PDA

View Full Version : Old habits are hard to break, QSL.....QSL.....QSL?

koØm
07-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Speaking of "Ham Chit-Chat", I logged into a Special Events Net spotlighting the Fire Cracker 400 race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway; the net was operating in the 40 meter band. Although the NCO was trying his best to log as many contacts as possible in a short period of time, there were other operators who insisted on trying to rag-chew with the Control OP; he would try to cut them loose and, they would continue to ratchet on or ask superfluous questions.

Every transmission by everyone else started and ended with "QSL", QSL?

"QSL Whisky-9-IMS, Blah-blah-blah, QSL"?
"QSL <station> Blah-blah-blah, This Whisky-9-IMS QSL"?
"QSL, Blah-Blah-Blah, QSL"?
"QSL, Babble-babble, well 73 to you, QSL"?
"QSL, This is W-9-IMS Special Event Station Calling, QSL"?

Then, there was me.....Instead of QSL'ing every transmission, I said "Roger that" or "Copy That".

Old conversational patterns are slow to change, "10-Roger"?

KC2UGV
07-29-2011, 10:43 AM
I don't see anything wrong with "Roger that" or "Copy that". Q-codes while using voice sound kinda retarded, really. At least you didn't say,"10-4 good buddy". That would have caught you some hell.

Then again, I do get irritated when I hear,"Over and out" (Out is the final transmission, over is done transmitting and expecting a reply")

KC2UGV
07-29-2011, 10:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJCfUm21BsI

KG4CGC
07-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Had a 10m convo like that once. I never said QSO or QSL but the other station kept it up for about 10 minutes. Another ham came on, an older gent, never Q'd either. Eventually the youngster gave up the Q bizzarro and we all continued without a glitch.

W2NAP
07-29-2011, 02:34 PM
w9ims i worked them on 10 meters back in may.

koØm
07-29-2011, 02:49 PM

You are waiting for you Indy 500 Q-card, i am waiting for the Firecracker 400 card; if you work all three major speedway events, you get a certificate and all the cards. Cards will not be out till later this summer of fall.

ETA: You could've just stuck your head out the window and hollered!

I couldn't do it with the '706 and the dipole alone but, with a little help, I rolled in on the first call.

W2NAP
07-29-2011, 04:39 PM
You are waiting for you Indy 500 Q-card, i am waiting for the Firecracker 400 card; if you work all three major speedway events, you get a certificate and all the cards. Cards will not be out till later this summer of fall.

ETA: You could've just stuck your head out the window and hollered!

I couldn't do it with the '706 and the dipole alone but, with a little help, I rolled in on the first call.

not really worried about the card. just did it to see if i could make it to the west side of indianapolis from here i did it with just a driven element from a beam used as a dipole and 100w from the ts-430

in stead of yelling out the window. i could have used the 700 machine in indy lol

suddenseer
07-29-2011, 05:24 PM
I am mildly amused when i encounter this phenomena. When I was active on hf, I used mostly cw. I would spend a half hour of my night in the novice sub-band to give the new ham a contact. I rarely used ssb. On the short stick using FM simplex, or my club's repeaters there were some old timers that did the "QSL?", and "hi hi".
I would return with "R R R", I don't think any of them understood where I was coming from.

suddenseer
07-29-2011, 05:27 PM
not really worried about the card. just did it to see if i could make it to the west side of indianapolis from here i did it with just a driven element from a beam used as a dipole and 100w from the ts-430

in stead of yelling out the window. i could have used the 700 machine in indy lolI am happy to read about you having a good time on HF Tony. You are more radioactive than I am at the moment. I will soon be back on there with youze guyz.

W7XF
07-29-2011, 06:04 PM
<snip>in stead of yelling out the window. i could have used the 700 machine in indy lol<snip>

How whacker-ific!!!!!! W9IRA 146.700 repeater...More whackers than a circle jerk!!!! :irked:

Jerry
07-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Well - I am a relatively new ham - although I already have my Amateur Extra license -5 months.

I believe that I was smart enough to join a ham radio club, although not the best club in the world and I found myself a real Elmer, a person that shot straight from the hip.
He was a X CB'r - but he understood how Amateur radio worked.
The first thing he told me was to stop cussing.
I had a real bad habit of F this and F that - since my life was so shitty.
The other thing was that he told me to LISTEN, don't talk.

Now I have been involved with Amateur radio since the 1970's and I have used CB radios since at least 1969, so for me to listen to all of his advice was kind of hard to do, since.I have been listening for almost 40 years.

