PDA

View Full Version : odd things when mowing.

W2NAP
06-23-2011, 02:32 PM
so. I am mowing the yard. and at one point I have to do a turn around in the street... all is well till i start turning left.... right front tire goes strait when im going somewhat left....

i couldnt believe the damn tire came off...

PA5COR
06-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Better on your lawnmower as doing 80 in your car taking a corner...

ki4itv
06-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Sounds like...

GRASSCAR.
Mow fast, turn left.
:lol:

KG4CGC
06-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Anything bent?
Besides your ego?

NA4BH
06-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Who's your mechanic? :whistle:

PA5COR
06-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Himself? ( getting my coat on the way out) :chin::rofl:
:spin:

Who's your mechanic? :whistle:

w6tmi
06-23-2011, 04:51 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about someone's mower digging up something interesting (buried treasure, dead body, neighbor's cat etc)

NA4BH
06-23-2011, 04:57 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about someone's mower digging up something interesting (buried treasure, dead body, neighbor's cat etc)

You're thinking of the Casey Anthony model made by Cub Cadet.

KG4CGC
06-23-2011, 05:02 PM
You're thinking of the Casey Anthony model made by Cub Cadet.
Zi ..... oooh.
never mind

W2NAP
06-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Anything bent?
Besides your ego?

everything looks ok. its a old craftsman. pretty tough.

I had been planning to replace that tire and rim this year when i had the extra brick dough to do it to. guess ill be doing that tomarrow

KG4CGC
06-23-2011, 05:22 PM
One flat repaired last year. Slow leak.
One flat repaired this year. Slow leak.
Slimed them both. Oh, both were frontzies.
On the mower. One tire just about came off the rim.
Last year I needed a strong blast of air to get it to seat. Rode up to the gas station. Paid 75 freequin cents for a small amount of air.

W2NAP
06-23-2011, 05:24 PM
yea reason i was going to replace this one was due to a slow never ending leak

suddenseer
06-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Last year I needed a strong blast of air to get it to seat. Rode up to the gas station. Paid 75 freequin cents for a small amount of air.I have had a slow leak on the back tire for 4 years now. I am glad I bought that air compressor. I ride out on the street to turn around, like Tony does. I live in a rural area where the speed limit is 55 MPH. My neighbor lady was killed 3 years ago crossing the street to get her mail. The excitement makes me giddy.

W5RB
06-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Sounds like...

GRASSCAR.
Mow fast, turn left.
:lol:

That thar's funny , I don't care who ya are .

WØTKX
06-24-2011, 09:13 AM
http://www.c64-wiki.de/images/e/e8/Frogger_Animation.gif

W3WN
06-24-2011, 09:23 AM
http://www.c64-wiki.de/images/e/e8/Frogger_Animation.gifAh, the simple pleasures of PC & PC-XT life.

W3MIV
06-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Geeez. I wish I had these problems. I just mowed this morning (ground is hard as the concrete driveway) and all that ever happens to me is the GD Harry Lauder tries to snatch my ass off the seat every time I cut around it.

Boooorrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg .

KG4CGC
06-24-2011, 12:50 PM
I have had a slow leak on the back tire for 4 years now. I am glad I bought that air compressor. I ride out on the street to turn around, like Tony does. I live in a rural area where the speed limit is 55 MPH. My neighbor lady was killed 3 years ago crossing the street to get her mail. The excitement makes me giddy.I hear there is a bad pot hole problem in your area and that those things tend to slow down traffic. Everyone around here knows that 55 means 65 and if you're doing 65 you might as well make it an even 70.

NQ6U
06-24-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm really amazed to find out how many of you have riding mowers. I have to push mine, although as a concession to the twentieth century (now that it's the twenty-first), it is at least equipped with a gasoline engine.

KG4CGC
06-24-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm really amazed to find out how many of you have riding mowers. I have to push mine, although as a concession to the twentieth century (now that it's the twenty-first), it is at least equipped with a gasoline engine.Do you still shave with a bumble bee inside a clam shell?

NA4BH
06-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Do you still shave with a bumble bee inside a clam shell?

