PDA

View Full Version : Elsewhere in Idaho

W1GUH
07-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Truck spills 14 million bees on Idaho highway (http://news.yahoo.com/truck-spills-14-million-bees-idaho-highway-142147287.html)

The comments are pretty good.

kc7jty
07-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Sweet.
They are Christian/Republican bees if they stay in I-dee-hoe.

ki4itv
07-13-2011, 05:29 PM
That must be the guy who stole all our bees.
I haven't seen a honeybee around here in over two years. no chit.

ad4mg
07-13-2011, 06:22 PM
No kidding. I did have a small nest of brown bees behind the garage, under a tower base I had leaning on the wall. Wasn't sure if they were the African variety, so I pretty well steered clear of them. Even those guys are gone now. All I have now are these idiot wood boring bumble bees that hover in front of your face, waiting for you to swat them into the next time zone, and zillions of yellow jackets. They (the bumble bees) remind me of Governor Walker ...

KG4CGC
07-13-2011, 06:27 PM
We have some kind of hybrids flying around that look like skinny stealth bumble bees. After they've done their jobs pollenating, the hover over the ground in droves and die.

W2NAP
07-13-2011, 06:47 PM

ive seen some today. its been awhile since i seen any around here.

W2NAP
07-13-2011, 06:48 PM
No kidding. I did have a small nest of brown bees behind the garage, under a tower base I had leaning on the wall. Wasn't sure if they were the African variety, so I pretty well steered clear of them. Even those guys are gone now. All I have now are these idiot wood boring bumble bees that hover in front of your face, waiting for you to swat them into the next time zone, and zillions of yellow jackets. They (the bumble bees) remind me of Governor Walker ...

id be suprised if they were the 'killer bees" but the yellow jackets kill them all with fire

KG4CGC
07-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Kill fire ants with fire, win a dead pile of dirt.

W1GUH
07-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Best thing for flying, stinging insects is hair spray. One quick spritz coats their wings and they can't fly. Then you can pick them up and get back at them for all the times you've gotten stung! Or not....if you're feeling humane.

But not for honey bees. They're highly useful, hardly ever dangerous, and their numbers are dwindling.

Isn't it going to be fun when they're gone & we have massive crop failure across the board?

Or mabye just hire bajillions of illegal...er..."undocumented" aliens to pollinate all those plants.

w3bny
07-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Ive got bumble and honey. Very well behaved lot too i may add. I talk to tell them I need to water so move over and they do. Or scram i need to dust...no stinging or anything for years so far.

Or mabye just hire bajillions of illegal...er..."undocumented" aliens to pollinate all those plants.

Oh yeah...another reason for someone to bitch about how we took der jorbs...

kc7jty
07-15-2011, 03:13 AM
Truck spills 14 million bees on Idaho highway (http://news.yahoo.com/truck-spills-14-million-bees-idaho-highway-142147287.html)

That's 84 million bee's knees.

buzz off

VK3ZL
07-15-2011, 04:14 AM
I keep a couple of hives in the gardens...They are great friendly little guys and don't bother me when I pinch a few bottles of honey..

Bob..VK3ZL..

W1GUH
07-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Bee vomit

KG4CGC
07-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Bee vomitIs delicious medicine.

W1GUH
07-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Sure is. Love honey so much I can even think "bee vomit" while I eat it and not be affected. Good frequin' stuff!

kc7jty
07-16-2011, 01:40 AM
Bet you're smokin 'em Bob.

KG4CGC
07-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Ants attacked my bee vomit.

kc7jty
07-16-2011, 08:04 PM
The barfing thorax.

ad4mg
07-17-2011, 06:07 AM
WWIII here with yellow jackets yesterday. Bastids lit my ass up righteously twice while I was mowing the dog pen (a 1/2 acre fenced portion of my back yard) before I found their nest. It took a 12-pack to muster the courage do it, but at 10:30 last night, equipped with a flashlight covered with red cellophane, I emptied two cans of wasp & hornet fogger on their asses, then poured gasoline down in the nest. No fire needed, the gas alone kills 'em nicely.

If I was successful, I'll try to get a picture of the corpses. There were dozens of them above ground.

Damn, those sunsofbitches are aggressive!

KG4CGC
07-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Burned about 10k of them out of a RR tie back in '03. It was hell. Got swarmed while cutting grass. Ran like hell, left the mower running. If I had a better mind when it happened I would have parked the mower over the hole. The mower ran for 2 hours while those bastards swarmed the yard until dusk.
tierra del extremo

W2NAP
07-18-2011, 12:33 AM
WWIII here with yellow jackets yesterday. Bastids lit my ass up righteously twice while I was mowing the dog pen (a 1/2 acre fenced portion of my back yard) before I found their nest. It took a 12-pack to muster the courage do it, but at 10:30 last night, equipped with a flashlight covered with red cellophane, I emptied two cans of wasp & hornet fogger on their asses, then poured gasoline down in the nest. No fire needed, the gas alone kills 'em nicely.

If I was successful, I'll try to get a picture of the corpses. There were dozens of them above ground.

idk which would be worse, pissing off the yellow jackets or "killer" bees

W1GUH
07-18-2011, 07:03 AM

Please give the hair spray thing a try. It's very effective as a defensive weapon -- knocks 'em on the ground instantly. And depending on how "green" you want or don't want to be....seems hair spray is a lot better for the environment if only because you'll need so much less. Don't think it seeps into the ground like the poison in insecticide.

ki4itv
07-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Once can of Aqua Net and a Bic lighter. Instant flame thrower.

W1GUH
07-18-2011, 06:54 PM
That's fun, but unnecessary where flying, stinging insects are involved.