PDA

View Full Version : It's the time of year for vichyssoise

W1GUH
06-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Don't know if I like Vichyssoise or Gazspacho better on a hot summer's day -- I love them both.

But it's time to whip up some chilled potato-leek soup, recipe courtesy of Julia Child.

Here it is. (http://www.starchefs.com/JChild/html/recipe_02.shtml)

Served ice cold on a hot summer day....mmmmmm GOOD!!!!

AND, I just now learned that Julia Child recipes are on the web. Now I can share them. I was hesitant to quote from one of her books because of copyright issues.

Enjoy!

KG4CGC
06-26-2011, 07:42 PM
I like Cervix.

W1GUH
06-27-2011, 07:55 AM
I like Cervix.

You have a dirty mind. Good for you!!!!!

I tend to stay away from the vicious ones, tho'.

NQ6U
06-27-2011, 12:26 PM
The XYL made something very similar to gazpacho last night and it was excellent, the perfect remedy to a weekend of protein and carb-heavy Field Day food. I'm thinkin' about volunteering to take on the food duties next year; it would cut into my radio time but it might be worth it to come up with some better grub.

W1GUH
06-27-2011, 12:41 PM
The XYL made something very similar to gazpacho last night and it was excellent, the perfect remedy to a weekend of protein and carb-heavy Field Day food. I'm thinkin' about volunteering to take on the food duties next year; it would cut into my radio time but it might be worth it to come up with some better grub.

Maybe needs its own thread, but I'm looking for a Gazpacho recipe with V-8 Juice in it.

n2ize
06-27-2011, 02:21 PM
You can also get vichyssoise in cans like this.

http://www.foodquality.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/fqu/image/FQU_FebMar_2010_pp20_01.jpg

W1GUH
06-27-2011, 02:39 PM
The brand name reminds me of...

Now we take our time, so nonchalant
And spend our nights so bon vivant
We dress our days in silken robes
The money comes
The money goes
We know it's all a passing phase

We light our lamps for atmosphere
And hang our hopes on chandeliers
We're going wrong, we're gaining weight
We're sleeping long and far too late
And so it's time to change our ways
But I've loved these days

Now as we indulge in things refined
We hide our hearts from harder times
A string of pearls, a foreign car
Oh we can only go so far
On caviar and cabernet

We drown our doubts in dry champagne
And soothe our souls with fine cocaine
I don't know why I even care
We'll get so high and get nowhere
We'll have to change our jaded ways
But I've loved these days

So before we end and then begin
We'll drink a toast to how it's been
A few more hours to be complete
A few more nights on satin sheets
A few more times that I can say
I've loved these days

"I've Loved These Times" by Billy Joel from the Turnstiles album.

Why is it that when an artist has a run away smash like The Stranger was, the earlier (and at least just as good) stuff gets ignored?

Back when he wrote great lyrics.

n2ize
06-27-2011, 04:08 PM
I think "Bon Vivant" translates literally to "living well". Of course this was one case where a product sadly didn't live up to its name...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bon_Vivant_Soup_Company (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bon_Vivant_Soup_Company)

Incidentally, Vichyssoise didn't originate in France. If I am not mistaken I think it was first created by a French chef working in NYC for the very reason of creating a kind of soup that tastes good yet is cold and refreshing in the hot weather. I have had it a few times and it is quite good.

W1GUH
06-28-2011, 06:58 AM
I vaguely remember the botulism situation...a long time ago.

n2ize
06-28-2011, 09:55 AM
I vaguely remember the botulism situation...a long time ago.

Yeah, it was back in 1971. I remember it caught my attention because it happened in Westchester County and, I remembered eating that very brand of soup in years past. In addition to the unfortunate poisoning and loss of a life, it was a also tragic loss for the soup company. It was a small, 100 year old family operated business which never had a single instance of food poisioning in its 100 year history.. Yet this one incident rang the death bell for the company. They never managed to recover from it and went under. It also made me scared to eat canned soups for many years afterwards. And every time I hear the word "vichyssoise" that incident comes to mind. I have eaten home made vichyssoise on several occasions and I do like it.

W1GUH
06-28-2011, 10:17 AM
"And every time I hear the word "vichyssoise" that incident comes to mind. "

Me, too. But it's so easy to make, there's no reason to do canned.

BTW, this time I took 5 leeks and nobody noticed.

n2ize
06-28-2011, 10:33 AM
"And every time I hear the word "vichyssoise" that incident comes to mind. "

Me, too. But it's so easy to make, there's no reason to do canned.

