PDA

View Full Version : I Think i saw this Guy in My Yard Today

n2ize
07-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Yikes !! I think I saw this guy flying in my yard today not more then 2 or 3 feet away from me !!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/Vespa_mandarinia.jpg

To my best knowledge this guy is not supposed to live anywhere near here. But what I saw fits the description perfectly with regards to size, markings, etc.

More here,,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet)

Anyone else see these in the United States ?

KC2UGV
07-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Was it an Asian Giant Hornet, or a Carpenter Bee:

n2ize
07-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Was it an Asian Giant Hornet, or a Carpenter Bee:

No it was definitly not a carpenter bee. This thing was much bigger than a Bumble or carpenter bee. The size proportions of the guy that I saw was right along the lines of the asian hornet. And believe me, I saw him up very close... he was hovering not more than 2-3 feet away and scared the shit out of me. Also, his marking were exactly like those pictured for the asian hornet. He (or maybe she) had the striped lower abdomen and the same head colours. This thing was no bee. And bigger than any wasp, bee, or hornet that I have ever seen in my life. Scared the crap out of me. Too damned close for comfort. I hope I never see him again.

W5RB
07-29-2011, 03:08 PM
To hell with what he is , what the hell's he drinkin' thru that straw ?

n2ize
07-29-2011, 03:12 PM
I am generally not afraid of insects. My Dad used to keep bees. I used to handle hives and frames with thousands of bees at a time with my bare hands and wearing nothing but a regular tee shirt, pan. So, I am not at all squeamish or nervous when it comes to insects. But this thing scared the hell out of me.

Oh that straw !! Hah hah... Her's dead and thats a pin holding him to a board. But it does look like a straw,

rot
07-29-2011, 03:21 PM
I have had nest of giant hornets (not sure if it was that exact specie or not) in a apple tree bout 200 or feet from the house. A couple would buzz the house once in a while and these mofos were big.
They never bothered us at all. Sort of like heavy horses, I found them to be a non-threat, of course we didn't go ballastic when we saw them...Gave them their space and such.
I do know one thing. They love beer. Saw a many head for an open beer on the deck and walk right in the can. We invoked glass only beer containers since cause the thought of slamming a beer with a hornet swimming in it would be a definite buzz kill.
For loss of taxonomic expertise we just refered to them as Japanese Hornets and they were not bad neighbors.
We just left the nest alone and now they have disappeared. Have not seen one in years.
I have been hassled more by the damn yellow jackets in the pant leg type of thing.
rot

KC2UGV
07-29-2011, 03:22 PM
I am generally not afraid of insects. My Dad used to keep bees. I used to handle hives and frames with thousands of bees at a time with my bare hands and wearing nothing but a regular tee shirt, pan. So, I am not at all squeamish or nervous when it comes to insects. But this thing scared the hell out of me.

Oh that straw !! Hah hah... Her's dead and thats a pin holding him to a board. But it does look like a straw,

If it was a Giant Asian, you have every right to be afraid.

NA4BH
07-29-2011, 03:24 PM
If he saw you, you will be one of his targets. Run a zig-zag when you go out to the mail box.

KG4CGC
07-29-2011, 03:35 PM
We have some European varieties that are huge. One nailed me last year right over the eye while riding down the road. Almost had a heart attack. Yes, I was wearing eye protection. He nailed the top of the lens and flipped over and stung the shee-ite out of me.

n2ize
07-29-2011, 05:00 PM
If it was a Giant Asian, you have every right to be afraid.

Yeah, they can pump you up with enough venom to kill you. Not to mention the sting hurts like hell and they inject a pheromone to attract their friends. This one hovered in front of me for a bit and then veered off. hovered in the distance for a bit and then dissapeared.

n2ize
07-29-2011, 05:42 PM
To hell with what he is , what the hell's he drinkin' thru that straw ?

Well, if he was drinking from a straw it would most likely be liquefied bee lara, or liguefied flesh to feed to his/her brood.

n2ize
07-29-2011, 05:43 PM
I have had nest of giant hornets (not sure if it was that exact specie or not) in a apple tree bout 200 or feet from the house. A couple would buzz the house once in a while and these mofos were big.
They never bothered us at all. Sort of like heavy horses, I found them to be a non-threat, of course we didn't go ballastic when we saw them...Gave them their space and such.
I do know one thing. They love beer. Saw a many head for an open beer on the deck and walk right in the can. We invoked glass only beer containers since cause the thought of slamming a beer with a hornet swimming in it would be a definite buzz kill.
For loss of taxonomic expertise we just refered to them as Japanese Hornets and they were not bad neighbors.
We just left the nest alone and now they have disappeared. Have not seen one in years.
I have been hassled more by the damn yellow jackets in the pant leg type of thing.
rot

Well, anything that likes beer can't be all bad.

W5RB
07-29-2011, 05:46 PM
http://blogmoviola.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/green_hornet_logo-300x299.jpg

Watch also for this variety , known to keep close company with an Asian on occasion .

NQ6U
07-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Funny, I think I saw this guy (http://www.squidoo.com/strangedisappearances?utm_source=google&utm_medium=imgres&utm_campaign=framebuster) in my yard today:

http://i2.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens5543422_1246021864crater3.jpg

kc7jty
07-29-2011, 07:33 PM
The giant bee eating dog I posted will take care of it.

W1GUH
08-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Pretty sure I saw one here in Norwalk. But only one, maybe two, and only on one day. One that was spotted crawled out from under a rock.

The stinger of the Asian giant hornet is about 6 mm (¼ in) in length,,,,

Yikes!!!!

The hornets can devastate a colony of honey bees: a single hornet can kill as many as 40 honey bees per minute thanks to its large mandibles which can quickly strike and decapitate a bee. It takes only a few of these hornets a few hours to exterminate the population of a 30,000-member hive, leaving a trail of severed insect heads and limbs. The European honey bees Apis mellifera have small stings which do little damage to hornets that are five times their size and twenty times their weight. The honey bees make futile solo attacks without mounting a collective defense, and are easily killed individually by the hornets. Once a hive is emptied of all defending bees, the hornets feed on the honey and carry the larvae back to feed to their own larvae. The hornets can fly up to 100 kilometres (62 mi) in a single day, at speeds of up to 40 kilometres per hour (25 mph)[11]

Wonder how big a factor these guys are in the general disappearance of honey bees?

W3MIV
08-02-2011, 08:35 AM
More than likely, what you saw was an Eastern Cicada Killer. See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_cicada_killer).

W1GUH
08-02-2011, 08:39 AM
More than likely, what you saw was an Eastern Cicada Killer. See here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_cicada_killer).

Thanks, Albi. Yep...that fits a lot better with what I saw...especially since about that time I saw a dead cicada that looked like it had been eaten.

Whew! I'd much rather have these guys than that nasty guy from Asia!

K7SGJ
08-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Yikes !! I think I saw this guy flying in my yard today not more then 2 or 3 feet away from me !!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/Vespa_mandarinia.jpg

To my best knowledge this guy is not supposed to live anywhere near here. But what I saw fits the description perfectly with regards to size, markings, etc.

More here,,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet)

Anyone else see these in the United States ?

I wondered where I left that thing. Did it still have on its choke collar?

n2ize
08-02-2011, 12:27 PM

Possibly but what I saw was a lot bigger than the cicada killer.

W1GUH
08-02-2011, 12:39 PM
From wiki:

Adult eastern cicada killer wasps are large, 1.5 to 5.0 centimetres

The Asian giant hornet (Vespa mandarinia), including the subspecies Japanese giant hornet (Vespa mandarinia japonica),[1] colloquially known as the yak-killer hornet,[2] is the world's largest hornet, native to temperate and tropical Eastern Asia. Its body length is approximately 50 mm (2 in), with a wingspan of about 76 mm (3 in).[

Last time I did the calculation 50 mm = 5 cm?

Cicada killer:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/85/Cicada_Killer_Wasp.jpg/220px-Cicada_Killer_Wasp.jpg

Asian Giant:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/Picture_Vespa.jpg/250px-Picture_Vespa.jpg

W3MIV
08-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Possibly but what I saw was a lot bigger than the cicada killer.

