PDA

View Full Version : Could Christianity be linked to obesity?

kc7jty
07-07-2011, 03:26 PM
This is America dammit. Land of short brains, taste, class, and large on largeness.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-204_162-10008479.html?tag=page

KG4CGC
07-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Bush did it.

PA5COR
07-07-2011, 05:07 PM
The USA No 1!!!! USA! USA! ;)

ki4itv
07-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm surrounded by people who might eat my food when I'm not looking.

W2NAP
07-07-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm surrounded by people who might eat my food when I'm not looking.

around here im suprised things dont start to orbit people.

kf0rt
07-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm kinda fat, and Jesus is not my homeboy.

w3bny
07-07-2011, 08:28 PM
This is America dammit. Land of short brains, taste, class, and large on largeness.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6584/cryingkoreans3zc.jpg

ki4itv
07-07-2011, 08:33 PM
around here im suprised things dont start to orbit people.
:lol::lol::lol:

KB3LAZ
07-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Or ppl could just blame themselves...something else Americans are missing, common sense and responsibility for their own actions. Personal responsibility, whats so hard to understand about that?

KG4CGC
07-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Or ppl could just blame themselves...something else Americans are missing, common sense and responsibility for their own actions. Personal responsibility, whats so hard to understand about that?
Well the Conservatives are constantly preaching "personal responsibility and family values" but they seem to fall flat on their faces on both counts. For them I suppose personal responsibility means stealing as much money as possible via a network of low friends in high places. Family values boil down to knowing how to dispose of a dead stripper before the press finds out.

KC2UGV
07-08-2011, 07:33 AM
I don't think Christianity can be blamed for this (Shock! GASP!). Christianity (As well as most religions) teach that suffering in this life leads to a better one in the next.

Starving oneself, being poor, et al. All will grant you a place in heaven, or the next karmic level.

N7YA
07-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Martyrdom exists, and fuels, both religion and obesity, so you may have something there.

N2NH
07-08-2011, 10:48 AM
NH replies, "No, but according to Faux Lies, Democrats cause cancer."

suddenseer
07-08-2011, 10:49 AM
I am encouraging people to eat, drink, smoke all they want when they want. They will die at a younger age, and make room form my social security, and medicare.

KB3LAZ
07-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Well the Conservatives are constantly preaching "personal responsibility and family values" but they seem to fall flat on their faces on both counts. For them I suppose personal responsibility means stealing as much money as possible via a network of low friends in high places. Family values boil down to knowing how to dispose of a dead stripper before the press finds out.

Its dead hooker but seriously...its like these ppl that sue a place cuz they got fat eating their foods. I wonder if it ever occurred to them to put the burger down and go for a walk? I just dont get it. We as a country are always so ready to push the blame on others when the fault is our own.

KG4CGC
07-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Its dead hooker but seriously...its like these ppl that sue a place cuz they got fat eating their foods. I wonder if it ever occurred to them to put the burger down and go for a walk? I just dont get it. We as a country are always so ready to push the blame on others when the fault is our own.
Understood and I agree but one thing still bothers me and that is that McDonald's food contains some kind of addicting substance that is stronger than just salt and fat. It's like an anti-depressant that really messes you up if you don't get it regularly. I'm not making this up. In 2007 I ate Micky Ds 5 times over 2 months and began to develop deep cravings for the food. When I did not give in to the cravings I started suffering severe depression.

KB3LAZ
07-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Understood and I agree but one thing still bothers me and that is that McDonald's food contains some kind of addicting substance that is stronger than just salt and fat. It's like an anti-depressant that really messes you up if you don't get it regularly. I'm not making this up. In 2007 I ate Micky Ds 5 times over 2 months and began to develop deep cravings for the food. When I did not give in to the cravings I started suffering severe depression.

Lucky me, I dislike everything they sell. Im more of a sheetz or subway kinda fast food guy. I like chicken subs.

N7YA
07-09-2011, 07:07 PM

YES!! Ive been saying this for years! I totally noticed the same thing but everyone just looks at me like i have a pineapple growing out of my head. Its no joke, its not hard for them to put an addictive additive in their garbage to massively increase profits...seems to work with cigarettes and other things. I tend to feel that about 50 years ago we started out as being a corporate experiment in eliminating the "if" factor in our decision making process for ourselves. Companies started buying eachother out and these days, run largely unchecked. We have basically become 9 volt batteries, when we run out, were thrown out. They can do whatever they want in terms of research and developement. I know what addiction feels like, and when i was a "heavy user" of fast food (as they call it), i felt antsy and irritable until i got my supersized QP meal...ive eaten burgers that were FAR better quality, the kind you never forget having, but i never had those withdrawal symptoms like i did with the salty, fatty ground up butts-n-nuts crap i was shovelling in every day.

