011, 11:14 PM
why should it be illegal

It shouldn't be illegal but a lot of people in the world are not happy if others are. It's about keeping others at a lower level of happiness because you're not happy. It's the kind of thing that kept the US in the state that it's in. Can't stand those happy hippies, gotdammit!

K7SGJ
08-09-2011, 11:20 PM
why should it be illegal

It should be ilegal to sell a motor vehicle to anyone with or without a drivers permit. Let's face it, the first thing the do is pull off the cat converter and muffler. Put in headers that go to straight pipes. Put in NOX, put "bordello red" mood light under the dash and under the vehicle. You know they will drive fast and furiously, make all kinds of noise, break every law, and play their radios full-tilt-boogie on some bizzare station. Like KUNT...a little fuzzy but easy to pick up.

KG4CGC
08-09-2011, 11:27 PM
It should be ilegal to sell a motor vehicle to anyone with or without a drivers permit. Let's face it, the first thing the do is pull off the cat converter and muffler. Put in headers that go to straight pipes. Put in NOX, put "bordello red" mood light under the dash and under the vehicle. You know they will drive fast and furiously, make all kinds of noise, break every law, and play their radios full-tilt-boogie on some bizzare station. Like KUNT...a little fuzzy but easy to pick up.

Did you just come up with that off the top of your head? Because if you did, I want to shake your hand sir.

K7SGJ
08-09-2011, 11:31 PM
I did and no problem. My hand will be available for shaking, shortly.

KG4CGC
08-09-2011, 11:33 PM
I did and no problem. My hand will be available for shaking, shortly.Now I'm thinking you should wash it for a week and not us it for anything.

ki4itv
08-09-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm gong to re-read this thread.

WX7P
08-09-2011, 11:48 PM

blah blah blah blah....

You think you're really original with all of this bullshit, don't you, genius.

I don't own this website, I'm just a lowly member, but I do have an opinion.

Why don't you take this whining about freebanders and CB to the zed? You can whine to your heart's content there and you'll have plenty of company.

I've been a ham for 28 years and the shit you're whining about is similiar to the same nonsense spewed in the early '80's. You think because some newbie recycles old CB hate speech, it's all going to miraculously change?

The "I worked hard for license" whine is pretty funny. I worked hard for mine too, Novice, Technician, General, Advanced and 20 WPM Extra. I did it because that's what the rules were at the time. Old timer whiners howled at the moon over the VEC program because the test wasn't adminstered by the FCC anymore. I wasn't a "real" extra because my test was before a VEC. Complete poppycock, as is anyone who trashes a newcomer for his license if the license was gained under the rules as they are.

You need to get off of this kick that you are somehow "special" because you have a goddamn ham radio license. You're not. You're a member of the community, that's it, and your opinion is just that, your opinion. You aren't going to change anything by sipping the same whine that has been spewed out over decades. If you'd take the time to research this problem, you'd recognize how silly some of your comments are in the context of time.

N8YX
08-10-2011, 03:43 AM
http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/clapping/citizen_cane.gif

KC2UGV
08-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Somebody say Winlink?

KJ3N
08-10-2011, 06:48 AM
Everyone knows packet is dead. :whistle:

Except N5PVL. :roll:

KJ3N
08-10-2011, 06:54 AM
You need to get off of this kick that you are somehow "special" ....

Yeah, he's "special" alright....

http://www.bay-of-fundie.com/img/2009/special-ed.jpg

ad4mg
08-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Luke and I will burn Richmond before you take us over.:lol:

Hell, yeah! :-D

BTW - this is a funny thread. How did it play on the re-read? :hyper:

kb2vxa
08-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Oh .. cause I gonna make you see,
There's nobody else here, no one like me.
I'm special, so special.
I got to have some of your attention, give it to me!
'Cause I gonna make you see
there's nobody else here, no one like me,
I'm special, so special.
I got to have some of your attention, give it to me.

I'm no Pretender, just a grumpy old bastid.

W3WN
08-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Except N5PVL. :roll:Now, now. No picking on our delusional Texan.

( At least wait until I've sharpened my axe... )

K7SGJ
08-10-2011, 12:28 PM
I thought all Texas were delusional.

