PDA

View Full Version : i think imma do it.

W2NAP
06-11-2011, 05:50 PM
well they have testing wed here locally 7pm. i finally have a little brick dough, so im going to try to do the general and extra wed night. hopefully i can get a ride out there.

N8YX
06-11-2011, 06:07 PM
well they have testing wed here locally 7pm. i finally have a little brick dough, so im going to try to do the general and extra wed night. hopefully i can get a ride out there.
My friend Joe - who is functionally illiterate - successfully passed the Technician exam last December. He called last weekend to tell me he passed the General exam.

In light of this: Any of the "intelligentsia" who whine and complain that the tests are too difficult are either lazy, full of shit or both. All it takes is a little devotion and some guts.

W2NAP
06-11-2011, 06:18 PM
congrats to your friend joe.

personally im 99.9% sure i can nail gen pretty easy.

extra atm id say 60/40

suddenseer
06-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Hey, I will sell you a book that has all of the questions, and answers. Heh. Good luck, I second Fred's observation. I became a VE back in 94, and got totally burned out by the time the cw was cut to element 1A. I can tell you they combined the advanced, and extra question pools. It was tough. I don't know what they do now. I know a blind fellow who passed his tests from codeless tech all the way to extra. He had the ability to memorize all of the question pools. I don't have that skill. Once again, good luck.

KB3LAZ
06-11-2011, 06:35 PM
congrats to your friend joe.

personally im 99.9% sure i can nail gen pretty easy.

extra atm id say 60/40

When I upgraded to gen I took the extra as well without previously studying and only missed it by 2. I should go get my extra but...Im lazy. :P

KG4CGC
06-11-2011, 07:35 PM
I only waited 9 years between tech and gen. General was easy. Only spent a week reading the material. When I took the extra last September, I had the book for 2 months but spend two weeks reading and one week HARD reading. The tech and gen tests were directly from the book. The extra exam which I took through the Shelby club at (near) the hamfest, was reworded and the multiple choice answers rearranged. Still missed 2 but I had to read each question and answer carefully. Missed one on gen due to brain fart and passed tech 100%.

Now a friend from HS who recently passed extra, is thinking about taking GROL just for shits and giggles.

W2NAP
06-11-2011, 07:40 PM
i know i can pass gen like i said. extra im still unsure but still going to attempt it (who knows might get lucky) but ill be just as happy if i just get gen

W7XF
06-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Good Luck, Tony!!!!!

W3MIV
06-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Break a leg. We're all pulling for you.

NQ6U
06-12-2011, 10:19 PM
i know i can pass gen like i said. extra im still unsure but still going to attempt it (who knows might get lucky) but ill be just as happy if i just get gen

I'm a freakin' truck driver and I still aced the general. If I can do it, you should have no problem.

KB3LAZ
06-12-2011, 10:20 PM
I'm a freakin' truck driver and I still aced the general. If I can do it, you should have no problem.

bad stereotype lol. Ive met some damn smart truckers. Ive met some um..yeah not so smart ones too but same goes for all walks of life xD.

suddenseer
06-13-2011, 06:10 AM
I'm a freakin' truck driver and I still aced the general. If I can do it, you should have no problem.A modern professional driver while not dummy proof is no where near the stereotype. I am not smart enough to be a hazmat certified driver.

NQ6U
06-13-2011, 09:47 AM
I am not smart enough to be a hazmat certified driver.

I beg to differ. I have endorsements for doubles/triples, tankers and hazmat; trust me, it ain't that difficult.

W3WN
06-13-2011, 09:47 AM
i know i can pass gen like i said. extra im still unsure but still going to attempt it (who knows might get lucky) but ill be just as happy if i just get genThat's the way to do it. You pay the same fee whether you take one test or both. And you have nothing at all to lose by taking the Extra after you pass General. What's the worse than can happen? You have an idea of what the test is like, and can then study accordingly if you still want to take it in the future.

