PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Volkswagon?

W1GUH
07-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Be aware of what happens down the road...

5 Used Cars to Avoid (and 5 Better Alternatives) (http://autos.yahoo.com/news/5-used-cars-to-avoid--and-5-better-alternatives-.html)

The Beetle has reliability problems with " the climate control system and power equipment, both of which can lead to expensive repairs."

The Passat has "problems with the fuel, electrical and climate systems and the power equipment.

This is exactly my expreience with Volkswagon products.

Volkswagen strikes out again. Despite being praised by reviewers when new, the Passat gets the minimum J.D. Power two circles and a below-average rating from Consumer Reports.

Yep. Volkswagon products are insidiously seductive when new...but they turn out to be very high maintenance. I had AC and electrical problems with all the Audis I owned, and it sure looks like Volkswagon has maintained the "tradition" of selling cars with big engineering goofs that are gonna cost the end user dearly.

But, if ya just GOTTA have that "German engineering"....be aware that what that really means is...

Breaks easy and often, and costs lots and lots of $$$$$$$$$ to fix. If you can actually get if fixed...

I'll take Japanese and even Korean engineering over that hyped-up German crap anyday.

K7SGJ
07-25-2011, 10:06 AM
The '48 and '62 beetles I had didn't have those problems. The climate control had either a window crank for cooling, or couple of vents under the rear seats that could be opened for heat, from the engine. (And of course carbon monoxide poisoning) The only power equipment was operating the reserve fuel tank, and that power was supplied by the drivers foot kicking a lever on the firewall. Cheap to operate, too. However, the rear window was quite small, especially on the '48. Oh the days of simplicity.

W3WN
07-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Funny you should mention that.

The Corner Captain for my Vintage Grand Prix flag position is very active in the local Audi club. He was complaining over the weekend that he's going to have to invest close to $10K to keep his car road worthy, let alone race worthy, in the next 6 months.

And yet, for all his kvetching and moaning, he's thinking about buying another one instead. Even though it will cost him over $60K.

W1GUH
07-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Funny you should mention that.

The Corner Captain for my Vintage Grand Prix flag position is very active in the local Audi club. He was complaining over the weekend that he's going to have to invest close to $10K to keep his car road worthy, let alone race worthy, in the next 6 months.

And yet, for all his kvetching and moaning, he's thinking about buying another one instead. Even though it will cost him over $60K.

Been there...done that. Those damn cars are so frequin' sexy when they're "right" that they'll send you to the poor house chasing that siren. Always with the promise that "it'll be 100%" when, in fact, ya never get there. Either the problem doesn't get fixed, really, or something else breaks very soon.

Best way to put it is....

Back when I FINALLY got rational and stopped chasing that dream and drove nothing but Celicas, a few months after that I felt richer than I had for a long time. I made the comment to my wife at the time that I seemed to have more money than ever. She said, "Of course. You drive Celicas and don't always have yet another $500 repair bill." She was right on with that!

And, BTW...when I actually spoke to Audi, their response was (I shit you not...exact qoute from the rep in his best teutonic German accent), "Our Ressssponssssability endssssss whent the car leavesssssss the factory." Exact quote. They accepted no responsibility for the horrible implementation of a wonderful design.

KA9MOT
07-25-2011, 10:50 AM
The old red Ford F-150 (1995 Model) has 300K on the clock. The Mazda built 5-speed transmission has caused some problems and the 4.9L (300 CID) 6 cylinder engine is starting to get a bit noisy, so we keep the oil full and fresh and we'll try to get another 100K out of her. The next transmission is going to be a ZF though (easy conversion). No more foreign crap for me..........

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk34/kc0rey/HPIM0473.jpg

PA5COR
07-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Hyunday Atoz for the wife.
Hyundai H1 ( or H200 here) van for me.

Cheap and cheerfull, easy to repair, parts are a steal.