NQ6U
08-10-2011, 01:07 PM
I thought all Texas were delusional.

They are. It's the only way they can remain living in that butt-ugly hell-hole of a state.

K7SGJ
08-10-2011, 03:31 PM
Can you imagine crossing that state in a covered wagon. I can't even imagine it in a station wagon.

KG4CGC
08-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Can you imagine crossing that state in a covered wagon. I can't even imagine it in a station wagon.
To cross country travelers, go around Louisiana and Texas. Random traffic stops never end well for out of state tags. That was my advice 2 years ago. I suppose we could add a few more states to the list now.

KE6LYU
08-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Jerry won`t give up, even after he burns out on this forum, he will move on to the next one, he has his own agenda.
As for the List he keeps talking about, it got removed last year from the FCC web site, because of a court case files last summer.

KE6LYU

NQ6U
08-10-2011, 05:14 PM

I've done it in a big rig far more times than I care to remember. It takes for-fucking-ever.

Happy_Hamer
08-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Jerry = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ?????

Barkeep. A round all around the Island. I'll be fishing at the cove. Something different for my new bestest mystery ham.

(Moderator edit: We appreciate the help - but please do so via PM. Thanks!)

N8YX
08-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Jerry = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ?????

(Moderator edit: Masked IP per earlier commentary.)

W2NAP
08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
............blah

KE6LYU
08-10-2011, 05:44 PM
IP Address

Host name:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Unkiee Jerry just outside of Punxsutawney PA.
He goes by many names Lol

(Moderator edit: We appreciate the heads-up...just do so in a PM. Thanks!)

KE6LYU
08-10-2011, 05:44 PM
I've done it in a big rig far more times than I care to remember.

Big Rig?
Monster truck Driver?

KE6LYU

K7SGJ
08-10-2011, 05:55 PM
I've done it in a big rig far more times than I care to remember. It takes for-fucking-ever.

Funny (peculiar) how that works. It seems that no sooner do I get into NM, that I am driving out of NM. Texas, on the other hand, takes 7 1/2 weeks to cross.

K7SGJ
08-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Big Rig?
Monster truck Driver?

KE6LYU

Big rig with chrome stacks, bumpers, hand holds and other chrome trim. Chrome reverse rims with slicks on the rear. A Roadtalker 23 ch and twin trucker antennas with K40 loading coils. 72 forward and 1 reverse gear with a 69 speed rear axle. A 40 ft trailer with some minor damage from trying to go through a drive through liquor store in Nebraska. The driver seat is fully adjustable with heater and vibrator, and of course a pukka bead seat cover. In the sleeper you will find a 80x110 framed picture of Farah Fawcett in the red swimsuit, and one of Lonnie Anderson in the nude. Over in the far corner is a combination four burner stove convection oven, microwave, washer, dryer, and electronic toilet that zaps shit into vapor at 27.185 MHz. In the corner is a king size water bed with magic fingers. (Put the seat from the cab with the vibrator on the bed with the magic fingers and we got a fukin party) And, for decoration, there is a head from a moose he hit in Palins Alaska while trying out for Ice Road Truckers.

If I missed anything, I'm sorry, sorta.

KG4CGC
08-10-2011, 06:17 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/giant-margarita-glass-70007-1.gif

NQ6U
08-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Big Rig?
Monster truck Driver?

KE6LYU

The former, although I went over to the Dark Side and became a dispatcher about six years ago. Here's a shot of the last rig I drove:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/volvowithcan.jpg

KC2UGV
08-11-2011, 07:27 AM

(Moderator edit: Masked IP per earlier commentary.)

You got it wrong! I know CSII, and I haxored his account. His IP address is 127.0.0.1...

But, he must be masking his IP, because it responds to pings, but yet has nothing open on it...

AA4HA
08-15-2011, 10:02 AM

So, for those of us who operate old military radios on the amateur radio bands are using illegal equipment? I have a Harris exciter that is continuous transmit coverage from 405 KHz up to 30 MHz. I have amplifiers that would be capable of 5000 watts of output. It is the responsibility of the licensee to operate in a manner in compliance with the restrictions of their license. While I have the technical capability of becoming an AM Broadcast station, my own Shortwave broadcast setup or an 11 meter powerhouse/ "freebander", it is my responsibility to keep under the power, mode,envelope and frequency limitations of amateur radio.