Go for it!

KG4CGC
06-13-2011, 11:15 AM
I beg to differ. I have endorsements for doubles/triples, tankers and hazmat; trust me, it ain't that difficult.Coming from the man who just completed all the levels in Sugar, Sugar.
Brother Carl is selling himself short.

W7XF
06-13-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm a gay truck driver with Asperger's and got my Extra xD

KG4CGC
06-13-2011, 12:40 PM
You do realize how hard I'm biting my tongue right now after reading that post ... ?

PA5COR
06-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Just passed a few extra tests on a test site named in another thread made some mistakes because you have a little few differences as here, but the technical side won.
Already have the full license here, but decided for the fun to do a few.
Read carefully, question and answers....

ka4dpo
06-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Don't all gay truck drivers have Assbergers?

W3WN
06-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Just passed a few extra tests on a test site named in another thread made some mistakes because you have a little few differences as here, but the technical side won.
Already have the full license here, but decided for the fun to do a few.
Read carefully, question and answers....Which is why there's a difference between knowing the material and knowing the answers to the questiions.

W2NAP
06-13-2011, 07:56 PM
That's the way to do it. You pay the same fee whether you take one test or both. And you have nothing at all to lose by taking the Extra after you pass General. What's the worse than can happen? You have an idea of what the test is like, and can then study accordingly if you still want to take it in the future.

Go for it!

and thats the plan. 2 more days.

ki4itv
06-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Go for it, Tony. You sound as though you're going to do fine.
The misfit force is strong.

ki4itv
06-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Oh, as an aside...The TJ quote really doesn't read like a Jefferson quote. and had me scratching my head. He didn't write like that, at all.
This would be more like his style, because it is.

"[The] Bank of the United States... is one of the most deadly hostility existing, against the principles and form of our Constitution... An institution like this, penetrating by its branches every part of the Union, acting by command and in phalanx, may, in a critical moment, upset the government. I deem no government safe which is under the vassalage of any self-constituted authorities, or any other authority than that of the nation, or its regular functionaries. What an obstruction could not this bank of the United States, with all its branch banks, be in time of war! It might dictate to us the peace we should accept, or withdraw its aids. Ought we then to give further growth to an institution so powerful, so hostile?"
http://etext.virginia.edu/jefferson/quotations/jeff1325.htm

Not that it's important. I just like and read TJ, and noticed it really did not sound like him.

W2NAP
06-14-2011, 12:58 PM
i forget where i seen it. but it had a large list of them

suddenseer
06-14-2011, 04:41 PM
I would reject any, and all financial advise from Thomas Jefferson. The facts of his ineptitude in matters financial are well established.

W2NAP
06-14-2011, 09:25 PM
well were under 24hours till test time

W5RB
06-14-2011, 09:32 PM
You been taking the sample exams online ? They're a pretty good barometer .

W2NAP
06-15-2011, 02:17 AM
You been taking the sample exams online ? They're a pretty good barometer .

yea. general is nailed. extra its hit n miss

PA5COR
06-15-2011, 02:58 AM
I'll be sending positive waves to you ;)

W2NAP
06-15-2011, 01:27 PM
I'll be sending positive waves to you ;)

as long as its not negitive feedback right lol

W2NAP
06-15-2011, 04:44 PM
here in a bit i should be leaving.

ill post results when i get back

rot
06-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Spank it.
GL
rot

KG4CGC
06-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Great Luck!

W2NAP
06-15-2011, 07:03 PM
UPDATE!!!!!

passed General no problem. missed extra by 1

W2IBC/AG

KG4CGC
06-15-2011, 07:05 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! 1st!

W3MIV
06-15-2011, 07:09 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! 1st!

