PDA

View Full Version : The first radios I ever built....

W1GUH
06-17-2011, 12:48 PM
You can see them here (http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=159469p). Scroll down to the B&W brochure. The Crystal Radio Kit next to the battery eliminator was the first.

I put it together but couldn't pick up anything. My father had done a few crystal sets & when he checked it out he said the crystal wasn't exactly a good one, so we drove out to a local Radio-TV repair shop for a new one. It worked fine & I could hear the local station, WPON. My father also wrote the Air Champ company to let them know about this. Some time later, can't recall how long, I got a surprise package in the mail. Air Champ had sent me their upgraded crystal set, the Fixed Crystal Radio Kit in the bottom row, between the loudspeaker kit and the one tube radio kit.

This came with no explanation or anything. Guess Air Champ was a real "champ" of a company! That radio worked even better and I fell asleep night after night lisetning to it. That was 1954 when I was in the second grade.

But what I was really lusting after was the Two-Tube radio kit, which I finally got for my birthday in the summer of '55. My first HOLLOW-STATE RADIO!!!
It worked good, too. But it had a problem. It used a 90v B Battery, and those were as expensive as anything back then....3-4 dollars. Needless to say, I didn't get one of those very often. And, invariably, I'd fall asleep with the radio on eventually and then have to wait a few weeks for another baterry. Father ordered 'em from Allied in Chicago. Sure wish I would have known about the "B" Battery eliminator!

Remember my post about the David Seville record, "The Trouble with Harry"? The crystal sets are the radios I heard it on!

A friend found that link for me -- but I also got one of those brochures at Deerfield this spring. Somebody save me the trouble of scanning it.

Also, I practiced a lot of code with that "Western Union Signal Set." Didn't own one, I used them with the Boy Scouts for my First Class. My code practice "oscillator" (not really) was made from a piece of wood, some wire, a flashlight battery and a piece of a tin can. Spent hours at the kitchen table while mom drilled me on the code. I was 11.

KG4CGC
06-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Remember when $7.95 bought a week's worth of groceries for a family of four?

KB3LAZ
06-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Remember when $7.95 bought a week's worth of groceries for a family of four?

Food is free when it is blood. Well I suppose the damnation of your soul is a cost but..:P

KG4CGC
06-18-2011, 09:11 PM
As far as first and built go, when I was 8, I got one of those spring board 30 in 1 electronics kits. Parts mounted on heavy laminated cardboard with the leads attached to springs that you attached point to point color coded wires to. The radio projects were always my favorite! Too bad I didn't know anything about tweaking coils otherwise I could have made it receive more than two stations.

A couple of years later after building a P-Box two transistor radio, I tried doing the same with a handful of parts on a wooden board. Again, too bad I didn't know enough to experiment further with each individual part value.

A couple of years later I built a Heathkit digital alarm clock. My cousin bought it for me from the Heathkit store in Miami when we were there visiting. Yes. I have actually been inside a Heathkit retail outlet!

NQ6U
06-19-2011, 12:03 AM
First radio I ever built was one of these:

http://www.dxing.com/rx/hegr54.jpg

A Heathkit GR-54.
(http://www.dxing.com/rx/gr54.htm)
I was about 14 and, no, it didn't work the first time. My father and I had to go back through it and fix about a million cold solder joints.

kb2vxa
06-19-2011, 04:22 PM
My uncle gave me one of those crystal radio kits, the antenna wire wouldn't reach the tree so it ended up in triangle configuration on the side of the house. Soon I was making my own each with some improvement, even making detectors from scrounged galena potted in scrounged lead. The only station I could get well enough to listen to was WOR which eventually led to my sig line.

BTW, my tongue made a good battery tester until...
"I can not shake the taste of blood in my mouth"
I discovered a 90V B battery was just a little TOO much.

