PDA

View Full Version : Lot of what ifs but!

KB3LAZ
06-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Seems there may be a possibility of moving to Idaho for about 3 years rather than Columbus. In which case we will be living in a small house owned by Pilars relatives. Its 3 acres and has an old tv tower. We all know where this is going. xD Ofc the tower will need replaced, no big deal. Ill shell out the cash if we are gonna be there for 3+ years. Anyway, this leads me to my point. Im thinking about a little liquidation in the future and finally furnishing that AM set Ive always wanted.

TBH, we do not yet know if we will be in Idaho or Ohio. (Pilar is on a contract listing for 3 locations. She is guaranteed one but not a particular one.) It will either be Columbus (general area, idk exactly where) Idaho (clueless as to location lol), or Kent (<<< wants Kent xD). Provided its not Columbus I wont have to do away with the shack as I am used to it. Hoping for Kent in particular because A I dont have to find yet another new job, and B commuting will be an option or at least until we can find a comfortable place to reside allowing for my hobby and both of our outdoor activities.

Either way, be it Kent or Idaho (pilar told me where but I dont remember) Im truly thinking its time to do what Ive set out to do a few years back and put me an AM station together. Now for the almighty decision of what station to throw together. Ive pondered this many times and yet I still cant make up my damn mind.

Lets delve into the past. No Ranger because its been said that Ill want 100+ watts minimum by several reliable sources here. I personally like Collins but idk that I want to spend that kind of cash from the start. Viking 500 price tags = I may as well buy my Collins I want. So Heath DX-100 paired up with an HQ-170 or maybe NC 303? Push comes to shove I do have my HQ-129x.

Anyway, I know we have been over this before in the past but..any suggestions for a station setup?

PS: Budget will probably be 1500$

N8YX
06-12-2011, 09:05 AM
If it's Kent, you two will be close enough to drop by the shack/BBQ grill on occasion...

KB3LAZ
06-12-2011, 10:13 AM
If it's Kent, you two will be close enough to drop by the shack/BBQ grill on occasion...

^^ Yes sir and vice versa. If it is Kent commuting will take place until at least October.

KB3LAZ
06-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Bah, I think I will bite the bullet and just get what I want. Well, sorta. I cant justify a fully restored KWS-1 and 75A-4 however I can get something along the lines of a 32v-2and 75A-2/3. From the looks of it I can fit it into my budget plus have some pocket change.Though, I cant really bitch about a full Gold dust twins price tag at relatively 3-4.5k its no more than a high end rig that is sold today, cheaper in many cases. However I just dont have it to spend lol.

W3WN
06-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Hallicrafters HT-37 transmitter, SX-101 or SX-111 receiver.

There are few better AM/SSB transmitters. True phasing SSB, not Filter... and there is a difference.

Only catch is that the original transformers have not held up well over the years. Peter Dahl used to make a direct replacement, I don't know if the gentleman who assumed his production line still does wind those (but probably does).

And one day, one day, I will have my favorite classic station back again...

suddenseer
06-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Funny, my fag hag is moving to Kent. What a cool world we live in.