PDA

View Full Version : Thank you and good bye

W9JAM
06-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Thank you to everyone in the ham community for all the hard work you guys have done to help teach others. That being said, as much as I love making new contacts, hit's hard to stay involved when the person who got you into ham radio, Goes around telling people you were stalking them. If anyone is interested in a Yaesu ft-817nd and a LDG z817 let me know. Both are in Like new condition and I have everything including the manuals for both.

NA4BH
06-10-2011, 10:24 PM
I don't know the story, but don't let one turd run you off.

W9JAM
06-10-2011, 10:28 PM
What's the point? The only reason I got into this hobby was because of this person that I thought was a friend that decided when I wouldn't date them, it was Ok to bad mouth me to all of MY friends on FB. I just wish people would be honest with what they want from someone. Maybe I won't sell the radio equipment but to say I'm discouraged right now is an understatement. Still makes we wonder if they got that Icom 7000 or the new Yaesu 857D they where looking at.

WØTKX
06-10-2011, 11:35 PM
Recent personal experiences aside, I'd give the hobby a chance on it's own merit.

For instance, I'm an avid skier. I have dated some skiers that turned out to be drastic mistakes.

But I still love to ski, eh?

NQ6U
06-11-2011, 12:41 AM
The guy who helped me get into ham radio not only turned on me, he was instrumental in destroying the club we belonged to as well. I decided fuck him—the hobby is still fun. You can do the same. I'll meet you on the air on the frequency of your choice* tomorrow night. Anyone else here up for an Island Net?

*40m or above, please. My antenna is useless below 7MHz.

NA4BH
06-11-2011, 12:50 AM
It might just be time for an Island net.

I noticed the OP has made it to general. Why give up something YOU worked for? Enjoy what you have and leave the 2 meter stuff behind.

The FAM is going out of town tomorrow night, so lets do it.

n2ize
06-11-2011, 01:01 AM
What's the point? The only reason I got into this hobby was because of this person that I thought was a friend that decided when I wouldn't date them, it was Ok to bad mouth me to all of MY friends on FB. I just wish people would be honest with what they want from someone. Maybe I won't sell the radio equipment but to say I'm discouraged right now is an understatement. Still makes we wonder if they got that Icom 7000 or the new Yaesu 857D they where looking at.

At present. do you engage in this hobby on its own merit ? Or do you do it just for this one person ?

WØTKX
06-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Still a little activity on 20 right now, and it's 12:00 AM here.

20 has been staying open well past sunset recently.

I don't get home till 9:30 PM MDT at the earliest.

W4GPL
06-11-2011, 01:09 AM
"I'm taking my ball and going home" at 9:22pm..

"What radio should I buy?" at 9:34pm..

:wtf:

Drama much?

N8YX
06-11-2011, 08:39 AM
There are 650,000+ hams in the U.S. alone - triple that in the rest of the world. To say I don't get along with a number of them is a huge understatement but I don't let that slow my enjoyment down one bit.

Same thing with "Charlie Babbit" - at its peak there were lots more people, lots more a$$holes....but only 40 channels...yet many of the "warring factions" somehow managed to coexist with one another.. A ham literally has hundreds of megahertz in which to escape and enjoy the hobby. Bad apples should be stepped around and forgotten. There's more on the tree. MANY more.

N7RJD
06-11-2011, 08:48 AM

Drama much?

A radio makes a great pedestal for setting a ball on.

KC2UGV
06-11-2011, 08:56 AM

Don't sell, shelve.

Yeah, maybe the person who got you into ham radio is a less than scrupulous person, but the hobby is more than one person. It's like judging ham radio solely on Karol Madera's activities.

w2amr
06-11-2011, 12:06 PM

Drama much?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHjFxJVeCQs

W4GPL
06-11-2011, 12:17 PM
:lol: That shouldn't be as funny as it is.

suddenseer
06-11-2011, 12:42 PM
The very first guy I elmered, a fellow high school student went from friend to backstabber in one year. I overheard him on 40m one afternoon talking about a "lid" he knows. He had a problem with me not leaving the 11 meter band like he chose to. He claimed I was using my 1000W (old pure dc/2000W PEP rules) in the freeband zone. The other guy suggested he turn me in to the fcc. I tuned up, threw my callsign out there and dared the little M'effer to do it. I told him my 11 meter friends were a helluva lot cooler than he was. Besides, they always had GOOD cannabis. We have not spoken to each other since.

