PDA

View Full Version : Happy Fort of July!

KG4CGC
07-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Anyone here do fireworks? Post your pics or vids.
Here are a couple from the past. One is a short of a firework. The other is stuff stuck together as an attempt at silliness and a firework is included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVoEeY-a16k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzHUNDp1oA8

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/fireworks1.jpg

K7SGJ
07-04-2011, 02:08 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA

N2NH
07-04-2011, 02:53 PM
I think in this case something a bit more patriotic is in order...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_j4i6dmr3lB0/SoMI29niqpI/AAAAAAAAARk/AFzvLGynQWc/s320/Raquel+as+Myra.jpg

NQ6U
07-04-2011, 03:10 PM
No private displays of fireworks allowed here. That's a big downer in my book but understandable—the entirety of southern California catches fire far too easily.

NA4BH
07-04-2011, 03:41 PM
the entirety of southern California catches fire far too easily.

You say that like it would be a bad thing :whistle:

n2ize
07-04-2011, 03:59 PM
There was nothing like spending 4th of july drinking beer after beer. Then breaking out the M-80's and Blockbusters , lighting the fuses and firing them off in slingshots. It's one of the things that makes America great.

K7SGJ
07-04-2011, 04:09 PM
And left handed, only.

kc7jty
07-04-2011, 05:04 PM
My working class neighbors spend hundreds on fireworks, discolor the street shooting them off, then all the debris blows onto my lawn. Fuck 4th of July.

KG4CGC
07-04-2011, 05:08 PM
My working class neighbors spend hundreds on fireworks, discolor the street shooting them off, then all the debris blows onto my lawn. Fuck 4th of July.
God Damn! America! Right, Bill?

NQ6U
07-04-2011, 06:05 PM
You say that like it would be a bad thing :whistle:

It would be if you lived here. Or if you like movies. Otherwise, perhaps not.

W3MIV
07-04-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm with Billhelm; screw the Fourth. Bullshit from the start: "All men are created equal and endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights..." ---> Bullshit penned by a slave owner whose sole manumissions were a few blood relatives.

Around here, fireworks are illegal. Despite that, Union Memorial Hospital's renowned hand clinic will get a lot of fresh business from the idiots who trust Chinese and Mexican fuses.

W3MIV
07-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Some of you may miss my graceful wit and smooth charm over next few days. I am due for some surgery on the morrow and my right wing may be immobilized for a time. (Too bad I cannot arrange for the nation's right wing to be immobilized.) Melanocystic hyperplasia. Sounds dreadful, and my dermo and the plastic guy both assure me it has the potential to be dreadful. So, it is planned to remove a boat-shaped patch of Albi -- not enough for a lamp shade, Gott sei Dank!, but of sufficient acreage to be unpleasant, especially since the plan to supply the replacement sod from somewhere in my groin. OY! The mohel has already done that! ;)

Wish me luck.

NA4BH
07-04-2011, 08:31 PM
Some of you may miss my graceful wit and smooth charm over next few days. I am due for some surgery on the morrow and my right wing may be immobilized for a time. (Too bad I cannot arrange for the nation's right wing to be immobilized.) Melanocystic hyperplasia. Sounds dreadful, and my dermo and the plastic guy both assure me it has the potential to be dreadful. So, it is planned to remove a boat-shaped patch of Albi -- not enough for a lamp shade, Gott sei Dank!, but of sufficient acreage to be unpleasant, especially since the plan to supply the replacement sod from somewhere in my groin. OY! The mohel has already done that! ;)

Wish me luck.

All the best to you.

kc7jty
07-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Sorry to hear of your surgical requirements again Albi but the docs there seem to have put you on the light beam to salvation with that knee of yours. Trust in the marvels of modernistic medical capitalism for if only a short period and get your gd ass well pronto.
Oh, and say hi to oxy for me, it's been a month now for me (thank god for beer & wine).

¡Buena suerte!

NQ6U
07-04-2011, 09:28 PM
My thoughts will be with you, Albi. I wish you all the best and tip an adult beverage (sans umbrella) to your speedy recovery, my friend.

KC9ECI
07-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Good luck.

KC9ECI
07-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Anyway, here's my video. We went to a friends parents house and they had some fireworks to light.

http://youtu.be/tqyLHY2S0_Y

KG4CGC
07-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Anyway, here's my video. We went to a friends parents house and they had some fireworks to light.

http://youtu.be/tqyLHY2S0_Y

Excellent! Thanks!

Albi, good luck with the cutting. :)

kc7jty
07-05-2011, 12:50 AM
My working class neighbors spend hundreds a thousand $$$ on fireworks, discolor burn holes in the street shooting them off, then all the debris blows onto my lawn. Fuck 4th of July.

UPDATE
This is the worst year ever.
My roof must be covered with pyrotechnic debris. These people are ​IDIOTS.

