PDA

View Full Version : Severe weather...Oh My.

n2ize
07-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Tornado and severe thunderstorm warnings and watches for this area this evening. Supposedly a tornado has been sighted in Northern Westchester a ways north of me. No surprise. I was just outside. The humidity is brutal and the air is perfectly still. Not a single breeze.. Only about 80 deg but the humidity ... I came back drenched in sweat.

W7XF
07-29-2011, 06:12 PM
I'd be heading downstairs about now....

NA4BH
07-29-2011, 06:18 PM
The big stuff is down around Queens and JFK.

n2ize
07-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Well, so far nothing has happened. The local repeater initiated Skywarn. There were some reports of very dark clouds and funnel clouds up in New City NY and Newburgh. But otherwise Skywarn has been pretty quiet in my county. So far all we got right overhead was a shower with no thunder or wind.

The tornado watch continues till 11 pm

n2ize
07-29-2011, 06:33 PM
The big stuff is down around Queens and JFK.

Yeah... a lot of thunder and lightning to the south of me right now.

W5GA
07-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Don't forget to duck!

NQ6U
07-30-2011, 01:29 AM
Don't forget to duck!

Or disconnect your gear from the antenna.

PA5COR
07-30-2011, 02:50 AM
Stay safe you hear?

n2ize
07-30-2011, 02:58 AM
The system must have weakened quite a bit as it came through. Didn't hear any reports of anything too bad. There was some storms to my north and south but overhead here the most that happened was that we got a shower... which we needed anyway. The ground has been very dry and the plants needed some water. Now it's just humid as heck.

w2amr
07-31-2011, 06:02 AM
Or disconnect your gear from the antenna.If he had an antenna.:snicker:

W1GUH
08-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Was down in Soho about that time...sky looked apocolyptic. But then...it was a blank. Nada.

n2ize
08-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Was down in Soho about that time...sky looked apocolyptic. But then...it was a blank. Nada.

Well, if you were in SoHo then you're not far from "tornado alley". That area being close to one of the central areas from some of the most brutal weather in the world. It's an area pounded by frequent hurricanes, devastating heat waves, brutal cold snaps with frequent blizzard and whiteout conditions. I remember living in Brooklyn when it was not uncommon for people to come off the train and get lost in blinding blizzard conditions with 100 mph winds, sub-zero temps, and zero visibility in driving blizzards. The area is also buffeted with year round crosswinds that wreak havoc with trains, traffic, and pedestrians. Why I live so close to such an area I'll never know.

N8YX
08-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Boob clouds...nothing but boob clouds....all day long:

Taken at 12PM as I pulled into a local restaurant to meet a fellow biker/coworker for lunch. Eatery was roughly at the corner of SR 241 and 619 - SE of Akron. Cell this was associated with still had its precip core over Lake Erie at the time the photo was snapped.

n2ize
08-01-2011, 07:42 PM
W ell those "mammatus" (boob) clouds must have made it out this way. All day long to the north of me they were pounded with very strong thunderstorms. The last storm that passed delivered some intense hail due north of me. A few people reported a good 20 minutes of golf ball sized hail. I was on the very edge of the storm. To my south it was sunny and calm and to my north it was black as night and rough. We got some hail here even though the storm was not nearly overhead. I take it the atmosphere was a bit perturbed today. :mrgreen: