PDA

View Full Version : FCC Cracking Down On Unlicensed Broadcasters

W3WN
08-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Sure seems to have been a lot of these stories lately... two examples... (I have more stashed on the home PC)

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-11-1323A1.pdf
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-11-1324A1.pdf

Nice to know Laura's enforcement crew is busy policing the broadcast bands.

W1GUH
08-01-2011, 02:08 PM
"Voluntary Contribution?"

KG4CGC
08-01-2011, 02:13 PM
I must have missed it. Are these the guys running LPFM without FCC approval? I'm assuming so because it got out of hand in FLA during the late 90s and up to mid 2000s. I guess a few guys upped their power and kept it up.

W3WN
08-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I must have missed it. Are these the guys running LPFM without FCC approval? I'm assuming so because it got out of hand in FLA during the late 90s and up to mid 2000s. I guess a few guys upped their power and kept it up.In a word: Yes.

KG4CGC
08-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks. The specifics were not clear to me in the pdf file.

n2ize
08-01-2011, 03:22 PM
If you are operating without a license then you should get busted. How about a little bit of jail time for these folks. They can broadcast on the prison radio station while they are serving their time.

KG4CGC
08-01-2011, 03:41 PM
If you are operating without a license then you should get busted. How about a little bit of jail time for these folks. They can broadcast on the prison radio station while they are serving their time.
Yeah, I agree with you, John. Orphans should be forced to work for the state as part of a lease program to private industry.
How about we focus less on punitiveness and more on education and respecting the community?

n2ize
08-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I agree with you, John. Orphans should be forced to work for the state as part of a lease program to private industry.
How about we focus less on punitiveness and more on education and respecting the community?

Education ?? Bah...Humbug. Who needs education when we can have plain ol' fashon hawse sense like Bachman has. And community ? Community sounds too close to "communist" for comfort.

KG4CGC
08-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Bachmann is schizophrenic and I'm not trying to be funny or degrading towards her. She is seriously mentally ill and I feel bad for her and her family.

KJ3N
08-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Bachmann is schizophrenic and I'm not trying to be funny or degrading towards her. She is seriously mentally ill and I feel bad for her and her family.

I feel bad for the country. She's got a lot of company in the GOTea Party. :roll:

n2ize
08-01-2011, 04:37 PM

Are you just saying that based on some of her more outrageous outbursts or, has she actually been diagnosed as schizophrenic ?

KG4CGC
08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Are you just saying that based on some of her more outrageous outbursts or, has she actually been diagnosed as schizophrenic ?
John, it's all right there in front of you and the nation.

n2ize
08-01-2011, 07:48 PM
John, it's all right there in front of you and the nation.

Yeah, but I don't know if she is really and truly sick and they are taking advantage of her or, if she is simply a beeyatch. Frankly I think she is just a miserable beeyatch. If she were truly sick I might have a tiny ounce of sympathy... although I doubt it. If she is a "beeyatch" then she gets not a whit of sympathy.

KG4CGC
08-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Yeah, but I don't know if she is really and truly sick and they are taking advantage of her or, if she is simply a beeyatch. Frankly I think she is just a miserable beeyatch. If she were truly sick I might have a tiny ounce of sympathy... although I doubt it. If she is a "beeyatch" then she gets not a whit of sympathy.
There is a lot of bitch in there. No doubt.

W2NAP
08-02-2011, 03:55 PM
id rather have pirates taking to the airwaves then all the fucking bible bangers have with translators

KG4CGC
08-02-2011, 03:58 PM
id rather have pirates taking to the airwaves then all the fucking bible bangers have with translators
No doubt. They operate LPFM/AM here unencumbered.

NA4BH
08-02-2011, 04:00 PM

Is that "unencumbered" bruised?

KG4CGC
08-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Is that "unencumbered" bruised?
I think that's personal and I don't want to know.

W1GUH
08-02-2011, 04:51 PM

Bet that's why they were busted....educating the community by broadcasting the truth. Can't possibly allow that, can we?

