PDA

View Full Version : New key

W5GA
06-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Scored this little gem at an antique shop this weekend. Paid way too much, but I wanted the Navy knob. It's a Speed-X. Last time I used a straight key was in the early '70's, so this should be interesting. SKN here I come!

KC2UGV
06-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Nice and durable, since it looks like it's all steel (Short of the knob)... Nice find :) You probably paid less than on Fleabay or a hamfest.

N8YX
06-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Got an old Nye Viking as part of an eBay radio deal a couple years ago. Ergos are very close to that Speed-X.

W1GUH
06-29-2011, 10:50 AM
New key? Oh...for sending code....not as if you scored some nookie.

kb2vxa
06-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Well, I got a brand new radio
You got a brand new key
I think that we should get together and try them out you see
I been tuning around awhile
You got something for me
Oh! I got a brand new radio
You got a brand new key

n2ize
07-01-2011, 07:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIFknAdVvNM

ROLLLERSKATES....

suddenseer
07-02-2011, 06:15 PM
I only do skn on new years eve. I have an iambic paddle to handle the rest.

NQ6U
07-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Make it a C♯ major (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-sharp_major)

N7YA
07-11-2011, 07:35 PM
I have about 50 different keys from the late 1800's to modern paddles. I prefer my good old 1966 Vibroplex Standard, sturdy bug with a nice swing to it. For straight keys, i have a bunch. My nicest key is a WWI J6 military key. It was a sparky that was used on the old biplane bombers. I also have some legstrap keys from WWII. I was trying to collect the entire J series until i asked myself 'just what the hell am i doing??'. I have a Ukranian handmade key with wooden parts, thats pretty neat. I also have one made out of an Altoids tin, metal straps and a cabinet knob...keys are fun! CW is my mode of choice, its just more civil there and you tend to get through better, but thats just a knowcoders opinion.

Looks like your SpeedX is in good condx, thats a solid little performer. SpeedX is a good brand. My first bug i got from an old SK ham back in the early 80's was a Les Logan SpeedX, i still have it, but as far as bugs go, nothing beats the 'plex. ;) Mount that thing on a nice oak board and ill keep an ear out for you on SKN! dit dit

...i forgot to add, if you dont have a board, use that rubbery mesh stuff you put in the bottom of your silverware drawer, it works great!

KC9ECI
07-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Scored this little gem at an antique shop this weekend. Paid way too much, but I wanted the Navy knob. It's a Speed-X. Last time I used a straight key was in the early '70's, so this should be interesting. SKN here I come!

Now you're ready to join the SKCC...head over to http://www.skccgroup.com/ and sign up and I'll pay the cost of your lifetime membership in said club.

N7YA
07-11-2011, 08:45 PM
I recommend joining, its a good group...even though its "just a switch" :lol: #410 here! :)

W3WN
07-12-2011, 08:22 AM
SKCC is a nice idea, and more power to you. I have a glass arm on a straight key... I try to send faster than about 15 WPM, and the arm gets very painful.

N7YA
07-12-2011, 08:31 AM
SKCC allows bugs...as long as it has the same basic principles of a manually operated key, youre good to go. :)

W3WN
07-12-2011, 09:18 AM
SKCC allows bugs...as long as it has the same basic principles of a manually operated key, youre good to go. :)Thanks. Sad to say, I don't own a bug right now. I had one (a Vibroplex knock-off) years go, but it was lost in a move.

If I ever do pick one up, it will probably be for display. I've tried, I just never found a bug that suited me.

n2ize
07-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I generally prefer a straight key. Around here "straight key" sometimes means touching two wires together.

kb2vxa
07-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Using a boat anchor with cathode keying that could be a shocking experience.

N7YA
07-13-2011, 03:05 AM
Thanks. Sad to say, I don't own a bug right now. I had one (a Vibroplex knock-off) years go, but it was lost in a move.

If I ever do pick one up, it will probably be for display. I've tried, I just never found a bug that suited me.

No worries, its certainly up to you how you wish to enjoy the hobby, and at what speed. ;) You can still go on over and get yourself a number, you never know what the future holds...and its free.

W3WN
07-13-2011, 10:32 AM
No worries, its certainly up to you how you wish to enjoy the hobby, and at what speed. ;) You can still go on over and get yourself a number, you never know what the future holds...and its free.Well, I've tried. I enjoy copying code, but sending on a straight key or a bug just doesn't work for me.