PDA

View Full Version : Parsley in a pot

kc7jty
06-06-2011, 01:43 PM
I have decided to grow parsley in a flower pot. The pot looks like a 3 gallon capacity. I plan to buy 8 qts potting soil and mix it with local top soil. I don't want to make a small garden spot because I spray plenty weed killer in the constant wind here.

I got this:
http://www.burpee.com/herbs/parsley/parsley-extra-curled-dwarf-prod000481.html?catId=2197&trail=

I noticed on the package the seeds are from France. Cool beans baby.

KG4CGC
06-06-2011, 01:46 PM
The problem with French seeds is that they are 90% likely to have been genetically modified by Monsanto. As you are probably well aware, Monsanto is the Mad Scientist of the plant world.

NQ6U
06-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Not only that, being French, your parsley is likely to surrender to the first weed that invades it's pot.

WA4TM
06-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Good one Carl!!!!!!

Not only that, being French, your parsley is likely to surrender to the first weed that invades it's pot.

W3MIV
06-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Mon Dieu! Quelle bande de sauvages sont ces Américains.

kc7jty
06-06-2011, 11:54 PM
I shall advise the skeptical and hurtful Island gang of the parsley's distinction at a time when it is mature enough to be violated.

KG4CGC
06-07-2011, 12:25 AM
A little catnip added to lasagna is flavorful as well as good for the stomach.

kc7jty
06-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Plus makes you the envy of all the toms in the hood.

KG4CGC
06-07-2011, 01:43 AM
Plus makes you the envy of all the toms in the hood.
Cat fancier?

kc7jty
06-07-2011, 02:59 AM
nahme!

kc7jty
06-07-2011, 03:09 AM
In a very small pan (4" dia) add about 5 tbl spoons (1/3 cup) EV olive oil and 5-6 cloves chopped fresh garlic and some red pepper flakes. Sauté VERY gently for 10-15 mins. The garlic should just start to turn beige and NOT be crunchy.
Pour mixture over 1 lb al dente linguini (Barilla works), add about 3/4 to 1 cup fresh chopped parsley. Toss to blend then sprinkle with freshly grated Pecorino Romano.

Drink a quality pilsner wiffit. Urquell is ok if you can get it fresh enough. Yummy!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Pecorino_romano_on_board_cropped.PNG/300px-Pecorino_romano_on_board_cropped.PNGhttp://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9amxu1luLoMnapwFQVF3KlR4bEjx0e UCuMW1oldgQi-IK4msO

KG4CGC
06-07-2011, 04:29 AM
Shopping List:

15oz container of Ricotta Cheese
Large Can Grated Parmesan Cheese
Large Eggs
2-4 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

I usually use 4 cups but you can vary it depending on your cheese tolerance.
You will need at least 2 cups.

2 lbs ground chuck or sirloin
1/2 pound ground sausage (your choice)
1 medium yellow onion
1 green bell pepper
Minced Garlic or Garlic Cloves and a press
Bunch of fresh parsley (MUST BE FRESH!)
3 28oz cans of tomatoes, 2 pureed and 1 diced
1 6oz can of tomato paste
Basil, dried
Oregano, dried
Cat mint (nip), dried
Salt
Ground Pepper
1 16oz box Muellers Lasagna Noodles

================================================== =

Cheese Mixture
15oz container of Ricotta Cheese (the real stuff... not the lowfat stuff)
3/4 cup of Parmesan Cheese
2 Large Eggs

Mix together with a fork and put bowl in refrigerator until the Layering part of the recipe.

Meat Sauce
2 lbs ground chuck or sirloin
1/2 pound sausage
1 cup of finely chopped onion
1/2 cup of chopped bell pepper
4 tsps (or one heaping tablespoon) of minced garlic
1/2 cup of finely chopped parsely
3 28oz cans of tomato, two puréed and one diced
1 6oz can of tomato paste
2 1/2 tsps dried basil leaves (2 1/2 tablespoons finely minced if using fresh)
1 1/2 tsps dried oregano leaves (1 1/2 tablespoons finely minced if using fresh)
1 tsp dried cat mint (nip) (1 tablespoon finely minced if using fresh)
2 tsps salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Brown meat with onion, garlic and parsley over medium heat about 10 minutes until brown. Meat should be broken up finely with no big chunks. Drain if necessary.