"My father and I had to go back through it and fix about a million cold solder joints."
Sounds like the time we replaced the plumbing in grandma's house. Uncle couldn't sweat a joint to save his life, when we turned on the water it looked like he'd installed a sprinkler system.

w2amr
06-20-2011, 05:32 AM

A Heathkit GR-54.
I was about 14 and, no, it didn't work the first time. My father and I had to go back through it and fix about a million cold solder joints.
My wife's uncle built a Heath 21" color TV. I think it took him 5 years to finish .I've never seen so many parts.

W1GUH
06-20-2011, 07:24 AM
My uncle gave me one of those crystal radio kits, the antenna wire wouldn't reach the tree so it ended up in triangle configuration on the side of the house. Soon I was making my own each with some improvement, even making detectors from scrounged galena potted in scrounged lead. The only station I could get well enough to listen to was WOR which eventually led to my sig line.

BTW, my tongue made a good battery tester until...
"I can not shake the taste of blood in my mouth"
I discovered a 90V B battery was just a little TOO much.

"My father and I had to go back through it and fix about a million cold solder joints."
Sounds like the time we replaced the plumbing in grandma's house. Uncle couldn't sweat a joint to save his life, when we turned on the water it looked like he'd installed a sprinkler system.

What radio(2) used that 90v (more expensive than gold to a 10 year old) battery?

kb2vxa
06-22-2011, 01:00 PM
An Admiral portable that used 1V filament and one 3V tubes with a 7.5V A battery and 90V B battery. At home it plugged in and for running off batteries you plugged the cord into an internal socket. The best part was the loopstick (one of the very first ferrites) in the handle swiveled so you didn't have to turn the whole radio to peak reception. I also used the battery and a couple of NE2 neons to make a rather seldom used CB "goony bird" long before IC chips and noisy microphones so I guess I'm dating myself. Oh, maybe not gold but platinum to a 16yo with working papers. (;->)

W5GA
06-22-2011, 05:38 PM
I built an AM radio in HS electronics, and never got it to work. I still have a Heath handheld DMM that I use...dates to the late 70's/early 80's.

W1GUH
06-22-2011, 05:58 PM

A Heathkit GR-54.

How was that receiver? From the description it sounds like an AR-3 with an RF stage and a product detector. How was sensitivity above 14 Mc?

NQ6U
06-22-2011, 07:05 PM
How was that receiver? From the description it sounds like an AR-3 with an RF stage and a product detector. How was sensitivity above 14 Mc?

I traded it in on an SB-300 about forty years ago so I really can't remember many of the details. However, as I recall, it's limitation was not so much sensitivity as it was selectivity.

KC2UGV
06-24-2011, 09:12 AM
I wish they still made kits like these :(

N8YX
06-24-2011, 05:42 PM
I wish they still made kits like these :(
As do a number of us, but co$t is always the limiting factor. Given that your average SMT-based, synthesized $50 portable will outperform a GR-54 you're not going to interest a lot of folks - with the exception of the 'nostalgia' crowd.

KG4CGC
06-24-2011, 06:13 PM
I'd like to find a kit for AMBCB. Not some cheap ass version of a modern portable for 11 bucks. Something I could do some AMBCB DX with.

N8YX
06-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I'd like to find a kit for AMBCB. Not some cheap ass version of a modern portable for 11 bucks. Something I could do some AMBCB DX with.
Look up the "Spiderweb" receiver project which appeared in an old Elementary Electronics magazine of the late '70s. If I still have the issue I'll make a photocopy for you.

As an alternative: Look for an ITT Mackay 3031A/AR or 3041A/AR. Maybe a 3030A/AR if you don't mind tuning with a decade-based thumbwheel switch arrangement. I have one each 3030AR and 3031A - they are definitely the hot ticket when it comes to AM BC DX. The only features missing are an IF shift and notch filter but one could use an external audio-based unit for the latter.

KG4CGC
06-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Well, I do still have my Hammarlund SP-600. That's one hell of a receiver for AMBCB. I also tune around AMBCB with a Yamaha CT-410II. That's how I made my first Canadian catch. It's the best solid state receiver for both AM and FM that I've ever used.