Guess who at least gets on 6m/10m now and again?. He has not been active over 25 years. You can do what you think is best for you JAM, but I would not let anyone run me off the radio.

KB3LAZ
06-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Eh, we see similar situations throughout life yet to give up something because we acquired the drive from a person that is no longer in our life is silly to say the least. I know first hand because I have done it but in the end said interest drew me back in after time.

KG4CGC
06-11-2011, 08:50 PM
If you have an interest in radio, stick with it. Find something you think is fun. Digital, homebrew etc. Build an old style crystal set. Make a random longwire ant, anything. Plug in an old pair of computer speakers into a longwire and listen to the electrical grid if you're at home or to the atmospherics if you're out in the forest.

N2CHX
06-11-2011, 10:55 PM
If I gave up all my hobbies because of one asshole...

1. I wouldn't ride a crotch rocket
2. I wouldn't do ham radio
3. I wouldn't write
4. I wouldn't make music
5. I wouldn't do message boards
6. I wouldn't have sex
7. I wouldn't be married (lol!)

Don't leave the hobby simply because the person who got you into it turned out to be a douchebag. Obviously you saw something you liked in it or you wouldn't have a license much less be posting here. There are lots of interesting people in this hobby and it can be a lot of fun.

suddenseer
06-11-2011, 11:06 PM
If I gave up all my hobbies because of one asshole...

1. I wouldn't ride a crotch rocketI understand the crotch rocket operated at specific rpms can make a lady's day. Is that true? Never worked for me.

Guess I need to cancel my gay card.

N2NH
06-11-2011, 11:10 PM
If you got the radio to impress the girl, then it didn't work. If that's all it was, then it's time to sell it.If you studied, took the test and really have an interest in Amateur Radio, then move forward. All things end and every ending is a new beginning. There are good and bad people in every facet of life. If we all spent time running away from this kind of thing instead of learning from it, we'd all keep making the same mistakes.My opinion? Disassociate her miniscule role in this and enjoy what is one of the greatest hobbies that there is for what it is. That is a gift anyway you look at it. She is one ham out of over a million and you can bet most your experience with most of the rest of us have to be better than that. Which means things can only go up from here.

N2CHX
06-11-2011, 11:11 PM
I understand the crotch rocket operated at specific rpms can make a lady's day. Is that true? Never worked for me.

Guess I need to cancel my gay card.

Yeah actually, DH has loved it cuz I come home from work all hot and bothered.

As an aside, I took him for his first real ride on it today. Scared the shit out of him. He was literally shaking afterward. I guess 65 mph and trying to get him to play with my tits on his first ride was a bad idea.

KB3LAZ
06-11-2011, 11:17 PM
My YL has a thing for HD lucky me cuz I dont like Crotch rockets. Then again I cant afford an HD either. :P Or should I say the one I want. I could buy something like a sportster but...nada! Think Travis, think. House then bike! :)

KG4CGC
06-11-2011, 11:18 PM

As an aside, I took him for his first real ride on it today. Scared the shit out of him. He was literally shaking afterward. I guess 65 mph and trying to get him to play with my tits on his first ride was a bad idea.HAAH!

N2NH
06-11-2011, 11:19 PM
I understand the crotch rocket operated at specific rpms can make a lady's day. Is that true? Never worked for me.

There might be a good reason for that...

The answer is at 1:29 into the vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7O2aiqniiQ

KG4CGC
06-11-2011, 11:24 PM
lulz!
"but you can drive when you're all cross eyed and sweaty!"

K7SGJ
06-11-2011, 11:32 PM

As an aside, I took him for his first real ride on it today. Scared the shit out of him. He was literally shaking afterward. I guess 65 mph and trying to get him to play with my tits on his first ride was a bad idea.

It's really not a bad idea. Afterall, if you did dump the bike, he wouldn't check out empty handed.

KB3LAZ
06-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Im beginning to wonder if I still like the idea of getting another bike..yall make it seem like Ill be getting the YL a gigantic rabbit...Dont want to lose my usefulness LOL.

NQ6U
06-12-2011, 02:02 AM
If you got the radio to impress the girl, then it didn't work.

In fact, if you got the radio to impress the girl, you were on the entirely wrong track to begin with. Nothing can be less impressive to girls than being a ham.

