PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to KJ4DAD/AE from Ocala.com...

N2NH
06-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Talk all you want about elmering new young ops, this story has significance and means just as much to the Hamming community...

From Ocala.com, Ocala, Florida:

On May 10, Folsom asked her nephew to drive her to Green Clover Hall in the Marion County government complex, where the Silver Springs Radio Club oversees an evening exam session for amateur radio operators. She wanted to pass the test — not for what came after, but just to prove she could.

A handful of people milled around as Folsom navigated her walker through the classroom to a spot at one of the long tables. Most of the others were waiting to take an entry-level Technician Class license exam, which gets operators on the air; or a General Class license exam, which allows access to a greater number of frequencies available to amateur radio operators.
Folsom had come to take the most difficult exam for radio operators, the Extra Class License exam, which is full of advanced math and electronics. It's not unusual for people to pass it, but few bother to try...

Congratulations Ms Folsom (http://www.ocala.com/article/20110529/ARTICLES/110529707?p=1&tc=pg) or should I say KJ4DAD/AE? (http://www.ocala.com/article/20110529/ARTICLES/110529707?p=2&tc=pg)

PA5COR
06-30-2011, 03:30 AM
Dang!!! Congrats!!

N8YX
06-30-2011, 05:27 AM
:clap:

ki4itv
06-30-2011, 06:22 AM
Don't be fooled by this....
She still works for NASA as a testing engineer, and they're performing experiments related to using the assembled mass of ham radio conventions in the formation of worm holes.

:mrgreen::twisted:

W2NAP
06-30-2011, 02:31 PM
extra test aint no cake walk.

KJ3N
06-30-2011, 03:53 PM
extra test aint no cake walk.

Wouldn't know. Haven't seen it since I passed it in 2006.

Don't remember it being any harder than the 1st Phone back in the 80s. Maybe I got the "easy" version... :chin: ;)

W2NAP
06-30-2011, 04:15 PM

Don't remember it being any harder than the 1st Phone back in the 80s. Maybe I got the "easy" version... :chin: ;)

well i missed it by 1 on the 15th

N2NH
06-30-2011, 04:52 PM

The First Phone I took in the early 70s was easier than the Extree I passed in 2000. Great way to keep the mind busy. When I passed, the VEs told me I aced it and I got one more wrong than she did. I then helped VE the remaining tests that were being taken.

KJ3N
06-30-2011, 08:45 PM

well i missed it by 1 on the 15th

Ouch... :(

W2NAP
07-01-2011, 12:40 AM
Ouch... :(

i expected worse since i didnt really study for extra. figured might as well take it since i spent what little brick dough i had for the damn tests

KG4CGC
07-01-2011, 08:50 PM
I heard she was pretty smart.

suddenseer
07-02-2011, 09:27 AM
First of all, I not that smart. I am smart enough to recognize minds superior to mine. I took the first phone with microwave endorsement in 79 from the same gentleman who administered my general class exam. Mr Fox, W8DX scared the hell out of me, and made me very nervous. I had no problem with the electronics, and radio theory, and practical applications. I severely struggled with the rules, and regs, because they are not based on science but, sometimes political influence. I was forced to memorize a bunch of gibberish that often made no sense to me. When I took the Extra exam in 94, I struggled with the exclusive cw, and phone sub bands. Those are based on arbitrary decisions, not science. I aced the 20 wpm code exam, but missed the written by 4. It would be a safe bet that all 4 missed questions were frequencies, or rules/regs. It appears that KJ4DAD struggled with her physical ailments, but her mind is sharp as a razor blade. She like some of the fine folks here make it look easy. People like me have to struggle, and study hard to make it. I like these kinds of stories.:-D