PDA

View Full Version : Why all the browsers

W5GA
06-17-2011, 09:51 AM
I've noticed that several of you run multiple browsers (on one machine?). Is there a reason?

W5RB
06-17-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm curious how you've noticed that . I prefer Google Chrome for most things , find it's tabbed display and other features work well with my aging hardware and WinXP . I keep IE available because there are still a few bits of Java out there that Chrome just doesn't cope with , like certain pages of the hamfest table reservations on msham.org , for example .

On the other machine in the house here , I also have Firefox , other family members share that station , and have their own favorites .

W1GUH
06-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Well, guess ya gotta use IE to download FF and Chrome.

And I learned in Dayton that FF doesn't work with at least one hotel/motel server, but Chrome does.

Guess that's my reasons for occasionally using IE or Chrome. Mainly stick to FF.

WØTKX
06-17-2011, 11:37 AM
I use Chrome for most things now, especially personal webmail and such. Firefox is still a big deal, especially for media sites... Flash, video, etc. IE is used to stay hooked up at work, MicroSquish centric shop. And Safari, because I use an iPhone. Multiple logins from multiple browsers... happens. 'GpL would say it's because I'm Foole.

W3WN
06-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Micro$oft has made it almost impossible to remove IE. You can remove most of it, but some components are so buried within the OS (and used by other parts) that they can't or shouldn't be removed.

It didn't have to be that way, but that's another story.

W2NAP
06-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Micro$oft has made it almost impossible to remove IE. You can remove most of it, but some components are so buried within the OS (and used by other parts) that they can't or shouldn't be removed.

It didn't have to be that way, but that's another story.

i found a way to remove it. I installed linux :P

KG4CGC
06-17-2011, 04:14 PM
I can't explain the use of all the brownosers.

W5GA
06-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm curious how you've noticed that .
Just from reading posts, I'd see that someone would use Chrome for this, FF for that, etc.

W2NAP
06-19-2011, 02:47 AM
Just from reading posts, I'd see that someone would use Chrome for this, FF for that, etc.

I pretty much use FF for everything.

n2ize
06-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I primarily use Opera. It runs great, its fast, quite stable, and I like the design of the interface. I also like the "speed dial" feature, particularly because I rarely use bookmarks. I also use Firefox and Chrome once in a while because there are those rare occasions where one browser may handle something better than another. For example there are a couple of things that Firefox does better than Opera and a couple of things where Opera outperforms Firefox. But, in general they are all pretty much the same. My preference is however for Opera. It's highly configurable and has a large add on base. matter of fact I'm using it right now.

As far as "why so many browsers" ? well, I like to try out different softwares and find out which I prefer and how they compare. In addition to multiple browsers I also install multiple media players, multiple,editors, office suites, etc.

We are also Nix* based here. Although Windows is available as a desktop OS for those who want it.

kb2vxa
06-19-2011, 04:42 PM
A couple of days ago I discovered Google Earth went AWOL (?) so I downloaded the latest version but when the installer was through I had Chrome as my default browser and no Google Earth. WTF? I had to uninstall Chrome and reset Firefox to default, then install GE from my installer archives, what a pain in the crotch! To the subject at hand; I don't bother juggling browsers because FF with my selected add-ons does everything I need it to do.

KB3LAZ
06-23-2011, 02:32 AM
I started playing around with Google chrome but it pisses me off. I dont like to save history, I hate auto complete (it says you can turn it off but doesnt seem to work), and incognito mode is a joke. Chrome seems to be more light weight than FF and is not near as much of a resource hog so I like it for my netbook. It seems to have good response time as well. However, I will stick with FF on my laptop until google allows me to configure my browser the way I want it.

W1GUH
06-23-2011, 07:19 AM
A couple of days ago I discovered Google Earth went AWOL (?) so I downloaded the latest version but when the installer was through I had Chrome as my default browser and no Google Earth. WTF? I had to uninstall Chrome and reset Firefox to default, then install GE from my installer archives, what a pain in the crotch! To the subject at hand; I don't bother juggling browsers because FF with my selected add-ons does everything I need it to do.

Sounds like Google bought Real player! :twisted: Or at least hired a few of the pricks that make Real Player assume control of one's machine.

KG4CGC
06-23-2011, 10:28 AM
The talk of Google Earth got me to go take a look to see if it was still there. Last time I used it was to fly cross country, virtual.
I noticed the "Weather" button on the left. DAMN! Accurate and up to date! I had no clue it could do that.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/c2a23b88.jpg

KC2UGV
06-24-2011, 09:11 AM
I've noticed that several of you run multiple browsers (on one machine?). Is there a reason?

I prefer Chrome, sometimes IE is the only one that works (Stupid web developers), and Firefox has a great web developer debugging toolkit I need.

n6hcm
06-27-2011, 03:30 AM
I prefer Chrome, sometimes IE is the only one that works (Stupid web developers), and Firefox has a great web developer debugging toolkit I need.

ditto. even on my phone i have several browsers. i thought the web was supposed to be standards-based! (not responsible for liquids spat out onto your screen/keyboard/s.o./...)