PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Netflix?

W1GUH
07-25-2011, 08:55 PM
I just searched their movies and they've got stuff I've found impossible to find anywhere else, so I'm tempted to go for it. I'll be streaming to a PS3.

They as good as everyone says?

NQ6U
07-25-2011, 09:07 PM
I just searched their movies and they've got stuff I've found impossible to find anywhere else, so I'm tempted to go for it. I'll be streaming to a PS3.

Depends on your ISP. Here, there are constant interruptions as it rebuffers, which is very annoying. Also,, the cost is about to go up. At the moment, there's no extra charge for streaming but starting on September 1, it will cost six bucks extra.

W1GUH
07-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Don't expect roadrunner to be a problem here. You using DSL? As for the rate increase, yea, I know about that, but so long as it stays month-to-month I don't have a problem with it. I believe they've got Antonioni's complete filmography plus lots of Emmanelle movies (especially the first 3) (Ahhh...now there's some beautiful filming). Those by themselves are worth the price for however long it takes me to watch 'em.

Could turn into an infinite time sink.

Thanks for the info.

KC2UGV
07-25-2011, 09:36 PM
As long as you are not streaming to a Wii, you should be good to go. Some rebuffering occasionally, but even on 3G mobile, streaming is decent.

KB3LAZ
07-25-2011, 09:47 PM

We used to have it. When my contract ran out I just didnt renew because we didnt utilize it enough. However, if you watch at least one moive a day it pays for itself. Even if they do raise it by 6$ it wont be a bad deal. As far as buffer issues, I had none. We even run low end DSL and there were still no issues.

suddenseer
07-26-2011, 04:24 AM
Love it. I had the $9.95/month plan foe one dvd out @a time. I have an eclectic taste in movie choices, and their catalog is awesome. I watched "The Third Man" last weekend for the 10th time.

KB3LAZ
07-26-2011, 04:45 AM
Love it. I had the $9.95/month plan foe one dvd out @a time. I have an eclectic taste in movie choices, and their catalog is awesome. I watched "The Third Man" last weekend for the 10th time.

IIRC that is not an unlimited plan. Ie the list of choices is smaller. When I read the disclaimer we went with the next package in line so that we could choose from all of their movies. In hide sight, wasnt necessary.

W3MIV
07-26-2011, 06:19 AM
I am using the streaming version of Netflix via FiOS. Unlike Carlo, I suffer almost no dropouts through my WiFi/FiOS linkup. Only thing "wrong" with the streaming side of the Netflix system is that the catalogue of movies is quite a bit more limited than their snail-mail DVD offerings. I currently pay $7.99/month for streaming; under the old scheme, I could have added DVDs for another $2 --- but all good things must come to an end.

Alas, the new pricing scheme obviates getting both DVDs and streaming for the old $9.95/month charge. They now will charge separately for each service. I am especially fond of Brit mysteries, and the Netflix catalogue is overflowing with them -- Morse, Frost, Barnaby, etc. Unfortunately, though, I often encounter series in which many of the episodes are unavailable on streaming, though available as DVDs. This may be changing; I have not been a Netflix streaming customer for very long. It may be that they are adding to the streaming catalogue and thereby reducing the number of "unavailable" titles. Such is my hope. Time will tell.

Overall, I recommend the system highly. Excellent HD quality (though all programs are not recorded in true HD, being ordinary DVD quality) through my Samsung box and 55" Samsung LCD.

There is also Hulu, which I have not tried so cannot offer comment.

W1GUH
07-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Thanks for all the info; looks like I'm faced with the choice of streaming or DVD's but that doesn't seem like that big a deal -- just gotta check over everything BEFORE jumping.

Still, their catalog looks very complete. That by itself makes it look very good.

KC2UGV
07-26-2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks for all the info; looks like I'm faced with the choice of streaming or DVD's but that doesn't seem like that big a deal -- just gotta check over everything BEFORE jumping.

Still, their catalog looks very complete. That by itself makes it look very good.