:rofl: :rofl:

I read that wrong at first.

kb2vxa
06-26-2011, 04:29 PM
At least you don't worry about the wheels coming off.

n2ize
06-26-2011, 05:46 PM
I had this happen during the winter with my snow thrower. It was icy and freezing and I'm turning to go back up the driveway and in the middle of the street a wheel comes off. What a pain it was hauling that thing with a missing wheel up a steep icy driveway.

suddenseer
06-26-2011, 05:48 PM
That thar's funny , I don't care who ya are .
4277Larry the cable guy is a thief. He stole that line from John Travolta who uttered it in the 1976 film CARRIE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r4R20Ss2Tc

n2ize
06-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Larry the cable guy is a thief. He stole that line from John Travolta who uttered it in the 1976 film CARRIE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r4R20Ss2Tc

I missed Carrie and I missed Larry the Cable Guy. I am really out of the loupe.

KG4CGC
06-26-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm really amazed to find out how many of you have riding mowers. I have to push mine, although as a concession to the twentieth century (now that it's the twenty-first), it is at least equipped with a gasoline engine.
I mowed the shit out of this yard with a 21" push mower for years. It gets old after a few years. If you want to get the job done, when it needs to be done, you quit cryin' and start buyin'.
Actually, like all things, I waited until I had the money. Never bought a damn thing on credit. That's right, Stickin' it to tha man!

W2NAP
06-27-2011, 02:03 PM
same here man, i wont go credit or loans.

also got my rider fixed.

KB3LAZ
06-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Yeah..I once ran over a raccoon that was injured in the high weeds. Didnt know it was there till too late...I felt bad.

W2NAP
06-27-2011, 03:25 PM
bet that was a bloody mess

W3MPS
06-27-2011, 08:39 PM
The dog used to have a "preferred area" in the yard that got mowed rather infrequently. Consequently, things got crappy real fast.

As far as slow leaks in tires go, I had a bead separate from the rim due to one. After an hour of screwing around trying to get the bead to seat I said, "@#$$@($# it, where's the can of ether!"

*FOOMP* problem solved (minus a little hair on my arms)

I've found snapping turtles, some sort of box turtle, and a beaver while mowing the lawn.

NA4BH
06-27-2011, 08:43 PM
I've found a beaver while mowing the lawn.

GOD bless us one and all.

NQ6U
06-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Here's a shot of my cheap-ass lawn mower after a particularly heavy period of spring weed growth.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/choked_mower.jpg

N6YG
06-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Last year I needed a strong blast of air to get it to seat. Rode up to the gas station. Paid 75 freequin cents for a small amount of air.

Okay let me see if I understand this. You have a yard large enough to require a riding lawnmower yet you don't have a garage or shop with an air compressor. Heck I've always had an compressor. The one I'm using now is a 30 year old craftsman that runs on 220. Man they sure built things to last back then! its a twin cylinder 2 stage that has no problem keeping up with my sand blaster. This thing is so quite you can't hear it in the house. Unlike my neighbors Harbor Fright and tool special which sounds like a freight train yet puts out half the CFM and no where near the pressure....

Anyhow Wheels falling off a mower doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence in the mechanical abilities of the individual responsible for its maintenance :snicker:

W2NAP
06-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Anyhow Wheels falling off a mower doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence in the mechanical abilities of the individual responsible for its maintenance :snicker:

GRASSCAR man sometimes it happens

NA4BH
06-27-2011, 10:01 PM
GRASSCAR man sometimes it happens

Rubbin' is mowin

KG4CGC
06-27-2011, 10:06 PM
No. I do not have an air compressor. And?

Okay let me see if I understand this. You have a yard large enough to require a riding lawnmower yet you don't have a garage or shop with an air compressor. Heck I've always had an compressor. The one I'm using now is a 30 year old craftsman that runs on 220. Man they sure built things to last back then! its a twin cylinder 2 stage that has no problem keeping up with my sand blaster. This thing is so quite you can't hear it in the house. Unlike my neighbors Harbor Fright and tool special which sounds like a freight train yet puts out half the CFM and no where near the pressure....

N6YG
06-27-2011, 10:47 PM
No. I do not have an air compressor. And?

The "and" part was in the rest of that post. It wasn't anything personal just an observation. It seems that most people who live on property big enough to require a riding mower usually also have enough room for a small shop to maintain the property.

Personally I don't see how anyone who lives in a home with a large yard can get away without owning at least a pressure washer, air compressor and a chain saw heck I own 3 chain saws. But then again I do have a large Wood burning BBQ... Funny thing is my yard isn't big enough for a riding mower.

