PDA

View Full Version : Jarlsburg cheese American style

kc7jty
06-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Tasted Jarlsburg cheese lately. It used to be a good hard semi dry cheese. Now it has the texture of Velveeta and doesn't taste much better. We are PATHETIC!
There's no way they sell this CRAP in Europe.

NQ6U
06-07-2011, 10:00 PM
It's impossible to get decent cheese anywhere outside one of the big urban areas in the United States and even then, you have to go to a specialty store. Before I moved from San Diego to the Islets of Langerhans, I lived across the street from a Whole Paycheck Foods Market. It didn't come cheap, but it sure was nice to be able to go there and pick up a hunk of gen-u-wine Wensleydale or something.

kc7jty
06-08-2011, 02:09 AM
Yeah but this has the Jarlsburg name unless Walmart is jerkin me.

WØTKX
06-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Jarlsburg is usually quite hard, like Parmesan. Harumph.

That's just wrong, and it's one of my favorite cheeses.

KG4CGC
06-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah but this has the Jarlsburg name unless Walmart is jerkin me.
If they have a contract with Walmart then they must fulfill their obligations to provide a product or face stiff and serious legal penalties as well as illegal penalties. I've seen this happen before with other products. Just send something! They must have it!
A few years back there was a shortage of something needed to produce the supplement CoQ10 (coenzyme Q10). There apparently was no shortage at Walmart for the house brand. Their store brand supplier filled the gap for a couple of weeks by sending Ester E in bottles marked CoQ10. While there was no harm in this, it is still not the same thing.

I have to consider the idea that in these cases, perhaps there was an oversight in QC/QA. These oversights are more apt to happen when a supplier is contractually obligated to fulfill their agreement NO MATTER WHAT. As we are all aware, WM is a very nasty Goliath to deal with. The problem I see is when something dangerous results from people being forced to meet their numbers, one way or another.

kc7jty
06-08-2011, 02:24 PM
There is a Jarlsburg "Lite". This is what I suspect I got even though the deli slices tray only had "Jarlsburg" tagged on it. I'm going to investigate. Some poor employee is probably going to get the full unload.

KG4CGC
06-08-2011, 02:32 PM
There is a Jarlsburg "Lite". This is what I suspect I got even though the deli slices tray only had "Jarlsburg" tagged on it. I'm going to investigate. Some poor employee is probably going to get the full unload.
Before you unload on a minimum wage shlep, see if you can get them to answer some questions leading up to to your dilemma. Then take it to a manager, CSA or whatever they call them these days. About the only only thing they'll be able to do is offer you a store voucher or some sort of nonsense. Bring the remainder of the product with you, which will have to be checked in at the service desk.

Chances are that you will have to climb up each tier of the ladder to get this straightened out satisfactorily unless they admit to a mistake that happened on the floor.

And as always, Your Mileage May Vary by dosage.

kc7jty
06-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Uck it!
I'll take the lumps and eat the chit. It also looks like I got the first order after the blade on the slicer was sharpened. Black grease smeared on a few slices. Hail Walmart!

W3MIV
06-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Jarlsberg is most definitely NOT a hard cheese like Parmesan. Jarlsberg is a cow milk cheese that is semi-hard, creamy tan in color, and it is very much akin to Emmentaler, in its characteristic flavor, texture and eyes. Indeed, many cannot distinguish between the two in a taste test.

Just because someone calls their cheese "Jarlsberg" does not mean that it is Jarlsberg. For the record, Jarlsberg, Emmental and Limburger are among my most favored cheeses, the last of which is now very hard to find outside of major metro cheese boutiques.

KG4CGC
06-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Grease on the slices is an even bigger reason to take it back and stick it to the man! Although I have to say that the minimum wage shlep and their manager is directly to blame for that one. Proper training to indicate that one must watch what they are doing.

KG4CGC
06-08-2011, 04:37 PM
http://syracuse.citysearch.com/profile/7651608/east_syracuse_ny/walmart.html

Read up on Walmart and their practice of denial. I know you would love to tear them a new one.

WØTKX
06-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Huh, the only Jarlsberg I ever found was pretty hard, with a brownish yellow rind. And I like that quite a bit. Kind of a snap to th texture when you bite it, with a very nut like flavor. I guess I paid a premium price for some sort of a fake?

I was exaggerating about the hardness, but still. Firmer than Swiss, anyway.

