PDA

View Full Version : PSA: If you're gonna drive like an idiot on Friday evening...

N8YX
07-08-2011, 06:36 PM
A) Make sure you're not apparently under the influence when you attempt it.

B) Leave what appears to be your equally drunk buddy out of your vehicle.

C) Regarding said vehicle: Pickups - especially mid-sized ones - are capable of properly handling swerving maneuvers only when modified according to NASCAR rules and campaigned on the appropriate circuit.

D) The appropriate circuit does NOT happen to be a 6-lane interstate packed with rush-hour traffic, by the way.

E) About those 'high-speed, low-drag' maneuvers: If you really want your fellow motorists to believe you're an LEO or PS official, see that switch on the dash which turns on your emergency lights and siren? Flip the fucking thing to ON.

F) Now that you've failed A through E, what makes you think that all ten gazillion cell phones throughout your makeshift racecourse are NOT gonna be dialing 1-800-GRAB-DUI with almost perfect synchronicity?

G) God protects fools and drunks. He also protects bikers from fools and drunks, if the biker does his or her part. I managed to create a large enough space cushion between myself and traffic up the road that when said individual passed by me he had a clear lane to the right and ahead. We're talking on the order of 150-200yds. This probably saved me, although I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been to the rear-views and should have seen the jack-ass coming sooner.

H) The guy in the RAV4 you almost hit certainly was on his game and managed to avoid being run off the road and into the right-side guardrail at the exit. Hopefully he'll be summoned as a witness at your trial, dipshit.

I) Re: Item G - God occasionally does answer prayers, though sometimes not exactly in the fashion we mortals favor. No, the state trooper whom we all hoped was sitting in his usual rush-hour hiding place wasn't present today, and so you skated past that potential stop. But you know those safety cables which are now being strung down the median of almost every major interstate? Don't they do a pluperfect, fantabulously marvelous job of keeping you OUT of oncoming traffic whilst ripping the front undercarriage, exhaust and most of the front drivetrain components from underneath your vehicle...and subsequently bringing it to an absolute stop?

As soon as I made it home I texted a co-worker of mine and told her to watch her butt through the area. She replied that when she drove through it, the boys were being made to walk the line. The DUI-test line, that is. I have a sneaking suspicion that the driver failed.

One good thing comes of the incident, however: That particular truck is going nowhere again, even if the drivers mysteriously skate on any pending charges.

The usual Jackass disclaimer regarding professional stunt people, "Don't try this at home" ad nauseum applies here in spades. If such a combination as drinking, driving and excess speed can kill a Jackass like Ryan Dunn, it'll certainly do Bubba Barfly in as well. Only this time, no innocent bystanders went with them.

I'll post links to this as soon as our local paper's website has them up.

KG4CGC
07-08-2011, 06:44 PM
Oh Man! Saw a guy doing the same thing in a raised Suburban. He was not swerving through traffic, he was cutting. Cutting the wheel hard to change lanes. I was totally expecting him to roll the vehicle in the middle or Friday afternoon traffic, northbound on Hwy 85 in Greenville Co. The cops were waiting for him at about the Pelham Rd exit.

NQ6U
07-08-2011, 07:18 PM
...move to southern California, where no one will even notice.

WØTKX
07-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Those new fangled cable barriers are the bomb, eh?

Dissipating force and usually preventing the vehicle from crossing the median into oncoming traffic. We've noticed a drop in injuries and rollovers because of them. But man, they tear the up the vehicles.

Better to shred the ride, than a dead human hide.

n2ize
07-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Oh Man! Saw a guy doing the same thing in a raised Suburban. He was not swerving through traffic, he was cutting. Cutting the wheel hard to change lanes. I was totally expecting him to roll the vehicle in the middle or Friday afternoon traffic, northbound on Hwy 85 in Greenville Co. The cops were waiting for him at about the Pelham Rd exit.

Had a guy pull that shit around here. The police heli had him in sights and got the patrol cars in position. As soon as the guy slowed to pull off at an exit he was toast. The jerk even had an open beer in the SUV with him and was spotted drinking it. I hope they pulled his license. they should have confiscated his SUV too.

suddenseer
07-08-2011, 08:18 PM
My head is still reeling from this local crash caught on cruiser cam almost a year ago. The kid does not remember it.He got several years probation, and community service. His body is f*cked up for life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOyAUpLcblo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOyAUpLcblo

KB3LAZ
07-09-2011, 12:11 AM
Meh...most sober drivers are like that around these parts. I often wonder if the drunks drive better. I had to restrain myself from pulling someone out of his hotrod the other night and kicking his ass..Instead I pissed him off. Knowing the highway I knew there was nowhere for him to pass. So I did 15 mph under the speed limit for the whole stretch. Man I got the horn, the finger, a fuck you, and more every 30 seconds.

While staying here in the hotel I have on occasion sat out back having a smoke watching the traffic for fun. Why is this fun you ask. Simple, I got to watch about 30 tickets issued every night. Warms my heart. If you are in such a hurry that you have to do 120 in a 40 then leave earlier for fucks sake!

NA4BH
07-09-2011, 12:38 AM
If you are in such a hurry that you have to do 120 in a 40 then leave earlier for fucks sake!

The young man gets it. Good for you (++++++++++++).

N8YX
07-09-2011, 08:09 AM
The young man gets it. Good for you (++++++++++++).
A rule of thumb about speed, especially when on a motorcycle:

Don't drive grossly over or under the average speed of traffic.

Either behavior invites a reckless-op stop.

Conditions sometimes dictate that everyone slow down, even below posted limits. Which in and of itself is fine. Speeding - unless a fair amount faster than posted limits or prudent for road conditions - rarely gets you in trouble. Being in a rush - or being distracted - almost always will, and the LEO community seems to target such individuals.

W2NAP
07-09-2011, 11:41 AM
i will say one thing about here. if your a out of stater you better go the speed limit and not 1 MPH over.

as you will get a ticket faster for 1 or 2 over then a guy with ind plates going 10 over.

suddenseer
07-09-2011, 12:07 PM
i will say one thing about here. if your a out of stater you better go the speed limit and not 1 MPH over.

as you will get a ticket faster for 1 or 2 over then a guy with ind plates going 10 over.I found that out the hard way.

NQ6U
07-09-2011, 12:41 PM
I found that out the hard way.

Ohio is particularly bad for that, especially for 18-wheeler drivers. Truck speed limit in OH is 55 MPH and I know several drivers who have received a ticket for doing 57 MPH.

suddenseer
07-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Ohio is particularly bad for that, especially for 18-wheeler drivers. Truck speed limit in OH is 55 MPH and I know several drivers who have received a ticket for doing 57 MPH.They are notoriously famous for revenue enhancement from out of state drivers. I was pulled over for going 67 in a 60 state route zone. When I spotted him in the rear view mirror, I said to myself "well there goes another $130 pissed away". He checked my license, and registration, and insurance card. He commented on my ham call plates. He told me his dad was a ham, and let me off with a verbal warning. Those guys just do not do that. He must respect hams or something. I use the cruise control set @ 60 mph on that stretch of highway now.;)

ki4itv
07-09-2011, 02:46 PM
He probably knows hams well enough and decided he didn't wish to stand there for hours haggling with you over the fines. :lol:

suddenseer
07-09-2011, 03:37 PM
He probably knows hams well enough and decided he didn't wish to stand there for hours haggling with you over the fines. :lol:The men & women of the OSP do not haggle. Their politeness usually pisses me off. The ones I have dealt with are true professionals. I had my first and so far only chargeable accident when i was 36. The responding officer was from the OSP. I sat in his car most of the event. I was shaking, and kept saying "I can't believe I did this". He grabbed my hand , and told me I am only getting a stop sign violation. i don't have to go to court because my record was clean. My insurance will take care of the other people. He confided that he caused 2 accidents since he became a patrolman. He told me I am not a bad person, it's an accident. You did not plan this, the sun blocked your vision. This is a known dangerous intersection for sun blindness. I am sure there are a few bad apples, but I have yet to encounter them. We call them the flying tire salesmen. http://www.odmp.org/media/image/agency/2894/2894.jpg

KB3LAZ
07-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Ohio is particularly bad for that, especially for 18-wheeler drivers. Truck speed limit in OH is 55 MPH and I know several drivers who have received a ticket for doing 57 MPH.

Knock on wood. I have never got a ticket in ohio and I drive there daily beings I work there and go to school there yet live in PA. I drive in NY a lot as well. Neither of which have I got a ticket in either. Ofc Im a 3-5mph under the speed limit kinda guy.