I was wondering about a kit I could experiment with. Probably more of a Winter project. These days I'm riding and reading up of scooter mods. Just found a service manual so I'm thinking of attacking the valve lash and the drive belt. I'm pretty sure that 15,000 miles that they claim the belt is supposed to last is an exaggeration. It might go that long, but not well.

W1GUH
06-26-2011, 06:13 PM
As it turns out, I got more than just a brochure at Deerfield. I got the whole manual for the one-tube radio. Am going to scan it for the web (looking for a round tuit now). That would make a fun project....especially the part about finding the parts at hamfests. It's construction is fahnstock clips on a piece of plywood. Doubt that DX'ing is what that'll be good for, tho.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/cemirror/inv/S-H11-4034-TH.GIF

W3WN
06-28-2011, 02:35 PM
I saw an article in CQ for a one tube "peanut whistle" crystal controlled transmitter. 117N7GT tube, designed so that it didn't need a transformer or anything else.

I was young enough to not know better. I used a cardboard shoebox. All I had available at the time.

Damn thing worked, too.

However, nothing was soldered (my dad didn't trust me with a soldering iron then... well, at least not his, but he used them to create sculptures, not fix electronics, can you say "acid core solder"?) and my younger brother had to play with the wiring... first time I ever blew up some electrolytic capacitors.

One of these days, I need to find that schematic and rebuild that. I already have another tube, I do need to find a socket for it...

On Edit: A little research reminded me that the article I was referring to was called "The Peanut Whistle" and it was in the August 1965 issue of CQ. Never did find a copy of the article, though.

...and, no sooner do I post that, a quick search finds a copy on eBay for a couple of bills. I remember the issue now, it featured astronaut Owen Garriot W5LFL on the cover. Should have it in a couple of days...

KG4CGC
06-28-2011, 02:43 PM
I saw an article in CQ for a one tube "peanut whistle" crystal controlled transmitter. 117N7GT tube, designed so that it didn't need a transformer or anything else.

I was young enough to not know better. I used a cardboard shoebox. All I had available at the time.

Damn thing worked, too.

However, nothing was soldered (my dad didn't trust me with a soldering iron then... well, at least not his, but he used them to create sculptures, not fix electronics, can you say "acid core solder"?) and my younger brother had to play with the wiring... first time I ever blew up some electrolytic capacitors.

One of these days, I need to find that schematic and rebuild that. I already have another tube, I do need to find a socket for it...
I found one of those 30 in 1 kits a few years ago from RS at a garage sale for $2. It had the parts mounted inside little clear plastic cubes that popped into place. They had open bottoms to help them fit into the board/frame better. I made a little AM transmitter that broadcast all the way down to the LW aviation beacon band! Whoops! I thought I was on 1590, and I was. I was also clear on 290 as well. Two double A batteries so let's hope it was just a house-wide thing with the little antenna I had.

KG4CGC
06-28-2011, 02:55 PM
http://books.google.com/books?id=ticDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA200&lpg=PA200&dq=crystal+controlled+transmitter+117N7GT+tube+sch ematics&source=bl&ots=hxveYMFcxc&sig=Wd7vKZMuK3abYcHTsjcYPutdD8s&hl=en&ei=XjAKTtGhH4GUtwejs9hb&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.indianapolis.net/QRPp-I/QRPp-radios.html

http://members.fortunecity.com/xe1bef/qrp-projects.htm

I don't know all the names that what you're looking for could possibly go by but perhaps your searching skills would be enhanced with ... I don't know ... I'm a stump.

NQ6U
06-28-2011, 03:18 PM
I found one of those 30 in 1 kits a few years ago from RS at a garage sale for $2. It had the parts mounted inside little clear plastic cubes that popped into place. They had open bottoms to help them fit into the board/frame better. I made a little AM transmitter that broadcast all the way down to the LW aviation beacon band! Whoops! I thought I was on 1590, and I was. I was also clear on 290 as well. Two double A batteries so let's hope it was just a house-wide thing with the little antenna I had.

Maybe not...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-09-20-sc-plane-crash_N.htm

KG4CGC
06-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Maybe not...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-09-20-sc-plane-crash_N.htm
Yeah, my story occurred 10 years prior to that, but keep looking!

