PDA

View Full Version : Another Maunder Minimum?

N1LAF
06-14-2011, 06:48 PM
The results of the new studies were announced today (June 14) at the annual meeting of the solar physics division of the American Astronomical Society, which is being held this week at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces.

"The solar cycle may be going into a hiatus," Frank Hill, associate director of the National Solar Observatory's Solar Synoptic Network, said in a news briefing today (June 14).

The studies looked at a missing jet stream in the solar interior, fading sunspots on the sun's visible surface, and changes in the corona and near the poles. [Photos: Sunspots on Earth's Star]

"This is highly unusual and unexpected," Hill said. "But the fact that three completely different views of the sun point in the same direction is a powerful indicator that the sunspot cycle may be going into hibernation."

http://www.space.com/11960-fading-sunspots-slower-solar-activity-solar-cycle.html

I brought this subject up on the Zed about 6 years ago, and was put down by the local 'experts'. Now the real experts are talking about this possibility.

kc7jty
06-14-2011, 08:59 PM
when is the peak to be reached? (in what year was the last peak +11?)

W2NAP
06-14-2011, 09:26 PM
i think the peak would be 2012/2013

kc7jty
06-14-2011, 10:20 PM
Global warming and a little ice age, who's gonna win?

n2ize
06-14-2011, 11:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAZgLcK5LzI

kc7jty
06-15-2011, 12:17 AM
Pull this one on:
Global warming, of which the causes continue exponentially, is nulled by a 75 year mini ice age. After the 75 years the planet is toast.

NQ6U
06-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Global warming and a little ice age, who's gonna win?

As of yet, there's been no proof of a direct connection between the Maunder Minimum and the Little Ice Age. There may be a correlation but it also may have been a mere coincidence—no one is sure. It is true that cooler Earth temperature have been observed during periods of low sunspot activity, however.

PA5COR
06-15-2011, 03:25 AM
2 years back the expectation was a high maximum.
Then up to a few weeks back everyone said there would be no openings anymore, but we still got them.
The Sun does what it will do, we can guess, but we just have to wait.
Solar max now2013/2014 ( expected).

We always have the low bands.
Made some nice qso's on 160 to the USA/Canada this winter, USSR?China border etc.
Australia on 20 etc, so even if this one won't be what we were led to believe a few years back, it is not the end of Ham radio.
I always propagate a good antenna system, that has to do the work, not your fancy 5K radio.
Just got my new aluminium pipes to lengthen my inverted L to 23 meters, 80 mm starting at the bottom, ending at 30 mm at the top, then a wire of 20 meters to the front of the house. ( keeping it a little longer as 1/4 on 160, better tuning on 80)
Must add more wire in the ground, just 2100 feet in it ;)
Used with the MFJ 998 autotuner at the feedpoint it works fine at 160/20, for the higher bands there is the OCF ( FD-4) and verticals on the roof.
The SB - 1000 is mostly used at 4 - 500 watts out,i could drive it more, but mostly there is no need for that.

WØTKX
06-15-2011, 01:49 PM
This minimum will save me from the GW deniers for the rest of this lifespan.

Further evidence that Sol Almighty will protect us.

Till the Right Wing induced Apocolypse of Humanity occurs.

PA5COR
06-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Maybe we got some borrowed time to get our act together....

N1LAF
06-15-2011, 03:18 PM
As of yet, there's been no proof of a direct connection between the Maunder Minimum and the Little Ice Age. There may be a correlation but it also may have been a mere coincidence—no one is sure. It is true that cooler Earth temperature have been observed during periods of low sunspot activity, however.

There are plenty of evidence in written records.

But this is not a global cooling thread, it is one that may reflects future communications

W2NAP
06-15-2011, 04:44 PM
guess im going to need alot of wire for them low bands.

KG4CGC
06-15-2011, 10:01 PM
guess im going to need alot of wire for them low bands.Look for trashed transformers and motors. Yes, there is some work involved but it should handle 100 watts.
Years ago an employer hired a new manager who was referred to as The Queen of Clean. She wrecked the shop. I scored big on 12 ga and 8 ga wire. I asked if all that stuff was supposed to get thrown out. "If there's no place for it, the it's trash."
REALLY? REALLY!
Today it is my 80m and 160m antennas. That was 2002. Since then I've bought 298 feet of window line and a 500 foot spool of 12 ga at the hardware store. You can NEVER have enough wire.

KB3LAZ
06-15-2011, 10:26 PM
This minimum will save me from the GW deniers for the rest of this lifespan.

Further evidence that Sol Almighty will protect us.

