PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Volume Number

N1LAF
06-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Utilities to change Hard Drive Volume Number?

KC2UGV
06-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Which volume number?

The one used by the OS (It's OS dependent), or the physical ID on the Hard-drive?

I know for *Nix, the HD SID is based on hardware in the computer + serial number of the drive. You don't want to change it. As for winders... I dunno.

N1LAF
06-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Which volume number?

The one used by the OS (It's OS dependent), or the physical ID on the Hard-drive?

I know for *Nix, the HD SID is based on hardware in the computer + serial number of the drive. You don't want to change it. As for winders... I dunno.

From DOS Prompt:

vol c:

Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 2434-693B

Change the Volume Serial Number....

KC2UGV
06-21-2011, 01:42 PM
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897436.aspx

N1LAF
06-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Looks like that will work. Thanks Corey!!

KC2UGV
06-24-2011, 09:09 AM
:) Glad to help :)

W1GUH
07-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Another route to this is: (XP Pro....for Vista and Windows 7 the route to "Manage Computer" is slightly different)

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management . From there a right click on the drive in question yields a menu with "change Drive letter and paths..."

KC2UGV
07-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Another route to this is: (XP Pro....for Vista and Windows 7 the route to "Manage Computer" is slightly different)

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management . From there a right click on the drive in question yields a menu with "change Drive letter and paths..."

That wont change the UID of the volume :)

n2ize
07-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Are these the drives you are change volume numbers on ?

http://toto.lib.unca.edu/findingaids/photo/national_climatic_data_center/Machines%20&%20People/Tape%20drives%2070s.jpg

W1GUH
07-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Is that you changing the tape?

KC2UGV
07-15-2011, 11:45 AM
Are these the drives you are change volume numbers on ?

http://toto.lib.unca.edu/findingaids/photo/national_climatic_data_center/Machines & People/Tape drives 70s.jpg

You know that number typed on the sticky label on the reel? That's the volume number. Used to be much easier to change (You could do it with a pen).

n2ize
07-17-2011, 07:37 PM
You know that number typed on the sticky label on the reel? That's the volume number. Used to be much easier to change (You could do it with a pen).

Yeah, I know. I worked with tape drives similar to the ones in that picture. The label had the vol number and other info. Those were the days when "mount" meant to physically pick up the reel and mount it in the drive. None of this "automount" stuff we have today. I used to have a few of those reels laying round the house. They were discards that I picked up and brought home to keep as a memento / conversation piece.

Incidentally, the guy in that picture is almost a dead ringer for the guy who was the chief of the computer department at a place I worked in during the early 1980's

KC2UGV
07-18-2011, 06:32 AM
Yeah, I know. I worked with tape drives similar to the ones in that picture. The label had the vol number and other info. Those were the days when "mount" meant to physically pick up the reel and mount it in the drive. None of this "automount" stuff we have today. I used to have a few of those reels laying round the house. They were discards that I picked up and brought home to keep as a memento / conversation piece.

Incidentally, the guy in that picture is almost a dead ringer for the guy who was the chief of the computer department at a place I worked in during the early 1980's

You remember Volume Groups on the label too? :)