PDA

View Full Version : Employment Poll, yea or nay

KG4CGC
06-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Who here has a job or at least regular work. I'm just looking for numbers and you can remain anonymous. I'll include a section for part-time.
If you wish to discuss your circumstances, that is OK too.

PA5COR
06-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Simple add the numbers yourself.
Partially disabled ( back) and recieve the benefit money for that, i was insured for it, doing part time jobs for fun/money, wife and son full time jobs.
When i have a bad ( back) week, i can stay at home, if i feel well, i'll pick the part time jobs i like mostly through a M8 of me who has his own company.
I'm almost 59, worked mostly weeks of 60 - 90 or more hours except the 3 years in service of Her Majesties Customs as officer.
I must say that i start to like it to live like this, took me long enough to ween of the working crazy.
Added bonus, time for the hobby ;)

W1GUH
06-15-2011, 02:21 PM
"Dammit sorry, just delete this. I can't get the poll function to work !!!"

Delete Dupe?

KG4CGC
06-15-2011, 02:22 PM
I appreciate you willingness to be totally candid but I wanted to allow anonymity for those who wish to do so.

rot
06-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Full Time Same Employer (Novozymes) for 28 years. Sr Chemist
Currently on short term (6 months) diability with Full pay and benefits.
I'm still in a few current projects from home base.
5 weeks vac plus a bunch of holidays.
Danes have been very very good to me and my family.
Not travelling much these days, but hope to get back to CPH in the future.
Second home of sorts.
rot

W4GPL
06-15-2011, 04:42 PM
I added a poll, did I miss any options?

KG4CGC
06-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Thank You! That's great and even more detailed than I was intending in the first place.
Thank you very much!

OK everyone, proceed!

NQ6U
06-15-2011, 05:15 PM
I added a poll, did I miss any options?

Yes:

"W-w-w-w-work?!"

W3MIV
06-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Delete Dupe?

Do that and we lose the Republicans on board.

W3MIV
06-15-2011, 06:23 PM
I am retired. I have earned retirement, despite the continued pressures from the still-working xyl to handle assignments for her. (I am now writing a CEO letter for an annual report that the CEO cannot manage for himself.)

My first job was in 1959. I went full-time in 1961. I worked my ass off (current appearances notwithstanding) rising from a undereducated HS grad to Senior VP of a publishing firm. Then I went out on my own and was self-employed for the last twenty-five years. I have had it up to my f*ckin' neck with work. Capisce? I have earned a rest. I have paid my f*ckin' taxes, both sides of FICA, and now I want to be left alone to wander my sacrifice lot and nimble some f*ckin' grass. MY grass.

But can I do this? NO! I have to keep looking over my shoulder for some sniveling Republican who wants to cut my Medicare bennies or refuse my COLA while he or she gets a raise.

You can't go home.

N8GAV
06-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Just started drawing my long term disability insurance from work. After they take out my Health care, Taxes, ect. I get 80% of what I make. I get a 40% disability rating check from VA and xyl works. We are not "Living The High Life" and things are a little tight at times, but still have are heads above water for now.

KB3LAZ
06-16-2011, 11:34 AM
I have multiple sources of income atm. I will group them into two self employed categories and two standard jobs one full time and one on as needed basis. One self employment sector would be my online businesses which standing alone dont make me much but after the monthly take is added it is about 1000$ give or take a month. The other is the greenhouse business which my mother abandonment and I started playing around with. It brings in about 12k$ a year profit tbh not worth her time but well worth mine. Also, I have started playing around in the meat rabbit business but for now that will stay a hobby so to speak. I am also working in logistics and as a security guard. I win! :)

suddenseer
06-16-2011, 02:11 PM
I got some seeds that would make fine plants in your green house.

WB0LSR
06-16-2011, 02:13 PM
I count myself among those who are very fortunate to have full-time work these days.

WV6Z
06-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Well my dad steered me in the right direction and as he was a brilliant man, a toolmaker, electrical engineer and a mechanical engineer, and saw that I was quite dim, he suggested I try plastics rather than creating the tooling to 'fashion' plastics.

My career has been quite good and with the exception of a four month dry spell starting in November of '08, it has always paid the bills and fed the crew here. I worked my way up the ladder and am now working my way back down it as I prepare to wind down a bit. I can't think of anything, or I should say, any position that I have not filled in an injection and or blow molding facility over these past 33+ years and it has been a fun ride. My claimed hat is that of process engineer, my specific job now is that of production supervisor. I have gone from road warrior to homebody and at this point in my life, which for some reason now includes the thrills and fun of a deep dark depression where the light at the end of the tunnel has diminished completely in to the abyss, I am quite glad that a few hours of time behind the windshield is not in the mix.

Am I ready for retirement yet? No, not really....... I haven't managed to stash away a ton-o-cash for retirement yet so I will continue to keep the plant rolling through the night for these folks for as long as they will let me or until I win the lottery, or I die, whichever of the three comes first. One scenario is next to an impossibility, one is wishful thinking and the other is the inevitable. All of this bullshit over 3 + decades for an empty bank account, gray hair, two weeks off a year and life in suburbia. Fuck me........ what the hell was my dad thinking when he moved us over here..........

KG4CGC
06-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Not uncommon, Tom. Many people formerly in the fields that figure out the product for the people on the line in front of the machines to actually produce, are now finding themselves in front of the machines. There is a sales associate at Radio Shack in Easley who is in his 50s who spent his career as an EE but due to the job market RS is the only work he can find.

Sure, SC is creating more jobs but more and more it is becoming clear that the new jobs are all grunt work. Now we have degreed grunts competing with career grunts. However, don't let the published numbers fool ya. That new electric bus company that was going to bring 1000 jobs has been fraught with lawsuits and only able to produce 50 jobs.

KB3LAZ
06-16-2011, 05:34 PM
Not uncommon, Tom. Many people formerly in the fields that figure out the product for the people on the line in front of the machines to actually produce, are now finding themselves in front of the machines. There is a sales associate at Radio Shack in Easley who is in his 50s who spent his career as an EE but due to the job market RS is the only work he can find.

Sure, SC is creating more jobs but more and more it is becoming clear that the new jobs are all grunt work. Now we have degreed grunts competing with career grunts. However, don't let the published numbers fool ya. That new electric bus company that was going to bring 1000 jobs has been fraught with lawsuits and only able to produce 50 jobs.

There were a lot of jobs "created" in pa as well...all under 32/hr a week and minimum wage ofc. Take a guess as to where..MD, Burger king, walmart, etc. Some would say that any job is better than no jobs and I suppose that is right but I wouldnt want to try to raise a family on that.

N9FE
06-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Worked 22 years with one leg gone, five years before that.
Ran heavy equip and ran dump and concrete mixer for hiway paving. Had 11 spine surguries during that time. Welded solid now, 4X12 inch plate in bottom spine and 4X5 inch plate in neck to make it an even dozen surguries. Worse day in my life when doc said your screwed.. No more work for you. Now just pills to make it day to day..

suddenseer
06-16-2011, 07:50 PM
I am lucky. I have a job at a very large French owned company. I used to be an automotive quality engineer, and worked on the side as a cmm programmer in cad environments. I could work 100 hours a week if I wanted to back in the 'good old days'. One year, I actually cleared 6 figures, but paid a heavy price for being gone all of the time. 4 years ago, the bottom began falling out in the Dayton area manufacturing base. All of a sudden, I found myself in the company of a huge group of automotive quality engineers, unemployed. By sheer luck I found an inspector's job at a very old Dayton firm owned by a very large aforementioned French owned company. I had not punched a time clock since I was a kid. I am now a union member. I have learned to adjust to 66% of the old income, as well as culture shock. But the job is very easy, and almost stress free. I have had enough stress in my personal life, and it is a plus to not have it at work. My company has reimbursed me for all of the night courses I am taking to enhance my almost worthless bible college degree. I have been reintroduced to playing the bass guitar, and now am looking for a cheap dog house. I have been invited to rehearse with my dad's band. My life seems to be headed elsewhere. I have learned when one door closes, one has to look for other doors. They may not open at first, but one has to go look. The other side of the door my take one to amazing places.

ka4dpo
06-16-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm retired and I like it. I can do whatever I want whenever my wife says I can.

KB3LAZ
06-17-2011, 03:20 AM
I'm retired and I like it. I can do whatever I want whenever my wife says I can.

Jealous! My YL wont just tell me what to do QQ!

w2amr
06-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Who here has a job or at least regular work. I'm just looking for numbers and you can remain anonymous. I'll include a section for part-time.
If you wish to discuss your circumstances, that is OK too.And the purpose for this is?

KB3LAZ
06-17-2011, 05:43 AM
And the purpose for this is?

Free salad bar.

w2amr
06-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Free salad bar.
Woo Hoo!

w2amr
06-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Started collecting SS checks last July, but I'm not ready to walk away just yet. I still enjoy the challenge of the job. I'm working 4 hours a day and training an 18 year old with some mechanical ability , and the attention span of a gold fish. With him doing the grunt work I might last another couple of years.

KB3LAZ
06-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Started collecting SS checks last July, but I'm not ready to walk away just yet. I still enjoy the challenge of the job. I'm working 4 hours a day and training an 18 year old with some mechanical ability , and the attention span of a gold fish. With him doing the grunt work I might last another couple of years.

Teach him to follow your finger then flush him down the crapper...wait thats what you do with a real goldfish. :P

w2amr
06-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Teach him to follow your finger then flush him down the crapper...wait thats what you do with a real goldfish. :P
Nah, he will fine. Besides , I was much worse when I was 18.:mrgreen:

KB3LAZ
06-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Nah, he will fine. Besides , I was much worse when I was 18.:mrgreen:
lol

kf0rt
06-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Full Time Same Employer (Novozymes) for 28 years. Sr Chemist
Currently on short term (6 months) diability with Full pay and benefits.
I'm still in a few current projects from home base.
5 weeks vac plus a bunch of holidays.
Danes have been very very good to me and my family.
Not travelling much these days, but hope to get back to CPH in the future.
Second home of sorts.
rot

Diggin' this thread.
Been with the same employer for 26 years now (minus a month). Pays okay, but the work now sucks. I think about retirement every day. 4 weeks vacation a year, but it's capped (need to use five weeks before year-end). They've been good to me, but I've earned my keep.

Ain't like the old days. I'm now the senior dude where I work -- nobody has been there longer than moi. Survived EVERY layoff, and there have been more than I remember.

It's not fun any more.