Care for a peanut?
Don't mind if I do.

Make that to go.

KG4CGC
07-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Awww!

w2amr
07-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Awww!Little sucker comes up to me and stands with his front feet on my shoe begging for a nut. He tried to follow me in the house yesterday.

KG4CGC
07-27-2011, 04:13 PM
I'd say it's time to stock up on nuts then. It will be interesting to see what he(?) does come Winter. Will he want to hang with you or follow his instinct to hibernate?

KK4AMI
07-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Little sucker comes up to me and stands with his front feet on my shoe begging for a nut. He tried to follow me in the house yesterday.

Where have I seen that before? First its just your nuts, then the next thing you know they're tryin' teh move in with ya?

n2ize
07-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Hey George, how come you're being nice to the squirrels instead of launching them with catapults like they do on U-Tube videos ?

n2ize
07-27-2011, 04:20 PM
I'd say it's time to stock up on nuts then. It will be interesting to see what he(?) does come Winter. Will he want to hang with you or follow his instinct to hibernate?

If you have a bird feeder out all year, or if you feed them they will come out in winter. I see them out all the time round here in the snow and the freezing cold.

w2amr
07-27-2011, 04:38 PM
If you have a bird feeder out all year, or if you feed them they will come out in winter. I see them out all the time round here in the snow and the freezing cold.I keep the bird feeders full all year round, and I have a bird bath with a little plug in heater that keeps the water from freezing in the winter. I have quite an assortment of birds that visit, including every feral pigeon in town.:mrgreen: I also have a fair share of squirrels too.

w2amr
07-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Where have I seen that before? First its just your nuts, then the next thing you know they're tryin' teh move in with ya?If I'm not careful this guy might move into my garage.:mrgreen:

w2amr
07-27-2011, 04:43 PM
He only comes around here to eat. Once he's full and gets a drink, he's gone.
Do they hibernate? I didn't know that. I see them around here all year.

KG4CGC
07-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Apparently, some do and some don't. Didn't know that.

rot
07-27-2011, 05:27 PM
Bwaaa! Cool stuff.
:agree:
rot

n2ize
07-27-2011, 06:33 PM
I keep the bird feeders full all year round, and I have a bird bath with a little plug in heater that keeps the water from freezing in the winter. I have quite an assortment of birds that visit, including every feral pigeon in town.:mrgreen: I also have a fair share of squirrels too.

yeah. My folks are the same. They have all year round bird feeders. Sometimes, if you see no birds or squirrels around the feeder you know a hawk is nearby. But otherwise they feed all year. Squirrels, Chipmunks, and every kind of bird imaginable comes by all year round. One afternoon a huge flock of blackbirds came by and cleaned out the entire yard and left. Even had a couple of seagulls come by and that is extremely rare for around here. Pigeons and doves come by noiw and then but haven't seen any lately.

n2ize
07-27-2011, 06:34 PM
If I'm not careful this guy might move into my garage.:mrgreen:

One time we were giving a squirrel peanuts by the door and the squirrel actually walked into the house waiting for another peanut.

K7SGJ
07-27-2011, 06:57 PM
Years ago when we were building the house, we had a one eyed squirrel that came to visit. We gave him peanuts and stuff and he was quite friendly. From the looks of the scars around the missing eye, either a hawk or owl got him. When ever we drove up, I'd just whistle and he would come running up. He was a constant visitor for several months, and all of a sudden he quit showing up. I can only assume something came up on his blind side and got him. Such is life in the wild, I guess.

suddenseer
07-27-2011, 07:31 PM
I had a "little buddy" like that for a year. He would come up to me for a peanut. I kept unsalted ones for him/her. I finally offered one, and he came right up to my hand. Then the little fukker jumper up latched onto my thumb with his razor sharp teeth. He would not let go, I shook him off not before he took a nice piece of meat out of my thumb. 6 stitches, tetanus, and very painful anti rabis injections later, I learned to feed them rock salt from my 10 gage.

W3MIV
07-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I'd recommend one of those fibreglas jock straps just in case you run short of nuts and he is still in a rambunctious frame of mind. Better safe than soprano.