W3MIV
06-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Huh, the only Jarlsberg I ever found was pretty hard, with a brownish yellow rind. And I like that quite a bit. Kind of a snap to th texture when you bite it, with a very nut like flavor. I guess I paid a premium price for some sort of a fake?

I was exaggerating about the hardness, but still. Firmer than Swiss, anyway.

You might have had an older cheese, Dave. Jarlsberg is very nutty and quite like a good Swiss Swiss, the best being Emmentaler. As a cheese ages, it dries more and more -- even though it is waxed to slow the loss of moisture. Parmigiano Reggiano is, perhaps, the epitome of hard, dry, aged cheeses (and I do love it so!).

WØTKX
06-08-2011, 06:10 PM
I had fossilized Jarlsberg then. :lol:
I've never found or tried it soft.

There was a burger joint in Mpls that had a red onion and
Limburger patty melt on rye bread that kicked ass. :drool:

kc7jty
06-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Just because someone calls their cheese "Jarlsberg" does not mean that it is Jarlsberg.

u sure 'bout that!?

I know Jarlsburg. Have enjoyed it through many decades (although not as often as desired). The stuff branded as such in Wally's looked peaked and squishy but I wanted to get home and make a ham 'n chee sandwich post haste.

KG4CGC
06-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Imagine a hard, smokey swiss.

WØTKX
06-09-2011, 12:27 AM
By the name of Weiner?

Oh, I am a "big dork" for saying that.

:snicker:

:muhahaha:

kc7jty
06-09-2011, 01:30 AM
http://gawker.com/5809909/anthony-weiners-cock-shot-emerges

n6hcm
06-09-2011, 03:27 AM

ugh. that's the worst. safeway once substituted this for the hunk of jarlsberg that i usually get. this stuff is *nasty*

n6hcm
06-09-2011, 03:34 AM
Jarlsberg is most definitely NOT a hard cheese like Parmesan.

right. it's a firm cheese, but not hard like asiago or some cheddars. i prefer to get jarlsberg by the wedge (see earlier revolting experience).

and wtf is it with people who have to play games with the fat content of foods? FAT IS FLAVOR, PEOPLE!! none of this fat-free half and half nonsense ...

n6hcm
06-09-2011, 03:35 AM
u sure 'bout that!?

the name is protected in the european union, but i'm not sure about the u.s.

kc7jty
06-09-2011, 04:22 AM
and wtf is it with people who have to play games with the fat content of foods? FAT IS FLAVOR, PEOPLE!! none of this fat-free half and half nonsense ...

Don't get me started. I often complain to the butchers about removing too much fat off a steak to please the FUCKING old and/or fat ladies who pig out on sweets and readily eat hamburger or sausage with 75% or less lean. Out of sight out of mind right, you stupid FAT ASS!

W3MIV
06-09-2011, 05:19 AM
i prefer to get jarlsberg by the wedge ...

Costco here has an excellent selection of good cheeses, including an especially good selection of Jarlsberg wedges. They also stock Kerry Gold white cheddars, another of my faves. If only I could solve the Limburger conundrum. Supermarkets around here have even stopped stocking the tiny jars of imitation Limburger spread put out by Mohawk.

W3MIV
06-09-2011, 05:26 AM
I have been fighting the "fat-trimming" issue for several years -- mostly without success because many supermarkets now get their meats pre-cut from a warehouse cold room. I suspect that the trimmings are being sold off to sausage makers or even pet food outfits. Years ago, a butcher would give you fat scraps for the asking; then it was priced at $0.25/pound or higher; now it is unavailable from a supermarket meat counter.

Worse even than steaks is the rape of good roasts, especially rib roasts and pork loins.

W1GUH
06-09-2011, 09:09 AM
But...but...but...we should be glad that the state is looking out for our well-being. Everything they force us to do is only for our own good. Get with the program. If the state tells you to do something, lose the whining and cheerfully embrace the goodness of the state. cheesh! crybabies!!!

[pure sarcasm]

W7XF
06-09-2011, 11:09 AM
I'd love to see the "good old days" come back, when even the large chain grocers would get a hanging side of beef and a side of pork daily and my mom could get whatever she wanted cut to order while she waited. Not anymore, thanks to minimum wage slaughterhouses. And that inert gas preserved Shit they sell at SqualorMart??? Nein, danke.