W2NAP
08-02-2011, 06:21 PM

LPFM,translators, full power stations. damn bible bangers make up like 40% of the FMs here

KG4CGC
08-02-2011, 06:25 PM
We have a few full power legal bible bangers but that's not what's at issue if I'm on the correct page.

W2NAP
08-03-2011, 01:33 AM
We have a few full power legal bible bangers but that's not what's at issue if I'm on the correct page.

thing i just dont like with them is how many fucking stations they need in a area? like here they have a shit ton of translators,LPFM's, several full power stations (1 50kw erp station) now for fucks sakes. the 50kw station covers pretty much ALL of central indiana. so imo there should be no more period.

N2NH
08-03-2011, 07:09 AM

She seems to be psychotic too. No inner voice what-so-ever. She should get a sex change and become a serial-killer.

KC2UGV
08-03-2011, 10:44 AM

At least you have some LPFM channels... Here in WNY, all the possible LPFM channels are locked up tight by Entercom.

W3WN
08-03-2011, 12:19 PM
thing i just dont like with them is how many fucking stations they need in a area? like here they have a shit ton of translators,LPFM's, several full power stations (1 50kw erp station) now for fucks sakes. the 50kw station covers pretty much ALL of central indiana. so imo there should be no more period.They need all those translators to reach all of us heathens, and redeem us, Praise The Lord!

Of course, those translators cost money to build and operate, so they ask for donations. Can they help it if their flocks provide them with more than sufficient funds, and instead of letting all that wonderful money go to waste, they just have to spend it on themselves?

Yes, I sayeth to yea... The flocks are fleeced. So they need to get the flock out of here.

NQ6U
08-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Yes, I sayeth to yea... The flocks are fleeced. So they need to get the flock out of here.

So spake the LORD.

W3WN
08-03-2011, 01:50 PM
So spake the LORD.Well thanks, but I don't think that highly of myself.

N2CHX
08-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah, we couldn't possibly have a few radio stations that actually *serve* the community :rolls eyes:

W2NAP
08-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Yeah, we couldn't possibly have a few radio stations that actually *serve* the community :rolls eyes:

good luck with that. its ether big corp or bible bangers

N2NH
08-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Education ?? Bah...Humbug. Who needs education when we can have plain ol' fashon hawse sense like Bachman has. And community ? Community sounds too close to "communist" for comfort.

Spoken like a real educator. :snicker:

W3WN
08-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Yeah, we couldn't possibly have a few radio stations that actually *serve* the community :rolls eyes:I am sympathetic to the notion of LPFM community stations. If you've got the technical knowledge and financial backing to take a stab at it, and can make it work, go for it.

But you have to do it within the rules, as these schmucks are now finding out. I know, the rules aren't fair and they're weighted against the notion, thanks to corporate broadcasting. Then get them changed; until they are, though, you have to play the game as it stands.

KC2UGV
08-04-2011, 08:05 AM
I am sympathetic to the notion of LPFM community stations. If you've got the technical knowledge and financial backing to take a stab at it, and can make it work, go for it.

But you have to do it within the rules, as these schmucks are now finding out. I know, the rules aren't fair and they're weighted against the notion, thanks to corporate broadcasting. Then get them changed; until they are, though, you have to play the game as it stands.

You can't do LPFM within the rules. The FCC is not granting licenses anymore.

W3WN
08-04-2011, 09:00 AM
You can't do LPFM within the rules. The FCC is not granting licenses anymore.I know. Like I said, the rules aren't fair.

But breaking them? Ends up costing you a pile of cash in fines, AND it can disqualify you from ever being permitted to own a broadcast station in the future. Not worth it. IMHO.

KC2UGV
08-04-2011, 10:03 AM
I know. Like I said, the rules aren't fair.

But breaking them? Ends up costing you a pile of cash in fines, AND it can disqualify you from ever being permitted to own a broadcast station in the future. Not worth it. IMHO.

It is the duty of citizens to disobey unjust laws. IMO.

W2NAP
08-04-2011, 10:35 AM
I am sympathetic to the notion of LPFM community stations. If you've got the technical knowledge and financial backing to take a stab at it, and can make it work, go for it.

around here only peeps that got a lpfm lic. were bible bangers. no local crap, just canned sat bible thumping you hear on the rest of the thumper stations.

so all in all lpfm just helped the bible bangers weasel more translators in

W3WN
08-04-2011, 11:30 AM
It is the duty of citizens to disobey unjust laws. IMO.Then be prepared to pay the penalty.

And it's not neccesarily the case that these people became broadcast pirates because the FCC denied them an LPFM license. Some of them just plain didn't give a hoot and decided to start transmitting. Not that that's anything new, pirate broadcasters have been around for years... and not just in the US, either... see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Caroline http://www.frn.net/ace/murphys.htm http://midx.wordpress.com/qsl-gallery/pirate-radio/voice-of-the-purple-pumpkin-28oc89/

KG4CGC
08-04-2011, 11:40 AM
I seem to recall a ham telling a tale of his home system, which wasn't supposed to go beyond his yard, was covering a whole neighborhood.
He'd crank it up when working in the yard and listen on his walkman type device.

One day he was talking to a neighbor who said something about a station that was playing fantastic music without commercial interruption. The neighbor went on to name the entire playlist and the times he'd heard it on the air. The ham quickly realized what was happening and ceased his his home broadcasts.

I remember the call but I won't say who it was unless he wants to out himself here. :)

KC2UGV
08-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Then be prepared to pay the penalty.

Of course. It is the way of civil disobedience.

And it's not neccesarily the case that these people became broadcast pirates because the FCC denied them an LPFM license. Some of them just plain didn't give a hoot and decided to start transmitting. Not that that's anything new, pirate broadcasters have been around for years... and not just in the US, either... see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Caroline http://www.frn.net/ace/murphys.htm http://midx.wordpress.com/qsl-gallery/pirate-radio/voice-of-the-purple-pumpkin-28oc89/

How can one morally only allow corporate access to public space? It would be like charging a license fee to enter a public park.

W3WN
08-04-2011, 02:06 PM
< snip >
How can one morally only allow corporate access to public space? It would be like charging a license fee to enter a public park.Corey, Corey, Corey, do I really have to explain that one to you?

You really expect the FCC and (by extension) Congress to give a hoot about morals?

After all, who runs the FCC, and who make up the vast majority of Senators and Congresspeople?

No, not Democrats, not Republicans, not TeaPartiers, not Independants... professional politicians! Or more to the point... lawyers!

Morals? Lawyers with a concern about morals? Need I say more?

n2ize
08-04-2011, 02:22 PM
The rules are that the airwaves are regulated. There is good reason why we don't allow anyone to fire up a radio anywhere. If you don't like the rules then work to change them. Meanwhile the rules keep the airwaves functional and usable.

KC2UGV
08-04-2011, 02:25 PM
The rules are that the airwaves are regulated. There is good reason why we don't allow anyone to fire up a radio anywhere. If you don't like the rules then work to change them. Meanwhile the rules keep the airwaves functional and usable.

No, the rules right now make the airwaves dysfunctional. The airwaves were supposed to promote democratic exchange of ideas. Right now, it creates a mouthpiece for corporations.

I advocate civil disobedience, while as above, expecting repercussions for such.

n2ize
08-04-2011, 02:34 PM
No, the rules right now make the airwaves dysfunctional. The airwaves were supposed to promote democratic exchange of ideas. Right now, it creates a mouthpiece for corporations.

I advocate civil disobedience, while as above, expecting repercussions for such.

So, have you put your station on the air yet ?

n2ize
08-04-2011, 08:27 PM
This may be relevant to a greater or lesser extent..

http://http://act2.freepress.net/sign/changethechannels