PDA

View Full Version : A few Darwin candidates...

W1GUH
07-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Authorities: 3 swept over waterfall presumed dead (http://news.yahoo.com/authorities-3-swept-over-waterfall-presumed-dead-180056413.html)

At first he saw a man on the far side of a safety railing next to the 317-foot (100-meter) falls holding a screaming girl while another young girl took their photograph.

Two others in their party then crossed the barricade to pose for photos on a rock 50 feet (15 meters) upstream from the falls. He said the woman on the rock slipped and the man fell in trying to reach her. Another woman also fell in trying to stop them.

kc7jty
07-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Some problems correct themselves without the intervention of governments or social programs.

PA5COR
07-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Safety railing.
Didn't do them much good.
But then you have to grasp where the object is for.

W3WN
07-20-2011, 03:24 PM
"Grasp" is the key word there.

The sad part is the screaming girl who was being held. SHE knew she didn't belong there. Sounds like she wasn't one of the victims, but she easily could have been thanks to SOMEONE ELSE'S stupidity.

NQ6U
07-20-2011, 03:37 PM
It got them before they were able to reproduce, too. Perfect example of natural selection in action.

W1GUH
07-21-2011, 08:45 AM
The article used the expression, "swept over."

'Way back when I was watching a a travelogue by Stan Midgeley (or it could have been Dennis Glen Cooper),

Time out....you probably wonder who those two dudes were. They were solo free-lance cinematographers who filmed awesome scenery and did outstanding narration. Stan Midgeley did a lot of his travel by bicycle & he did lots of gag shots like empty shoes dancing to his harmonica, etc. They were shown regularly on TV in Detroit, but I don't think there were a lot of showings elsewhere. Neither has much of a web presence.

OK...so in one of those travelogues, the narrator made a point, during a shot from the top of a waterfall, of warning the viewer that you CAN get swept over. Something about the air currents or maybe the spray. At the same time he explained that the shot that looked like he was standing right next to the top of the falls wasn't what it appeard. He was well back and safe. I was probably about 6 or 7 at the time. Our family vacations for the next 3 years included lot of waterfall viewings in the UP of MI and back then there was no pretection, anywhere, around waterfalls. I stood well away from the top!

Guess those people weren't aware of the phenomenon?

KG4CGC
07-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Speaking of Darwin, the batshit crazy set is at it again as the Theory of Evolution is up for a vote again in states like Texas and Kansas. When you click on the link, take a moment to reflect on this woman's face and how the photographer captured her inner batshit.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/21/national/main20081358.shtml

Evolution is just too scary and confusing. Uncle daddy, tell me the story again of how grandpa brother and granny cousin started the world.
(http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/21/national/main20081358.shtml)

W1GUH
07-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Evolution and creation can coexist together very naturally and logically. But then, we wouldn't have these zoos to amuse us.

KG4CGC
07-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Evolution and creation can coexist together very naturally and logically. But then, we wouldn't have these zoos to amuse us.I said the same thing to people who want to change my mind. Last time this happened I was verbally attacked the next day, as the person with which whom I had the discussion, told his peers in religion and they told him what to say to me AND how to say it, from a position of anger and disgust.

I've seen some supernatural things (just stick with me on this for now) and the mechanics are not as specific as the religious groups would like you to believe. Things like Intelligent Design obscures the subject (as it is intended to do) and is the result of bringing lawyers into religion for the sake of pushing the belief as if one where in court pleading their case to a jury. In cases like this, Religion IS Politics as it is the idea of controlling people and is completely separated from what it is intended to represent. Religion is the bastardization of the Spirit and Spirituality as an intended means to control others out of fear. After all these years of Religion in the fabric of people's daily lives, we get things like Republican Jesus. In order for the Church and State to exist together as one, the lies of Religion must grow bigger and grander and the lies of Politics become the accepted norm. Jading the public to accept it as just the way things are done.

ki4itv
07-21-2011, 10:42 AM
When you click on the link, take a moment to reflect on this woman's face and how the photographer captured her inner batshit.

I'm thinkin' fire in her belly.

Well, who in their right mind can pit a natural selection type, survival of the fittest, social and economic platform directly against a disbelief in evolution without at least cracking a smile?

KG4CGC
07-21-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm thinkin' fire in her belly.