N2NH
07-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Ya got great taste in friends George. Now this is what makes the Island different. We got squirrels and bunnehs, but no liberal eating bears.
:yes:

KB3LAZ
07-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Hibernate...I hunt them in the winter, they are very active here. That aside, the ones on campus will climb up your pant leg, run up your shirt, and sit on your shoulder waiting for food. Petting them is fine..do not attempt to pick them up. I tried to convince this one chick of that but noooooo she had to go and try to pick it up..ofc it bit her. She was upset...DUH! lol

w2amr
07-28-2011, 04:14 AM
I had a "little buddy" like that for a year. He would come up to me for a peanut. I kept unsalted ones for him/her. I finally offered one, and he came right up to my hand. Then the little fukker jumper up latched onto my thumb with his razor sharp teeth. He would not let go, I shook him off not before he took a nice piece of meat out of my thumb. 6 stitches, tetanus, and very painful anti rabis injections later, I learned to feed them rock salt from my 10 gage.nice

w2amr
07-28-2011, 04:22 AM
Hibernate...I hunt them in the winter, they are very active here. That aside, the ones on campus will climb up your pant leg, run up your shirt, and sit on your shoulder waiting for food. Petting them is fine..do not attempt to pick them up. I tried to convince this one chick of that but noooooo she had to go and try to pick it up..ofc it bit her. She was upset...DUH! lolTnx, but I have no intention of petting him or picking him up. I enjoy not bleeding.

KB3LAZ
07-28-2011, 05:18 AM
Whats life without a little blood?

N8YX
07-28-2011, 06:36 AM
When I was in junior high, a squirrel whom I nicknamed "One-eyed Charlie" (due to its being blind in one eye) was quite fond of perching on my knee and begging for a handout. It would also jump onto the kitchen windowsill and scratch the glass in an effort to get me to come out.

W3WN
07-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Little sucker comes up to me and stands with his front feet on my shoe begging for a nut. He tried to follow me in the house yesterday.Won't happen every day.

You know how it is...

Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you don't.

W1GUH
07-28-2011, 08:59 AM
I had a "little buddy" like that for a year. He would come up to me for a peanut. I kept unsalted ones for him/her. I finally offered one, and he came right up to my hand. Then the little fukker jumper up latched onto my thumb with his razor sharp teeth. He would not let go, I shook him off not before he took a nice piece of meat out of my thumb. 6 stitches, tetanus, and very painful anti rabis injections later, I learned to feed them rock salt from my 10 gage.

Yea...those lil fuckers can fuck you up -- glad you made it through, albeit painfully.

"We got squirrels and bunnehs, but no liberal eating bears."

If I could do youtube here, there's probably a video, but since I can't...

There's old friends and new friends and even a bear!

http://media.nj.com/entertainment_impact_tv/photo/cleveland-show-reviewjpg-0b79c147604b6b5f_large.jpg

K7SGJ
07-28-2011, 09:03 AM
The only squirrel activity we get now, is the little bastards digging under the foundation. We just had one that dug out at least 2 wheelbarrows of the abc under the back porch. We trapped the little shit and took him about two miles away and turned him loose in the desert. A few days latter we had another one under the slab. I had heard that these over grown rats are very territorial and travel long distances to return to their habitat. So we trapped this one and before we let him go, I spray painted the tip of his tail florescent orange. Took him about four miles out this time. Sure enough, a few days later the son of a bitch with the orange tail was back. We trapped him again and took him about 40 miles out to turn him loose. Haven't seen him since. Who would have thought the little twits had GPS.

W3WN
07-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Squirrels now stay out of our backyard. Lucy Furr loves to chase them, or any birds looking for worms, and especially any rabbits that squeeze under the fence. (Sorry Ren, but she just can't wait to chase meet you.)

Front yard? That's a different story. Rabbit pellets here & there, I've pretty much given up on most flowers because the four legged rodents deer munch on them, and a couple of little tunnels which imply we have moles or chipmunks living under the front lawn. And the borough won't permit anyone to fence in their front yard for aesthetic reasons.

W1GUH
07-28-2011, 09:27 AM
The only squirrel activity we get now, is the little bastards digging under the foundation. We just had one that dug out at least 2 wheelbarrows of the abc under the back porch. We trapped the little shit and took him about two miles away and turned him loose in the desert. A few days latter we had another one under the slab. I had heard that these over grown rats are very territorial and travel long distances to return to their habitat. So we trapped this one and before we let him go, I spray painted the tip of his tail florescent orange. Took him about four miles out this time. Sure enough, a few days later the son of a bitch with the orange tail was back. We trapped him again and took him about 40 miles out to turn him loose. Haven't seen him since. Who would have thought the little twits had GPS.

Now there's someone who really knows squirrels and the proper terminology to use while writing about them!

W1GUH
07-28-2011, 09:28 AM
In college we played "squirrel gets the nuts."