In general canned foods are extremely safe. The odds of getting food poisoning of any type from commercially canned foods is extremely small. I no longer have any qualms about opening and eating commercially canned products.

Home canned products are another story. Unless the homeowner doing the canning is extremely careful and takes proper precautions, i.e. proper heating, etc. I would generally avoid home canned foods.

Incidentally in the Bon Vivant Vichyssoise botulism case one of the key problems was that vichyssoise is to be eaten cold. Had it been "chicken soup" or
"black bean and wine" soup which are normally heated, the heat would have destroyed the botulin toxin and nobody would have died. The bacteria itself is not the problem, we eat the bacteria all the time and it doesn't hurt us. It's the toxin that kills and its easily destroyed by heating the soup for several minutes.

But I agree. It's easy enough to make the stuff from ingredients so why even bother with canned.

BTW, this time I took 5 leeks and nobody noticed.

Hah hah !!

KG4CGC
06-28-2011, 10:42 AM
In general canned foods are extremely safe. The odds of getting food poisoning of any type from commercially canned foods is extremely small. I no longer have any qualms about opening and eating commercially canned products.

Home canned products are another story. Unless the homeowner doing the canning is extremely careful and takes proper precautions, i.e. proper heating, etc. I would generally avoid home canned foods.

Incidentally in the Bon Vivant Vichyssoise botulism case one of the key problems was that vichyssoise is to be eaten cold. Had it been "chicken soup" or
"black bean and wine" soup which are normally heated, the heat would have destroyed the botulin toxin and nobody would have died. The bacteria itself is not the problem, we eat the bacteria all the time and it doesn't hurt us. It's the toxin that kills and its easily destroyed by heating the soup for several minutes.

But I agree. It's easy enough to make the stuff from ingredients so why even bother with canned.

Hah hah !!
I heard it was actually a "plant" from Campbell's Soup that came on as an employee that tainted the small company to knock them out of the market. Campbell considered them to be a stiff competitor if they ever grew themselves in the future.

n2ize
06-28-2011, 12:13 PM
I heard it was actually a "plant" from Campbell's Soup that came on as an employee that tainted the small company to knock them out of the market. Campbell considered them to be a stiff competitor if they ever grew themselves in the future.

You know it is funny you mentioned this because right around the same time that the Bon Vivant botulism incident was taking place, Campbell's soup found a few can's of botulism tainted soup in its inventory and immediatly recalled its products. However, unlike Bon Vivant's case, the Campbell's stuff never left the factory and nobody was poisoned. Still it is odd that both companies ran into this relatively rare problem at pretty much the exact same time.

Now, I never heard anything about a stooge from Campbell's getting a job at Bon Vivant just to taint their product and put them out of business. Anything is possible I suppose but I tend to doubt it and write it off as just another conspiracy theory. For Bon Vivant , and for the person who died, it was probably just an unfortunate outcome. I doubt there was deliberate foul play involved.

KG4CGC
06-28-2011, 01:15 PM
You know it is funny you mentioned this because right around the same time that the Bon Vivant botulism incident was taking place, Campbell's soup found a few can's of botulism tainted soup in its inventory and immediatly recalled its products. However, unlike Bon Vivant's case, the Campbell's stuff never left the factory and nobody was poisoned. Still it is odd that both companies ran into this relatively rare problem at pretty much the exact same time.

Now, I never heard anything about a stooge from Campbell's getting a job at Bon Vivant just to taint their product and put them out of business. Anything is possible I suppose but I tend to doubt it and write it off as just another conspiracy theory. For Bon Vivant , and for the person who died, it was probably just an unfortunate outcome. I doubt there was deliberate foul play involved.

I seem to remember a blurb about it in the news in 1972 or 1973.

NQ6U
06-28-2011, 03:03 PM
I never heard anything about a stooge from Campbell's getting a job at Bon Vivant just to taint their product and put them out of business. Anything is possible I suppose but I tend to doubt it and write it off as just another conspiracy theory.

In fact, it was done by an operative from Kraft Foods who'd set out to put both Campbell's and Bon Vivant out of business.

n2ize
06-28-2011, 03:11 PM
In fact, it was done by an operative from Kraft Foods who'd set out to put both Campbell's and Bon Vivant out of business.

And then Kraft Foods tried to pin the blame on General Foods. :lol::lol:

n2ize
06-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Let's also not forget that both Bon Vivant Soups and Campbell's Soups were/are based in New Jersey. Now THAT is a conspiracy if I ever saw one !!!