Amateur radio is different than many other services in that we are not required to operate equipment that is "type accepted" only for amateur radio operations. We can build our own gear that has no type acceptance at all. No other radio service has the liberty of pretty much using whatever they can get to be on the air. FRS has significant restrictions, maritime, aviation, commercial, public safety, CB, broadcast.. all have very stringent regulations on what can be used.

The burden for proper operation is upon the amateur radio licensee.

Tisha Hayes, AA4HA

KC2UGV
08-15-2011, 10:15 AM
So, for those of us who operate old military radios on the amateur radio bands are using illegal equipment? I have a Harris exciter that is continuous transmit coverage from 405 KHz up to 30 MHz. I have amplifiers that would be capable of 5000 watts of output. It is the responsibility of the licensee to operate in a manner in compliance with the restrictions of their license. While I have the technical capability of becoming an AM Broadcast station, my own Shortwave broadcast setup or an 11 meter powerhouse/ "freebander", it is my responsibility to keep under the power, mode,envelope and frequency limitations of amateur radio.

Amateur radio is different than many other services in that we are not required to operate equipment that is "type accepted" only for amateur radio operations. We can build our own gear that has no type acceptance at all. No other radio service has the liberty of pretty much using whatever they can get to be on the air. FRS has significant restrictions, maritime, aviation, commercial, public safety, CB, broadcast.. all have very stringent regulations on what can be used.

The burden for proper operation is upon the amateur radio licensee.

Tisha Hayes, AA4HA

Radios easily modifiable for use on 11M, and are channeled are illegal for sale inside of the US. The FCC is pretty clear that "disguised CB's" are illegal.

Your old military radio, while modifiable to operate there, or even stock, is certificated (Or was at some point) for use. And, it is not channelized into 40 channels, covering the 11 M band.

Therein lies the difference: non-certifcated CB radios are illegal to sell inside of the US.

BTW, Welcome to the Shores :)

N8YX
08-15-2011, 10:42 AM
So, for those of us who operate old military radios on the amateur radio bands are using illegal equipment? I have a Harris exciter that is continuous transmit coverage from 405 KHz up to 30 MHz. I have amplifiers that would be capable of 5000 watts of output. It is the responsibility of the licensee to operate in a manner in compliance with the restrictions of their license.

Devil's in the details here...always is. Commercial HF radiocommunications equipment of the type you describe wasn't marketed as a so-called "dual use" transceiver. Specifically, one which masquerades as a 'legitimate' amateur radio set but in actuality is a CB in disguise.

The above being stated, I would have no qualms whatsoever about placing, say, an RF-1310/RF590 combo on the amateur bands without first verifying its spectral output via analyzer. The same cannot be said for a large number of these so-called "export" radios which I've encountered. The HR2510/HR2600/Lincoln series is the only version of such I personally trust enough to use on-air without first establishing 47 CFR 97 compliance, though there may be others which meet the specs.

kb2vxa
08-15-2011, 12:51 PM
"Therein lies the difference: non-certifcated CB radios are illegal to sell inside of the US."

Eeeeh, what's all the hubbub... bub? And there you have it in a nut shell, if it's not FCC certified AS a CB rig it's illegal to sell, possess or use on 11m, period. The "catch 22" of 11M CB being a license free band is in the FCC equipment certification. Any use of equipment not certified for CB constitutes unlicensed operation and possession is considered intent so the NALs go out accordingly. Yup, if you have an otherwise legal station and the field engineering team finds a foot warmer stashed under the desk, even if not connected to anything guess what... YOU'RE BUSTED!

Then consider the fact that any repair, modification, tweaking and peaking or anything that affects transmitter output (power, frequency or modulation) is also illegal with one exception. Such must be done by the holder of a GROL and compliance measurements certified by the license holder in a signed document containing the license number. Simply put, if changes are made to the transmitter the unit must be re-certified. No details, no devils, no ifs, ands or buts. Transformers, CBs in disguise (;->) so beware of the Decipticons.

K7SGJ
08-15-2011, 01:27 PM
"Therein lies the difference: non-certifcated CB radios are illegal to sell inside of the US."

