PDA

View Full Version : Who's doing FD this year?

W1GUH
06-06-2011, 08:37 AM
This year looks like it's the year I finally do it again. Booked a campsite up in NW CT where I'll park the mobile and do class C. Might even try some class B with the '817.

W3WN
06-06-2011, 08:41 AM
I should be operating with the Wireless Association again this year. Most likely on the overnight shift (again) as the Pirates play at home that weekend.
Look for N3SH 3A or 4A.

I may play around a little 1D as well. Some years I do, some I don't.

W5RB
06-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Looks like the WE5DX team will consolidate with the local club operation , a class 2E , maybe 3E , as conditions warrant . Part of me would rather be out in a picnic pavilion somewhere , but the Miss'ippi summer is really hard on some of our members , so the indoor accommodation in one member's "shack " will be a welcome change in some ways . Ross's dump is a 30x40' block building , fully finished with full kitchen , full bath , and several couches that look fine for napping .

Maybe with the cushy digs , we can get more focus on operating this time , that's been a weak point with our club FDs of recent years . Look for W5FQ on 80-10 , maybe some 6 .

ki4itv
06-06-2011, 09:04 AM
I've been out of the loop so long, I don't even get invitations anymore...:(
Should probably start working on that. Maybe I can go help Ralph and the gang in Goochland again. Hmmmm.

N8YX
06-06-2011, 09:14 AM
I'll be helping 'DSG's family get the house ready for sale. May take a radio and simple antenna with us but it'll be nothing like years past. We'll miss the large back yard and accompanying support trees. :(

KC2UGV
06-06-2011, 09:53 AM
When is it? Maybe, I'll run out to the Buffalo harbor lighthouse, and operate from there, given enough notice. If not there, possibly Strawberry Island or something.

W3WN
06-06-2011, 09:54 AM
I'll be helping 'DSG's family get the house ready for sale. May take a radio and simple antenna with us but it'll be nothing like years past. We'll miss the large back yard and accompanying support trees. :(If you and 'DSG want a break, consider yourselves formally invited to visit the N3SH operation.

We're going to be down at Mingo Creek Park in Washington County, at the site of the Amateur Astronomers Association of Pittsburgh observatory in the park (they have a permanent installation there, I don't know exactly what the deal they have with the park is, but clearly a good one.) I think this is the 5th year we've been there. AAAP is planning a "star party" public obersvation event for Saturday night, so it will be a fun joint event.

And I think I can even get you official N3SH 2011 FD T-Shirts as well! (I know, just what you needed)

W3WN
06-06-2011, 09:55 AM
When is it? Maybe, I'll run out to the Buffalo harbor lighthouse, and operate from there, given enough notice. If not there, possibly Strawberry Island or something.4th full weekend in June. This year, that's the 25th & 26th. QRV officially from 2 PM Saturday through 5 PM Sunday local time, maximum of 24 hours operating.

KG4CGC
06-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Try to get the guys together last year was like pulling teeth. So it didn't happen.

W3WN
06-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Try to get the guys together last year was like pulling teeth. So it didn't happen.If you don't mind coming to SW PA, you're welcome to join up with us.

KG4CGC
06-06-2011, 02:58 PM
If you don't mind coming to SW PA, you're welcome to join up with us.
That's quit a drive sir. Thank you for the offer.

W3WN
06-06-2011, 03:15 PM
That's quite a drive sir. Thank you for the offer.Yes, I know. Regardless, the offer is sincere.

And that goes the same for any Islander; if you're willing to come to us, we will be more than happy to have you help us operate Field Day.

W2NAP
06-06-2011, 03:53 PM
if I do. it will be at the local club prob wont decided until the day before. if i do. it will be under W9VCF think they will be 3F this year

w3bny
06-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Bunneh will be K3HKI here in Lexington Park. I will be running 15m on a balloon antenna (maybe some of the lower bands) and if I get too bored, will run the tether out for 60m...just to see who's out there and say HI!

KB3LAZ
06-08-2011, 08:21 AM
<<< Does FD alone each year. Normally a car battery, the 7000, and a wire. Simple setup, operation, and clean up.

n2ize
06-08-2011, 08:02 PM
If it's hot I'll be doing field day from an air conditioned room with a cold drink in hand.

W7XF
06-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Depends on where I'm at that weekend.... might do FD might not. BTW is 60m verboten for FD, like 30, 17 and 12??

NQ6U
06-11-2011, 12:32 AM
BTW is 60m verboten for FD, like 30, 17 and 12??

