PDA

View Full Version : Got the long-sought-after G-76

W1GUH
07-10-2011, 01:45 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~w2agn/g76.jpg

Found one at Sussex this morning. Think I'm good to go, the DC-4 looks compatible so soon's I get that re-capped (got the caps today, too), I can have plated modulated AM in the car. Yippee!!!

Besides that, the hamfest was super and very large. Because I was camping out at the site, I wound up being a vendor, and, as I've heard often, it's worth paying the extra to be a vendor (usually doesn't matter if you've got something to sell or not) to get the goodies that go before the buyers can get in. That's how I got the G-76. As it turns out, I had something to sell, the MN-7 I got with the TR-7/RV-7 last year. The seller threw in the tuner for free & it's been taking up space in my back seat ever since. That sold FAST!!! I hadn't even put it down yet and some guy walking by noticed it, looked at it while I held it, and offered my $50.00, just what I was looking for. Also got rid of some junk I had -- well, not exactly junk, but junk to me.

Also, yesterday the bands were wide open to Europe (15, 20, 40, and 80) for the contest, whatever it was. Worked a bunch of Europe from the car.

KG4CGC
07-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Congrats on a fine old piece of radio history!

W1GUH
07-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Been reading the reviews -- people love 'em. Took me 20 years to find one.

KG4CGC
07-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Been reading the reviews -- people love 'em. Took me 20 years to find one.I always wanted a mini bike or motorized bicycle when I was a child. That was about 1972. In 2007 I got a moped. LOL!
My parents thought I'd kill myself going 25 mph on a mini bike but they didn't realize that i often hit 35 mph on my bicycle.
I did have a National NC-33 when I was 10 though. My parents though my interest in radio was the bane of their existence though. If I couldn't do it for zero dollars without bringing any junk home then I would get screamed at.

W1GUH
07-10-2011, 05:53 PM
"If I couldn't do it for zero dollars without bringing any junk home then I would get screamed at. "

My first years of hamming was almost as bad, but I didn't get screamed at for bringing junk home. I did have to really make do with radios that I'd outgrown for longer than I wanted to, though. My saving grace was the Boy Scouts. Mom really, really wanted me to get that "E" award and when it was pretty obvious that it was going to happen the purse strings were loosened and radios became a bribe to get to the next level -- and some of them were very difficult.

I think it started when the radio merit badge counselor OK'ed a modulator as the build project. They actually spring (Gasp!) about $12 for the UTC S-12.

W2NAP
07-10-2011, 06:49 PM
well done.

NQ6U
07-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Nice!

Old radios are great. While I'll never give up my rice box, the analogy I like to use is this: my Icom is like a Toyota—it's my reliable daily driver, a good performer and the one I use to get things done but it's kind of dull. The Drake Twins are like the '57 Chevy I keep in the garage to take out for on the weekends. Or will, once I get them on the air. I'm still in the cleaning stage at the moment.

W1GUH
07-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Nice!

Old radios are great. While I'll never give up my rice box, the analogy I like to use is this: my Icom is like a Toyota—it's my reliable daily driver, a good performer and the one I use to get things done but it's kind of dull. The Drake Twins are like the '57 Chevy I keep in the garage to take out for on the weekends. Or will, once I get them on the air. I'm still in the cleaning stage at the moment.

GMTA!

N8YX
07-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Good find.

One of my Novice station rigs was a GSB-100, which was paired with an HQ-100...and later, a '180. Neat for 80-40-20M CW. Not so neat for anything else but I had fun with 'em.

w2amr
07-19-2011, 04:01 AM
Nice find Paul.

W1GUH
07-20-2011, 07:45 AM
AND........Irb had one in his bus!!!!

Now all I gotta get is a few DX-100's and S-40's plus a desk Kilowatt...then start making maple syrup and I'll be just like him. That'd be cool. :bbh::-D

w2amr
07-20-2011, 12:10 PM
AND........Irb had one in his bus!!!!

Now all I gotta get is a few DX-100's and S-40's plus a desk Kilowatt...then start making maple syrup and I'll be just like him. That'd be cool. :bbh::-D
Black robed gangsters?
Jesus and Jefferson?
Listening on the outside speaker?
CQ America?

Lots of luck with that.:snicker:

W1GUH
07-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Yea, and I forget the sound of wind chimes and, of course, Ethan.

But I can always go to the bank, where there is "no sounder deposit!"

w2amr
07-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Yea, and I forget the sound of wind chimes and, of course, Ethan.

I remember when he held that dogs head in a bucket till it drowned. I was so pissed at him for that.

n2ize
07-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Nice!

nah... You park the ricebox in the garage and take it out only on occaisional weekends. You put the oldies on the road everyday ;)

n2ize
07-21-2011, 11:52 PM
I remember when he held that dogs head in a bucket till it drowned. I was so pissed at him for that.

3 things that really turned me off about Irb

1) His complete and total stubbornness.
2) His drowning of his dog Ethan.
3) His condemnation of those who died on 911.

If his dog was so sick it had to be euthanised couldn't he have chosen a more humane way of going about it ?

n2ize
07-21-2011, 11:55 PM
Oh and yeah, those are nice rigs.

w2amr
07-30-2011, 07:48 AM
3 things that really turned me off about Irb

1) His complete and total stubbornness.
2) His drowning of his dog Ethan.
3) His condemnation of those who died on 911.

If his dog was so sick it had to be euthanised couldn't he have chosen a more humane way of going about it ?
I don't think he believed in doctors. Which in the end probably lead to his demise