Till the Right Wing induced Apocolypse of Humanity occurs.

Will there be zombies? Wouldnt mind a little target practice. Some people may even become "zombies" if you know what I mean, just cuz!

KG4CGC
06-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Till the Right Wing induced Apocalypse of Humanity occurs.
And it seems that they're chomping at the bit too! I'm guessing that they think they have all their bases covered with the Glen Beck survival kit ordered from the inturwebs.
http://theweek.com/article/index/208389/glenn-becks-apocalypse-survival-kits-an-instant-guide

Of course the real survivors have made plans to literally go underground. Some will be guests of the government. Others have already constructed their underground communities. Still others have their own complete mansions under Terra firma.

KB3LAZ
06-15-2011, 10:54 PM
And it seems that they're chomping at the bit too! I'm guessing that they think they have all their bases covered with the Glen Beck survival kit ordered from the inturwebs.
http://theweek.com/article/index/208389/glenn-becks-apocalypse-survival-kits-an-instant-guide

Of course the real survivors have made plans to literally go underground. Some will be guests of the government. Others have already constructed their underground communities. Still others have their own complete mansions under Terra firma.

Cant kill that which is already dead? Vampire=win? :P

KG4CGC
06-15-2011, 11:23 PM
Are you asking?
Do you know why you never see a vampire carpenter?
The splinters are a killer.

KB3LAZ
06-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Are you asking?
Do you know why you never see a vampire carpenter?
The splinters are a killer.

Bleh! Depends on the strain of the so called infection and or the legends you read. Many older legends state that a true vampire host no weakness. Then again on other fronts some research into legends of this nature define human confined immortality as mortal immunity IE the powers of a god in the body of a human thus not susceptible to natural death yet still able to meet its demise. Then there is the difference between the dead and the undead etc.

You know what is really interesting, take a look into some of the newer vampire and similar movies. Then do a comparison to actual human illnesses and or research attempts to harness the G-0 stage of the nervous system (look into reptile research). Then look at things like Anageria, progeria, cancer (and the talk of retroactive or harnessed cancer), porphyria,Thalassemia and .. (a host of genetic blood disorders including the inability to produce hemoglobin etc), photosensitivity, etc I could go on. Its amazing how well some of these ppl do their homework to improve our entertainment. I did once read an article talking about ancient times where supposedly there was a god like being that hosted a number of today's illnesses as one however his body had a natural immunity thus being called a vampire of sorts. Im unsure where I read it but it was for sociology.

Lol sorry thinking out loud and reminiscing about distant memories from school.

KG4CGC
06-16-2011, 12:43 AM
Bleh! Depends on the strain of the so called infection and or the legends you read. Many older legends state that a true vampire host no weakness. Then again on other fronts some research into legends of this nature define human confined immortality as mortal immunity IE the powers of a god in the body of a human thus not susceptible to natural death yet still able to meet its demise. Then there is the difference between the dead and the undead etc.

You know what is really interesting, take a look into some of the newer vampire and similar movies. Then do a comparison to actual human illnesses and or research attempts to harness the G-0 stage of the nervous system (look into reptile research). Then look at things like Anageria, progeria, cancer (and the talk of retroactive or harnessed cancer), porphyria,Thalassemia and .. (a host of genetic blood disorders including the inability to produce hemoglobin etc), photosensitivity, etc I could go on. Its amazing how well some of these ppl do their homework to improve our entertainment. I did once read an article talking about ancient times where supposedly there was a god like being that hosted a number of today's illnesses as one however his body had a natural immunity thus being called a vampire of sorts. Im unsure where I read it but it was for sociology.

Lol sorry thinking out loud and reminiscing about distant memories from school.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/9a19bd79.gif

Ever watch any of the Ancient Aliens series on Learning/Discovery/History Channel?

W2NAP
06-16-2011, 02:49 AM
Look for trashed transformers and motors. Yes, there is some work involved but it should handle 100 watts.
Years ago an employer hired a new manager who was referred to as The Queen of Clean. She wrecked the shop. I scored big on 12 ga and 8 ga wire. I asked if all that stuff was supposed to get thrown out. "If there's no place for it, the it's trash."
REALLY? REALLY!
Today it is my 80m and 160m antennas. That was 2002. Since then I've bought 298 feet of window line and a 500 foot spool of 12 ga at the hardware store. You can NEVER have enough wire.

big thing is i got to really plan out any 40/80/160 wires.

KB3LAZ
06-16-2011, 05:35 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/9a19bd79.gif

Ever watch any of the Ancient Aliens series on Learning/Discovery/History Channel?

LOL