PDA

View Full Version : At least i know where some of my money is used for...

PA5COR
06-06-2011, 03:54 AM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/06/06/982458/-CERN-Scientists-Trap-Anti-Matter-For-16-Minutes?via=siderec

Scientists from the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva just announced that have trapped and stored anti-matter for 16 minutes. The previous record was 2 seconds. The Telegraph of London, reports (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8558603/Scientists-trap-and-study-elusive-anti-matter.html) this 5,000 fold improvement over the previous record, will enable potentially break-through research into what happened after the universe was created with the Big Bang, 13.6 billion years ago.

Scientists have trapped and stored antihydrogen atoms for a record 16 minutes, a stunning technical feat that promises deeper insights into the mysteries of anti-matter.

Particles and anti-particles annihilate each other in a small flash of energy when they collide. At the moment of the big bang, nearly 14 billion years ago, matter and anti-matter are thought to have existed in equal quantities. If that balance had persisted, the observable Universe we inhabit would never have come into being. For unknown reasons -- and fortunately for us -- Nature seemed to have a slight preference for matter, and today anti-matter is rare. This asymmetry remains one of the greatest riddles in particle physics. ...

"We can keep the antihydrogen atoms trapped for 1,000 seconds. This is long enough to begin to study them," said Jeffrey Hangst, spokesman for the scientists.

Scientists will now look for "violations" or discrepancies in something called the charge-parity-time reversal (CPT) symmetry.

Not sure how this will balance the budget though...:mrgreen:

rot
06-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Better be careful there Cor.
Antimatter containment boxes will spew negative wave emission.
You'll be sucked up right into the radio on TX and spit out huge through the antenna nulls.
Or something like that.
:dunno:
rot

NQ6U
06-06-2011, 11:53 AM
All right! Let's get the warp engines going and head off to the B Quadrant!

PA5COR
06-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up, i got that covered now by nailing down my seat and use safety belts....;)

Better be careful there Cor.
Antimatter containment boxes will spew negative wave emission.
You'll be sucked up right into the radio on TX and spit out huge through the antenna nulls.
Or something like that.
:dunno:
rot

KG4CGC
06-06-2011, 12:20 PM
All right! Let's get the warp engines going and head off to the B Quadrant!
Beat me to it.
This is the first step in warp drive or whatever. Gravity manipulation propulsion fields. According to WWII historians, the US has been sitting on plans taken from the Nazis after their fall. There is no actual evidence to suggest that this is fact but when you're talking about government and secrets and all that, yada yada yoda yoda.

NQ6U
06-06-2011, 12:32 PM
From the Web site Cor linked to:

Why doesn't pasta and antipasta explode when you mix them?

PA5COR
06-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Because it is Italian and not intelligent enough to explode

W5GA
06-06-2011, 08:00 PM
"Who ya gonna call?"

WØTKX
06-06-2011, 09:18 PM
I read about this wonderful scientific development and smiled. :agree:

IIRC, the Nazi antigravity work was based on gyroscopic forces.

NQ6U
06-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Because it is Italian and not intelligent enough to explode

Hey, go stick your finger in a dike, Dutchboy!

PA5COR
06-07-2011, 02:28 AM
_ snicker ;)-

Hey, go stick your finger in a dike, Dutchboy!