PA5COR
07-05-2011, 02:11 AM
Hope the operation goes very well Albi, take care now ;)

kc7jty
07-05-2011, 02:21 AM
I open the windows to cool down during the festivities cause the smoke is blowing away, then the wind changes. Gets smokey inside. The activity dies down after 11 so I open the windows again, but I keep getting smoke. I go out to see what gives. Here they gathered up all the spent ordinance and are burning it in a BBQ smoker with the lid on.
Just then a dud rocket goes off popping the lid and shooting upward. The neighbor lady who was one of the bunch sitting around the smoker lets out a screech and runs for her life.
I think these people are ​BRAIN DEAD.

w2amr
07-05-2011, 03:59 AM
Hope the operation goes very well Albi, take care now ;)
What he said

w2amr
07-05-2011, 04:05 AM
I open the windows to cool down during the festivities cause the smoke is blowing away, then the wind changes. Gets smokey inside. The activity dies down after 11 so I open the windows again, but I keep getting smoke. I go out to see what gives. Here they gathered up all the spent ordinance and are burning it in a BBQ smoker with the lid on.
Just then a dud rocket goes off popping the lid and shooting upward. The neighbor lady who was one of the bunch sitting around the smoker lets out a screech and runs for her life.
I think these people are ​BRAIN DEAD.
Like many dogs, Our shepherd is terrorfied of fireworks. I have heard that every 4th hundreds of dogs panic and run away. The GD fireworks should be banned. I guess that makes me a bad american.

rot
07-05-2011, 05:17 AM
Good luck Albert.
Immobilization works great for enzyme applcations, but as far as interactive people go ...sucks for sure. I wish you the best. I have at least had the good fortune to have access to a big old bay window and a roll to the front porch with binocs to look onto the nearby farm. Watching tube gets old real fast (even in the HD mode) and binking on the forums help a bit still it sucks.
Having a nice fam to squelch the rants and self induced ugly moments helps as well.
Installion of my new knee on Wednesday and I'm outta this goddamn chair.
Hang tough...You have my best wishes dude.
Rock on.
rot

N2NH
07-05-2011, 05:18 AM

Wish me luck.

Good luck Albi. Maybe you could learn to type left-handed. Or teach the cat to do it for you? ;)

rot
07-05-2011, 05:30 AM
Like many dogs, Our shepherd is terrorfied of fireworks. I have heard that every 4th hundreds of dogs panic and run away. The GD fireworks should be banned. I guess that makes me a bad american.
Bad American....Bad Bad Bad American.:lol:

I was actually a fear some dipshit would land one in the field for the instant field fire since it was so dry. About 4p the storms hit and rained buckets into the dusk.......perfect timing....it stayed pretty quiet all night.
The big local display was set off from a barge on the lake Sat night and was done well.
I like chunking firecrackers into the backyard campfire, but as far as the treetop displays go...let the pros do it in a safe place.

rot

W1GUH
07-05-2011, 07:27 AM
What's really fun, back in the day when I actually went to concerts, were the people who threw lighted firecrackers that (I hope) were intended to go Bang! in the air, but sometimes didn't and went off in the crowd. What idiots.

So...again Macy's fireworks sucked. Hard to decide which was worse, last year's or this years. IIRC, the fireworks were better last year, but the music really, really sucked. This year the music was marginally better, but the fireworks were, can you dig it?, BORING! There were lots and lots of them, but is was pretty much the SOS -- no real creativity applied. The variety of arial displays was very limited -- like the budget was severly limited. An NBC just can't seem to get it right. All during the display, they put this very annoying and distracting "bug" up in the right corner that said "LIVE." That would have been OK, but it had this animated burning fuse on it. What idiot director thought THAT was proper?

But at least, very early in the show, the sound track included a REAL Stars and Stripes Forever. What they did with that march last year was a mocking travesty. But after that, it was the usual pop garbage performed by the usual pop bots. I'm thinking that the Fourth is probably better put into the "ignore" category along with Christmas and New Year's. Better to be enjoyed in private than with the crap that the media shoves down our throats.

KC2UGV
07-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Good luck Albi. May the Force Be With You, and here's to a speedy recovery.

suddenseer
07-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Let's talk about him now that he cannot reply.:twisted:

NQ6U
07-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Let's talk about him now that he cannot reply.:twisted:

He rites funny. He uses big words that make my hed hurt.

W3WN
07-05-2011, 11:09 AM

Wish me luck.Just be glad that the surgeon isn't Rabbi "Nip The Tip!" Tuckman.

Luck.

W3WN
07-05-2011, 11:15 AM
What's really fun, back in the day when I actually went to concerts, were the people who threw lighted firecrackers that (I hope) were intended to go Bang! in the air, but sometimes didn't and went off in the crowd. What idiots.

