PDA

View Full Version : Tent poles = portable antenna?

W1GUH
06-27-2011, 08:36 AM
While setting up my tent and putting the poles together, I noticed that they could make an EXCELLENT portable antenna. The ones on my small tent are 12' long...but I'll bet the poles for a family-size tent would be at least 16' long -- that's a full size verticle for 20 mtrs. Base could be as simple as a block of wood with a hole in it.

That plus a few radials sounds like a great and very portable antenna.

PA5COR
06-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Get an fishing rod, we can buy them here ( glass fiber) from 6 to 21 meters long, the last ones are made as vertical for ham radio peeps like us from several manufacturers, and come with guy wires and all.

But a fishhing rod alone should be a good start glass fiber and get a ground anchor for tents, or large sunshades, they come with hole to put the sunshade -pole in.

A bunch of alligator clips and wire, you have your pronto antenna...

W1GUH
06-27-2011, 09:22 AM
The reason that tent poles look so attractive is that they break down into short (< 1', or 0.3048 meters) sections that fit in a back pack. And the shock-cording makes 'em a snap to put together.

Or do fishing poles do this too, now?

NQ6U
06-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Hah—I got a similar idea while setting up my little tent for Field Day. The ones I have aren't rigid enough for use as a vertical without a lot of guying but they'd be perfect as spreaders for a 20m quad.

W1GUH
06-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Hah—I got a similar idea while setting up my little tent for Field Day. The ones I have aren't rigid enough for use as a vertical without a lot of guying but they'd be perfect as spreaders for a 20m quad.

What I noticed about mine is the built in curve made it look just like an element on a yagi when I held it horizontal. Portable 20M beam that fits in a backpack? The possibilities are exciting.

KG4CGC
06-28-2011, 12:56 PM
What I noticed about mine is the built in curve made it look just like an element on a yagi when I held it horizontal. Portable 20M beam that fits in a backpack? The possibilities are exciting.
Tans my Boehner.

KA9MOT
06-29-2011, 09:09 PM
I was thinking they'd work great for a Hex Beam. http://www.qsl.net/wy3a/G3TXQ_Broadband_Hex.htm