Eeeeh, what's all the hubbub... bub? And there you have it in a nut shell, if it's not FCC certified AS a CB rig it's illegal to sell, possess or use on 11m, period. The "catch 22" of 11M CB being a license free band is in the FCC equipment certification. Any use of equipment not certified for CB constitutes unlicensed operation and possession is considered intent so the NALs go out accordingly. Yup, if you have an otherwise legal station and the field engineering team finds a foot warmer stashed under the desk, even if not connected to anything guess what... YOU'RE BUSTED!

Not quite. You only need a GROL for Aeronautical, Ship radio and radar, and a few others. It is the responsibility of the operator to insure compliance. Strange? Hell yes.

Then consider the fact that any repair, modification, tweaking and peaking or anything that affects transmitter output (power, frequency or modulation) is also illegal with one exception. Such must be done by the holder of a GROL and compliance measurements certified by the license holder in a signed document containing the license number. Simply put, if changes are made to the transmitter the unit must be re-certified. No details, no devils, no ifs, ands or buts. Transformers, CBs in disguise (;->) so beware of the Decipticons.

Not quite. You only need a GROL for Aeronautical, Ship radio and radar, and a few others. It is the responsibility of the operator to insure compliance. Strange? Hell yes.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/index.htm?job=wncol

suddenseer
08-15-2011, 02:19 PM
You think you're really original with all of this bullshit, don't you, genius.

The "I worked hard for license" whine is pretty funny. I worked hard for mine too, Novice, Technician, General, Advanced and 20 WPM Extra. I did it because that's what the rules were at the time. Old timer whiners howled at the moon over the VEC program because the test wasn't adminstered by the FCC anymore. I wasn't a "real" extra because my test was before a VEC. Complete poppycock, as is anyone who trashes a newcomer for his license if the license was gained under the rules as they are.

You need to get off of this kick that you are somehow "special" because you have a goddamn ham radio license. You're not. You're a member of the community, that's it, and your opinion is just that, your opinion. You aren't going to change anything by sipping the same whine that has been spewed out over decades. If you'd take the time to research this problem, you'd recognize how silly some of your comments are in the context of time.You left out the ARRL pushed 'incentive licensing' that took away 75M phone from then Generals. I think there was still some whining about outlawing spark gap as well. I don't know why the old timers bitch about VEC testing. Most of us were tested by a volunteer examiner to get our Novice ticket. The FCC came to town 5 times a year for testing, I guess everyone should have had to walk 10 miles to school barefoot with 10 feet of snow on the ground, naked. Am I an old timer? I could have joined the qcwa 10 years ago. I hear they make good chili. Damn what a good buzz I have going on now!

K7SGJ
08-15-2011, 02:49 PM
You left out the ARRL pushed 'incentive licensing' that took away 75M phone from then Generals. I think there was still some whining about outlawing spark gap as well. I don't know why the old timers bitch about VEC testing. Most of us were tested by a volunteer examiner to get our Novice ticket. The FCC came to town 5 times a year for testing, I guess everyone should have had to walk 10 miles to school barefoot with 10 feet of snow on the ground, naked. Am I an old timer? I could have joined the qcwa 10 years ago. I hear they make good chili. Damn what a good buzz I have going on now!

Didn't Mama ever tell you that if you don't have enough for everyone, don't bring it out? Comeon man, pass the pipe already.

KG4CGC
08-15-2011, 02:53 PM
"Did you bring enough gum for everyone in the class?"
Knowing I would be asked that question, I brought enough gum for everyone in Mrs. Eusner's 3rd grade class.
Nothing I ever did in that woman's class DID NOT PISS HER OFF!

WØTKX
08-15-2011, 02:54 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7eZmhPkUYNoZ91gKl_O2MPFR4tTBVV fwsml6QwWbMFz2ubKDQ

KG4CGC
08-15-2011, 05:40 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7eZmhPkUYNoZ91gKl_O2MPFR4tTBVV fwsml6QwWbMFz2ubKDQBizzy Buzz Buzz! I remember him!
What a crap toy.

Happy_Hamer
08-15-2011, 06:03 PM

N8YX
08-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Only you can prevent IMD...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/Smokey3.jpg

Jerry
08-15-2011, 09:50 PM
You got it wrong! I know CSII, and I haxored his account. His IP address is 127.0.0.1...