LOL

KA9MOT
07-25-2011, 11:31 AM
I just read the article...... It looks like a Toyota/Hyundai ad. And they listed my 1998 Ford DXpedition! What a deal that thing has turned out to be. $800 cash because somebody stripped out a sparkplug hole and the plug blew out. Ford said $200 to put an insert in it. Then the looked at it and said somebody had tried to fix it and drilled the hole out to big...........So now I have a big maroon and silver driveway ornament that is drivable but sounds like an antique John Deere until I can come up with enough funds to replace the head. The parts are cheap (Junkyard head = $60), but the labor is killer @ $1100.

What a deal!!!! Can't win them all......

By the way, I do drive it every once in a while to keep the battery charged and everything lubricated....you should see some of the looks I get... It's embarrassing!

PA5COR
07-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Dunno about the Mexico build quality of the VW cars, just that in German build cars these "problems" don't pop up like that.

There's a VW forum in the USA i sometimes read, and i don't reckognise those problems there either.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=569892

Here the selection is lots better.
In Europe the selection is much more advanced from the 1.2l Lupo that gets 2.9l/100km (81USmpg [97 Imp mpg]) up to the 313hp V10 TDI with 553 lbs of torque and everything in between.

LOL

KG4CGC
07-25-2011, 01:11 PM
68 to 74
If you like Beetles that is, and can turn a wrench, and don't mind the upper limits of horse power being in the 70+/- range, then those old bugs are great. Forget air conditioning but in the Winter you can use 12V hair dryers (square heaters really) that work hella better than the stock smoke pumpers. I'd also opt for the extended oil pan with the canister filter and the offset oil cooler.

W1GUH
07-25-2011, 01:19 PM
68 to 74
If you like Beetles that is, and can turn a wrench, and don't mind the upper limits of horse power being in the 70+/- range, then those old bugs are great. Forget air conditioning but in the Winter you can use 12V hair dryers (square heaters really) that work hella better than the stock smoke pumpers. I'd also opt for the extended oil pan with the canister filter and the offset oil cooler.

Yep. The original Beetles were wonderful. And they came standard with:

1) Four on the floor.
2) Bucket Seats
3) Baby Moon Hubcaps!

That's something for that era!

KG4CGC
07-25-2011, 01:25 PM
NEVER got stuck in the snow! Not even in the big one here of '88. 18" to 2' overnight. These days I'd also opt for front disc brakes at the very least.

W1GUH
07-25-2011, 02:08 PM
And if, by some rare occurrance, you DID get stuck in the snow, you and 2 or 3 other friends could lift it right out of the ruts!

KG4CGC
07-25-2011, 02:19 PM
And if, by some rare occurrance, you DID get stuck in the snow, you and 2 or 3 other friends could lift it right out of the ruts!True dat. The way the car is set up though, it just bites the road. Grabs the snow the is the only way to describe it. If it had twice the power, it would be dangerous. Most people would be rolling them all over the place. Some did out of sheer ignorance!

Unless you're over 6'2", go ahead and chop the top and look for ways to change the balance to the center. For starters, move the battery to the middle not the side. The Super Beetle had the spare tire sitting in the bottom of the storage area and accomplished this with the McPherson strut suspension forcing a wider front end design. Lower the suspension 1" all the way around, you'll still have good clearance.
If you do chop the top, look for carbon fiber of fiberglass kits. They do make fiberglass fender kits and that will do a lot to center up the balance.

I'm not even mentioning the Karmen Ghia yet. Just drop a 914 engine in that bad boy. Not sure if they used a McP strut front end in that though.

W1GUH
07-25-2011, 02:53 PM
True dat. The way the car is set up though, it just bites the road. Grabs the snow the is the only way to describe it. If it had twice the power, it would be dangerous. Most people would be rolling them all over the place. Some did out of sheer ignorance!

