PDA

View Full Version : A Field Day QSO

W3WN
06-26-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm quite proud of my guys.

Jim WB4GCS just emailed me a few Field Day pictures, and I wanted to share this one with you:
Now, what's so special about this? Looks just like a typical FD QSO, right?

Well, it's Kevin N3HKQ making a QSO. With Germany.

On 432 MHz EME.

In the course of about 4 months, if that, the gang had the notion to construct an EME array for our mobile trailer-mounted tower, for use at FD and other things, built it, got it operational, and made some Q's with it.

Here's a shot of the EME array on top of the tower...

W9JAM
06-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Congrats, and WOW... I didn't even get to participate... been nursing a knee that my dog pulled out from under me... needless to say, don't try to take a hungry dog out before you give him the food... doesn't go well...

W1GUH
06-28-2011, 07:15 AM
That's some serious operating. Thanks for the pix. How much power?

W3WN
06-28-2011, 07:52 AM
That's some serious operating. Thanks for the pix. How much power?Not sure, I think around 600 W. I'll find out.

N8YX
06-30-2011, 05:33 AM
Very good, and a novel way to get points!

ki4itv
06-30-2011, 06:06 AM
Congrats, and WOW... I didn't even get to participate... been nursing a knee that my dog pulled out from under me... needless to say, don't try to take a hungry dog out before you give him the food... doesn't go well...

:snicker: Yea, feed the pooch first. That way you can kill two turds with one roam. (sry...couldn't help meself)

Jerry
07-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Well - I'm new here, but I can tell you that I made over 150 contacts on 20 meters on field days in about 5 hours, with a Icom 746 Pro and a 3 element beam antenna 20' off the ground at our local club house.

I then drove 60 miles north and participated with another club the rest of that night and the next morning.

My best QSO that weekend was early Saturday morning when I was loading the truck for Field dAys and talked with a guy from Barcelona Spain with the Ranger 2950 and Antron 99 antenna at my house - Pennsylvania. 25 watts! / 10 meters.

I did manage to talk to one European station on 80 meters when someone needed to go for food and let me use his radio for a couple of minutes.
He was working CW with a computer - not really contesting in my book - but anywho - I probably got a lot of peoples attention when I made the entry into the log because they kept asking me if the call sign was right.

I think I made 50 or so contacts on the 10 meters at their shack with a old Radio Shack mobile radio / 100 watt amplifier that didn't work and a di pole antenna.
Not my idea of working a contest on field days.

I tried 40 meters on some guys old junk radio - but there were so many people screaming to be heard I had to shut it off. Almost no one could hear me anyways with all the pile ups going on. I guess everyone else must have either been closer to the contact person or had a amplifier and better antenna or a better radio...

Better luck next year I always say.

KC9ECI
07-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Cool. It's always fun to see what other FD groups get up to. We're a small group here of usually just 3 or 4 and we usually try to do something different each year. Never anything quite this ambitious.

W9JAM
09-23-2011, 10:00 PM
:snicker: Yea, feed the pooch first. That way you can kill two turds with one roam. (sry...couldn't help meself) OK I just now saw that... That was awesome LOL