PDA

View Full Version : General rant...no reply or explanation required

W1GUH
06-21-2011, 12:57 PM
But I GOTTA dump a rant about this.

Who the HELL set the standard, or how the hell did the current de facto "website standeard" happen, already.

(This is not aimed at any particular website and CERTAINLY not the Island -- seems most, if not all websites do this).

It seems that websites are designed assuming:

1) All internet connections are instant
(or...those with slow (where slow = DSL speed) connections don't matter)

2) A website has the right to tie up any machine at anytime.

3) Internet users are idiots.

4) There is only one way to do it....the way it's currently done.

What I'm referring to here is the frequency with which a loading website will completely stymie a computer. Can't close the browser, can't scroll the browser, can't do NOTHING 'til that web page is damned good and ready to release your computer.

It seem obvious that graphics REALLY slow down the load speed of a page, yet page designers don't seem to care -- they'll load up a page with hi-res graphics, etc., and you get to wait while your computer is frozen as the page takes its merry time loading.

Since this happens regardless of the browser -- I've seen it with IE, FF, and Chrome -- does this mean that all 3 use the same load strategy? What earthly reason (except lazy, incompetant web designers) is there for a web page to freeze a computer, or at least the browser? Is this an MS issue and the way it forces designers to load pages? Or is this a function of that cursed Java? Since I see moved windows leave "Java traces" often, it looks like many pages use Java (which, IMHO, should be outlawed, it's got so many issues).

OK rant over....if it's incoherent, that's by design.

Again -- not aimed at any particular site or programmer....just a general rant about web page design I've seen.

W2NAP
06-21-2011, 01:12 PM
javascript and flash I hate both.

NQ6U
06-21-2011, 01:30 PM
What earthly reason (except lazy, incompetant web designers) [...]

No so much lazy as Web designers who want to keep their jobs. And the problem largely is due to gratuitous use Flash. I use something called ClickToFlash which filters out Flash content unless I tell it I want to load. It's amazing how much Flash is used unnecessarily and how much eliminating it speeds up browsing.

W1GUH
06-21-2011, 01:33 PM
No so much lazy as Web designers who want to keep their jobs. And the problem largely is due to gratuitous use Flash. I use something called ClickToFlash which filters out Flash content unless I tell it I want to load. It's amazing how much Flash is used unnecessarily and how much eliminating it speeds up browsing.

Thanks for the tip...I'll be checking it out. And especially thanks for refining my rant -- you said it better than I did.

WØTKX
06-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Because TCP/IP is designed to fail gracefully... as far as the server is concerned.

The MCP is all powerful, you (l)user. :mrgreen:

N1LAF
06-21-2011, 02:43 PM
On Firefox, I us two Extensions... QuickJava and Flashblock. QuickJava allows you to turn off Java and Javascript on demand.

KJ3N
06-21-2011, 03:41 PM
It seems that websites are designed assuming:

3) Internet users are idiots.

Most are.

What I'm referring to here is the frequency with which a loading website will completely stymie a computer. Can't close the browser, can't scroll the browser, can't do NOTHING 'til that web page is damned good and ready to release your computer.

It seem obvious that graphics REALLY slow down the load speed of a page, yet page designers don't seem to care -- they'll load up a page with hi-res graphics, etc., and you get to wait while your computer is frozen as the page takes its merry time loading.

Since this happens regardless of the browser -- I've seen it with IE, FF, and Chrome -- does this mean that all 3 use the same load strategy? What earthly reason (except lazy, incompetant web designers) is there for a web page to freeze a computer, or at least the browser? Is this an MS issue and the way it forces designers to load pages? Or is this a function of that cursed Java? Since I see moved windows leave "Java traces" often, it looks like many pages use Java (which, IMHO, should be outlawed, it's got so many issues).

A link or 2, perhaps? :chin:

n2ize
06-21-2011, 05:09 PM
I don't experience any of the issues you seem to be having trouble with. If a website becomes non-responsive I simply cancel my connection. Then again maybe Windows and IE is different.

Most Internet users are idiots, including myself. I am an idiot for wasting my time using the Internet as anything but a research tool.

W1GUH
06-22-2011, 07:02 AM
On Firefox, I us two Extensions... QuickJava and Flashblock. QuickJava allows you to turn off Java and Javascript on demand.

Thanks, Paul....I'll give those a try.

kb2vxa
06-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Well, better than a web site that looks like a disco ball in the middle of a light show... but not by much. There's always the back button, with any luck I find it before being completely blinded.

So much for MY rant. (;->)