PDA

View Full Version : Borders bust...

W3MIV
07-22-2011, 06:18 AM
Borders and Waldenbooks are closing permanently, possibly at the end of this month. Nobody bid on recovery, hence it is liquidation.

KC2UGV
07-22-2011, 06:23 AM
You know, I liked both the Waldenbooks and Borders stores. Problem was, I could never find one. There used to be one in a local mall, and I went there a lot, then they closed it.

Some serious mismanagement there, somehow.

W3WN
07-22-2011, 07:44 AM
Some mismanagement, but primarily an inability to react swiftly enough to changing tastes.

Pity.

WØTKX
07-22-2011, 09:08 AM
I keep looking at the Kindle.

Now what the hell am I gonna do with all my
Science Fiction novels I already have.

Start a book store? :shifty:

KG4CGC
07-22-2011, 09:43 AM
It was a great place to hang out before going home and ordering books off Amazon.

W5RB
07-22-2011, 09:46 AM
I keep looking at the Kindle.

Now what the hell am I gonna do with all my
Science Fiction novels I already have.

Start a book store? :shifty:

Got any Harlan Ellison ?

W3WN
07-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Got any Harlan Ellison ?The loud, tiny God of Thunder?

Way back when I was younger and still active in SciFi Fandom, back in the very early 80's, a friend told a story about he and part of the local group running into Ellison at a con (one of the Baltimore ones, IIRC). One of the girls (who was dressed for the costume competition... think Red Sonja from the comic book chain-mail period, only with dirty blond hair, a much bigger bust and much less chain mail) got into a big argument with Ellison, causing him to lose his temper and shout "You're bug f*ck*d, you know that? You're bug f*ck*d!"

Where upon my friend calmly replied: "I am not a bug!"

Said friend was then running for his life, as he was chased across the room by Ellison.

kc7jty
07-22-2011, 03:01 PM
More victims of the www.

W3MIV
07-22-2011, 03:05 PM
I love my Kindle.

n2ize
07-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Books are obsolete.

W3MIV
07-23-2011, 05:30 AM
Books are obsolete.

Once Bachmann is elected, they will become another fuel source.

W1GUH
07-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Yea, books are the tools of the enemies of the state. I say good riddance....imagine, regular people having convenient access to those horrid instruments of truth and knowledge?

OK...seriously....

Too much debt, unbridled expansion, etc. ....

Probably the start of something....there are many stores that followed that business model -- they gonna follow suit?

Link (http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/another-retailer-bites-dust-borders-doomed-amazon-deal-163606690.html)

I really miss Walden Books.

w3bny
07-25-2011, 12:19 PM
I went to the closeout sale saturday....O-M-F-G What a mad house. Folks bitching about how they cant use a check...says so on the door. NO FOOKING CHECKS! And why the book they have is only 10% off when it says 40% on the door...uh...actually it says "savings UP TO40% off". Check out lines going around the store. All the good stuff like reference and tech is only 10% off. Periodicals were 40% Bedlam....sheer unfilter barrel proof BEDLAM!

KG4CGC
07-25-2011, 12:29 PM
I went to the closeout sale saturday....O-M-F-G What a mad house. Folks bitching about how they cant use a check...says so on the door. NO FOOKING CHECKS! And why the book they have is only 10% off when it says 40% on the door...uh...actually it says "savings UP TO40% off". Check out lines going around the store. All the good stuff like reference and tech is only 10% off. Periodicals were 40% Bedlam....sheer unfilter barrel proof BEDLAM!
Sound like a good opportunity to forward and encourage tomfoolery and shenanigans. Like telling the ones bitching to shut the fuck up and get the hell out of the store if they don't want to buy because you know your rights and by golly, you just don't have time for fucking morons who are buying books but clearly can't read what it says on the freakin door!

NQ6U
07-25-2011, 12:31 PM
by golly, you just don't have time for fucking morons who are buying books but clearly can't read what it says on the freakin door!

"What's the point of buying books if you can't read?"

w3bny
07-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Why joo buy dat...yo azz kaint reed....merceh....oh hang on my cell phone.

N8YX
I keep looking at the Kindle. Now what the hell am I gonna do with all my Science Fiction novels I already have. Start a book store? :shifty:Ship 'em my way.

KC2UGV

Sounds like the bicycle auction I went to this weekend: Cash only, all sales are final, sold as-is.

"Do these have a warranty?"
"Do you take money orders?"
"What do you mean I can't bring it back? The handlebars are all bent!"

FOOKING MORANS!

NQ6U
07-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Once Bachmann is elected, they will become another fuel source.

No, everything will be re-pulped and turned into Bibles. After all, that's the only book anyone needs to read. Right?

W3WN
07-25-2011, 01:00 PM
No, everything will be re-pulped and turned into Bibles. After all, that's the only book anyone needs to read. Right?What makes you think she's read it?

...just because she says so doesn't make it so...

KG4CGC
07-25-2011, 01:07 PM
What makes you think she's read it?

...just because she says so doesn't make it so...Good point. She has direct 2 way conversations with GOD. Said so herself. If she is so tight with GOD, why does he give her crippling migraines?

NQ6U
07-25-2011, 01:44 PM
What makes you think she's read it?

...just because she says so doesn't make it so...

Oh, I know. But it doesn't matter if she's read it, only that you do.

W5RB
07-25-2011, 01:48 PM
No need to read all that .I got the Cliff Notes from Jimmy Swaggart.

W1GUH
07-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Good point. She has direct 2 way conversations with GOD. Said so herself. If she is so tight with GOD, why does he give her crippling migraines?

Can't imagine her "tight" with anything!

K7SGJ
07-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Can't imagine her "tight" with anything!

Knees?