NQ6U
06-09-2011, 11:37 AM
http://www.cheesewiki.com/system/images/2948/medium/GovernmentSurplusCheeseBox-757415.jpg?1268294549

Now that's cheese, my friends!

W1GUH
06-09-2011, 12:04 PM
I'd love to see the "good old days" come back, when even the large chain grocers would get a hanging side of beef and a side of pork daily and my mom could get whatever she wanted cut to order while she waited. Not anymore, thanks to minimum wage slaughterhouses. And that inert gas preserved Shit they sell at SqualorMart??? Nein, danke.

Back in the "good old days" food stores were owned and run by people who liked providing quality food...that's why they were in the business. Today, I'd wager that nobody on the boards of the major food purveyors knows diddly about being in the food business. They're only in it for the money -- as much as they can squeeze out of it at our expense.

NQ6U
06-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Today, I'd wager that nobody on the boards of the major food purveyors knows diddly about being in the food business.

No, the problem is that's all they know—the food business. What they know diddly about is food.

WØTKX
06-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Ugh!

http://image18.webshots.com/18/2/22/87/226222287ARTjzq_ph.jpg

W1GUH
06-09-2011, 01:11 PM
No, the problem is that's all they know—the food business. What they know diddly about is food.

Correction appreciated.

KG4CGC
06-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Fuck'em all! Take the money!

W1GUH
06-09-2011, 01:53 PM
and run

KG4CGC
06-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Problem these days is that these criminals are legitimized and looked up to as role models.

W1GUH
06-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Problem these days is that these criminals are legitimized and looked up to as role models.

Especially by the children.

Could be my answer to a question on the other forum?

KG4CGC
06-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Doing it to the parents and society at large, For The Children.

kc7jty
06-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Back in the "good old days" food stores were owned and run by people who liked providing quality food...that's why they were in the business. Today, I'd wager that nobody on the boards of the major food purveyors knows diddly about being in the food business. They're only in it for the money -- as much as they can squeeze out of it at our expense.

...and the DUMB ASS populace have their collective tongues up their own asses. It absolutely amazes me how so many just can't or don't have any god damned taste or class.

The latest thing here are all the HUGE animated advertisement signs on more and more businesses. I tell you people will eat SHIT if it's promoted correctly.

As a culture we have none, and are deserving of a slow painful death.

kc7jty
06-09-2011, 11:15 PM

And if you call it all foul you're not a team player, are un American, are a whiner, and probably molest children.

W3MIV
06-10-2011, 06:09 AM
The latest thing here are all the HUGE animated advertisement signs on more and more businesses. I tell you people will eat SHIT if it's promoted correctly.

That's a prime foundation of the consumer-capitalism that is the engine of the economic distress now powering the accelerating disparity between rich and poor and moving the entire world toward an explosive result.

n2ize
06-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Vichyssoise anyone ??

http://www.foodquality.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/fqu/image/FQU_FebMar_2010_pp20_01.jpg

W3MIV
06-10-2011, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't suggest opening that can, John.

n2ize
06-10-2011, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't suggest opening that can, John.

Nor when it was made in 1971. A couple of people did and they didn't fare very well. :(

kc7jty
06-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Was at Wally's today (not the one that sold me the Jarlsburg goo) and there IS a Jarlsburg (NOT LITE) that comes in the usual deli slicer elongated brick. Something about it being rindless and soft or some other word but not gooey.
We've gone to hell.

Here it is!
http://www.jarlsbergusa.com/our-cheeses/

Notice the usa in the url.

The stuff I got is the 2nd one down in red wrapper.

W3MIV
06-13-2011, 05:29 AM
I buy that Jarlsberg in wedges (from the wheel) at Costco. It is an excellent Jarlsberg, Billhelm.

W1GUH
06-13-2011, 07:15 AM
Vichyssoise anyone ??

http://www.foodquality.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/fqu/image/FQU_FebMar_2010_pp20_01.jpg

Obviously, not THAT vichyssoise....but homemade...potatoes, leeks, water, cream, chives, served very chilled.....mmmmm....great hot-weather dish. Think I'll make some soon.

Just hafta learn how to take a leek without getting hassled in the grocery store.

kc7jty
06-13-2011, 03:16 PM
I buy that Jarlsberg in wedges (from the wheel) at Costco. It is an excellent Jarlsberg, Billhelm.
The last time (2 mos ago) I bought the rinded wedge it was the good stuff but tasted like is was in a box of perfumed laundry soap for a few days. These fawlking supermarket chains will plastic wrap a pallet of laundry soap and food items in the same wrapping.