In the end, I took got annoyed when someone who wanted to pass themselves off as a ham kept using the CW terminology on the 2 meters.
I told them straight off - quit using QSL all the time, it degrades the meaning - along with HI HI - which means absolutely nothing to a new ham that does not do CW.
It's just that some people seems to think that it makes them look smarter if they do it.

With people like that, I just quit talking to them when they do it.

N8YX
07-29-2011, 07:44 PM
The other thing was that he told me to LISTEN, don't talk.
This is good advice. What was the rule of thumb...listen 95%; talk 5% of the time?

I spend a LOT more time listening than I do talking, unless a group of us is actively using radio (ham/CB, FRS/GMRS, etc) to coordinate an activity.

With people like that, I just quit talking to them when they do it.
Some people...you're simply not going to reach. Best to ignore them and move on if they perpetually insist on espousing bad operating habits.

There are a number of area (Akron, OH) hams who got their start on CB back in the day. None of them save the absolute rank newcomer uses any CB terminology when on our local ragchew frequency - 28.337. It's just easier to use 'plain English'.

KG4CGC
07-29-2011, 10:04 PM
There's a lot more to listen to than there is to say.

WØTKX
07-29-2011, 11:36 PM
One of my repeater-isms is to (pronouncing the word as "id",
not "eye dee") give my call when the repeater "id's" like this:

"Duboh-You Zero Tee Kay X-ray, for id, not ego".

Rare is the ham that gets that, but it's fun when they do. Aye-Four-Roger!

OhhhVER! :snicker:

W4GPL
07-29-2011, 11:42 PM
The "Firecracker 400", now known as the "Coke Zero 400" is a NASCAR event at the Daytona International Speedway held every July 4th weekend. Are you mistaken? The "Crown Royal" Presents Brickyard 500 is being held at IMS this weekend. QSL?

N8YX
07-30-2011, 09:33 AM
I just worked them on 40M SSB. Too few spots at the moment to really get 20M cooperating on that short of a path so I guess I'll try 75 a little later this afternoon.

suddenseer
07-30-2011, 09:46 AM
One of my repeater-isms is to (pronouncing the word as "id",
not "eye dee") give my call when the repeater "id's" like this:

"Duboh-You Zero Tee Kay X-ray, for id, not ego".

Rare is the ham that gets that, but it's fun when they do. Aye-Four-Roger!

OhhhVER! :snicker:That's SUPER!

suddenseer
07-30-2011, 09:55 AM
The "Firecracker 400", now known as the "Coke Zero 400" is a NASCAR event at the Daytona International Speedway held every July 4th weekend. Are you mistaken? The "Crown Royal" Presents Brickyard 500 is being held at IMS this weekend. QSL?The refreshments truck hit a snag. It is enough to make a grown man cry. http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/truck-full-of-whiskey-catches-fire-stalls-i-75truck-full-of-whiskey-catches-fire-stalls-i-75-traffic-1217377.html

W2NAP
07-31-2011, 03:37 PM
How whacker-ific!!!!!! W9IRA 146.700 repeater...More whackers than a circle jerk!!!! :irked:

aint that the truth

koØm
08-01-2011, 01:31 PM
The "Firecracker 400", now known as the "Coke Zero 400" is a NASCAR event at the Daytona International Speedway held every July 4th weekend. Are you mistaken? The "Crown Royal" Presents Brickyard 500 is being held at IMS this weekend. QSL?

QSL on the Brick Yard 500, not the Firecracker 400, QSL!

KG4CGC
08-01-2011, 03:06 PM
What happened to the Marconi Net guy? Did he give up?

KK4AMI
08-04-2011, 05:29 PM
I heard and checked in with him on 3.842 MHz a couple of weeks ago. I also tried to talk on 3.885 with the AMers, but they are a chatty bunch, hard to try and break in on. I do love the sound of AM.

KG4CGC
08-04-2011, 10:57 PM
I can't remember his call but I do remember he gets a lot of forum hits on Google.

W3WN
08-05-2011, 09:11 AM
What happened to the Marconi Net guy? Did he give up?Marconi? Plays the mamba; listen to the radio.

N8YX
08-06-2011, 08:00 PM
The Marconi Net was on as recently as last Wednesday - may have been operational last night but we were out of the shack, partying our fool arses off at the neighbors' place.

It should be starting in a few, jammers and all. I'll park a receiver on 3842 momentarily.

N8YX
08-06-2011, 08:28 PM
It should be starting in a few, jammers and all. I'll park a receiver on 3842 momentarily.
Right on cue, Fred fired the net up.

And right on cue, the jammers fired up on top of him.