Unless you're over 6'2", go ahead and chop the top and look for ways to change the balance to the center. For starters, move the battery to the middle not the side. The Super Beetle had the spare tire sitting in the bottom of the storage area and accomplished this with the McPherson strut suspension forcing a wider front end design. Lower the suspension 1" all the way around, you'll still have good clearance.
If you do chop the top, look for carbon fiber of fiberglass kits. They do make fiberglass fender kits and that will do a lot to center up the balance.

I'm not even mentioning the Karmen Ghia yet. Just drop a 914 engine in that bad boy. Not sure if they used a McP strut front end in that though.

Just saw a cherry Ghia on the street yesterday. Gawd! Those cars are gorgeous!

KG4CGC
07-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Just saw a cherry Ghia on the street yesterday. Gawd! Those cars are gorgeous!wurd

KK4AMI
07-25-2011, 03:29 PM
wurd

I had a 71 Karmen Ghia while I was in School. I dropped that little 4 cyl out of the back and rebuilt it with a Brazilian Piston and Cylinder kit on my Dad's work bench. That upped the bore and stroke. After adding a cute little Holley two barrel and fancy plenum, I put it back in the car and went back to school. I used the book "How to rebuild the Volkswagen, for the complete Idiot." That car sailed down interstates and ate gas. But it saw me through school with only a couple of repair parts trips to K-mart.

KB3LAZ
07-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Not considering one, they are UGLY!

KG4CGC
07-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Nerdy Vamper kids and their Beetles. LOL!

KB3LAZ
07-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Nerdy Vamper kids and their Beetles. LOL!

Yuck.

KG4CGC
07-25-2011, 10:29 PM
I want a 1963 Caddy, DeVille I think. There's a vamper car!

KG4CGC
07-25-2011, 10:46 PM
or is it a 64?

NQ6U
07-26-2011, 12:12 AM
or is it a 64?

The only significant difference is a slight variation in the tail lights.

1963:

http://www.timjan.com/nor-cal/park63/spark63.jpg

1964:

http://1964cadillac.com/photos/1964-cadillac3.jpg

KB3LAZ
07-26-2011, 12:50 AM
Maserati 3200 GT. That's what Selen drives. ^^ I wont argue with her. xD But Id gladly let her bite me. ^^

KG4CGC
07-26-2011, 01:27 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianlattaphotography/333722266/in/set-72157594439007870/

W1GUH
07-26-2011, 08:01 AM
Hey, if you're gonna go the Caddy route, ya gotta go for the tackiest:

http://www.freewebs.com/crosbyhigh1959/Cool59Caddy2.jpg

Who's tackier? The car of the female?

W3WN
07-26-2011, 11:24 AM
< photo snipped, see above>
Who's tackier? The car of the female?Neither.

Pink Flamingos.

WØTKX
07-26-2011, 11:40 AM
That was Divine. :shifty:

Here's a really nice custom Caddy, for cruising around Gotham City like a hero/villan.

http://uploads.fender.com/blogs/fender/2010/03/ehbus.jpg

W1GUH
07-26-2011, 02:07 PM

Here's a really nice custom Caddy, for cruising around Gotham City like a hero/villan.

THAT's a sexy automobile. For sale?

KG4CGC
07-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Maserati 3200 GT. That's what Selen drives. ^^ I wont argue with her. xD But Id gladly let her bite me. ^^
Looks like an Aston Martin DB9. How about the Bora? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&pq=maserati+3200+gt&xhr=t&q=maserati+bora&cp=12&qe=TWFzZXJhdGkgYm9y&qesig=qly7HytyaCDLD_QKsT5EMg&pkc=AFgZ2tlmwRMNxoKdepkqXFZ5MHM7r0r8ai4-OsTDh8-lUSANGBInjel_2kZ2kEo9Pkzrn2VAbjjtAyoSLPqNtuj9zZF-ech8Zw&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1680&bih=840&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi
It was made for actually driving, not fighting with it.

KB3LAZ
07-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Looks like an Aston Martin DB9. How about the Bora? http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&pq=maserati+3200+gt&xhr=t&q=maserati+bora&cp=12&qe=TWFzZXJhdGkgYm9y&qesig=qly7HytyaCDLD_QKsT5EMg&pkc=AFgZ2tlmwRMNxoKdepkqXFZ5MHM7r0r8ai4-OsTDh8-lUSANGBInjel_2kZ2kEo9Pkzrn2VAbjjtAyoSLPqNtuj9zZF-ech8Zw&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1680&bih=840&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi
It was made for actually driving, not fighting with it.

Ewww

KB3LAZ
07-26-2011, 02:30 PM

Now thats sexy.

KG4CGC
07-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Ewww4.7 litre mid engine V8 and all the comforts you're used too in a modern car including lumbar and thigh support seats. It's a true grand touring car made for both the interstate and the back roads.

KG4CGC
07-26-2011, 02:40 PM
It's OK. I know a lot of guys these day who would rather drive a chick car. You car can be my car's cute little girlfriend.

KB3LAZ
07-26-2011, 02:45 PM
4.7 litre mid engine V8 and all the comforts you're used too in a modern car including lumbar and thigh support seats. It's a true grand touring car made for both the interstate and the back roads.

:P My current car has no comforts. Its cheap and it gets good mpgs.

KG4CGC
07-26-2011, 02:47 PM
:P My current car has no comforts. Its cheap and it gets good mpgs.
We are not talking about your current car. I'm not trying to say anything negative about your current ride OM.

KB3LAZ
07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
We are not talking about your current car. I'm not trying to say anything negative about your current ride OM.

I know but I am. :D

KG4CGC
07-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Well I've been considering something on down the road that's easy to work on. That would be the VW Beetle years 70 - 74. Prefer a Super Beetle due to the front suspension. I tore 2 of them apart in the mid 80s with minimal tools and everything is pretty straight forward. The trick is that you simply don't rev them past 4500, 6000 tops unless you like tearing the case apart weekly. They were tough cars and could take some abuse but keep your foot off the high revs. I'd upgrade the electrical system to something heavy duty so I could run a big electric heater.

Looking at getting a cheap bike first. I've seen some used bikes from early 2000s in the small displacement range for about a grand in the area.

W1GUH
07-26-2011, 04:38 PM
"I'd upgrade the electrical system to something heavy duty so I could run a big electric heater. "
And a BA AM rig.

KG4CGC
07-26-2011, 04:44 PM
nO RIGS. mIGHT AS WELL SAY "hERE, HELP YOURSELF TO A FREE RADIO."
And say it with cap lock failure.

KB3LAZ
07-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Well I've been considering something on down the road that's easy to work on. That would be the VW Beetle years 70 - 74. Prefer a Super Beetle due to the front suspension. I tore 2 of them apart in the mid 80s with minimal tools and everything is pretty straight forward. The trick is that you simply don't rev them past 4500, 6000 tops unless you like tearing the case apart weekly. They were tough cars and could take some abuse but keep your foot off the high revs. I'd upgrade the electrical system to something heavy duty so I could run a big electric heater.

Looking at getting a cheap bike first. I've seen some used bikes from early 2000s in the small displacement range for about a grand in the area.

Im looking at a new bike but not till next summer. There may be a promotion in my future I should know in about two weeks. =) Time to get rid of the Vulcan and get what I want. xD

N2NH
07-28-2011, 04:51 AM

Looks like something ZZ Top would drive. ;)

Now, for the Goth who wants to get there in style:

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/8246/hearse7kb.jpg

68 Caddy Fleetwood Hearse. The Last Word in luxury. Then there was Harold's jag...

http://www.stupidvehicles.com/images/2009/feb/hearse.jpg

...and no, I don't think it's stupid, I think it's way cool.

W1GUH
07-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Cadaverlacs!