KG4CGC
06-13-2011, 05:17 PM
The last time (2 mos ago) I bought the rinded wedge it was the good stuff but tasted like is was in a box of perfumed laundry soap for a few days. These fawlking supermarket chains will plastic wrap a pallet of laundry soap and food items in the same wrapping.Truck space consolidation. Gotta cram as much crap in the trailer as possible.

W3MIV
06-14-2011, 03:41 PM
A bit of research yields the info that the wheel of Jarlsberg (and consequently wrapped wedges of same) is imported from Norway. The so-called "Lite" Jarlsberg that is bricked or packaged as slices is made by a subsidiary in Ohio.

kc7jty
06-15-2011, 12:30 AM
The jig is up!

NQ6U
06-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Truck space consolidation. Gotta cram as much crap in the trailer as possible.

Not typical for cheese and laundry soap to ride in the same trailer, though. Cheese needs to stay refrigerated, laundry soap obviously does not and a shipper would not normally pay the extra bucks to put it in a reefer van.

KG4CGC
06-15-2011, 01:06 AM
During my stint in night stocking during the 80s, the pallets came off the truck stretch wrapped. Usually soap and the like came on its own pallet but there would be a couple of pallets of frozen packed in dry ice. A hot truck might sometimes carry a load of cheese and soap if there was no other way to get it there cheaply enough to satisfy the shareholders. That and I would imagine that there would be no other way in Idaho.

Then consider this, they may have stored the cheese near the cleaning supplies at the store. It may have been there a couple of days or more before being brought out to the deli display.

n6hcm
06-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Costco here has an excellent selection of good cheeses, including an especially good selection of Jarlsberg wedges. They also stock Kerry Gold white cheddars, another of my faves.

yes, they do. my only problem with costco is that it's just me eating the stuff, so a costco-sized wedge is half a lifetime supply. now, if my kitty marcus were still among us this wouldn't be such a problem--he loved cheese ...

kc7jty
06-15-2011, 02:27 AM
lucky cat

NQ6U
06-15-2011, 09:57 AM
yes, they do. my only problem with costco is that it's just me eating the stuff, so a costco-sized wedge is half a lifetime supply.

That's the problem with Costco. Sure, it may be cheap but do you really need a 55 gallon drum of vanilla extract?

W3MIV
06-15-2011, 03:58 PM
That's the problem with Costco. Sure, it may be cheap but do you really need a 55 gallon drum of vanilla extract?

As in all things, Carlo mon ami, moderation. For an ardent cheese devotee, a one- or two-pound wedge of Jarlsberg is but a canapé. They have some excellent cheeses and sausages at good prices.

At Costco, I usually buy things like cans of diced tomatoes, mushrooms and canned stocks, flour, canned tuna and canned salmon, etc; also good for domestic drudgeries like laundry detergent, dish washer powder, toilet tissue, paper towels and the like.

On those occasions when I am in a pie-baking mood, I buy fresh fruits and berries there. Here at Casa Albi, we devour as much salad as a condominium rabbit hutch, and I often buy romaine lettuce and baby spinach. Sometimes they will have good arugula and other greens. I have even seen broccolini in Costco.

Alas, here the bluenoses in charge do not permit the sale of beer and wine in groceries. Yet, anyway.

KG4CGC
06-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Wasn't there some large grocery chain, possibly even Walmart, that was going to start a greenhouse, on premises? A fresh garden of vegetables, some fruits even. I remember seeing something like this on the television. Maybe it was just some obscure store out West.

W3MIV
06-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Wasn't there some large grocery chain, possibly even Walmart, that was going to start a greenhouse, on premises? A fresh garden of vegetables, some fruits even. I remember seeing something like this on the television. Maybe it was just some obscure store out West.

I have seen fruits in WalMarts, but they were not hot-house flowers.

:spin:

NQ6U
06-15-2011, 05:32 PM
As in all things, Carlo mon ami, moderation.

Tell that to my XYL. She all too easily succumbs to Costco's siren call of "Look! 100,000 paper napkins! It's only $40 and you'll never have to buy paper napkins again!"

KG4CGC
06-15-2011, 06:15 PM
I have seen fruits in WalMarts, but they were not hot-house flowers.

:spin:
It takes a strong man to stomach such a collection of rag bags masquerading as conviviality.