Its been years since eaten that shit, and ive since gone vegetarian/pescatarian. Those feelings never returned. And for the record, when i didnt get my McDonalds, it was the exact same feeling i had when i didnt get my cocaine or meth. Im glad someone else noticed this little thing, thank you.

ki4itv
07-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Mom!! Adam said, "butts and nuts":bbh:

suddenseer
07-09-2011, 09:27 PM
YES!! Ive been saying this for years! I totally noticed the same thing but everyone just looks at me like i have a pineapple growing out of my head. Its no joke, its not hard for them to put an addictive additive in their garbage to massively increase profits...seems to work with cigarettes and other things. I tend to feel that about 50 years ago we started out as being a corporate experiment in eliminating the "if" factor in our decision making process for ourselves. Companies started buying eachother out and these days, run largely unchecked. We have basically become 9 volt batteries, when we run out, were thrown out. They can do whatever they want in terms of research and developement. I know what addiction feels like, and when i was a "heavy user" of fast food (as they call it), i felt antsy and irritable until i got my supersized QP meal...ive eaten burgers that were FAR better quality, the kind you never forget having, but i never had those withdrawal symptoms like i did with the salty, fatty ground up butts-n-nuts crap i was shovelling in every day.

Its been years since eaten that shit, and ive since gone vegetarian/pescatarian. Those feelings never returned. And for the record, when i didnt get my McDonalds, it was the exact same feeling i had when i didnt get my cocaine or meth. Im glad someone else noticed this little thing, thank you.

Adam, I have spent the last year studying nutrition when I was not taking my night courses. 6 weeks ago, I decided to do something about my poor health. I decided to get rid of all processed foods, out of my house. I stopped buying anything that contains high fructose corn syrup. The corporate masters make this shit. I am talking about Archer Daniels Midland, and Cargill. High fructose corn syrup was substituted for sugar back in the late 70's, and early 80's. We are about the only country in the world that allows that shit to be put in our food. Damn near all sodas have it. Get a Coke bottled in Mexico, or a kosher Coke made with cane sugar.(cane sugar is not good for you in large doses either) . High fructose corn syrup has no nutritional value. It affects the brain just like cocaine does. Once again, we are about the only country in the world that allows it. People like Palin does not like Mrs. Obama suggesting to us how to feed our children. FUCK HER! she wants biz as usual. You are correct, the big companies have been feeding us SHIT disguised as food. Addictive SHIT!!!. No wonder the USA is becoming OBESE, the food we eat is not our parents food. It is not our fault. We have been lied to, and fed SHIT!!!!

I cannot raise my own livestock, chickens, etc. The meat, dairy and egg products sold in stores are full of anti biotics, growth hormones, and other chemicals. That is why I went vegan. Produce is less manipulated a food as the rest. BTW boycott Florida grown tomatoes. read politics of the plate.

KB3LAZ
07-10-2011, 01:23 AM
But it is our fault as a mass to be too ignorant to give a damn.

As far as going vegan, I will never take it that far. Ill stick with my local organic beef etc and take my chances. I like meat and I like dairy. =) but more power to you.

N7YA
07-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Its much harder to find small farms anymore. To be a small, independent farmer, the overhead cost dictated by the set market values (which are greatly influenced by large factory farms) can be too much to bear, so they end up having to sell off a lifetime of hard work and dreams to the big companies. How many mom-n-pop farms, stores or businesses are left in this country now? Not a lot since creating scarcity in the market can only be done by eliminating the competition, then setting the prices. And to increase profitablity, corners are cut, additives put in, and safety regulations are ignored. Blah blah blah, weve beaten THAT horse to death on here many times, and will continue to do so.

Of course, there are still some small farmers doing alright for themselves, but largely due to demographics, what they grow and sell and geography.

I stopped eating mammals this year for two main reasons. First, i dont trust the process. These facilities are not clean, the animals are not healthy and theres a lot of cost-cutting shit pumped into that meat. Second, the animals themselves. I dont care what you want to believe, how you feel about animals, etc...do what you want. For me, personally, these animals are sick, tortured by murderers who arent allowed to kill people so they take out their sick pleasures on these lowly creatures, and all parts of them are ground up and thrown in for us (and eachother) to eat. Im not a PETA guy by any means, but theres no good energy coming out of slaughter houses, and i just dont feel like ingesting that kind of thing into my body if i can help it. I consider myself a spirtual being, i consider us all to be. I also strongly believe that all life is connected, all molecules are related, but like any system...there are healthy bodies and failing bodies. I feel humankind is ill and we have serious blockages in our spirit (religion is a major arterial blockage, but thats another rant). I dont think theres anything i can do to help anyone else at this point in the game, so i do what i feel is right for myself.

