PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Tools may not be a hot bargain

W5GA
06-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Sears is predicted to go away in the coming year.
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112989/brands-disappear-2012-247

NA4BH
06-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Sad.

kc7jty
06-23-2011, 12:18 AM
I'm dancing with Sears over a bum bed they sold me. Better get the new one quick I guess.

KB3LAZ
06-23-2011, 01:15 AM
I didnt have to buy most of my tools. My dad for some reason has always had multiple sets. So when I was 16 he bought me a case for my Bday and said fill it up. Not had a need to replace any of them.

PA5COR
06-23-2011, 03:17 AM
I always had lots of tools, tinkering with cars, etc, and from the pipefitter/T.I.G. welding time i still have them all, including angle grinders etc.
All quality tools, because my life could depend on it, so i never bought cheap stuff.
Not used much now, but i can't just sell it off, so it'll stay ;)

N8YX
06-23-2011, 03:49 AM
The smart thing for a group of investors to do would be to buy the rights to the 'Craftsman' brand and continue to market quality tools under it. As far as the whole merger fiasco is concerned: K-Mart can piss up a rope.

W3WN
06-23-2011, 07:42 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Sears Holding, which before they bought Sears was the holding company for K-Mart, ran Hechingers & Builders Square into the ground (basically looting them for the shekels to keep the parent company afloat). So why is any of this a surprise?

W3WN
06-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Some of the other items on the list are a surprise. Nokia for one. I hope OH2BH has his retirement invested elsewhere!

suddenseer
06-23-2011, 10:43 AM
I have mostly MAC Tools. I have broken too many Crapsman tools. The lifetime replacement guarantee means nothing if your trying to fix a busted pipe at 1:00 am, and the damn wrench breaks. I have yet to break a MAC Tool, they are TB proof.

W1GUH
06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
I have mostly MAC Tools. I have broken too many Crapsman tools. The lifetime replacement guarantee means nothing if your trying to fix a busted pipe at 1:00 am, and the damn wrench breaks. I have yet to break a MAC Tool, they are TB proof.

Exactly.

Mixed feeling about Sears. Semi-great place for tools, but never liked the general way they did business...well, I'm talking 70's about that.

S-K or Snap-on or what I find at hamfests that look decent from now on.

suddenseer
06-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Exactly.

Mixed feeling about Sears. Semi-great place for tools, but never liked the general way they did business...well, I'm talking 70's about that.

S-K or Snap-on or what I find at hamfests that look decent from now on.Those two are on my 'acceptable list' as well. I have yet to break the Snap On's I own. I admit, I am rough on tools.

W1GUH
06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
The fact that I retired from backyard mechanic'ing a few years ago (to a great sigh of relief), it's a pretty moot question here. It's hard to f-up a tool on a radio!

W7XF
06-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Is K-Fart going to take that swirling trip down the toilet with Sears?? :pray:

W2NAP
06-23-2011, 12:05 PM
just going to be like the rest of things that this nation had. nothing but history.

N8YX
06-23-2011, 07:04 PM
I've never broken a Craftsman tool either...but if you can't get them any longer, I'll start looking at Snap-On and a few others for the stuff I don't currently have and will need. Breaker bars, large metric combination wrenches and T-handle socket wrenches being but a few things on the list.

KB3LAZ
06-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Ive never broken one either. Ive busted my knuckle a few times in tight spots which makes me throw the tool at the wall and it still functions fine.

W5GA
06-23-2011, 09:58 PM
I've never broken one, but I have had their open end wrenches spread and dork up a nut. Never had a Snap-On do that.

w2amr
06-24-2011, 04:13 AM
Those two are on my 'acceptable list' as well. I have yet to break the Snap On's I own. I admit, I am rough on tools.
All my tools in work are snap on. I do break thinks from time to time, but it doesn't happen very often. Something like using a 3/8 drive socket with an adaptor on a 1/2 drive impact gun.

suddenseer
06-24-2011, 06:05 AM
All my tools in work are snap on. I do break thinks from time to time, but it doesn't happen very often. Something like using a 3/8 drive socket with an adaptor on a 1/2 drive impact gun. :shock: Whoa, you don't mess around. I started my collection with MAC because that was the only tool vendor the boss would allow payroll deduction. I have been acquiring Snap On where I am now employed. My company allows 60 day net via payroll deduction. I like getting the tax deduction as well. I love my tools.:heart:

w2amr
06-24-2011, 11:38 AM
:shock: Whoa, you don't mess around. I started my collection with MAC because that was the only tool vendor the boss would allow payroll deduction. I have been acquiring Snap On where I am now employed. My company allows 60 day net via payroll deduction. I like getting the tax deduction as well. I love my tools.:heart:
My box in work is like this, The KR-7100B made in 1994. Except for the worn paint on the edges of the drawers, it still looks like new. I have my boom box in the space top middle. Also plenty of room for cassettes and CD's .
http://img3.classistatic.com/cps/po/100829/155r9/33036ej_26.jpeg

suddenseer
06-24-2011, 04:18 PM
My box in work is like this, The KR-7100B made in 1994. Except for the worn paint on the edges of the drawers, it still looks like new. I have my boom box in the space top middle. Also plenty of room for cassettes and CD's .Excellent!!!:bowdown::bowdown:

W3MPS
06-24-2011, 10:11 PM
My box in work is like this, The KR-7100B made in 1994. Except for the worn paint on the edges of the drawers, it still looks like new. I have my boom box in the space top middle. Also plenty of room for cassettes and CD's .

Flippin' sweet! The newer boxes are pretty cool. I've seen ones with mini fridges that I can keep six packs of........ soda.. and... other things I would like to keep cold in there.

My home box is a mishmash of mostly Craftsman with a smattering of Harbor Freight. Their tools seem to be on par with Sears' at a fraction of the price. They work great for weekend wrenching and keeping the car going.

But, as far as professional tools go, I plan on doing Snap On, Mac, or Matco. It all depends on who's going to have the best price. I'm going to be working on aircraft after college and "great for fixing your lawnmower" just won't cut it when working on airframes or powerplants.

NQ6U
06-27-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm going to be working on aircraft after college and "great for fixing your lawnmower" just won't cut it when working on airframes or powerplants.

A buddy of mine is an A&P mechanic who works on small aircraft (Cessna, Piper and the like). He and most of all the other guys in his shop use Craftsman tools. I was surprised to find that the most oft-used tool in his box is his 1/4" drive ratchet.

W3MPS
06-27-2011, 08:49 PM
1/4" drive is king! I did Blackhawks in the Army and there's all sorts of little pain in the butt stuff to take off with 1/4" ratchets on aircraft, and 12 point fasteners as far as the eye can see. The funny thing is, 75% of the hand tools were Craftsman. The only Snap On stuff was critical items like calipers, micrometers, and torque wrenches.

I'm not going to just rush out and sell my soul to the Snap On dealer either. I intend to work with what I've got now for tools. Eventually I would like to start buying better stuff as money permits. The only real priority right now is saving up and seeing about acquiring either a trade in or repossessed Snap On tool box.

But to get back on track, I think I just found a really nice 500 or so piece Craftsman set I wouldn't mind blowing my Christmas money on.