PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Take Levaquin ??

n2ize
07-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Levaquin is an antibiotic my doctor recently prescribed me for an infection. After reading some information about it online I decided not to take it. It's got at least 3 websites devoted just to its side effects. Some of the effects are nasty...intense CNS stimulation, anxiety, paranoid behavior, tendon pain and rupture, interactions with dozens of other medication, permanent nerve damage. Some of the adverse effects can occur right after the first dosage or weeks after the last dosage. I know that all antibiotics can have some nasty effects but never have I read of one with such an incredible array of severe effects. I think it;s also got one or more class action lawsuits going on against it. In addition it;s related to Cipro which I have had adverse reaction to in the past.

Instead I called the doctor and requested a different antibiotic. maybe I'm over reacting but I like to play it safe.

Meanwhile Marijuana is a "dangerous drug" and remains banned,,,

kc7jty
07-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Took Cefadroxil during and after wrist surgery and I COULD NOT PEE ON IT!

KG4CGC
07-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Goldenseal
Garlic
Parsley
Ginger
Look those up. Check for drug interactions with Goldenseal. Don't take Parsley if you're preggers.

suddenseer
07-06-2011, 08:00 PM
I was introduced to it 3 years ago while hospitalized. First IV, then 14 days after release. It is a powerful antibiotic, and damned expensive to boot.

N7YA
07-06-2011, 09:13 PM

You just have to relax, steady your aim and release the stream slowly. Its a small pill, but with practice, you will hit it every time.

N7YA
07-06-2011, 09:15 PM
As a rule, i avoid Pharmie wonderdrugs with fancy names for conditions that are only described with letters....things we never needed before for things we never had before.

NQ6U
07-06-2011, 09:21 PM
As a rule, i avoid Pharmie wonderdrugs with fancy names for conditions that are only described with letters....things we never needed before for things we never had before.

Well, yeah, but, you know, a lot more of us used to die before, too.

n2ize
07-06-2011, 09:22 PM

Cefadroxil is similar to Keflex. I have always tolerated Keflex well. Only side effects I ever got from it was an itching in the groin area and sweat that smells like penecillin.

n2ize
07-06-2011, 09:23 PM
I was introduced to it 3 years ago while hospitalized. First IV, then 14 days after release. It is a powerful antibiotic, and damned expensive to boot.

Indeed. Quite expensive. I presume you fared well under it.

N7YA
07-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Well, yeah, but, you know, a lot more of us used to die before, too.

As Louis C.K. said, MOST people are dead, were all dead people who havent died yet. But, when we died before, we looked a hell of a lot better. :lol:

kc7jty
07-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Cefadroxil is similar to Keflex. I have always tolerated Keflex well. Only side effects I ever got from it was an itching in the groin area and sweat that smells like penecillin.

I never had trouble with Keflex either, but do have an enlarged prostate. Maybe now...?

N9FE
07-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Just filled my Keflex today. The only damn thing that works. I get for a better word "Zits" on my short leg thats in sillly cone liner for my artifical leg. Summer time, Sweat, Silly come= Zits= Ingrown hairs that only keflex will kill and keep dried up. No fun walking on an infected zit, I'm tellin ya.

KG4CGC
07-06-2011, 10:52 PM
I took Augmentin (http://www.drugs.com/augmentin.html) in 2005 for a week for a round of nasties that were making the rounds that Summer.
In 2002 I took reds (http://www.pharmer.org/images/domestic/cephalexin-93-3147) to clear up some ferocious poison ivy.
After I quit the reds, I started breaking out in some deep zits.

KC2UGV
07-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Levaquin is an antibiotic my doctor recently prescribed me for an infection. After reading some information about it online I decided not to take it. It's got at least 3 websites devoted just to its side effects. Some of the effects are nasty...intense CNS stimulation, anxiety, paranoid behavior, tendon pain and rupture, interactions with dozens of other medication, permanent nerve damage. Some of the adverse effects can occur right after the first dosage or weeks after the last dosage. I know that all antibiotics can have some nasty effects but never have I read of one with such an incredible array of severe effects. I think it;s also got one or more class action lawsuits going on against it. In addition it;s related to Cipro which I have had adverse reaction to in the past.

Instead I called the doctor and requested a different antibiotic. maybe I'm over reacting but I like to play it safe.

Meanwhile Marijuana is a "dangerous drug" and remains banned,,,

Levaquin is generally reserved for serious infections... As a general antibiotic, it shouldn't be prescribed in that manner.

n2ize
07-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Levaquin is generally reserved for serious infections... As a general antibiotic, it shouldn't be prescribed in that manner.