W9JAM
06-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Well after sleeping on it last night, I decided NOT to get rid of the radio. I busted my ass to get my Tech and my General, and I'll be damned if I'm giving it up. I busted my butt to get this friend the job where he's at now. If it wasn't for me convincing my boss to hire him when nobody else was helping him with finding a job after he was fired, he wouldn't be able to buy his new ham radio. That being said, it's time to quit worrying about him and worry about me and studying for my Extra. Thank you for the kind words guys. I was having a bad day yesterday and when I saw him online it set me off. Sorry for being a drama queen.

N2CHX
06-12-2011, 06:28 AM
In fact, if you got the radio to impress the girl, you were on the entirely wrong track to begin with. Nothing can be less impressive to girls than being a ham.

True enough. I wouldn't even be impressed by it. :twisted:

suddenseer
06-12-2011, 09:33 AM
There might be a good reason for that...

The answer is at 1:29 into the vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7O2aiqniiQSome days I miss the cable tv. That is funneh..

KB3LAZ
06-12-2011, 10:23 AM

Actually, my YL is fascinated by my hobby but wants no part of it. The former two exs were that way as well. Loved to watch me tinker around with my stuff but the second I started transmission poof gone. Impressed though, I doubt it. Particularly my YL who has her Masters and is working on her PHD. Pilar however did listen to 3955 one night and grew rather fond of the conversation about Pavlav and similar topics. "what do you know, self proclaimed scholars in a box", she said. Aside from that she does tend to like boat anchors because they are relics of the past. Would she ever consider being a ham? I highly doubt it. However she may pick up a soldering iron. xD

I suppose it isnt the hobby itself that interests her but rather the fact that it is my hobby and something she says is archaic and seems dated for someone of my generation. Heh, guess she finds it intriguing that someone of my age is interested in something her grandfather used to do.

KJ3N
06-12-2011, 11:01 AM
"what do you know, self proclaimed scholars in a box"

Lulzy.... and possibly sig line material. :lol:

KB3LAZ
06-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Lulzy.... and possibly sig line material. :lol:

ROFL. TBH though the convos get rather interesting. :) Nice group of guys, have known them for the better half of a decade.

WX7P
06-12-2011, 12:20 PM

Great. Which locker room are we in?

N8YX
06-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Great. Which locker room are we in?
It sure ain't the Steelers. Their QB can't manage to ride a bike unscathed. :whistle:

N2NH
06-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Some days I miss the cable tv. That is funneh..

No need to miss Top Gear. It is the most posted TV show on the Internet. Just run it through teh google.

KG4CGC
06-12-2011, 02:51 PM
It sure ain't the Steelers. Their QB can't manage to ride a bike unscathed. :whistle:
Is he the one who bought the bike stolen? You'd think he could afford to buy legit.

suddenseer
06-12-2011, 08:13 PM
No need to miss Top Gear. It is the most posted TV show on the Internet. Just run it through teh google.I like watching it on the big screen in HD. I only have dsl, and no toys to connect the tv up. I just have not done it yet, many more priorities.

W3WN
06-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Zing! +3

W3WN
06-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Is he the one who bought the bike stolen? You'd think he could afford to buy legit.No.

Big Ben had a little old lady do a left turn into ongoing traffic without caution in front of him... and he was the ongoing traffic. Hit the windshield. He wasn't wearing a helmet. The amazing part is that he only broke some teeth and a couple of bones in his face.

No, the little old lady was not from Cleveland.

ka4dpo
06-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Hey check this out...

http://www.biggercity.com/forums/viewtopic.aspx?tid=120444&tp=1&ts=3D848C9E

W5RB
06-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Hey check this out...

Well , that's more insight than I ever expected . Or wanted .

PA5COR
06-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Brrrrrr....
Too much info, need eyebleach...

ka4dpo
06-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Yep that explains a lot....Save some of that bleach for me.

NQ6U
06-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Hey check this out...

Eww, gross.

ka4dpo
06-13-2011, 07:44 PM
It put's the lotion on..

ki4itv
06-13-2011, 07:49 PM
I didn't see that coming. I just turned around, closed the door and left them to do their thing in peace.

W3WN
06-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Ah... OK. Not a site for me, that's for sure.

W3MPS
06-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Hey check this out...

Damn you, sir, to the deepest bowels of hell! You had to go and ruin my daydreams of what if my girlfriend was as adventurous as Kelli.

Motorcycles and lady bits :-D, then train wreck of who knows what the hell! :sick:

W4GPL
06-13-2011, 08:31 PM
I just don't see this going anywhere good.. :locked: