PDA

View Full Version : jammers jammers everywhere

W2NAP
08-03-2011, 06:21 PM
So here locally we have a jammer on our simplex freq. most unusual jammer to. instead of just locking it down or trying to "key down' on us he tosses in comments or noise toys between transmissions.

pretty sure the guy is a unlicensed cb reject.

but he is one of the most hardest jammers to catch. he is smart enough to stop when he figures out were out looking for him.

now we been dealing with this for about 9 months now. close as we get is suspected vehicles (with antennas on them usually a wilson 1000 and a 2 meter antenna) but the guy changes cars about like we change underpants.

so how dose one catch this type of jammer? idk i think its going to take alot of luck.

dudes a smart enough guy to work pl ect ect.

def. been a interesting 9 months

N2CHX
08-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Ignore his silly BS when it happens and he will either step it up, thus making it easier to catch him, or he will get bored and stop altogether.

W2NAP
08-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Ignore his silly BS when it happens and he will either step it up, thus making it easier to catch him, or he will get bored and stop altogether.

we did the ignore him deal, he still was persistent. we even moved from 146.58 to 147.435 earlier in the year.
guy is smart enough to know when one of us stops talking to shut up cause one of us went portable.

N8YX
08-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Jammers here; jammers there...fscking jammers everywhere:

You near Indy? Could be another one of those "rogues" which were using the 2M band for (ahem) gub'mint bidness...

W2NAP
08-03-2011, 08:04 PM
You near Indy? Could be another one of those "rogues" which were using the 2M band for (ahem) gub'mint bidness...

its not gooberment, its a jammer jammer. he has messed with us. several repeaters in the area but were usually the main target of the asshole

WØTKX
08-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Are you a Jammer Magnet? :snicker:

kc7jty
08-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Complain to Uncle Charley, god knows how efficient he is.
Problem here on 2 is licensed hams talking on any freq they desire and f*ck the band plan.

n2ize
08-04-2011, 07:13 AM
I hear that from time to time on some of the local repeaters around here. They rarely just jam the repeater. They often jump in with a disguised voice or a sound effect between transmissions. Most go away if ignored long enough.

W3WN
08-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Enlist some help from some fox hunters from a nearby town or community or neighborhood... but one far enough away that he won't get wind of it. There are enough would-be cop types around that you should be able to find some.

Then on the appointed night, operate on simplex as usual. In other words, you and your friends play decoy (or bait if you prefer). Let the 3rd party(s) track the jammer down.

Now personally, if it's someone operating out of his home, the old pin-the-coax trick works well. Not that I'm advocating that anyone ELSE break the law, mind you. Only use multiple pins spaced out. Using bolt cutters to remove coax is a temporary fix, as it's not THAT hard to splice cable.

If it's someone mobile, well, vandals break mobile antenna whips all the time. An HT? Gee, what a shame that that rubber duck got caught in the door as the radio was dropped, and right under the wheel of a moving car too, just before it landed down the sewer. In water.

But I'm not advocating that YOU do any of that. Don't break the law.

Nothing says you can't THINK about it though.

W2NAP
08-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Enlist some help from some fox hunters from a nearby town or community or neighborhood... but one far enough away that he won't get wind of it. There are enough would-be cop types around that you should be able to find some.

Then on the appointed night, operate on simplex as usual. In other words, you and your friends play decoy (or bait if you prefer). Let the 3rd party(s) track the jammer down.

Now personally, if it's someone operating out of his home, the old pin-the-coax trick works well. Not that I'm advocating that anyone ELSE break the law, mind you. Only use multiple pins spaced out. Using bolt cutters to remove coax is a temporary fix, as it's not THAT hard to splice cable.

If it's someone mobile, well, vandals break mobile antenna whips all the time. An HT? Gee, what a shame that that rubber duck got caught in the door as the radio was dropped, and right under the wheel of a moving car too, just before it landed down the sewer. In water.

But I'm not advocating that YOU do any of that. Don't break the law.

Nothing says you can't THINK about it though.

dudes mobile. i cant believe the sob drives around for hours burning up gas like the dude dose. dude has a hard on for us it seems.

dude is slick ill give him that. but all we want to do is get the plate number which would tell us quite a bit.

KG4CGC
08-04-2011, 10:44 AM
dudes mobile. i cant believe the sob drives around for hours burning up gas like the dude dose. dude has a hard on for us it seems.

dude is slick ill give him that. but all we want to do is get the plate number which would tell us quite a bit.Make recording of him to have on file for when the time comes.
You'll need three people to actively help hunt him. A 3rd person who does not participate in the QSO should DF him with an HT and a hand held yagi. Most of all, be careful. You could be dealing with a local cop.

N8YX
08-04-2011, 11:22 AM
You could be dealing with a local cop.This is (was) exactly my thought, given the locations involved.

Bad cop - NO donut!

W3WN
08-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Make recording of him to have on file for when the time comes.
You'll need three people to actively help hunt him. A 3rd person who does not participate in the QSO should DF him with an HT and a hand held yagi. Most of all, be careful. You could be dealing with a local cop.Well, if it is a local cop, get your local TV news involved. They LOVE stuff like this.

W2NAP
08-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Well, if it is a local cop, get your local TV news involved. They LOVE stuff like this.

i doubt its a cop i honestly think its some teeny bopper reason being since school has been out the attacks start alot earlier. in the school months it started after 4pm and ended around 10/11pm. since schools been out it has started out as early as 11am running to 2 or 3 am.

aint nothing like tossing you call on air and getting a big f u in return.

eventually dudes going to mess up

KG4CGC
08-04-2011, 12:00 PM
i doubt its a cop i honestly think its some teeny bopper reason being since school has been out the attacks start alot earlier. in the school months it started after 4pm and ended around 10/11pm. since schools been out it has started out as early as 11am running to 2 or 3 am.

aint nothing like tossing you call on air and getting a big f u in return.

eventually dudes going to mess upGetting your local FOX affiliate involved is a good idea when you bring up the public safety angle. This is exactly the kind of story they like. We had a similar story about 12 years ago when a local ex cop used a modded RS HT dual bander to make fake distress calls on police frequencies. The local professional amateur radio club immediately blamed it on CB'ers but when the facts came out, the ex cop also held a ham callsign.

W2NAP
08-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Getting your local FOX affiliate involved is a good idea when you bring up the public safety angle. This is exactly the kind of story they like. We had a similar story about 12 years ago when a local ex cop used a modded RS HT dual bander to make fake distress calls on police frequencies. The local professional amateur club immediately blamed it on CB'ers but when the facts came out, the ex cop also held a ham callsign.

news outlets love bad cops. but i really dont think our guy is one.

KG4CGC
08-04-2011, 12:09 PM
news outlets love bad cops. but i really dont think our guy is one.Does that really matter? Could be a terrorist.

KC2UGV
08-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Getting your local FOX affiliate involved is a good idea when you bring up the public safety angle. This is exactly the kind of story they like. We had a similar story about 12 years ago when a local ex cop used a modded RS HT dual bander to make fake distress calls on police frequencies. The local professional amateur radio club immediately blamed it on CB'ers but when the facts came out, the ex cop also held a ham callsign.

Even if it wasn't a cop, A Faux News affiliate were sure spin it that way. And, if they absolutely could not find a way, somehow, it would get linked to Obama.

KG4CGC
08-04-2011, 12:17 PM
And don't say you think it's a teeny bopper. Leave the speculation up in the air as high as it will go.

W3WN
08-04-2011, 02:31 PM
The point is, you need to get a DF team together quietly. Once they can find the culprit, then you will know who & what you are dealing with.

If it's a bored teenager, that's one thing. OTOH, if it's a semi-psychotic adult off his meds, that's something else. But first things first.

W2NAP
08-04-2011, 06:05 PM
The point is, you need to get a DF team together quietly. Once they can find the culprit, then you will know who & what you are dealing with.

If it's a bored teenager, that's one thing. OTOH, if it's a semi-psychotic adult off his meds, that's something else. But first things first.

were working on that.