But, he must be masking his IP, because it responds to pings, but yet has nothing open on it...

Maybe the reason why you can't trace it or ping it is because I go to a different McDonalds every day..... Hi HI

NA4BH
08-15-2011, 09:55 PM
Maybe the reason why you can't trace it or ping it is because I go to a different McDonalds every day..... Hi HI

I like the ones with the indoor playground. And you?

W3WN
08-15-2011, 09:56 PM
You left out the ARRL pushed 'incentive licensing' that took away 75M phone from then Generals. I think there was still some whining about outlawing spark gap as well. I don't know why the old timers bitch about VEC testing. Most of us were tested by a volunteer examiner to get our Novice ticket. The FCC came to town 5 times a year for testing, I guess everyone should have had to walk 10 miles to school barefoot with 10 feet of snow on the ground, naked. Am I an old timer? I could have joined the qcwa 10 years ago. I hear they make good chili. Damn what a good buzz I have going on now!10 years ago? Only 10? You're a piker. I've got you by 5 on that alone.

suddenseer
08-16-2011, 05:15 AM
Didn't Mama ever tell you that if you don't have enough for everyone, don't bring it out? Comeon man, pass the pipe already.I did not indicate what the source of the buzz was. It could have been induced by a vending machine soda product, or an afternoon espresso. Maybe M&M's (I don't do milk chocolate). :cool2:

suddenseer
08-16-2011, 05:22 AM
10 years ago? Only 10? You're a piker. I've got you by 5 on that alone.I know there are folks here who were licensed before I was born. I did not join the referenced group. I was invited to a local chapter get together, and those guys frightened me. I am however, old enough to say, 'what I used to do all night, now takes me all night to do.' :evil:

KC2UGV
08-16-2011, 07:50 AM

Could be... I didn't think about that...

W3WN
08-16-2011, 07:51 AM
I know there are folks here who were licensed before I was born. I did not join the referenced group. I was invited to a local chapter get together, and those guys frightened me. I am however, old enough to say, 'what I used to do all night, now takes me all night to do.' :evil:Ken Simpson W8EK, a nice guy who's now retired to Florida and helps SK estates liquidate the SK's stations, got wind that I've been eligible for QCWA for 15 years... and haven't joined yet... right before Dayton. We ran into each other right before the DX forum, and he badgered me about what a great group it was.

Well, maybe in other areas. I've known most of the local QCWA chapter members for years. Some of them are nice guys too, but collectively... no. I'm too young for that crowd, I still have my hair (even though it's gone from black to salt-and-pepper to mostly gray), and all of my teeth & vital organs are intact.

Ken was not amused. But he did take it in stride, and was very persistant in asking me to go to the last Pittsburgh Chapter meeting (a brunch on June 4th). Unfortunately, we already had other plans.

I saw him at Breezeshooter's the next morning. (He was in the area visiting family that week). And I do mean "saw", man never said a word to me. I guess he didn't understand "no thanks, I can't" means "no."

OTOH, he hasn't bugged me about joining QCWA since. And that's just as well.

I may have been technically eligible when I turned 40, but even 15 years later, I'm still to young for that crowd!

WØTKX
08-16-2011, 08:36 AM
I've purchased a couple of rare Ten Tec items from Ken. Very happy he does what he does in that arena.

I am also eligible for QCWA. No thanks, it's just an extension of the nonsense you get from an arrogant repeater group.

These are the folks that should be promoting the hobby to youngsters, but they would blame the new hams for ruining the hobby.

And besides, I'm too damn "librul".

KJ3N
08-16-2011, 08:36 AM
I know there are folks here who were licensed before I was born.

OK, show of hands. Who here was licensed before 1960? (my year) :lol:

WØTKX
08-16-2011, 11:06 AM
You Win, Charlie!

KJ3N
08-16-2011, 11:50 AM
You Win, Charlie!

1960 was the year I was born. I'm looking for the guy that's been licensed as long as dirt.

K7SGJ
08-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Let me blow the dust off. Licensed in spring of 61. What do I win?

KJ3N
08-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Let me blow the dust off. Licensed in spring of 61. What do I win?