NQ6U
06-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Yeah, my story occurred 10 years prior to that, but keep looking!

Okay, how about this one (http://www.planecrashmap.com/plane/sc/N2709W), then? ;)

KG4CGC
06-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah. Those things send out engine jamming waves at low frequencies.

w2amr
06-28-2011, 05:15 PM
This is a little home brew HF station that I scratch built years ago . It works on 160, 75/80, and 40 meters. The transmitter on the right is a 6L6 crystal Oscillator. The receiver on the left is a single tube 6SN7 regen. The unit in the middle is a two tube audio amp/power supply for the receiver. The transmitter was built on the chassis of an old Heath lunch box. The receiver and audio amp/power supply were bread boarded. I made the front panels from the doors of an automotive parts cabinet. I can use the transmitter on AM by running the modulated B+ from another lunch box right to the plate of the 6L6.

NQ6U
06-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah. Those things send out engine jamming waves at low frequencies.

Oh, sure, go ahead and duck your responsibility.

KG4CGC
06-28-2011, 05:37 PM
This is a little home brew HF station that I scratch built years ago . It works on 160, 75/80, and 40 meters. The transmitter on the right is a 6L6 crystal Oscillator. The receiver on the left is a single tube 6SN7 regen. The unit in the middle is a two tube audio amp/power supply for the receiver. The transmitter was built on the chassis of an old Heath lunch box. The receiver and audio amp/power supply were bread boarded. I made the front panels from the doors of an automotive parts cabinet. I can use the transmitter on AM by running the modulated B+ from another lunch box right to the plate of the 6L6.
4296That's a sweet looking rig.

w2amr
06-29-2011, 03:46 AM
That's a sweet looking rig.
Tnx Charles
Here is a close up of the receiver.

N8YX
06-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Very nice. I want to construct a multiband, solid-state all-mode transceiver/receiver combo some day but the bike homebrewing tends to take all my free project time.

w2amr
06-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Very nice. I want to construct a multiband, solid-state all-mode transceiver/receiver combo some day but the bike homebrewing tends to take all my free project time.Time to re arrange your priorities:mrgreen:

W3WN
07-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Damn thing worked, too.

On Edit: A little research reminded me that the article I was referring to was called "The Peanut Whistle" and it was in the August 1965 issue of CQ. Never did find a copy of the article, though.

...and, no sooner do I post that, a quick search finds a copy on eBay for a couple of bills. I remember the issue now, it featured astronaut Owen Garriot W5LFL on the cover. Should have it in a couple of days...Issue came yesterday. Sure enough, Owen Garriot W5LFL on the cover, and the 3 watt one tube peanut whistle transmitter inside.

Just what I need, another project. But this will be a fun one, I hope!

n2ize
07-17-2011, 07:55 PM
The first tube radio I ever "built" was a kit for a 3 tube regenerative receiver from a kit company called Graymark. The entire thing was chassis wired. I built it in an afternoon. In addition to wiring all the components, they gave three coil forms and a spool of enamled wire. You had to wind and solder the plug in coils. 1 for the AM Bcash band and 2 for segments of the HF spectrum. By evening I was listening on it and it was pulling in stuff from all over. Then I hit the 75 meter phone band and I heard for the first time in my life the great East-Northeast / New England AM sound !! I heard for the first time some great call signs like Steve/WA1QIX, Pete/WA1SOV, Dirk/WA2CYT. WA1HLR/TimTron, Ed/WA3PUN, Chris/WA2OMH and a few others. Years later I finally got to join them on the aire. But, it all started with that little 3 tube regen kit.

The first transmitter I ever built (in 1974) was a two tube 40 meter CW rig. It was entirely scratch built up from a schematic. I spent most of the spring and summer scouring the local Radio Shack, Lafayette radio, Canal Street for the parts I needed. I ordered the crapstals and the B&W Coil stock from a company called "Trigger". When finished I got it to power up but I could never get it to oscillate properly. In those days I didn't have enough experience in laying out RF circuits so it was very unstable.