IBTROTIOMHWK

W2NAP
06-15-2011, 07:10 PM
thanks.

i really got suprised by extra. i did much better then i thought i would have figured id have missed 1/2 of it so missing by 1 is pretty good i think considering yesterday was the 1st day i really sat and looked at the extra.

and the people who say extra is so easy blah blah, they are so full off it. its NOT as easy as some people on the craphole like to spew over thar

W5RB
06-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Bravo . Lotsa good stuff ahead . Do the upgrade while you're still in study mode . Meanwhile , you have a buncha new stuff you can do .

W2NAP
06-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Bravo . Lotsa good stuff ahead . Do the upgrade while you're still in study mode . Meanwhile , you have a buncha new stuff you can do .

next op would be next month 3rd wed. thats if i have the $15 brick dough.

suddenseer
06-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Good deal. I like to play on 10m fm, hope to hear you up there.

W2NAP
06-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Good deal. I like to play on 10m fm, hope to hear you up there.

might catch me on SSB on 10. dont have FM capability on 10 (no fm in the 430)

suddenseer
06-15-2011, 08:24 PM
might catch me on SSB on 10. dont have FM capability on 10 (no fm in the 430)That is possible. You are in scatter range on 10. Now you can venture up above 28.500. Have a good time there. I up graded to extra only for the bottom .025 khz of some bands for cw. There are some cool contacts to be made. We all do things for our own interests, and it is all good. Back when I was a kid, upgrading to general meant you were a complete ham. I am glad I grew up. I bet you don't feel any different. You are still the same person. Missing the extra by one question with 1 days study means you are smarter than me.

kds
06-15-2011, 08:54 PM
I went for my extra after I passed my general. I was surprised to find that topics such as APRS was part of the extra exam -- APRS was one of the first "projects" I did as a tech.

W7XF
06-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Congrats Tony!! Catch.u out here soon

W2NAP
06-16-2011, 01:22 AM
That is possible. You are in scatter range on 10. Now you can venture up above 28.500. Have a good time there. I up graded to extra only for the bottom .025 khz of some bands for cw. There are some cool contacts to be made. We all do things for our own interests, and it is all good. Back when I was a kid, upgrading to general meant you were a complete ham. I am glad I grew up. I bet you don't feel any different. You are still the same person. Missing the extra by one question with 1 days study means you are smarter than me.

it was also a full moon to lol.

i got to get some antennas made up. prob going to make some dipoles up for 75,40,20,15 this summer but got alot of other things i have to get done before I move onto that.

did try 10m AM this eve. with a friend.

W2NAP
I went for my extra after I passed my general. I was surprised to find that topics such as APRS was part of the extra exam -- APRS was one of the first "projects" I did as a tech.

yea i found that kinda strange.

W2NAP
Congrats Tony!! Catch.u out here soon

eventually, got alot of other crap to do before i can really play radio

PA5COR
06-16-2011, 02:06 AM
Congrats and missing the extra by 1 isn't bad, just a little finetuning and you wioll get it next time.
Enjoy the new class ;)

NQ6U
06-16-2011, 02:21 AM
Congrats! Now the fun stuff starts—you really haven't experienced the best part of ham radio until you've gotten on HF.

W2NAP
06-16-2011, 02:47 AM
took 11 years to have everything fall into place to do it.

ki4itv
06-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Congratulations Tony!
Go grab that extra at the next opportunity. while you're still fresh.
...and be done with it.:agree:

W3MIV
06-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Congratulations Tony!

+++
:clap:

W1GUH
06-16-2011, 07:18 AM
Congratulations Tony!

Hold on a minute with that...

I'd been a ham for 30 years before I got my extra...much too long -- I missed the opportunity to become a "real extra" :twisted:;) by taking the tests in person in front of a mean FCC guy who'd rather flunk everyone so he has less paperwork! -- but when I finally did there was a let down. For all those years there was that extra class license to aspire to. Once you get that, there's no more of the fun of studying and preparing for the test, or the butterflies when you approach the VE station and then sit down to take test and then waiting for the results, or the relief and happiness when you learn that you passed.

