PDA

View Full Version : Help with Tempo/Uniden 2020

nm8d
07-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi Fellow Hams,
I'm new to The island, actually just heard about it on a thread in 1 of the other Ham sites.
Glad to be here, Well anyway got a uniden 2020 last week vfo did work now it doesnt.
Bandswitch and associated linkage seems to be in order, display shows proper Freq for bandswitch setting.
Any Ideas? As i said vfo was working then just stopped.
BTW i get 150 w out to a dummy load but i have no idea what freq its on.

Thanks for reading and any info.
Michael
nm8d

NQ6U
07-16-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm not really familiar with that rig but it has a belt-driven mechanical frequency read out, right? I'd suggest pulling the cover off and checking the belt first off.

BTW, Welcome to the Island! Barkeep, give this ham the drink of his choice and put it on my tab.

N8YX
07-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Internal VFO or external?

The 2020 was unique in that it employs a multi-loop synthesizer and tunes in 100KHz segments, each range being switched.

Start with the simple things: First, a service manual. Second: Are all the loops in the synthesizer locked?

NQ6U
07-16-2011, 07:39 PM
I have unlimited access to mods.dk right now so I downloaded a PDF the manual and some alignment info for the 2020. If you'd like them, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send them along along to you.

nm8d
07-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Hi,
A multi loop synthesizer?? what the heck is that , lol, im a new electronics Ham
Give me Phase lock loop , and microcontrollers,
This will be my first boatanchor
I'm new here, will have to learn to PM
Heres my email.
Yea sure that would be a great help!!

Thanks in advance
Michael

nm8d at arrl dot net

NQ6U
07-17-2011, 01:52 AM
Manuals should be in your email IN box.

PMs are easy: First, find a post of the person you want to send a PM to and click on his user ID in the upper left of the post. A menu will pop up; select the the "Private Message" option. The rest will be self-explanatory

w2amr
07-17-2011, 04:01 AM
Hi,
A multi loop synthesizer?? what the heck is that , lol, im a new electronics Ham
Give me Phase lock loop , and microcontrollers,
This will be my first boatanchor
I'm new here, will have to learn to PM
Heres my email.
Yea sure that would be a great help!!

Thanks in advance
Michael

nm8d at arrl dot net
I don't think I have ever seen one of those before. Pretty slick looking, but hardly a boat anchor. Hope you get it working. And welcome to the Island.

N8YX
07-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Got a chance to look at the schematics of the unit (thanks Carl!).

Does the "INT" LED illuminate when the VFO selector is set to "internal"?

If so, do you have a way to look at the VFO's output (pin 5 of J701?) Any signal?

Also check Pin 3 of the same connector - you should see 6VDC there when the VFO selector is set to "internal". Absence of voltage means the VFO won't operate.