PDA

View Full Version : I swore I wouldn't do it...

KJ3N
07-06-2011, 10:19 PM
... but I just picked up my very first smartphone..... the iPhone 4.

My biggest holdout was that it wasn't available on my carrier, Verizon. Well, after finding out that Verizon was cancelling their unlimited data plan effective 7/7/2011, I figured that since I was overdue for a phone upgrade, I'd bite the bullet.

It's going to take me weeks to figure this thing out. SOAB.....

KG4CGC
07-06-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm Sorry.

NQ6U
07-06-2011, 10:40 PM
... but I just picked up my very first smartphone..... the iPhone 4. [...] It's going to take me weeks to figure this thing out. SOAB.....

I've had an iPhone for over three years now, feel free to ask me questions. Let me tell you how it's gonna go, though: at first, you're baffled and a little intimidated. Then, you're fascinated. Finally, you wonder how you ever go along without the damned thing—especially the Maps apps.

NA4BH
07-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I've had an iPhone for over three years now, feel free to ask me questions.

What is the total cubic centimeter volume of the universe?

NQ6U
07-06-2011, 10:46 PM

A whole lot.

Next?

NA4BH
07-06-2011, 10:48 PM
That IS one smart phone. :yes:

KG4CGC
07-06-2011, 10:56 PM

KJ3N
07-06-2011, 11:01 PM
I've had an iPhone for over three years now, feel free to ask me questions.

OK, how the fuck do you change/delete Cupertino from the weather app? How do you add something in its place? I don't GAF about the weather in Cupertino!

NQ6U
07-06-2011, 11:38 PM
OK, how the fuck do you change/delete Cupertino from the weather app? How do you add something in its place? I don't GAF about the weather in Cupertino!

Down in the lower right corner there's a white circle with a lower-case "i" in it. Touch that and you'll get a window where you can delete Cupertino by touching the red circle with a "—" in it that's next to it. To add a new one, touch the square with the "+" in it in the upper left corner.

WX7P
07-06-2011, 11:44 PM

C'mon Jim. Cupertino RULES!

My first ex-wife is from there. Well...Ok... Flush...

NA4BH
07-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Before you delete, what is the weather in Cupertino?

KG4CGC
07-06-2011, 11:50 PM
partly cloudy
wind 9 mph
humidity 67%

NQ6U
07-06-2011, 11:51 PM

Currently 68°F and partly cloudy after a high of 84°F. Overnight low expected to be in the mid-fifties.

KJ3N
07-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Down in the lower right corner there's a white circle with a lower-case "i" in it. Touch that and you'll get a window where you can delete Cupertino by touching the red circle with a "—" in it that's next to it. To add a new one, touch the square with the "+" in it in the upper left corner.

Tried that last night and it didn't seem to work. This morning tried again. It seems that little "i" is a very touchy little bastid. Cupertino gone!

KJ3N
07-07-2011, 06:23 AM
C'mon Jim. Cupertino RULES!

My first ex-wife is from there. Well...Ok... Flush...

:slap:

W1GUH
07-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Why?

KJ3N
07-07-2011, 07:34 AM
This the work of The Devil, I tell you!

The Apple app store requires an Apple ID account setup. OK, fine. Go to set up said account and there's 62 pages of Terms and Conditions? Are you fucking kidding me? JFC!!

NQ6U
07-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Don't sweat Apple's terms & conditions, they're pretty typical. You know—you sign away your soul and give them your first-born male child.

NQ6U
07-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Dupe dupe dupe
Dupe of Earl, dupe dupe
Dupe of Earl, dupe dupe
Dupe of Earl, dupe dupe...

W3WN
07-07-2011, 10:21 AM
What is the total cubic centimeter volume of the universe?42.

...I see I'm not the only Douglas Adams reader here...

KJ3N
07-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Don't sweat Apple's terms & conditions, they're pretty typical. You know—you sign away your soul and give them your first-born male child.

"Too Jewish..." - Hedley Lamarr

n2ize
07-07-2011, 10:58 AM

it is 1

KJ3N
07-07-2011, 05:22 PM
OK, so email on my phone is neat, I can send and receive pictures now (just like Weiner), and the web is tolerable on a small screen.

I still haven't gotten to the app store yet, but there is one app I'm dying to try out; Electronic Tool Box (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/elektor-electronic-toolbox/id339158729?mt=8). :bbh:

Older version demo here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=377dquuny4w).

NQ6U
07-07-2011, 05:47 PM
I've got it. It's not bad but they've raised the price considerably since I bought my copy—it was 99 cents, now it's $5.99. I'm not sure it's worth it at that price.

KJ3N
07-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Here's a generic question: Which app do you use for FB? (assuming anyone here uses FB on an iPhone)

kf0rt
07-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Pocket leashes.

Find lake.
Throw it in.

Just trying to help. :yes:

KB3LAZ
07-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I guess I will never understand why the average person buys a smartphone. I am slowly phasing out the need for a laptop. Guess Im just getting old and cranky. ..and I hate email (figured that fit in here somewhere)

KB3LAZ
07-07-2011, 08:52 PM
I've got it. It's not bad but they've raised the price considerably since I bought my copy—it was 99 cents, now it's $5.99. I'm not sure it's worth it at that price.