So...again Macy's fireworks sucked. Hard to decide which was worse, last year's or this years. IIRC, the fireworks were better last year, but the music really, really sucked. This year the music was marginally better, but the fireworks were, can you dig it?, BORING! There were lots and lots of them, but is was pretty much the SOS -- no real creativity applied. The variety of arial displays was very limited -- like the budget was severly limited. An NBC just can't seem to get it right. All during the display, they put this very annoying and distracting "bug" up in the right corner that said "LIVE." That would have been OK, but it had this animated burning fuse on it. What idiot director thought THAT was proper?

But at least, very early in the show, the sound track included a REAL Stars and Stripes Forever. What they did with that march last year was a mocking travesty. But after that, it was the usual pop garbage performed by the usual pop bots. I'm thinking that the Fourth is probably better put into the "ignore" category along with Christmas and New Year's. Better to be enjoyed in private than with the crap that the media shoves down our throats.Usually we can see fireworks from Dormont, Mt. Lebanon, and Castle Shannon from our backyard, but the weather was a little too cloudy. Wo we watched the City of Pittsburgh/3 Rivers Regatta finale fireworks on Channel 11 instead.

Eh.

Maybe we're spoiled, after seeing so many Skyblasts! from PNC Park. It wasn't bad, just... ordinary. OTOH, we didn't have to fight the crowd (estimated at 500,000... ???) downtown to get home.

WØTKX
07-05-2011, 12:40 PM
The neighborhood was RIDICULOUS this year for fireworks... City of Denver announces "tough stance" on fireworks, and it got a lot worse this year. But, I was working all weekend, and on call for yesterday. Stuff happened, I had to go in, and did not come back home till the idiots went to sleep and stopped the fireworks. My cat is still a little jumpy.

While I was on call, the rule is be available by phone, stay less than two hours away. So I went for another mountain cruise in the Miata. This is in front of an empty VFW hall, with the flag flying, and Pikes Peak in the background. Kinda patriotic, eh? I was wasting gasoline (foreign oil) but got almost 40mpg for the trip (foreign car). :mrgreen:

https://picasaweb.google.com/GreenEyedGrin/ZoomZoom#5625923752611975362

w2amr
07-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Good luck Albert.
Immobilization works great for enzyme applcations, but as far as interactive people go ...sucks for sure. I wish you the best. I have at least had the good fortune to have access to a big old bay window and a roll to the front porch with binocs to look onto the nearby farm. Watching tube gets old real fast (even in the HD mode) and binking on the forums help a bit still it sucks.
Having a nice fam to squelch the rants and self induced ugly moments helps as well.
Installion of my new knee on Wednesday and I'm outta this goddamn chair.
Hang tough...You have my best wishes dude.
Rock on.
rotHoping you get outta that GD chair real soon.

KG4CGC
07-05-2011, 06:59 PM
http://www2.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/5efd606893d4a32b54853e52c9990d0733c8d5545f7298fe01 551cc769730a9a6g.jpg (http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=c2gkl7z749sgchq&thumb=4)

N7YA
07-05-2011, 08:42 PM

Actually, this describes my neighborhood. We live on the extreme edge of town, the only thing north of us is the wide open desert expanse of the Paiute rez, the entire complex is full of Dingdangding's (a "dingdangding" is a pseudo-redneck, the huge truck with all the glittery shit on it, gun packing, rude, spiky hair, affliction shirt wearing douchebags...tons of them around here). These people must be independently wealthy because no less than five different locations just within our gated community were putting up the expensive, heavy artillery. The place was like a war zone, no joke! Pops, booms, flashes, debris falling everywhere...coming from all sides. The dogs were freaked out!

I did what any non-celebratory America-hating-terrorist can do in that situation, i smoked a doob and sat on my balcony and watched until my wife got home.

I forgot to add, there appeared to only be two major fires in the valley as a result, that is a surprise. At least from my view up here on the edge of town...one guy set his house on fire because he wanted to store the used fireworks, but he scooped them up, dumped them all together in a plastic bag and stored them in his garage. He lost his house as a result. Every year, alcohol + ignorance+ a bloated sense of entitlement + explosives = just another holiday in the Vegas valley.

N2NH
07-06-2011, 06:46 AM
Just be glad that the surgeon isn't Rabbi "Nip The Tip!" Tuckman.

Luck.

Does he get to keep the tip?

N2NH
07-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Hoping you get outta that GD chair real soon.

Get well soon ROT. Maybe Gretchen can start making house calls too? Be good for the circulation.

W3MIV
07-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Hope your surgery is successful, Terry, and that you can push that chair (without grandma, of course) over the nearest bluff.