Yeah, you're not supposed to do any FD stuff on any of the WARC bands.

KG4CGC
06-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Yeah, you're not supposed to do any FD stuff on any of the WARC bands.
True dat, yo.
You're not even allowed to mention FD on the WARC bands!

KB3LAZ
06-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Idk if im gonna do fd this year or not but I probably should seeings as how I havent picked up a mic in er....idk 6 months or so. Aside from last night, when I decided to hop on the pro III on 75m then on the 7000 on 10m to see how a few ppl were doing. Rigs have been sitting under their dust covers as of late being busy and all. Not really sure as to what I will be doing when we move to the Columbus area into an apartment. Think I may just set up my shack in my parents guest room and make it a weekend event. In which case I may take the 7k with me and set up some form of wire and run QRP. That or finally get that damn 817 ive been thinking about getting for years now. In which case I could use it when I go on vacation.

W3WN
06-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Idk if im gonna do fd this year or not but I probably should seeings as how I havent picked up a mic in er....idk 6 months or so. Aside from last night, when I decided to hop on the pro III on 75m then on the 7000 on 10m to see how a few ppl were doing. Rigs have been sitting under their dust covers as of late being busy and all. Not really sure as to what I will be doing when we move to the Columbus area into an apartment. Think I may just set up my shack in my parents guest room and make it a weekend event. In which case I may take the 7k with me and set up some form of wire and run QRP. That or finally get that damn 817 ive been thinking about getting for years now. In which case I could use it when I go on vacation.The invitation to join us at N3SH FD still stands. No better way to get the rust off of operating... and they're friendly. Trust me.

KB3LAZ
06-12-2011, 10:18 PM
The invitation to join us at N3SH FD still stands. No better way to get the rust off of operating... and they're friendly. Trust me.

:) Ty. not sure what I have planned yet. As of late my plans have been getting canceled last minute due to work or life grr.

w3bny
06-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Speaking of plans getting cancelled...Bunneh's got canx! Seems that I am now going down to Ft. Polk LA to blow stuff up. Rather gone to field day but...sigh, I need the money.

W5RB
06-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Speaking of plans getting cancelled...Bunneh's got canx! Seems that I am now going down to Ft. Polk LA to blow stuff up. Rather gone to field day but...sigh, I need the money.

Driving ? Gonna be workin' the whole weekend ? I'm maybe 6 hours from there . If you pass thru Miss'ippi on I-20/59 , let me know , we can at least catch a cup of coffee , maybe hatch a plan .

W3WN
06-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Speaking of plans getting cancelled...Bunneh's got canx! Seems that I am now going down to Ft. Polk LA to blow stuff up. Rather gone to field day but...sigh, I need the money.So? No problem. Put a rig in the vehicle & a 40 meter hamstick, run 1C, don't worry about a log, and have fun!

W1GUH
06-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Idk if im gonna do fd this year or not but I probably should seeings as how I havent picked up a mic in er....idk 6 months or so. Aside from last night, when I decided to hop on the pro III on 75m then on the 7000 on 10m to see how a few ppl were doing. Rigs have been sitting under their dust covers as of late being busy and all. Not really sure as to what I will be doing when we move to the Columbus area into an apartment. Think I may just set up my shack in my parents guest room and make it a weekend event. In which case I may take the 7k with me and set up some form of wire and run QRP. That or finally get that damn 817 ive been thinking about getting for years now. In which case I could use it when I go on vacation.

Just in case you don't know about this...don't short the + lead of an external power supply to the chassis of your potential '817. You'll burn traces on the PC board. Not that big of a deal to fix, but it's a PITA & easily preventable.

Also, I picked up that big battery and fast charger from W4RT at Dayton & it's a very worth while add-on. Such a pleasure to use a smart charger instead of the dumb charger built into the radio.

KB3LAZ
06-13-2011, 04:14 PM
Just in case you don't know about this...don't short the + lead of an external power supply to the chassis of your potential '817. You'll burn traces on the PC board. Not that big of a deal to fix, but it's a PITA & easily preventable.

Also, I picked up that big battery and fast charger from W4RT at Dayton & it's a very worth while add-on. Such a pleasure to use a smart charger instead of the dumb charger built into the radio.

If I was smart I would never have bought the POS VX-8 (well it does what it says but bleh I knew better than to get an ht) and just got a 817 I would have been more happy.

W1GUH
06-14-2011, 01:18 PM

Probably lots of FD sites will see stuff blow-up!