PDA

View Full Version : AL-84

W3WN
06-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Picked up an Ameritron AL-84 amp over the weekend. It runs about 500 -600 watts out, 160 -10, using four 6LQ6 or 6MJ6 tubes... and it came with three sets of spares. (Good thing too, as I hear that they may be made out of Unobtanium these days)

Out of idle curiousity, anyone on the Island have any experience with one of these? Just looking for any tips on things to avoid or to be aware of before I fire it up in the next day or three.

...and this was built prior to MFJ's acquisition, so I shouldn't have any QC issues...

N8YX
06-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Avoid long carrier-mode operation, especially AM. Reduce power to no more than 100w (unmodulated) out if you do choose to run this mode via AL84.

Sorry we didn't get to stay longer at Breezeshooters. My "haul" was in the form of 800+ lbs of power tools from 'DSG's father's estate. All had to be disassembled, cleaned and loaded into the car for the return trip to Ohio. In addition, I got put to work with the chain saw...cutting up old cabinets, 4 by 4s and other burnables. To say I was beat at the end of the day is a very big understatement.

W3WN
06-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Avoid long carrier-mode operation, especially AM. Reduce power to no more than 100w (unmodulated) out if you do choose to run this mode via AL84.

Sorry we didn't get to stay longer at Breezeshooters. My "haul" was in the form of 800+ lbs of power tools from 'DSG's father's estate. All had to be disassembled, cleaned and loaded into the car for the return trip to Ohio. In addition, I got put to work with the chain saw...cutting up old cabinets, 4 by 4s and other burnables. To say I was beat at the end of the day is a very big understatement.Thanks Fred.

I had a hunch when you stopped by that you weren't staying long. Not sure why, maybe I just picked up on some vibes or some body language. Sorry you couldn't stick around for lunch, but maybe next year you'll have more time. Shame of it was, that's the best overall weather that Breezeshooters has had for years, but attendance was clearly down. OTOH, I sold most of what I brought with me, including some of the "table fodder" that I've had for a long time... figured it would never sell, just make the table look good. Go figure.

I don't plan to do any AM with the amp, and of course, considering that it's running on sweep tubes, minimal key-down time for tuning is a must. (I pretty much knew that even before I downloaded the manual from BAMA). Actually, the main reason I wanted it was for 160. I was hearing some EU stations last winter, but they couldn't hear me. Antenna work (especially on the radial field) is a spring/summer/fall must, but the extra "oomph" isn't going to hurt.

PA5COR
06-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Looks lik you already got the basics covered.
The SB-1000 has the 3-500ZG in it, but i normally don't run more as 500 watts P.E.P. on 160, and can reach Caanada/USA with ease with my inverted L, buut then it took me 2 years to get the 2100 feet of radials in/on the ground.... a never ending p0roject that...and most rewarding too.

Have fun with it ;)

N8YX
06-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks Fred

I had a hunch when you stopped by that you weren't staying long. Not sure why, maybe I just picked up on some vibes or some body language. Sorry you couldn't stick around for lunch, but maybe next year you'll have more time. Shame of it was, that's the best overall weather that Breezeshooters has had for years, but attendance was clearly down.
We had planned to be there for 8AM but ran very late - and I knew what was in store for me elsewhere. If you looked at the Field Day thread you now know that event is a wash for us as well. :wall:

Saw a nice FT301D and P/S at one table; the YO-301 at another. One day I'll have to get that entire lineup...

W3WN
06-06-2011, 10:09 PM
We had planned to be there for 8AM but ran very late - and I knew what was in store for me elsewhere. If you looked at the Field Day thread you now know that event is a wash for us as well. :wall:

Saw a nice FT301D and P/S at one table; the YO-301 at another. One day I'll have to get that entire lineup...
Should have said something. That '301 belonged to N3SBF & KB3GMN, we could have worked something out. Want me to find out if they still have it? (I don't think it sold, but I left before they did)

W3WN
06-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Looks lik you already got the basics covered.
The SB-1000 has the 3-500ZG in it, but i normally don't run more as 500 watts P.E.P. on 160, and can reach Caanada/USA with ease with my inverted L, buut then it took me 2 years to get the 2100 feet of radials in/on the ground.... a never ending p0roject that...and most rewarding too.

Have fun with it ;)Oh, an SB-1000... a man can dream.

Suffice to say, the price was right. I got the unit, with spare tubes, for 2 bills.

I used to have an SB-200 (actually two, one had a blown meter & power supply that I was using as a parts rig), but that went when I had to liquidate the bulk of the old shack. Feels nice to have a little power available again. And the 160 capability (which the 200 didn't have) doesn't hurt!

KB3LAZ
06-11-2011, 06:51 PM
The amp no, but I had a few dozen 6LQ6 sitting around but had no use for them. I use a al572b or fl2100b currently.

W3WN
06-13-2011, 09:48 AM
The amp no, but I had a few dozen 6LQ6 sitting around but had no use for them. I use a al572b or fl2100b currently.Oh?

If you still have the tubes and wish to find them a good home, let me know and we'll discuss it.

Never hurts to have spares on hand!

KB3LAZ
06-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Oh?

If you still have the tubes and wish to find them a good home, let me know and we'll discuss it.

Never hurts to have spares on hand!

IDK they were at my grandpas, ill check.

W3WN
06-14-2011, 10:12 AM
IDK they were at my grandpas, ill check.No rush. If they're still there, and you have no use for them in the forseeable future, let me know and we can work something out.