OTOH...the way the regs have been going -- take the tests ASAP while you still have to take a test to get a ham license!

W3WN
06-16-2011, 10:00 AM
UPDATE!!!!!

W2IBC/AGSee? We knew you could do it! :clap:

KG4CGC
06-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Hold on a minute with that...

I'd been a ham for 30 years before I got my extra...much too long -- I missed the opportunity to become a "real extra" :twisted:;) by taking the tests in person in front of a mean FCC guy who'd rather flunk everyone so he has less paperwork! -- but when I finally did there was a let down. For all those years there was that extra class license to aspire to. Once you get that, there's no more of the fun of studying and preparing for the test, or the butterflies when you approach the VE station and then sit down to take test and then waiting for the results, or the relief and happiness when you learn that you passed.

OTOH...the way the regs have been going -- take the tests ASAP while you still have to take a test to get a ham license!
You could still study for a GROL. You'd get to sit before the grumpy guy too.

W2NAP
06-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Congratulations Tony!

thats sort of the plan in a way. will take time to really study the extra.

W1GUH
06-16-2011, 12:47 PM

General Radiotelephone Operator License ? Those are about as useful as tits on a boy since radio stations were de-regulated. I suppose that if I were a wallpaper freaque I could put it up there and brag and get a swollen head...but as for usefulness or desirability...no interest from here.

W5RB
06-16-2011, 01:14 PM

The commercial license exams are now administered by contractors , similar to the amateur VE process. In fact , W5YI is one of the sources for GROL exams . Their guys may be grumpy , but they ain't feds .

And I don't want to take Paul's earlier comments out of context , but don't be one of those who thinks that after getting Extra , that learning and achievement are over . Trust me , becoming an Extra doesn't mean that you know everything already .It does mean that more people will ask you hard questions , and expect answers . It can be a beginning for a number of things , including some lifelong learning .

N8YX
06-16-2011, 03:33 PM
A little late to this particular party - congrats!:bbh:

WV6Z
06-16-2011, 04:20 PM
UPDATE!!!!!

W2IBC/AG

Great job, congrats!!!

W2NAP
06-16-2011, 07:05 PM
honestly thing that really impressed myself was missing extra by 1

W1GUH
06-17-2011, 11:58 AM
The commercial license exams are now administered by contractors , similar to the amateur VE process. In fact , W5YI is one of the sources for GROL exams . Their guys may be grumpy , but they ain't feds .

And I don't want to take Paul's earlier comments out of context , but don't be one of those who thinks that after getting Extra , that learning and achievement are over . Trust me , becoming an Extra doesn't mean that you know everything already .It does mean that more people will ask you hard questions , and expect answers . It can be a beginning for a number of things , including some lifelong learning .

Not to mention some world-class arguments! ;)

W3WN
06-17-2011, 12:11 PM
might catch me on SSB on 10. dont have FM capability on 10 (no fm in the 430)BTW, there was an FM add-on board available for the TS-430S; I picked it up for mine, way back when (no longer have it or the rig, sad to say)

It was just a plug in, IIRC, no mods neccesary.

Keep an eye on eBay. They show up from time to time, and the cost is usually pretty reasonable. Never hurts to have one handy...

KG4CGC
06-17-2011, 01:20 PM
BTW, there was an FM add-on board available for the TS-430S; I picked it up for mine, way back when (no longer have it or the rig, sad to say)

It was just a plug in, IIRC, no mods neccesary.

Keep an eye on eBay. They show up from time to time, and the cost is usually pretty reasonable. Never hurts to have one handy...They show up on Ebay but seem to end up with an alias of Radio Mart.

W3WN
06-17-2011, 01:36 PM
I thought that the Rat Bastard had stopped dealing with eBay. Maybe that was just from the sales side?

W2NAP
06-17-2011, 01:48 PM
I thought that the Rat Bastard had stopped dealing with eBay. Maybe that was just from the sales side?

with him, you never know