Again it wasn't meant as a jab or insult I was just kinda thrown... I always thought owning an air compressor was one of the rights of passage to manhood and home ownership :)

I'm not being judgmental but I Personally just don't understand how anyone can get by without some basic tools. Heck I use my air compressor daily, of course I have a full blown shop with a mill and laithe. I also have a full wood working shop where I build furniture as a hobby and an electronics work bench where I repair radios and play with micro controllers, It's fully equipped with oscilloscopes signal generators bench supplies and loads of prototyping equipment...... I guess I thought most hams who had the space where as hands on as I am, I forget that times are changing and we are progressively moving to a more commercialized consumer base society where the amount of people who maintain and repair their own property and equipment is diminishing.

KG4CGC
06-27-2011, 10:59 PM
I do my own repairs on most things.

NA4BH
06-27-2011, 11:01 PM
The "and" part was in the rest of that post. It wasn't anything personal just an observation. It seems that most people who live on property big enough to require a riding mower usually also have enough room for a small shop to maintain the property.

Personally I don't see how anyone who lives in a home with a large yard can get away without owning at least a pressure washer, air compressor and a chain saw heck I own 3 chain saws. But then again I do have a large Wood burning BBQ... Funny thing is my yard isn't big enough for a riding mower.

Again it wasn't meant as a jab or insult I was just kinda thrown... I always thought owning an air compressor was one of the rights of passage to manhood and home ownership :)

I'm not being judgmental but I Personally just don't understand how anyone can get by without some basic tools. Heck I use my air compressor daily, of course I have a full blown shop with a mill and laithe. I also have a full wood working shop where I build furniture as a hobby and an electronics work bench where I repair radios and play with micro controllers, It's fully equipped with oscilloscopes signal generators bench supplies and loads of prototyping equipment...... I guess I thought most hams who had the space where as hands on as I am, I forget that times are changing and we are progressively moving to a more commercialized consumer base society where the amount of people who maintain and repair their own property and equipment is diminishing.

Now that made me grin. I also have all that stuff. My shop was ripped from my hands when the wife wanted to move. What type of woodwork do you do? I used to make cedar chests and custom shop cabinets. How do you keep the fine dust out of the radio equipment?

You only have one compressor? My motto is, "If I don't have it, you don't need it". And most things (99%) I have two or more of. When I make a sandpaper run, the shelves get cleaned out (the hardware store loves/hates to see me come. But I do leave one on the rack because I don't want to seem greedy). My current work area looks like a bomb went off in it, but I know where everything is.

KB3LAZ
06-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Now that made me grin. I also have all that stuff. My shop was ripped from my hands when the wife wanted to move. What type of woodwork do you do? I used to make cedar chests and custom shop cabinets. How do you keep the fine dust out of the radio equipment?

You only have one compressor? My motto is, "If I don't have it, you don't need it". And most things (99%) I have two or more of. When I make a sandpaper run, the shelves get cleaned out (the hardware store loves/hates to see me come. But I do leave one on the rack because I don't want to seem greedy). My current work area looks like a bomb went off in it, but I know where everything is.

Just one YL though Im assuming. Two falls into the category of you dont need it. xD

KB3LAZ
06-27-2011, 11:32 PM

GOD bless us one and all.

o0 whats wrong with beavers. ...on a side note airport soon I should sleep. :P I hate airports >< .

KK4AMI
06-28-2011, 05:53 AM

I can triple agree with that. I have a small barn that I converted to "The Dog House"! I keep a Mechanics Shop (Rebuilding a 49 Chevy pickup, my reloading equipment and my house and lawn care stuff. With 3 acres of grass, I have a riding lawn mower that I have kept alive for 16 years with my air compressor and tools. Don't do woodworking, I'm all thumbs and I want to keep em'.

rot
06-28-2011, 08:07 AM
I ran over a snake in the field once, slung him out the front end of the bush hog, grazed my arm and he landed about 20 feet in front of me...'bout pissed my pants.
Had to be a low probability event...hated that..like to keep my snake buds around.
rot

KK4AMI
06-28-2011, 08:18 AM
I ran over a snake in the field once, slung him out the front end of the bush hog, grazed my arm and he landed about 20 feet in front of me...'bout pissed my pants.
Had to be a low probability event...hated that..like to keep my snake buds around.
rot

I agree on keeping the snakes. We seem to have less Black Rat Snakes this year, but double the mice, chipmunks and moles.

NA4BH
06-28-2011, 08:19 AM
I'm all thumbs and I want to keep em'.

Get a band-saw, that will solve the thumb thing. :lol:

KK4AMI
06-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Get a band-saw, that will solve the thumb thing. :lol:

Oww!