PDA

View Full Version : So now what?

W3MPS
06-21-2011, 10:44 PM
After my trust old phone's untimely demise over the weekend, I finally made the move into the second decade of the 21st century and got one of these new fangled smart phone Android whatchamacallits.

Ok, cool, I can check email, get on the internet, and play pinball.

Besides providing a new avenue for screwing off at work, what the heck else can I do with it? Oh, and it's the Motorola Atrix, and has some sort of dual core Nvidia thingy for the processor too.

ki4itv
06-21-2011, 11:02 PM
I feel for ya' dude.
They're pulling us further, further, closer into ourselves at every turn.
No matter what you do. Don't look down.
Especially into that phone thingy.
:cool2:

KG4CGC
06-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Pretty much anything you can do on your desktop, except Photoshop. This is the phone that for a mere $400 extra, you can get the laptop that it docks to.

NQ6U
06-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Besides providing a new avenue for screwing off at work, what the heck else can I do with it?

Use it behind a wheel to keep your car from rolling off the jack next time you have to change a tire.

KB3LAZ
06-22-2011, 01:58 AM
Pretty much anything you can do on your desktop, except Photoshop. This is the phone that for a mere $400 extra, you can get the laptop that it docks to.

I tried to run my remote desktop with phones for my server setups (I have 5 hosting servers and 4 data servers) was a no go, using my MSSQL and online data management scripts you guessed it a no go, ofc I cant log into my servers to check on the in game actions but that is to be expected. There is a lot I cant do with a so called smart phone or for that matter there are things I cant do with a tablet pc so I scrapped them both. Taking it a step further even my netbook could not handle what I needed it for in this realm so I had to do a tune up. Removed windows starter, installed windows 7, removed the HD installing one a bit more responsive, and upped the ram to 4 gigs.

For simple business apps a smartphone may hold its weight but not for what I need it to do. Other than that they are a great unneeded acc for the average American. Not to mention the cost of the data packages, bleh. Currently I have switched to Straight talk which runs me 45$ month and I love it. Simple phone, cheap bill, unlimited mins/text(i need this badly lol) and a happy Travis. That paired with my newly ubered out netbook and I am one happy camper.

I was thinking about one of the netbook replacements at 12-13 inches that have a fuller keyboard and more ram capabilities however it trashes the battery life. Not to mention they are running too much cash wise. I can now check my servers, email, in game apps, everything else I need, and take my notes from my desktop at school...

anyway /rant