Raw terror often has that effect.

n2ize
08-02-2011, 02:03 PM
From wiki:

Last time I did the calculation 50 mm = 5 cm?

Cicada killer:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/85/Cicada_Killer_Wasp.jpg/220px-Cicada_Killer_Wasp.jpg

Asian Giant:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/Picture_Vespa.jpg/250px-Picture_Vespa.jpg

Okay.what saw looked like the thing on the bottom picture. The color of the head,the eyes, the shape of the lower abdomen and the stripes on the lower abdomen match what saw. The things in the upper picture look nothing like what saw. In other words, I did not see a cicada killer.

Now,assuming that I did see the guy on the bottom my next question is, what the heck was he doing here ? I thought he is not supposed to live around here. :(.

W1GUH
08-02-2011, 02:42 PM
"Now,assuming that I did see the guy on the bottom my next question is, what the heck was he doing here ? I thought he is not supposed to live around here. . "

For that reason, I really hope what Albi said is operating here. If those Giant Asian thingies are really here.....:scared::scared::wtf:

n2ize
08-02-2011, 02:50 PM
"Now,assuming that I did see the guy on the bottom my next question is, what the heck was he doing here ? I thought he is not supposed to live around here. . "

For that reason, I really hope what Albi said is operating here. If those Giant Asian thingies are really here.....:scared::scared::wtf:

It is remotely possible that fear could have converted it into something that it wasn't. But, I am generally not squeamish or fearful of insects. My father was a beekeeper and I have worked around thousands upon thousands of bees wearing no bee veil , gloves or protection, just my bare hands and a tee shirt and jeans. I also have a pretty good eye for this sort of thing being that would frequently observe bees, wasps,and other types of insects. . I only got scared after realizing what this thing might actually be and how close I was to it.

What I saw the other day was hovering in bright sunlight right in front of me so, I got a very good look at him. And there were plenty of objects very nearby to gauge the size. All I can say is that he looked like the Asian hornet in size and features.

I am going to do some research to find out if Vespa Mandarinia have been sighted in North America. I sort of remember reading somewhere that some unscrupulous dealers may have imported them into the USA for people to keep as "exotic pets". If I ever see it again I will try and make careful note of the colour of its thorax.

W1GUH
08-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Look out for that 6 mm stinger.

KG4CGC
08-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Raw terror often has that effect.
That and soiled undergarments.

n2ize
08-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Look out for that 6 mm stinger.

BTW,if you are ever confronted by a Vespa Mandarinia don't kill it... especially by crushing it. Or, if you do get out of the area ASAP. It has a pheromone that is released that draws other Vespa Mandarinia to the crime scene to exact revenge on the killer. Also, if you are ever stung by one get out of the area ASAP. When it stings it injects (or sprays) you with that pheremone to attract other Vespa Mandarinia over to you. It also injects a chemical to make the sting much more painful. Along with venom and a neurotoxin. This is definitely not the kind of creature you would want to spend an afternoon with.

W1GUH
08-02-2011, 07:28 PM
BTW,if you are ever confronted by a Vespa Mandarinia don't kill it... especially by crushing it. Or, if you do get out of the area ASAP. It has a pheromone that is released that draws other Vespa Mandarinia to the crime scene to exact revenge on the killer. Also, if you are ever stung by one get out of the area ASAP. When it stings it injects (or sprays) you with that pheremone to attract other Vespa Mandarinia over to you. It also injects a chemical to make the stink much more painful. Along with venom and a neurotoxin. This is definitely not the kind of creature you would want to spend an afternoon with.

I read that, too...but had forgotten. Man, this time I really, really hope you mis-identified the critter. It would not be a good thing to have these all over the place. But even more importantly....the way they can wipe out a beehive would really spell trouble.

I'd rather have gypsy moths.

NA4BH
08-02-2011, 07:35 PM
BTW,if you are ever confronted by a Vespa don't kill it... especially by crushing it. Or, if you do get out of the area ASAP. It has a pheromone that is released that draws other Vespa owners to the crime scene to exact revenge on the killer. Also, if you are ever stung by one get out of the area ASAP.