Eat meat if you like, drink, smoke, take political sides, go to church...do it all. I just presented a couple of reasons why i cannot join you in that. But i have also learned to relax on other people a little more, and have found solace that whether or not i agree with someones opinions or how they live their life, i am no better or worse than they are.

(i do love salmon, though...am i bad?)

KC2UGV
07-11-2011, 08:25 PM
Just eat what you kill yourself. Then, you'll know it was quick, and humane.

N7YA
07-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Just eat what you kill yourself. Then, you'll know it was quick, and humane.

I can agree with that. As for killing my own food, i grew up in Alaska, its kind of what folks do there, but i believe there is a proper spiritual way to do it. Its about sharing and neccessity, not arrogantly taking due to a sense of entitlement and power, thats all. Ask any true mountain man, not just a loner cracker with a rifle hiding from the IRS...but a TRUE "Mountain Man". Ive had the pleasure of knowing a couple.

kc7jty
07-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Are stupid people more likely to be fat? Are stupid people more likely to be poor? Look at all the blimps on food stamps.
Are stupids more likely to believe in the Christian God? Look how fat Americans are, are we a Christian nation?
Are certain ethnic groups more likely to excel at certain activities, running, jumping, and basketball for instance?

Eric Sevareid once said the truth is it's own justification. More time, money, and effort has been spent concealing the truth than was ever expended on anything else.

N7YA
07-11-2011, 10:00 PM
You have some good song lyrics there, Bill. Nice flow.

kc7jty
07-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Of course all our chubby bub wibbit friends here on the island are exempt.

NA4BH
07-11-2011, 10:56 PM
You have some good song lyrics there, Bill. Nice flow.

Put it to the tune of The Crystal Ship by the DOORS and you got a number one hit.

N7YA
07-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Or for maximum comedic effect, have Justin Beiber sing it, that should confuse his blithering idiot fanbase of female teenaged Nazis.

N7YA
07-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Are stupid people more likely to be fat? Are stupid people more likely to be poor? Look at all the blimps on food stamps.
Are stupids more likely to believe in the Christian God? Look how fat Americans are, are we a Christian nation?
Are certain ethnic groups more likely to excel at certain activities, running, jumping, and basketball for instance?

Eric Sevareid once said the truth is it's own justification. More time, money, and effort has been spent concealing the truth than was ever expended on anything else.

....oooooh yeah girl! Fat bitch, fat fat bitch... Come on!

I dont know, i think it could work.

kc7jty
07-12-2011, 02:16 AM
http://beautytipsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/justin-bieber-2.png
he's almost as goofy looking as my avy.

KC2UGV
07-12-2011, 07:28 AM
I can agree with that. As for killing my own food, i grew up in Alaska, its kind of what folks do there, but i believe there is a proper spiritual way to do it. Its about sharing and neccessity, not arrogantly taking due to a sense of entitlement and power, thats all. Ask any true mountain man, not just a loner cracker with a rifle hiding from the IRS...but a TRUE "Mountain Man". Ive had the pleasure of knowing a couple.

Well go for it :) If that's how it can sit well with you (Or, just ignoring meat altogether), at least you have a reasoned sensibility about it, which I can support. Not too many places where one can not live on what they kill.

However, there are alternatives. Grass-fed beef tends to be a very humane way of animal husbandry. It's not a assembly line death, generally. Not sure about the "spiritual aspects", but it is much more humane.

N7YA
07-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Well, im nobodys Ted Nugent, i would only kill an animal if i absolutely had to (food or im under attack)...i just ignore meat, generally.

N7YA
07-12-2011, 08:25 AM
http://beautytipsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/justin-bieber-2.png
he's almost as goofy looking as my avy.

THIS....pretty little jail cell princess is outspoken about how evil being gay is??!! Come out, Justin, we know you're in there...come out, come out wherever you ahhh.....

N2NH
07-13-2011, 11:01 AM
Put it to the tune of The Crystal Ship by the DOORS and you got a number one hit.

I was thinking more along "If I Only Had A Brain" Renamed to "If I Only Had Some Fries".

KG4CGC
07-13-2011, 11:21 AM
I was thinking that Christianity and obesity was linked to Aunt Bea. Although, with respect to Aunt Bea, she was a mind your own business Christian.

kc7jty
07-13-2011, 04:36 PM
So they would have you think.