PDA

View Full Version : One chapter ends, another one begins.

KJ3N
06-06-2011, 09:10 PM
If any of you have looked me up on QRDead, you've seen the old beat-up Honda Civic hatchback with the large screwdriver on it. It's been through a lot, but the time has come to retire it.

Behold the newer 2007 Toyota Corolla with the High Sierra 1800. It took most of Sunday and today to get the mount "designed" and the basic wiring done for both the antenna and the radio. There is some cleanup and final routing of cables to take care of, but for the most part, it's done.

W5GA
06-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Nice looking mount...good job!

KG4CGC
06-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Whoa Dude! That's pretty serious stuff! Even more Hamsexy than Tom's screwdriver on a Civic, but his Civic has cold air intake under the hood. Got pics, Tom?
Congratulations!

NQ6U
06-06-2011, 10:31 PM
How did you attach the horizontal aluminum tube to the car?

KJ3N
06-06-2011, 10:46 PM
How did you attach the horizontal aluminum tube to the car?

It's not tubing. It's 2-inch square box channel with 1/8 inch walls. I used a couple of "layers" of it to get from the frame to a point where I could get a 2 foot piece of it to extend from under the car. It's not exactly "pretty" under there, but it works. I can take more pictures if you're interested.

I'd like to paint the visible aluminum black, but I'm not sure I can find a paint that will adhere to it well.

W5RB
06-06-2011, 11:01 PM
I'd like to paint the visible aluminum black, but I'm not sure I can find a paint that will adhere to it well.

Dunno how much would be required , but this stuff , from the folks known for their gun finishes , may work for you . Basically an oxide finish , might serve you fine .
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=707229

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/707/707229.jpg

KG4CGC
06-06-2011, 11:03 PM
I guess I'm preaching to the choir here;
take everything back apart
fine sandpaper the http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/f0aa9516.gif
paint with primer
cure
then go from there.

Just throwing it out there :)

N8YX
06-07-2011, 04:49 AM
Powdercoat it.

suddenseer
06-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Hard Anodize. Expensive, but will last.

W1GUH
06-07-2011, 09:09 AM
How's she handle with all that hardware back behind the rear wheels? It's probably an exaggeration to think that that much weight and drag back there is going to take weight off the front wheels thus making the car handle wierd, but esthetically it sure looks like that happens with that setup. But...guess hamsexy beats anything?

I'll stick with sleek, almost invisible hamsticks. And save a whole bunch of $$$$$$ in the process.

W3WN
06-07-2011, 09:21 AM
It's not tubing. It's 2-inch square box channel with 1/8 inch walls. I used a couple of "layers" of it to get from the frame to a point where I could get a 2 foot piece of it to extend from under the car. It's not exactly "pretty" under there, but it works. I can take more pictures if you're interested.

I'd like to paint the visible aluminum black, but I'm not sure I can find a paint that will adhere to it well.Drop a note to Mike K3AIR. His brother owns a garage, and fabricated a custom mount for the eggbeater/screwdriver HF mobile antenna he put on his Jeep last year. (I don't know the brother's name or his contact information, though). If he can put you in touch with his brother, he may have some answers for you -- why reinvent the wheel?

KG4CGC
06-07-2011, 01:14 PM
-- why reinvent the wheel?
Because you can. :)

KB3LAZ
06-08-2011, 08:19 AM
I cheated when equipping my grandfathers impala with a screwdriver. Ordered a trailer hitch that accepts the square tubing type hitch with ball attached. I left the actually portion that the ball is housed on out of the equation and made a custom mount that slides right in there. xD Forgive my lack of technical terms as far as trailer hitches are concerned thats why I have a pickup with an extended bed. :P

KJ3N
06-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Update:

Antenna working A-OK. JY4CI on the way home last night. Took a bit to get through the pile-up, but.... :agree:

W3WN
06-10-2011, 10:45 AM
-- why reinvent the wheel? Because you can. :)Then do it because you want to, or because you're trying to do it better.

Don't do it because you don't know what's already been done!