I came away yesterday with a two-inch long boat-shaped patch removed (kinda like they do with plywood nowadays). One small graft inserted in center where the surgeon could not pull the edges together without too much risk of the stitches tearing out. All wrapped up now and no pain -- I wasted my money on the Limbaugh bullets (again), but I am typing now against orders (arm out of sling!). I am on light duty and cannot drive 'til Monday next and must wear a sling -- which, itself, is a real POS. In the BSA, we used to make a sling from a square of cloth -- from that blue bandana we used to wear. This POS has a narrow strap that cuts into my neck under the weight of my arm.

Astounding how utterly RIGHT-HANDED I am. Can't do shit with my left, and I am under orders to do EVERYTHING with it for the next two weeks! It all seems so overly cautious to me, but then my medical degree expired in 1919.

NQ6U
07-06-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm glad to hear you pulled through okay, Albi. Now, get off the damned computer and take care of yourself!

rot
07-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Well...Beers are on me...whores and liquor for all. ;)
I am officially out of the effin chair, just got home today. (actually came home, walked to and rode around on the lawn mower :cool2:)
Buzzing around with a walker...I can do about 10 to 20 free style unsuppported steps on level terrain. 2 day recoup and a week or so of intense In house PT but they got me going.
Falwking amazing how stable this new knee is...I have some other shit going on neural wise so my main man had to tweak some soft tissue to get everything staighetend out. My tibia had rotated about 30 to 40 degrees out (toe out clockwise ???) and the whole structure was blown to shit.
That someitch is dead on now and the patella now moves smooth as silk...Ridin the track. Range of motion is quite good. Lots of tastey drainage, but it is slacking up and not very swollen.

Its hard to fathom how they can do this shit in 10 days. I hold these people in high esteem. They did me right.
Still have a few control/fatigue issues, but I have a bunch of isometrics to work on. My PT guy is a rock climber and splains things really well...cool dude.

I need to drop some poundage..so shooting for 5/month ...do the leg work and a little time should put me back in the game.
Back to the job after Labor Day should be no prob.

Thanks for all the kind words.

1HappyCamper,NC
rotv2(new and improved)

p.s. rock on Albert!

NA4BH
07-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Sounds like you had the best day of all the Islanders. Great news.

Oh, by the way, the Island rugby game is next weekend and you are in the starting line-up. :lol:

WØTKX
07-15-2011, 11:17 PM
Yay for healing! Rehab sucks, but just do it.

Albi, my right hand is still a bit crippled from the motorcycle crash, so I am not so right handed anymore.

'Rot, you said tasty drainage? Heh heh heh. :bbh:

Why you, yooooooooo...

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/1/16/129081654783959889.jpg

KG4CGC
07-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Great fruit, Rotley! I wish you all the best watermelon!

rot
07-15-2011, 11:33 PM
I'll be working on the totally free, stork legged nightime distance yard pee for an early August Benchmark 1.
Set goals man...set goals.
rot

KG4CGC
07-15-2011, 11:37 PM
My urethra is worn out from live birthing all the kidney stones so I don't get enough pressure build up to get any good distance. More like a giant splat. At least I'm in and out of the restroom in under 2 seconds. No one wants to linger around in there anyway. Not good etiquette.

w2amr
07-16-2011, 05:40 AM
Well...Beers are on me...whores and liquor for all. ;)
I am officially out of the effin chair, just got home today. (actually came home, walked to and rode around on the lawn mower :cool2:)
Buzzing around with a walker...I can do about 10 to 20 free style unsuppported steps on level terrain. 2 day recoup and a week or so of intense In house PT but they got me going.
Falwking amazing how stable this new knee is...I have some other shit going on neural wise so my main man had to tweak some soft tissue to get everything staighetend out. My tibia had rotated about 30 to 40 degrees out (toe out clockwise ???) and the whole structure was blown to shit.
That someitch is dead on now and the patella now moves smooth as silk...Ridin the track. Range of motion is quite good. Lots of tastey drainage, but it is slacking up and not very swollen.

Its hard to fathom how they can do this shit in 10 days. I hold these people in high esteem. They did me right.
Still have a few control/fatigue issues, but I have a bunch of isometrics to work on. My PT guy is a rock climber and splains things really well...cool dude.

I need to drop some poundage..so shooting for 5/month ...do the leg work and a little time should put me back in the game.
Back to the job after Labor Day should be no prob.

Thanks for all the kind words.

1HappyCamper,NC
rotv2(new and improved)

p.s. rock on Albert!
http://marshallhuffman.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/633802202918840145-excellent.jpg

W3MIV
07-16-2011, 06:06 AM
Great news, Terry. You'll be amazed at how fast you return to normal life and again find you can do most of the things you used to do. Happy for you!

I am proud to note that my spray nozzle has been swapped out for the original tight-stream model. I am working up to distance again. Wonder if the Guinness Book of Records has a category for... ?