:P almost as funny as paying for an OS. ;)

WØTKX
07-07-2011, 10:55 PM
I really like the iPhone. I have a "workplace issued" one. Dang thing grows on ya.

Also have a personal cell, might get an Android thingy and finally get something fancier than a Motorola Razr.

But for a "just a phone", the Razr is damn good. Takes abuse well. Readable without the glasses. :agree:

KJ3N
07-08-2011, 06:20 AM
I guess I will never understand why the average person buys a smartphone. I am slowly phasing out the need for a laptop. Guess Im just getting old and cranky. ..and I hate email (figured that fit in here somewhere)

You forgot something.

"Get off my Lawn!!!"

:lol:

W3MIV
07-08-2011, 06:39 AM
Dang thing grows on ya.

So does toenail fungus.

I got two iPhones from Verizon about two months back. Only complaint I have is trying to use the tiny keyboards for anything other than a basic grunt or burp. I bought an after-market fold up that bluetooths to the phone; works very well for emails when you are on the road, either using 3G or WiFi -- though the former is radically slower than the latter. Beats all hell outta carrying a laptop around when your only desire is email and short forays on the web... beats the netbook concept and iPad style tablets, too, in my view.

The whole point is that a portable communication device for hand-carry should be small and easily portable. The H/T versus trying to waltz around carrying an IC-751.

I was tempted by Android (specifically by the Thunderbolt), and I may find by the end of my two-year mandatory contract (now with a $375 cancellation fee instead of the former $175) a universality of 4G service. That will make the choice betwixt the two systems a more difficult choice, since accelerating competition by then will have carried both much farther down the performance road.

Thus far, I give the iPhone4 very high marks.

This is more typification than I have forced you to suffer in days. I am now exhausted!

ciao

KC2UGV
07-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Here's a generic question: Which app do you use for FB? (assuming anyone here uses FB on an iPhone)

I'd suggest using the mobile facebook site. The Facebook app for both Android and iOS sucks ass. The only thing the iOS version has a leg up on the Android version is that it doesn't crash nearly as much.

KB3LAZ
07-08-2011, 11:40 AM
You forgot something.

"Get off my Lawn!!!"

:lol:

lol. Idk, I just dont like cellphones. I mean I have one but meh, I dont use it often. Ppl get pissed that I never answer it. I got it to make calls not receive them or post on FB.

KJ3N
07-08-2011, 03:17 PM
lol. Idk, I just dont like cellphones. I mean I have one but meh, I dont use it often. Ppl get pissed that I never answer it. I got it to make calls not receive them or post on FB.

I've resisted the whole smartphone idea for as long as they've been around. Never saw much use in them. I was a POTS man for a long, long time.

However, I'm about to embark on a new job adventure that the iPhone is going to make the job easier to handle. Call it a necessary evil.

WV6Z
07-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I've resisted the whole smartphone idea for as long as they've been around. Never saw much use in them. I was a POTS man for a long, long time.

However, I'm about to embark on a new job adventure that the iPhone is going to make the job easier to handle. Call it a necessary evil.

Sadly, no matter the job, it very likely will these days........ g'luck on your adventure.

WV6Z
07-08-2011, 04:10 PM

...I see I'm not the only Douglas Adams reader here...

No you're not. Not by a long shot.

KB3LAZ
07-08-2011, 05:41 PM

I have had multiple for personal use and just cant justify it. Work is another story but unless they are going to supply the phone and the plan they are sol.

KG4CGC
07-08-2011, 07:08 PM
So, now that you've been fiddling about with your new iPhone, do you feel dirty?

ki4itv
07-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Those things are the debil.
Handy as pockets on pants, is debil.

KJ3N
07-09-2011, 09:35 PM
So, now that you've been fiddling about with your new iPhone, do you feel dirty?

Surprisingly, no. I think I may grow to like it.

Now, if I'd stop fiddling with all the time, the battery would last longer. ;)

n6hcm
07-11-2011, 01:39 AM
I'd suggest using the mobile facebook site. The Facebook app for both Android and iOS sucks ass. The only thing the iOS version has a leg up on the Android version is that it doesn't crash nearly as much.

never used the ios version, but the android version works just fine for me. no crashes or anything. what are you doing wrong?

KB3LAZ
07-11-2011, 04:34 AM
Dont forget to post pics of your coffee and your breakfast etc via your phone on twitter or what not! :P I will never understand that. I know its a little off topic but..Why do ppl feel that they are so interesting that we need to be updated when they drink, eat, sleep, and or make a BM?

The mention of FB got me thinking of this. My FB list is very very small and I like it that way. Its only purpose to me is to keep in touch with a few family members that refuse to leave their computer for more than the time it takes to pee. But at least they do that. Dont want to see clear bottles turning yellow around them.

Sent my aunt a link about internet addiction. I thought my gaming habits were bad...but her FB and twitter habits are WOW. Sigh, I dont get it.

KC2UGV
07-11-2011, 06:24 AM
never used the ios version, but the android version works just fine for me. no crashes or anything. what are you doing wrong?

I updated it to the newest version...