You can do both, unless your budget precludes it :) But, if you have to choose, I'd go with streaming.

W3WN
07-26-2011, 08:36 AM
I've considered NetFlix. The cost doesn't worry me. My concern is that my daughter will spend the bulk of the summer watching movies and doing nothing else... and she's in full teenage mode, those of you who've been through this know what I mean.

Worse, her friend up the street, the semi-goth (used to be a full goth) with the screwed up feuding parents (that's another story) will want to spend the days with Jess, watching the more violent movies available -- as evidenced by what DVD's she brings over when she visits. Now if she wants to watch horror and gore, that's not my business... but when she wants to do it in my house, it is. No thanks.

WV6Z
07-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Have had Netflix here for quite some time, I used to stream wireless to my laptop and HDMI out to the TV. Have upgraded the home theater experience a bit by adding a Samsung Blu Ray player that adds load to my wireless network. Absolutely no rebuffering issues..... ever..... well, since going from 8MB to 25MB and now finally on to 60MB service. One thing to keep in mind is it is not always the ISPs fault. Entry level cable or DSL will net you what you are paying for. If you cannot supply 12MB minimum to what ever device you are using to access Netflix, you will likely be disappointed. I am disappointed to report that I will have some rather substantial upgrades to do to my home wireless network to take advantage of 60MB service being shared for all it's worth. My 'stuff' is capable of providing a smidge over 15MB to ALL of my devices, so, it will be downgrade to 25MB service for me. In short, if your 'poo' can't handle it or is not capable, it's not your ISPs fault or problem. Oh and one other note about Netflix...... I am a $7.99 subscriber and my weakness is ancient TV shows, especially Brit stuff. They have a really fine offering of pretty much everything at the $2 per week level and if I want a Blu Ray or DVD, upgrading to Netflix $9.99 level (or whatever it will be shortly) is NOT going to be a consideration.

W3MIV
07-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Now if she wants to watch horror and gore, that's not my business... but when she wants to do it in my house, it is. No thanks.

I know Gore, but who is "Horror?" Bachmann?

W3WN
07-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Albie, I'm not going to touch that one with a ten foot Pole. Or even a five foot Palin.

[cue: rimshot]

KB3LAZ
07-26-2011, 02:37 PM
I've considered NetFlix. The cost doesn't worry me. My concern is that my daughter will spend the bulk of the summer watching movies and doing nothing else... and she's in full teenage mode, those of you who've been through this know what I mean.

Worse, her friend up the street, the semi-goth (used to be a full goth) with the screwed up feuding parents (that's another story) will want to spend the days with Jess, watching the more violent movies available -- as evidenced by what DVD's she brings over when she visits. Now if she wants to watch horror and gore, that's not my business... but when she wants to do it in my house, it is. No thanks.

Lol, dont let her read the zed then.

Now back to tv and such. As stated before I dont watch it often. However in my teenage years I read, watched tv, and played video games constantly. I do know what you mean but I grew out of it. If you do want to get netflix and you dont want her to watch tv all day limit it to one device so that yall can watch in in the living room as a family etc. =) This is how my grandparents house was, one tv in the living room. Grandma would limit how much tv we children could watch and after a set point it was GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY. xD

KC9ECI
07-26-2011, 03:05 PM
I recently picked up a Roku. Got rid of my dish, upped my DSL and really like Netflix. We've had it for a year or better now and with the change have elected to go with the streaming only service. I never bothered to get DVD's mailed in anyway. Prior to the Roku we streamed it via the Wii. My only complaint now is with Hulu. I can sit and watch Hulu content on my computer all day, every day, and am not to bothered about the occasional commercial interruption. Where I have a bone to pick with Hulu is they won't let me stream the content to my TV via my Roku unless I pay $8 a month and then I still have to suffer the commercial interruptions. I guess they don't realize that a lot of laptops have HDMI connections now and it wouldn't take long at $8 a month to justify buying a laptop to dedicate to streaming content to my TV. Hell, if I wanted, I could cobble a computer together out of the junk parts I have out in the garage and just feed the video via the S-Video out on the graphics card. I've watched a lot of standard definition TV in my life, I wouldn't be that bothered to watch more.

