PDA

View Full Version : I cheated on my vegan lifestyle tonight....

suddenseer
07-09-2011, 05:50 PM
...at least it feels like it. I went vegan about 6 weeks ago. During the week, I have 6-8 servings of raw veggies, and fruits, nuts, and grains like bulgar wheat daily. During the weekends, I reward my good behavior with some processed, and lightly processed vegan foods.

Tonight, I had Tofurky brand Italian sausages (2) with Ragu brand garden sauce, Ezekiel bread (2 slices), and Ezekiel Bread Penne Pasta (4 oz), can of sweet peas, 3 fresh mushrooms, Nature Balance dairy free buttery spread, Tofutti mozzarella cheese slices, extra virgin olive oil. garlic salt. 2 oz of a local vegan Parmesan cheese ground.

Ezekiel Bread products are made from live spouts, and taste very good, and have a very low glycemic number, so are diabetic friendly. They are also 100% nutritionally complete, so in theory one could live off them, and water indefinitely

Cut up the sausages into half inch sections, and brown in a skillet with some extra virgin olive oil. Stir-in Ragu sauce. throw in 3 diced fresh mushrooms, bring to light boil on medium heat.

melt a tablespoon of Nature Balance in the microwave for 45 seconds. Spread the melted nature Balance on two slices of Ezekiel bread on a baking sheet. Sprinkle a pinch of garlic salt on each slice. Pre-heat oven to 400 degF. Bake for 10 minutes, or when outer bread is hard. Shut off oven, switch to low broil. Place a slice of Tofutii Parmesan cheese on each slice, and broil until melted.

Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add some extra virgin olive oil, and a sprinkle of sea salt bring to rolling boil. Add 4 oz of Ezekiel Bread Penne pasta. Keep stirring pasta for 4-5 minutes until tender. This pasta is fully cooked much faster than wheat based pasta. the water will turn brown. Drain the pasta through a colander, or screen. add cold water, and drain again. Serve immediately. Pour on the Italian sausage/Ragu sauce/mushroom mixture.

heat a drained can of sweet peas in a bowl with one tablespoon of Nature Balance spread in the microwave.

Enjoy.

I found that the package "one serving" was two servings for me. So this made 3 servings for me. YMMV.
This meal offers about 500 calories. 40 grams of low glycemic carbs. 8 grams of poly unsaturated fat 4 grams of saturated fat, 5 frams of mono saturated fat, and 40 grams of protein. Most of the protein is complete. I was totally full in 20 minutes, and could not finish it.

I felt like I was cheating. :twisted:

So far, I have dropped 11% of the body weight. I am off 2 medications, 4 to go. I sleep like a baby at night. My pain level is down 80%.
The rash on my face has disappeared. I feel a helluva lot better than 6 weeks ago. I get to eat easy to make good tasting foods like this. Vegan is fun!!!!!!

Edit:
I forgot to mention, I have been a type II diabetic for 6 years now. My last trip to the doc my A1C check was 7.0. That is the highest number considered as marginal control. I checked my blood glucose 2.5 hours after that HUGE meal, it read 118. That is above normal for a non-diabetic, but is wonderful for a diabetic after eating. My goal is to be one of those peoplewho reversed type II diabetes with proper nutrition.

ki4itv
07-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Congrats Tim!
I couldn't do it. Being Vegan is hard to do right and actually get everything you need. I have two close vegan friends and have watched in awe as they have become encyclopedias of nutritional information. It seems like planning and acquiring suitable foodstuffs has become a considerable time-sink for both of them, even though they enjoy it.
I hardly have the self control for such an endeavor...just have to stick with cutting out the drive-thru junk for me.

Sounds like it's working for you! That's cool.:)

NA4BH
07-09-2011, 06:16 PM

n2ize
07-09-2011, 10:31 PM
I am a carnivore.

N2NH
07-10-2011, 01:12 AM
Hello.

I like tacos.

suddenseer
07-10-2011, 10:15 AM
I am a carnivore.I bet you're an omnivore. Hah, tastes like chicken.

suddenseer
07-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Hello.

I like tacos.Can you eat tacos, and pilot your bell at the same time?

ki4itv
07-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Ah! Taco Bell

W3MIV
07-10-2011, 11:32 AM
...tastes like chicken.

To quote Ulysses Grant (who detested fowl): "Man was not intended to eat anything that goes about on two legs."

KC9ECI
07-10-2011, 06:04 PM
I could get on board with the vegan diet if I didn't have such a severe addiction to steaks.

NQ6U
07-10-2011, 06:54 PM
To quote Ulysses Grant: "Man was not intended to eat anything that goes about on two legs."

Now we know why Mrs. Grant left him.

KB3LAZ
07-11-2011, 04:45 AM
To quote Ulysses Grant (who detested fowl): "Man was not intended to eat anything that goes about on two legs."

Does that mean John cant eat tacos anymore?

KB3LAZ
07-11-2011, 04:46 AM
I could get on board with the vegan diet if I didn't have such a severe addiction to steaks.

Meh, it would be the no dairy that would get me.

W3WN
07-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Way to go Tim.

You give me hope. My A1C was 6.5 last checkup, and I've dropped about 30 pounds. Shocked the doc, he didn't believe I could make as many drastic adjustments as I did. I'm hoping to start seeing the meds cut down at the next checkup in about 2 months.

I won't go vegan, but my red meat has been cut way back, and I stick pretty much to chicken -- broiled, baked, or grilled, rarely fried. I may miss the taste (oh boy do I miss the taste) but so it goes.

w3bny
07-11-2011, 01:15 PM
When I was stationed in Pearl Harbor, I went Lacto-Ovo for oh....about two years. Felt great, doing century rides every weekend and 40 miles at lunch on weekdays. Sure still drank but its all grain or grape related so no problemo! Just one day, I said "I want a double whopper with cheese...and onions...and a large fry" Gawd it smelled wonderful...gawd it tasted wonderful...20 minutes later....HURRRKKKK...lawd help meh...HURRRHHHKKKKK...Kill me...RAAALLLPH.... Felt like crap for a week. So for two days basically detoxed again on brown rice, plain yogurt and green tea. It took six months to take eating skinless grilled white meat parts again and another two to eat very lean steakies. So if you go Vegan, beware about trying to come back for real!

W1GUH
07-12-2011, 09:37 AM
I keep reading the title of this thread, "I cheated on my vegan... " as

"I cheated on my vagin... "

"No, but it shows I'm thinking."

suddenseer
07-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I keep reading the title of this thread, "I cheated on my vegan... " as

"I cheated on my vagin... "

"No, but it shows I'm thinking."Does that mean lesbians are vagitarians?

suddenseer
07-12-2011, 10:52 AM
When I was stationed in Pearl Harbor, I went Lacto-Ovo for oh....about two years. Felt great, doing century rides every weekend and 40 miles at lunch on weekdays. Sure still drank but its all grain or grape related so no problemo! Just one day, I said "I want a double whopper with cheese...and onions...and a large fry" Gawd it smelled wonderful...gawd it tasted wonderful...20 minutes later....HURRRKKKK...lawd help meh...HURRRHHHKKKKK...Kill me...RAAALLLPH.... Felt like crap for a week. So for two days basically detoxed again on brown rice, plain yogurt and green tea. It took six months to take eating skinless grilled white meat parts again and another two to eat very lean steakies. So if you go Vegan, beware about trying to come back for real!I was lacto/ovo for about 4 years. I went back to omnivore when my partner moved in. He did all of the cooking, and he only knew southern pan fried in grease everything. he bought the cheapest of everything. I gave in even though I knew better. I had completed a few marathons before I met him, and now, I could not run around the block without collapsing. I't my own damned fault, I have no one to blame but myself. I remember the toxic shock the first time I had McDonalds.....BAAAAARF. I have been reading about reversing the effects of type II diabetes with a vegan mostly raw diet. That is what I decided to do. I cannot afford the meat, and poultry that is free range, and properly raised, or else I would have switched. I was eating out of fast food windows, and carry outs. I quit doing that sans my favorite Mexican place that I have a weekly dinner with friends. The staff there cooks to my special order. They love it when someone orders off the menu. Their owner is vegetarian so he happily makes sure I get what I want. So, I am not blowing money on bad food anymore. So far, I feel great. I did chat a bit a few weeks ago, I had veggie pizza at a work function, it had a bit of cheese.

NA4BH
07-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Wouldn't a Vegan be some one from Las Vegas? Or would it be a Veganonian?

KB3LAZ
07-12-2011, 02:49 PM
As stated I have started getting locally raised beef and chicken that is 'organic'. Cut the red meat intake in half if not more and reduced fried foods to the point of being almost non existent. The little beef that I do eat taste much better than the crap from places such as walmart etc. The chicken is superb. I do eat a little fish now and then mostly what I catch but Im willing to bet that farm raised fish is better for me. The water around here..ew. I mean there are mercury etc advisories all of the time for consumption of fish.

Most of the changes I made were hard at first but not too bad now. However, I could not go vegan. Just too many things I enjoy to give up. For example, milk. (not the sugar water they sell in the store either).

Either way I figured it was time to eat at least a bit healthier. I feel better most of the time, I sleep better, I wake up relaxed. Next step is to give up smoking (not my cigars but I only have one a week) but rather the 2 pack a day habit I have atm. Then to lose another 20 lbs on top of the 30 I have already lost putting me at about 185. Then I can wake up in the morning non congested and no hacking. =)