I agree. Biut a lot of doctors seem to be ignorant of this fact and prescribe it as a first line of defense.

I was about to take the Levaquin and I decided to look it up first to learn about potenntial side effects to watch out for. When i read this information and some of the severe complications people have had from Levaquin I decided...NO WAY am I actually taking this stuff unless it is a life or death situation. Apparently too many doctors are either ignorant of this or else are themselves the victims of overly aggressive marketing campaigns. In my case I expect the latter since the doctor had several sample packs to give me.

In any event I got my doctor to prescribe a different antibiotic. He cave me this stuff called "Septra" which I am not too sure agrees well with me. A few hours after taking it last night I stared feeling unpleasantly tired and I experienced some extremely weird hallucinogenic-like dreams. This can be a side effect of the medication. Needless to say I am not taking any more of this stuff. Matter of fact I am going to call the doctor and ask about this. There are plenty of other antibiotics I have taken in the past and which I tolerate very well. Meanwhile the infection being treated seems to be clearing up considerably. Maybe I can get along without any further antibiotics.

KC2UGV
07-07-2011, 02:00 PM
I agree. Biut a lot of doctors seem to be ignorant of this fact and prescribe it as a first line of defense.

I was about to take the Levaquin and I decided to look it up first to learn about potenntial side effects to watch out for. When i read this information and some of the severe complications people have had from Levaquin I decided...NO WAY am I actually taking this stuff unless it is a life or death situation. Apparently too many doctors are either ignorant of this or else are themselves the victims of overly aggressive marketing campaigns. In my case I expect the latter since the doctor had several sample packs to give me.

In any event I got my doctor to prescribe a different antibiotic. He cave me this stuff called "Septra" which I am not too sure agrees well with me. A few hours after taking it last night I stared feeling unpleasantly tired and I experienced some extremely weird hallucinogenic-like dreams. This can be a side effect of the medication. Needless to say I am not taking any more of this stuff. Matter of fact I am going to call the doctor and ask about this. There are plenty of other antibiotics I have taken in the past and which I tolerate very well. Meanwhile the infection being treated seems to be clearing up considerably. Maybe I can get along without any further antibiotics.

Septra, being a sulfa is one of the more basic antibiotics. Why not the good ole standby: Amoxicillin?

I'm a bit of an "expert" in antibiotics... My wife was on/off of them for the better part of our marriage, due to her having tonsil problems.

n2ize
07-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Septra, being a sulfa is one of the more basic antibiotics. Why not the good ole standby: Amoxicillin?

I'm a bit of an "expert" in antibiotics... My wife was on/off of them for the better part of our marriage, due to her having tonsil problems.

Amoxillin would be fine. I even suggested it when i was asking for a different antibiotic yesterday. But of course doctors rarely give a patient what they ask for. Heaven forbid a patient may be right. Septra, from what I have read, is a combo of sulfa and trimethoprim. The tablets he gave me contain 800 mg of the sulfa component and 160 mg of the trimethoprim. Maybe the dosage is too high for me. The tablets are scored and can easily be broken in half.

N7YA
07-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Yep! We're hams alright. :lol:

NQ6U
07-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Yep! We're hams alright. :lol:

Yep. Beginning to sound like 75m in here. FWIW, I have not taken any sort of prescription medication in over ten years.

n6hcm
07-11-2011, 01:45 AM
i used levaquin late last year for an infection which just wouldn't go away (two prior courses of lesser antibiotics were ineffective). i'm still alive ... infection is gone ...

pretty much any contemporary med has side effects--i'm more interested in the likelihood of manifestation of those side effects. not always easy to get this information. :(

suddenseer
07-11-2011, 03:17 AM
Yep. Beginning to sound like 75m in here. FWIW, I have not taken any sort of prescription medication in over ten years.I am workiing on getting to be like you again. I took levaquin when I was hospitalized with a lung infection, after taking amoxcillon which was ineffective. The last 2 upper respiratory infections, the doc went right to Levaquin. It saved my life, i cannot complain.

n2ize
07-11-2011, 03:43 AM
I am workiing on getting to be like you again. I took levaquin when I was hospitalized with a lung infection, after taking amoxcillon which was ineffective. The last 2 upper respiratory infections, the doc went right to Levaquin. It saved my life, i cannot complain.

Levaquin is good stuff if and when you need it. In your case it was obviously needed. The infection you had was not responding to other antibiotics. In my case I feel that Levaquin as a first line of attack was overkill for my problem. So they put me on 1930's style antibiotics instead... which so far are getting the job done.