W3WN
07-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Lol, dont let her read the zed then.I don't. I don't want to scar her for life.

Now back to tv and such. As stated before I dont watch it often. However in my teenage years I read, watched tv, and played video games constantly. I do know what you mean but I grew out of it. If you do want to get netflix and you dont want her to watch tv all day limit it to one device so that yall can watch in in the living room as a family etc. =) This is how my grandparents house was, one tv in the living room. Grandma would limit how much tv we children could watch and after a set point it was GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY. xDUmmm, yeah, but the problem is that there's no way to lock down the main TV (and that's the one it would have to be on) as it's in the living room in the center of the house. With both of us working, we're not physically there to stop her.

Best not to yield to temptation.

Besides, when the boss is home, based on recent experience, there would be a small but finite playlist... there are certain movies that Must Be Watched when they're on the tube. Nah. I won't get NetFlix for that, cheaper to just buy the appropriate DVD's outright (which she then refuses to watch, but that's another story)

ab1ga
07-27-2011, 08:08 PM
We've used it for years. Before the adopted son arrived, we were exclusively DVD, one out at a time, and it worked out very well.
Son arrives, now streaming is the happening thing, but the selection is thinner, and generally weaker.
Son will leave for college in the fall, we'll upgrade to two disks at a time just to reduce dwell time, and I won't miss streaming at all.

There's better things to do than watch TV all day, even if it is a NetFlix movie. Books come to mind...

W1GUH
07-28-2011, 09:05 AM
'WN:

I don't. I don't want to scar her for life.

Is this "Little Miss Field Day" we're talking about? If so, it might be the case that she's already "scarred for life."

W1GUH
07-28-2011, 09:07 AM
"There's better things to do than watch TV all day, even if it is a NetFlix movie. Books come to mind... "

As long as "come to mind" is ALL they do...after all, we don't have thought police just yet. But actually possessing and reading a book? Aren't there laws against that by now?

W3WN
07-28-2011, 09:15 AM
'WN:
I don't. I don't want to scar her for life. Is this "Little Miss Field Day" we're talking about? If so, it might be the case that she's already "scarred for life."Well, OK then, but different scars.

W1GUH
07-28-2011, 09:17 AM
The good ones.

W3WN
07-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Yeah. Tell me about it.

We had a little talk last night. Now, I'm very proud that LMFD has volunteered to help out at the Castle Shannon VFD Carnival, which is their main fund raiser. And I don't have a problem with her walking down to it around 6 PM -- in full daylight when people are out and about, and it's only about 3/4 of a mile from our house to the fire department.

Coming home, though, is a different story. 10:30 to 11:00 at night, dark street, and unfortunately, late nights are when people speed down the "main drag", blow stop signs, and so forth. Plus the few businesses along the route are closed -- except for the bar. Mom is getting worried, and so, we talked.

"Dad! Don't you trust me!?" 15. Invulnerable. Knows everything. Any parent with a teenager or pre-teen understands.

Of course I do. I'm not worried about her doing something stoopid. It's the assorted nutz on the road.

She's reluctantly agreed, for her mother's sake, to let us come get her at the end of the night. Now we'll see if she does it tonight.

W1GUH
07-30-2011, 02:15 PM
On closer inspection...I see the catches.

1) Very few of the movies I want to watch can be streamed
2) To watch them I have to do the DVD by mail thing, that adds another $8
3) To get Blu-Ray disks, that adds $2

Total = $18. Guess that's not so bad considering the titles that "entitles" me to...how long do the take to come by mail?

I'll have to look for "by mail" only for $10?

NQ6U
07-30-2011, 02:44 PM
YMMV, but for me, if I put a disk in the mail on Monday, I have another by Thursday at the latest.

W1GUH
07-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks, good to know.