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/images/news/1006/vespa.jpg

Who knew they were dangerous? WHO KNEW?

n2ize
08-02-2011, 09:33 PM
I read that, too...but had forgotten. Man, this time I really, really hope you mis-identified the critter. It would not be a good thing to have these all over the place. But even more importantly....the way they can wipe out a beehive would really spell trouble.

I'd rather have gypsy moths.

Also note, I meant to say "It injects a chemical that makes the STING much more painful.

W3MIV
08-03-2011, 05:45 AM
I am of the view that this thread has taken on a Shakespearean aspect: Much ado about nothing.

W1GUH
08-03-2011, 07:07 AM
http://extratv.warnerbros.com/images/news/1006/vespa.jpg

Who knew they were dangerous? WHO KNEW?

Maybe some of those carrying lifelong scars from riding 'em badly?

N2NH
08-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Okay.what saw looked like the thing on the bottom picture. The color of the head,the eyes, the shape of the lower abdomen and the stripes on the lower abdomen match what saw. The things in the upper picture look nothing like what saw. In other words, I did not see a cicada killer.

Now,assuming that I did see the guy on the bottom my next question is, what the heck was he doing here ? I thought he is not supposed to live around here. :(.

Call INS. They're sure to do something nothing about it.

Call Homeland Security. Aren't they always saying if you see something say something.

Call Wee Willie (2WH). He's running out of S#!T to post complain about.

n2ize
08-04-2011, 07:32 AM
I am of the view that this thread has taken on a Shakespearean aspect: Much ado about nothing.

Maybe. If it was actually Vespa Mandarinia then so be it, I am not going to worry about it. Besides, it didn't bother me. If it wasn't (and it may not have been) thhen there is even less to be concerned with. If I ever see it again I will try to get a much closer look at it.. Whatever it was it was a very beautiful insect. A bit unnerving, but extremely beautiful to watch. A miracle of nature and a king of the insect world.

W2NAP
08-04-2011, 10:40 AM

"globalizm at its finest" thats what its doing here. ive seen a couple here in indiana this year and a few last year. they are fukin huge

W1GUH
08-04-2011, 10:57 AM
"globalizm at its finest" thats what its doing here. ive seen a couple here in indiana this year and a few last year. they are fukin huge

Really! Verified as the baddies? If so, that's gotta be part of where the honey bees are going - something that's a bigger issue than getting stung.

n2ize
08-04-2011, 11:03 AM

Are you sure they were true Asian Giant Hornets and not European Hornets ? The 2 look similar and you need to look at the colour of the thorax. I am not sure I actually saw one, I would need to get another look, if ever I get the chance. They shouldn't be living here but, who knows.

W2NAP
08-04-2011, 11:57 AM
were pretty sure these we have seen are asians.

W3MIV
08-04-2011, 08:15 PM
A miracle of nature and a king of the insect world.

Nope. Eric Cantor holds that record.

NQ6U
08-04-2011, 08:21 PM

That's an insult to respectable insects everywhere. Cantor is mollusk.

n2ize
08-04-2011, 08:29 PM

:-D:-D:-D:-D:snicker:

W1GUH
08-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Are you sure they were true Asian Giant Hornets and not European Hornets ? The 2 look similar and you need to look at the colour of the thorax. I am not sure I actually saw one, I would need to get another look, if ever I get the chance. They shouldn't be living here but, who knows.

Have you seen any cicada carcasses in your yard? That'd be an indication that they're the cicada killers. I saw a carcasse shortly after I spotted the nasty bugger.

W3WN
08-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Are you sure they were true Asian Giant Hornets and not European Hornets ? The 2 look similar and you need to look at the colour of the thorax. I am not sure I actually saw one, I would need to get another look, if ever I get the chance. They shouldn't be living here but, who knows.And... what is their inflight velocity (laden or unladen)?

n2ize
08-08-2011, 07:58 PM
And... what is their inflight velocity (laden or unladen)?

I don't know that....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!

n2ize
08-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Have you seen any cicada carcasses in your yard? That'd be an indication that they're the cicada killers. I saw a carcasse shortly after I spotted the nasty bugger.

No, I haven't. This guy was not a Cicada Killer. He was either a European Hornet or an Asian Mandarin hornet. Probably European...hopefully. Haven't seen any since.