PDA

View Full Version : I NEED YOUR HELP

NA4BH
06-19-2011, 11:42 PM
The wife wants to go on a trip (just her and I, no kids). She said, "Take me somewhere I've never been before". I thought that was easy enough, so I showed her the kitchen. After regaining consciousness, I figured out she meant a vacation. So, where in the CONUS can I take her? We haven't traveled much out West or Northeast (NYC out of the question, been there). So where is a good place to go with stuff to do?

$$ not a big factor.

HELP

VE7DCW
06-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Hmmmmm ......i'd go in the opposite direction...... northwest ....... anything northwest..... :rock:

W2NAP
06-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Indiana?

KB3LAZ
06-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Hum...nothing to see in these parts. :) Cant wait till early spring myself for a little vacation. Pilar and I have planned for a cabin in BFE. Sleeping under the stars, making coffee on the fire, gazing up into the night sky all wrapped up in a sleeping bag and keeping one another warm, sharing one last smoke before bed just to wake up and do it all over again. :) Things that will be absent: computers, cellphones, radios, tv, and ppl. :)

xD Maybe yall can go on a wilderness adventure?

N2NH
06-20-2011, 12:36 AM
wilderness = divorce with most women. Bugs, no soft cottony stuff and no Oprah.

Money no object? How about a vacation in Hawaii? It's not the Hawaii of the 60s-70s, but it's still paradise. If you really have a lot, I'd say a Eurail tour (http://www.eurail.com/home). London, Paris, Berlin and Monaco. But I really like rail travel and it's not for people who like to get there in an hour after a gauntlet of cavity searches...

KB3LAZ
06-20-2011, 12:41 AM
wilderness = divorce with most women. Bugs, no soft cottony stuff and no Oprah.

Never been with one that didnt like the outdoors, even the really prissy girly ones. Pilar likes the outdoors idea. Well, the cabin idea anyway, we have been planning it for quite some time now. She dont like to fish, hunt, hike, or any of that, but the camping itself she enjoys. :)

And I forgot to mention...Ive been to Hawaii and Jamaica, hated both. Will tell ya this much, if you go on a cruise or something of that nature and its an island adventure do NOT leave the resort! Also been to the Virgin islands, hated that too. Our cabin type adventure may be in Alaska, got some friends up there one is like my sister and havent seen her for years.

N2NH
06-20-2011, 12:45 AM
Never been with one that didnt like the outdoors, even the really prissy girly ones. Pilar likes the outdoors idea. Well, the cabin idea anyway, we have been planning it for quite some time now. She dont like to fish, hunt, hike, or any of that, but the camping itself she enjoys. :)

I have yet to find a YL/XYL that enjoys roughing it. Even a little. Some have said they did only to whine ceaselessly - so I don't go there nomore.

Now, plan a vacation at a famous mall (ssssshhhhhhh! I didn't say that.) and you have one happy woman. Florida Mall in Orlando is like that. Hotel and Mall in one. Guys were looking desperate while wifey was making like a bee in the fall on her rapture shopping spree. Did I say the Devil lives in Central Florida? That's proof right there. :P

KB3LAZ
06-20-2011, 12:47 AM
I have yet to find a YL/XYL that enjoys roughing it. Even a little. Some have said they did only to whine ceaselessly - so I don't go there nomore.

Now, plan a vacation at a famous mall (ssssshhhhhhh! I didn't say that.) and you have one happy woman. Florida Mall in Orlando is like that. Hotel and Mall in one. Guys were looking desperate while wifey was making like a bee in the fall on her rapture shopping spree.

Na, she hates to shop unless ofc we go to Ikea. Which isnt a bother, I like Ikea as well. Then again I also like to shop...<<< odd male, I know.

N2NH
06-20-2011, 12:49 AM
Na, she hates to shop unless ofc we go to Ikea. Which isnt a bother, I like Ikea as well. Then again I also like to shop...<<< odd male, I know.

Nope. I fully understand. I like to shop too. Usually at Gamestop, Tiger Direct, AES or HRO. Thankfully, she's a ham too and when she upgrades will be getting a VX-8 too (fingers crossed).

KB3LAZ
06-20-2011, 01:37 AM
Nope. I fully understand. I like to shop too. Usually at Gamestop, Tiger Direct, AES or HRO. Thankfully, she's a ham too and when she upgrades will be getting a VX-8 too (fingers crossed).

Well, I do like AES and Tiger Direct but then again so does she. But I also like Ikea and similar stores. My mother tells me I am worse than a woman when I go shopping, 10 stores to go back to the first one and buy what I looked at in the first place lol.

As for the VX-8, I have a 7 and will prolly pawn it off. It was a mistake of a buy as an HT really does not do it for me. Should have got an 817 in its place but that's just me.

kc7jty
06-20-2011, 01:57 AM
Montreal

N8YX
06-20-2011, 04:51 AM
What are her hobbies? Interests?

Let me know and I'll make a few recommendations for a getaway.

NQ6U
06-20-2011, 07:21 AM
I have spent a lot of time in the Northwest. I say Seattle if she likes scenery, Portland (Oregon) if she likes music. If she likes both, Portland with a side trip down the Oregon coast.

W5GA
06-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Jellystone - go look at the water shooty things.

W3WN
06-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Grand Canyon.

N9FE
06-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Take the train ride across canada. My fav trip "I'll never be able to afford" Starts in the east, And goes all the way to vancover. Banmf or however you spell it is the coolest place i have ever seen.. Frickin beautifull country i'm tellin ya.

Do a search for banff springs hotel.. Purdy chit man !

