PDA

View Full Version : Geese for the hungry!

W1GUH
06-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Geese caught in NYC will be fed to hungry in Pa (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110616/ap_on_re_us/us_geese_food_banks?bouchon=501,ny).

I'd heard that that kind of goose is too gamy to eat...guess I heard wrong? Or is it not too gamy for hungry people?

NQ6U
06-16-2011, 01:18 PM
I'd heard that that kind of goose is too gamy to eat...guess I heard wrong? Or is it not too gamy for hungry people?

Wild goose is quite tasty. Very lean, too, compared to farm-rased.

W3MIV
06-16-2011, 01:57 PM
As with most other game, where the goose lived and ate is the greatest influence on its flavor. Around here, most of them are residents, and they are living high on the hog eating grains and soy beans for most of the warm season. Farmers loathe them. Home owners in areas of high density find goose turds to rival those of a medium-size dog, and a small flock can lay out a mass of shit on a lawn you would be hard-pressed to believe. Can't just shoot 'em, though; they are a protected, federal wildfowl with restricted seasons and limits.

Life ain't fair.

W3WN
06-16-2011, 02:43 PM
People complain about the geese; their droppings, the nasty way they go after people, the way they chase out the ducks and other bird species, the way they multiply.

So a local municipality announces that they're going to bring in some professional sharpshooters to thin out the geese. Now the animal rights nutz have a field day.

Can't win.

kc7jty
06-16-2011, 03:02 PM
One of the best culinary experiences for me was a Canuck honker shot in NW Montana, cooked in a marinade (not heated) and served in this guy's palace home at a singles party in Kalispell. It was an extremely dark maroon/purple.

WV6Z
06-16-2011, 04:24 PM
The guys palace, Kalispell or the goose?

KG4CGC
06-16-2011, 04:29 PM
None of the above. He was talking about his rectum.

kc7jty
06-16-2011, 04:53 PM
mercy

KG4CGC
06-16-2011, 04:56 PM
mercy
And a possible thread killer to boot ... or should that be, ''booty?"

kc7jty
06-16-2011, 07:24 PM
any thread killin b done by u.

W1GUH
06-16-2011, 08:20 PM
None of the above. He was talking about his rectum.

Whose? The goose's or 'jty's?

W1GUH
06-16-2011, 08:22 PM
'miv said:

Can't just shoot 'em, though; they are a protected, federal wildfowl with restricted seasons and limits.

Ain't that crazy? So frequin' many of them that they're not only a nuisance but a hazard. She-heee-it, I say harvest 'em for food and kill two birds (ahem) with one stone.

KG4CGC
06-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I apologize for my rectum comment.
I think it's a filter issue.

NQ6U
06-16-2011, 09:16 PM

Must be either the palace or the goose. I remember Kalispell as being brown.

W3MIV
06-17-2011, 06:01 AM
I remember Kalispell as being brown.

And muddy in winter.

W1GUH
06-17-2011, 06:53 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I apologize for my rectum comment.
I think it's a filter issue.

Ok...maybe I should follow the lead of our esteemed bartender and apologize for quoting it? :quiet::nono:

N9FE
06-17-2011, 06:32 PM
Bring the bastids over here. They will gutted plucked and in the freezer in minutes. There ARE people in this world that don't have shit, Like myself. If my friends did not donate deer, elk and moose meat to me i would not have any meat at all. Beef at 13 dollars a pound, 3.75 for ground.. Just ain't happening on my budget.

N2NH
06-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Bring the bastids over here. They will gutted plucked and in the freezer in minutes. There ARE people in this world that don't have shit, Like myself. If my friends did not donate deer, elk and moose meat to me i would not have any meat at all. Beef at 13 dollars a pound, 3.75 for ground.. Just ain't happening on my budget.

There was this large park in Staten Island (one of NY's boroughs) that was overrun with geese. There were so many that you had to be careful and walk around them. A few were larger than most dogs. The problem was that there was a resevoir in the park and the geese turds were fowling it up... um, fouling it up. The locals got their councilman to bring in a trapper, but some bleeding hearts from the other side of the island made a stink. Before anything could be done, it was winter and a real cold snowy winter at that. Many of the geese wintered at the park and did not fly south in the fall. The park is one of the highest points on the Atlantic coast and as cold as it was in the city, it was much worse there.

That winter was bitter cold, even for this area. We also had a very high snowfall. When the snow melted in the spring, clean up crews had to go through the park which was littered with geese carcasses now rotting as the snow melted and temperatures rose. Within two years, there were no more than a couple of dozen geese left in the park and that's how it is now.

This is a much better idea. But why not use it to feed the homeless here in NYC? It's not like we don't have them.

n2ize
06-18-2011, 11:56 AM
So we creat a screwed up economy, we send all out jobs overseas, we spend all our money on wars, we create a huge homeless problem and then we make it up to them by offering to feed them meat from exterminated geese that would otherwise be crashing planes ? How wonderful we are. No wonder this country is so screwed up to the point that I almost want to get outta here.

Hey, we got no job or home for you nor much left in the way of social services (because we cut it from the budget so we can kill people overseas) but we are willing to serve you some exterminated meat.

God Bless America.

KG4CGC
06-18-2011, 12:46 PM
So we creat a screwed up economy, we send all out jobs overseas, we spend all our money on wars, we create a huge homeless problem and then we make it up to them by offering to feed them meat from exterminated geese that would otherwise be crashing planes ? How wonderful we are. No wonder this country is so screwed up to the point that I almost want to get outta here.

Hey, we got no job or home for you nor much left in the way of social services (because we cut it from the budget so we can kill people overseas) but we are willing to serve you some exterminated meat.

God Bless America.↑↑ This ↑↑

kb2vxa
06-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Considering what NYC geese have to eat they must have something against the poor in Pennsylvania. Health wise it makes more sense to feed the NYC poor on Pennsylvania geese. Chasing the wild goose eh? They're illegal aliens, just shoot them. I'd say grind them up for dog food but then I'd have pity on the dogs.