Well, who in their right mind can pit a natural selection type, survival of the fittest, social and economic platform directly against a disbelief in evolution without at least cracking a smile?Kind of like, they're blowing themselves out of their own proverbial water.

W1GUH
07-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I said the same thing to people who want to change my mind. Last time this happened I was verbally attacked the next day, as the person with which whom I had the discussion, told his peers in religion and they told him what to say to me AND how to say it, from a position of anger and disgust.

I've seen some supernatural things (just stick with me on this for now) and the mechanics are not as specific as the religious groups would like you to believe. Things like Intelligent Design obscures the subject (as it is intended to do) and is the result of bringing lawyers into religion for the sake of pushing the belief as if one where in court pleading their case to a jury. In cases like this, Religion IS Politics as it is the idea of controlling people and is completely separated from what it is intended to represent. Religion is the bastardization of the Spirit and Spirituality as an intended means to control others out of fear. After all these years of Religion in the fabric of people's daily lives, we get things like Republican Jesus. In order for the Church and State to exist together as one, the lies of Religion must grow bigger and grander and the lies of Politics become the accepted norm. Jading the public to accept it as just the way things are done.

GMTA. Pour yourself a drink...you deserve it after that. :agree::cheers:

KG4CGC
07-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Just noticed I used ''where'' in place of ''were.'' I need to screen that stuff out better.

W1GUH
07-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Well, that changes everything. I take back the drink. How could you mis-lead us that way? (Just kiddin', of course).

But, in reading through to find the typo, I DID notice:

as the person with which whom I had the discussion,

Now THERE's some creative grammar. Actually almost makes sense!

KG4CGC
07-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Well, that changes everything. I take back the drink. How could you mis-lead us that way? (Just kiddin', of course).

But, in reading through to find the typo, I DID notice:

Now THERE's some creative grammar. Actually almost makes sense!Let's wait and see what Albi says. It's a service that he provides to us free of charge.

W3WN
07-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Evolution and creation can coexist together very naturally and logically. But then, we wouldn't have these zoos to amuse us.No kidding. But it makes a convenient (and bogus) hot topic for some preacher type to stir the troops up.

W1GUH
07-21-2011, 12:46 PM
And you can find "preacher types" on both sides of the creation/evolution thing.

NQ6U
07-21-2011, 01:45 PM
There's not much I'll say in favor of the Roman Catholic church but I will give them this much: when I was attending catechism classes as a kid in the late Fifties and early Sixties, the nuns repeatedly told me that the bible was often allegorical and that I shouldn't take everything in it literally, including the Adam and Eve myth.

KG4CGC
07-21-2011, 01:59 PM
There's not much I'll say in favor of the Roman Catholic church but I will give them this much: when I was attending catechism classes as a kid in the late Fifties and early Sixties, the nuns repeatedly told me that the bible was often allegorical and that I shouldn't take everything in it literally, including the Adam and Eve myth.Like the Jesus Lion in Narnia. The fundies around here loved that movie and even went as far as to use it as a slam against Harry Potter.

W1GUH
07-21-2011, 02:10 PM
There's not much I'll say in favor of the Roman Catholic church but I will give them this much: when I was attending catechism classes as a kid in the late Fifties and early Sixties, the nuns repeatedly told me that the bible was often allegorical and that I shouldn't take everything in it literally, including the Adam and Eve myth.

Sounds very much like the church/parish I grew up in. It bore no relation whatsoever with the church that seems to be in the news. Pretty much good, intelligent people doing a very good, practical job.

KG4CGC
07-21-2011, 09:05 PM
I suppose the Catholic church I grew up in was OK. I left at 15. In CYO class (that's where they put all high school age kids together in one big class) they tried to explain Dogma. Basically they just said that it is what it is. Dogma is dogma. Just the way things are.

Over the last 32 years though, with the advance of the Conservative Movement, even the church I went to has become more repressive. The priests not so much as some of the congregation. During the late 90s, when the town and city councils were trying to pass anti gay legislation, the priest was trying to preach that we should just accept each other when an angry parishioner stood up and yelled, "So what are you saying? That homosexuals are going to Heaven and normal people are going to Hell?" Isolated incident as most parishioners do not make outbursts during a sermon. Most priests are gay. Did ya know that?