NA4BH
06-20-2011, 05:19 PM
What are her hobbies? Interests?

Let me know and I'll make a few recommendations for a getaway.

We have only been married for 36 years. It's too soon to know what her hobbies and interests are. :lol:

She really doesn't have any hobbies per se. She likes the sightseeing stuff. I'm thinking Northern CA, OR, WA, Or Maine.

NQ6U
06-20-2011, 05:36 PM
She likes the sightseeing stuff. I'm thinking Northern CA, OR, WA,

Okay, we're getting into the country I know best.

San Francisco is a great tourist town, lots to do and see there although it can get pricey if you're not careful. Most of the long stretch of coastline from immediately north of the Golden Gate Bridge to the mouth of the Columbia River is awesome in the true sense of that word. Stay away from the Napa Valley, it's way too yuppified these days.

Or Maine.

Hah. One of the two states I haven't been in, the other being Alaska.

VE7DCW
06-20-2011, 07:59 PM
We have only been married for 36 years. It's too soon to know what her hobbies and interests are. :lol:

She really doesn't have any hobbies per se. She likes the sightseeing stuff. I'm thinking Northern CA, OR, WA, Or Maine.

If you go to Oregon or Washington .....then just keep going a little furthur north across the border..... lots to see here :agree:

NQ6U
06-20-2011, 08:03 PM
If you go to Oregon or Washington .....then just keep going a little furthur north across the border..... lots to see here :agree:

I concur. Vancouver and Victoria are both nice places to visit. Buchart Gardens in particular is way cool.

KG4CGC
06-20-2011, 08:07 PM
If you want to step into a time machine and go back to the San Fransisco of the 70s, Asheville NC nestled in the Western North Carolina mountains is like a trip back to the past, in the future. The surrounding area has many scenic sites, and sights as well. Not to mention hundreds of restaurants, wineries and microbreweries. There are a lot of things hidden, to see in the mountains but like most trips, you can't do it in just a week.

The river catfish in the NC mountains get to be monsters too, not to mention the pristine trout. The fish hatchery in the Pisgah Forest Cradle of Forestry program was a must see for children of all ages. In the Nantahala River gorge there is a controlled flow river for rafting and whitewater challenges. When the river is turned off in the early mornings and late evenings, the trickle of water makes the trout literally hang themselves on your hook.

EDT: Also if you're into hitting little white balls into a tiny little cup at great distances, WNC has that too.

KG4CGC
06-20-2011, 08:09 PM
I think a trip anywhere would be great. I just hope you have 2 weeks because the first week you're still really just getting settled in.

Happy_Hamer
06-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Gatlinburg TN.

A lot to do and a lot to see.

http://www.gatlinburg.com/default.asp

BONUS, Sevierville TN is right down the road ;)

You know, the home of TenTec, a radio room you can use and a ham radio store and I think they give tours.

http://www.tentec.com/

w6tmi
06-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Jellystone - go look at the water shooty things.

Just watch your picynic baskets.

NQ6U
06-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Just watch your picynic baskets.

Mr. Ranger isn't gonna like that, Yogi.

N9FE
06-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Hey BooBoo.. Wheres my Pick a nick basket.

W9JAM
06-21-2011, 07:51 AM
Indiana? Hey now.... I live in in Indiana... believe me, it's not by choice though...

W1GUH
06-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Can't really go wrong with National Parks.

One place that makes a fabulous vacation is Bar Harbor, ME. First of all, I don't know of anybody who's been there that didn't totally fall in love with that town AND Mt. Desert Island AND Acadia National Park (http://www.acadia.ws/index.htm). In fact, two of the three times I've been there ('58, '72, and '02) once we got there we extended our stay a few days....just couldn't leave. Combine that with a tour through NH (White Mountains) and VT (Green Mountains) and maybe, time permitting, the Adirondacks and you've got one heluva great time. All those are close so the driving times are short.

Accomodation span the whole spectrum....from camping out to full-blown luxury resorts.

PLUS, you may be able to take a ferry to Nova Scotia. Dont' know now...a quick google says that service has been discontinued and that's a pity. Used to have an awesome hi-speed catamaran that was a breat boat ride (About 50 mph over the open ocean) and Nova Scotia is beautiful - for scenery, people, and history.

At the other end of that country, a tour of the major National Parks is always a can't miss. Yellowstone, Glacier, Yosemite, Mt. Ranier, Colorado, Grand Canyon, et al, are, and probably always will be, great destinations. Those are Classic American Vacations!

Back east, the Blue Ridge Parkway between the Smoky Mountains and Shenandoah is a nice drive, with mucho scenery.

Or, if you like roughing it...Isle Royale in the middle of Lake Superior is one of the ultimate destinations AND comes along with a breat boat ride across the lake.

Enjoy!

W2NAP
06-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Hey now.... I live in in Indiana... believe me, it's not by choice though...

indiana the land of empty factories

NQ6U
06-21-2011, 01:23 PM
indiana the land of empty factories

And that big pit on both sides of I-80 west of Gary. Or is that still in Illinois? It's been a while, I forget.

W3MIV
06-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Can't really go wrong with National Parks.

Sure you can. Maryland Route 295, aka Baltimore-Washington Parkway, is a National Park. Try pulling off to the side and camping over night on the shoulder. The Park Police will frown diligently upon your campfire and confiscate your weiners and marshmallows.

KG4CGC
06-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Sure you can. Maryland Route 295, aka Baltimore-Washington Parkway, is a National Park. Try pulling off to the side and camping over night on the shoulder. The Park Police will frown diligently upon your campfire and confiscate your weiners and marshmallows.Yeah, because you might be homeless.