Don't know but at that time I was still sucking mama's.... oh, never mind..... :lol:

W3WN
08-16-2011, 12:38 PM
I've purchased a couple of rare Ten Tec items from Ken. Very happy he does what he does in that arena.
< snip >Oh, certainly. I've worked out a few purchases with Ken myself, and I've been quite happy with them.

Now sometimes his prices tend to be a little on the high side, but the quality is well worth it. And unlike a few eBay & uBid schnooks & scoundrels, he knows how to properly pack and ship items -- that alone is worth it's proverbial weight in gold-plated latinum.

W3WN
08-16-2011, 12:40 PM
OK, show of hands. Who here was licensed before 1960? (my year) :lol:What? You're younger than me?

Damn kids ruining everything. Get OFF My Lawn!

KJ3N
08-16-2011, 12:44 PM
What? You're younger than me?

51 as of July, pops. :neener:

Damn kids ruining everything. Get OFF My Lawn!

Up yours, you old coot! :neener:

NQ6U
08-16-2011, 12:48 PM
I'll probably be an SK by the time the 25th anniversary of getting my ticket rolls around. Do they award the QCWA posthumously?

K7SGJ
08-16-2011, 12:54 PM
I'll probably be an SK by the time the 25th anniversary of getting my ticket rolls around. Do they award the QCWA posthumously?

Be sure someone runs a longwire out for you before they backfill the grave.

W3WN
08-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Up yours, you old coot! :neener:Damn whippersnappers.

Where's my buggy whip!?!

KG4CGC
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Damn whippersnappers.

Where's my buggy whip!?!Git that boy ta go fetch ya a switch. Ain't no good reason to waste a good buggy whip. That's what Granny May would always say.

KJ3N
08-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Damn whippersnappers.

Where's my buggy whip!?!

Sittin' right next to your Dayton Hoveround (http://www.hoveround.com/), gramps. :neener:

w2amr
08-16-2011, 02:13 PM

Up yours, you old coot! :neener: Boys, boys, there is plenty of lawn to go around.

W3WN
08-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Sittin' right next to your Dayton Hoveround (http://www.hoveround.com/), gramps. :neener:The joke actually is that I've started getting calls from fast talking women with foreign accents trying to get my Medicare information so that they can get me a free Hoveround, all from companies I've never done business with.

The jokes on them. I don't have Medicare. I'm not THAT old an OF... yet.

How'd they get my phone number? Well, it seems that after I was diagnosed with Diabetes, the boss went online to try and find info, and get recipes, and all sorts of other well intended things. She's still naive enough that she fills out all this unneccesary "survey" information, and then she wonders why her email gets filled with garbage ads from the wonderful world of Spam, and we get unsolicited phone calls from scam artists telemarketers. And in this case, someone cross polinated their purloined data...

suddenseer
08-16-2011, 03:50 PM
I always give fake names. Tonight, Obadiah Spittle bought a vegan pizza at Donatos.

N8YX
08-16-2011, 05:13 PM
I always give fake names. Tonight, Obadiah Spittle bought a vegan pizza at Donatos.
foo@bar.com gets a lot of "offer" e-mails, from what I've been told ... :rofl:

WX7P
08-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Damn whippersnappers.

Where's my buggy whip!?!

53 today. 8/16/1958. same as Madonna...

W1GUH
08-24-2011, 07:20 AM
WTF. 64 and ready to retire. 1st license was 4/12/60.

Back to the topic....

Life's too short to even pay any attention to this kind of crap. Just twist that tuning KNOB. We like playing with KNOBS anyway. It's just not worth getting your panties in all twisted up over.

Besides...when the band opens up, travel on up to the AM window and have the time of your life!!!! Work the world with 1w and a wet noodle for an antenna. Before the band opens up there can be some really, really fun short-skip openings, too.

10m is plenty big to just ignore this bullshit. Unless you're the type that will go out of his/her way in the middle of wide open spaces to stick your nose into a fight that's going on a mile from you.

kb2vxa
08-24-2011, 12:33 PM
If it's not plate modulated it's not YAY EM!

PA5COR
08-25-2011, 01:38 AM
Congrats with your Birthday!!;)

53 today. 8/16/1958. same as Madonna...