Add tomatoes to meat mixture and stir in tomato paste, basil, oregano, catnip, salt and pepper. Add enough water to the can of tomato paste to swirl around can and remove the hard to scrape bits. Pour water into the pan and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes. Makes about 8 1/2 cups of sauce. Remove sauce from heat and set aside. That was hot work. You probably want to pop open a wine cooler to get ready for the next section...

Noodles
Why is there a section on the noodles? Because it's the most commonly glazed over step in the lasagna making process. Even the most amazing sauce (and the above is to DIE for, btw... ) will not fix poor noodle prep or layering. If someone says they can never master a good lasagna, that it is mushy or it falls apart, or if it's too dry... it's because they made the mistake of following the package directions or (horrors!) didn't precook their dried pasta. I'm going to give you my secrets to perfect layering... and the secret is... it's all in the noodles!

I recommend using 16 oz box of Mueller's lasagna, placed in boiling salted water one piece at a time in spiral formation and cooked for 7 minutes. Stir gently to avoid breaking or sticking, then *carefully* drain in a colander.

To avoid the pasta continuing to cook and sticking together before layering, I run each piece back under cold water and lay them one at a time on a couple sheets of clean, white paper towels on the counter. You can get about five strips to a sheet, then another layer of paper towels... 5 more lasagna strips... more paper towels... 5 more lasagna strips. Blot with another paper towel and let cool on the counter. You should have three groups of five (or so) on the counter, cooling.

Layering

Get everything within reach. You'll need the cheese mixture, sauce, noodles and a 13x9x3 pan (though I really recommend deeper if you can find one... this will most likely bubble over!) Preheat your oven to 350º.

Start your layering.

Spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce on the bottom of pan.
Add 5 strips of lasagna noodles (1/3 of them) lay them so that the curled edges slightly overlap on the long edge.
Add 2 cups of meat sauce, spread gently over noodles so as not to disturb them.
Add 1/3 of the Cheese Mixture just like you were making cookies. Little dollops, 2" apart in a grid over the last layer.
Add a thin layer of Mozzarella Cheese.
Add a thin layer of Parmesan Cheese.
Now this is important. Using your hands... press down lightly to remove excess air bubbles and to keep the layers compressed.

Repeat these 7 steps two more times and then top with remaining noodles (if any) and sauce. Top with remaining mozzarella, Parmesan and dust with whatever parsley is left over on your cutting board. Do not compress this last layer.

Put the pan on a cookie sheet in the center of oven at 350º for 50 minutes. For best removal, let stand at least 5 minutes before cutting.

w3bny
06-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Mine grows in a pot very well. Along with a basil, greek oregano, and cilantro as company.

KG4CGC
06-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Mine grows in a pot very well. Along with a basil, greek oregano, and cilantro as company.
Cilantro is the man with the Devil's cheese!

WV6Z
06-07-2011, 05:03 PM

WIN!

kc7jty
06-07-2011, 09:33 PM

I brought a jar of REAL, dried Italian/Greek oregano home from PA on the airplane. ALL the oregano here in N Idaho is or is diluted with Mexican oregano.

NQ6U
06-07-2011, 09:37 PM
I brought a jar of REAL, dried Italian/Greek oregano home from PA on the airplane. ALL the oregano here in N Idaho is or is diluted with Mexican oregano.

Ya know, despite what a person might think after dining at the local Olive Garden, Italians don't use that much oregano in their cooking. Maybe a little bit in a rub for chicken or on a pizza but otherwise, not much. And never in a sugo (pasta sauce)!

KG4CGC
06-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Ya know, despite what a person might think after dining at the local Olive Garden, Italians don't use that much oregano in their cooking. Maybe a little bit in a rub for chicken or on a pizza but otherwise, not much. And never in a sugo (pasta sauce)!
My entire life has been a lie then.

NQ6U
06-07-2011, 09:56 PM
My entire life has been a lie then.

I'm a-feared so, medigan

kc7jty
06-08-2011, 02:11 AM

AGREED! A must on pizza though. And on hoagies.
I'm quite practiced in eating good Italian food.

w3bny
06-08-2011, 07:34 AM

Oh..I see....blame it on the Mexicans

NQ6U
06-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Oh..I see....blame it on the Mexicans

Goldurn Messkins, polluting our good 'Murrican oregano!

(Actually, Mediterranean oregano and Mexican oregano are two entirely different plant species)

kc7jty
06-08-2011, 03:51 PM
(Actually, Mediterranean oregano and Mexican oregano are two entirely different plant species)

they sure taste like it. I like Mexican oregano but NOT in Italian food.