PDA

View Full Version : Verizon ends ftp access to your web space

ad4mg
07-23-2011, 10:08 AM
In their ongoing effort to provide less for more, Verizon sent me the following email:

Dear Verizon Internet User:

As part of our ongoing enhancements to the online customer experience, Verizon continues to ensure security for our Internet customers. As a result of this ongoing effort, Verizon Online is making modifications to the Internet access provided to you. These modifications will occur on August 21, 2011. For security reasons, Verizon will no longer allow users to FTP their HTML files to the personal web site Verizon offers.

Verizon recommends that current FTP users download their files prior to August 21, 2011 to prevent any data loss.

If you still wish to have a Verizon website, please go to our site builder tool available with Personal Webspace which can be found under My Services in My Verizon at:

http://my.verizon.com/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pws_manageWebSpace#wlp_pws_manageWebSpa ce

Remember, after August 21, 2011, you will not be able to use FTP for uploading your files.

Thanks for being a valued Verizon Online customer. We encourage you to act now to protect your private information.

Sincerely,
Verizon Online

One other option here ... Comcast. Typical corporate solution ... faced with a difficult problem, run away from it. Bonus points for taking something away from a working man. Sounds pretty familiar these days, eh?

N2CHX
07-23-2011, 10:16 AM
If you can't FTP, how on earth are you supposed to upload anything? Not that I use that free webspace they give away anyway, but just wondering.

W4GPL
07-23-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm with Verizon on this.. FTP is an obsolete insecure protocol that should have been put to bed with the likes of telnet over 10 years ago.

There are plenty of better options like SFTP/SCP, and even web based drag and drop solutions. I only grant FTP access to those who demand it.

N2CHX
07-23-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm with Verizon on this.. FTP is an obsolete insecure protocol that should have been put to bed with the likes of telnet over 10 years ago.

There are plenty of better options like SFTP/SCP, and even web based drag and drop solutions. I only grant FTP access to those who demand it.

Obviously I'm behind the times.

W4GPL
07-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Plain text passwords, very unfriendly to NAT (typically requires some sort of connection tracking).. slow, no built in data integrity checks..

ad4mg
07-23-2011, 11:26 AM

Can't disagree. SFTP is a standard solution I can utilize easily. Their shitty little web building utility, however, is totally useless. It will upload only what is linked to in the html file. I don't use that space for a web page - I use it to store files that I link to elsewhere. Had they offered SFTP, I wouldn't have uttered a peep.

suddenseer
07-23-2011, 11:59 AM
telnet was "put to bed? That was one of my first net experiences. I am old, and behind the times. Anyone use Fortran anymore?

n2ize
07-23-2011, 02:42 PM
They paltry (floppy drives worth) bit of "web space" that Verizon offers is hardly enough for anything.I once tried to host a small photo album on it and it ran out of space. Now they are telling me that I can only access it with some paltry service they are offering so, to heck with it. FTP might be obsolete crap but it worked good enough for uploading an occaisional file. The fact is that Vz is not replacing it with anything worthwhile. In the future if I need to host files I'll put them on my own server.

Now I am waiting for them to send a message informing me of the "enhancement" that POP3 access to my mail is no longer available. Just a matter of time.

N1LAF
07-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Portable Filezilla supports SFTP as well as FTP

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/filezilla_portable

ad4mg
07-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Portable Filezilla supports SFTP as well as FTP

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/filezilla_portable

And neither will work on accessing Verizon personal web space. No big deal, it's only like 30M, but I didn't receive any reduction in the fees I'm being charged for the reduced service.

I'm looking at Cavalier DSL, but their service around here doesn't get very good feedback. I'd rather go back to dial-up than deal with the communists at Comcast.

Verizon has really put themselves on my short list. They contacted me 3 years ago about signing up for FIOS. I'm still waiting.

N8YX
07-26-2011, 05:23 PM
They've also chokied off unlimited 'net data limits in their smart-phone plans. Be nice to see some competition really put it to them...

n2ize
07-28-2011, 06:03 PM
it would be nice to get some real competition to force these companies to open up some bandwidth. Around here we got Optimum and FiOS competing. Optimum has tried every trick in the book to try and get me to switch from FiOS to Optimum, including telling me that FiOS is an electrical hazard. They even sent a pretty Eastern European girl to my door to seduce me into changing from FiOS to Optimum. FiOS wants to entice me into going for their Triple Play package, TV, Phone and Internet speeds of 15 down/5 up. What ?? I am already getting 20 down, why would I want to decrease my bandwidth ? And cmon folks, this is supposed to be fibre optics, you should be providing much more bandwidth to begin with.

W1GUH
07-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Competition? :rofl:

It's all a big trust (Where's TR when you really need him?) They're all gonna do the same thing. After all, that's what dereg is all about.

kb2vxa
07-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Like everything else you pay more for less, all "competitive" means is they all do the same. Antitrust was a mistake, now there is no trust.

This message brought to you by your not so friendly neighborhood grumpy old bastid.

W1GUH
07-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Yea, the only "competition" is who can take the most money from us the fastest.