PDA

View Full Version : HRO Denver - are they rude to everyone or just me?

W4GPL
06-04-2011, 07:35 PM
I stopped in to see if I could find a replacement battery pack and/or case for my old Alinco DJ-V5 HT.. first words out of his mouth was 'you know you need a license to operate one of those?...' Why would you presume I'm not a ham? Once I assured him I was W4GPL and more than aware of my operating privileges, he still continued to be an ass. "Well, that's a really old radio..." and acted as if he wasn't even going to get his lazy ass up to type it into the computer. After standing there for an awkward couple of seconds, he finally got up and looked.

Every time I go into that store, they act like they're doing me a favor.. Jerks.

I should just stick to ordering stuff online, I guess.

NQ6U
06-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Can't speak for the staff at HRO Denver but the staff at the local HRO are all good guys.

KC2UGV
06-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Man, I really wish everyone had a "Hirsch's" near them. Their prices are rather expensive, but you go in there, and the people there are willing to talk to you all day about what you're looking for, what best would work, what else you could try...

I mean, the guy there talked me out of a center insulator, saying,"You could do that with a sheet of lexan and some hardware from Lowes..." Those guys are real elmers, willing to help. Really help.

W4GPL
06-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Most the guys at the AES in Orlando are really helpful. There are a few bad eggs everywhere, I suppose, but every time I drop into HRO Denver, I feel very unwelcome.

KG4CGC
06-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Go straight to the top after you've given the store manager 'what for.' I'm sure that if the guys working there don't want to do the job, someone else will.

KJ3N
06-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Every time I go into that store, they act like they're doing me a favor.. Jerks.

... but every time I drop into HRO Denver, I feel very unwelcome.
How often are you in Denver?

WØTKX
06-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Do you remember who it was you were dealing with? I know most of them personally. The attitude has actually gotten better, I'm not kidding. There is one guy I won't talk to. I'd love to work there part time, and show them a thing or six about customer service. :yes:

W4GPL
06-04-2011, 09:54 PM
I live there.

W4GPL
06-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Do you remember who it was you were dealing with? I know most of them personally. The attitude has actually gotten better, I'm not kidding. There is one guy I won't talk to. I'd love to work there part time, and show them a thing or six about customer service. :yes:Nah, didn't catch his name.. I recognized him though, he's been there several years.

KJ3N
06-05-2011, 07:42 AM
I live there.

Then how often do you get to the POB in FL? ;)

WX7P
06-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Complain to the owner, Bob Ferraro, W6RJ. He will respond.

W2NAP
06-05-2011, 12:17 PM
I live there.

when did that happen? thought you was in florida

W4GPL
06-05-2011, 12:23 PM
2 years ago.

KJ3N
06-05-2011, 01:12 PM
thought you was in florida

So does the FCC. :naughty:

;)

W4GPL
06-05-2011, 01:30 PM
The address on file is valid and checked daily. Nothing wrong with that. It's my family's PO Box, I just don't like having my physical address so public.. ya know?

Edit: Unless I'm seriously mistaken. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

NQ6U
06-05-2011, 01:42 PM
The address on file is valid and checked daily. Nothing wrong with that. It's my family's PO Box, I just don't like having my physical address so public.. ya know?

The FCC just needs an address where you can be contacted by mail. As long as you have access to the PO box you have listed as your contact address, you're good.

W4GPL
06-05-2011, 03:18 PM
That's what I thought. :) Thanks!

NQ6U
06-05-2011, 03:22 PM
That's what I thought. :) Thanks!

Just be sure it's checked regularly and the box rent is paid. The Effceecee don't like it if something gets bounced back to them by the USPS.

W4GPL
06-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Oh yeah, it is.. we've had that PO Box for 20+ years. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some obscure Part 97 rule about having an address in the state you reside -- or something. :)

W1GUH
06-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Only been to HRO once when I went to the Anaheim store in '06 when I bought an 'F6A...or maybe I was there twice, can't remember exactly. I didn't have any particular problem except it took a while for them to notice and wait on me. Didn't seem all that friendly -- just mechanically doing their jobs. It didn't strike me as place where they're willing to spend much time with a customer to be helpful and friendly. "Doing me a favor by waiting on me..." would sum it up.

When it was time to get my '817, by then I'd noticed Jun's hamcity (https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/home.asp) on the web. Have to say that when I went to their store in Culver City I was very, very happy with the guy I dealt with. He was a long time ham & it was a mini hamfest while I was there. And, not for nothing, their price was significantly less than HRO. The rest of the time that I was in LA it was Jun's whenever there was something ham to pick-up.

And, here in NY, if there's something I want/need and if KJI can't help, I wouldn't hesitate to give Jun's a call.

KG4CGC
06-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Radio Shack just got rid of their CEO and just this week they are going back to hobbyist and amateur radio and parts.
Got that straight from the horse's mouth.

NQ6U
06-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Radio Shack just got rid of their CEO and just this week they are going back to hobbyist and amateur radio and parts.

If true, that would be v. cool.

KG4CGC
06-05-2011, 06:22 PM
The last CEO was supposed to set up the company so they could sell it to Best Buy. He apparently played too many games with the Bust Buy heads and despite all attempts over the last 18 months to sweeten the deal, BB simply quit talking to them. Many of the RS store mangers have been complaining about the nick name, The Shack. For one thing, they are supposed to answer the phone by saying, "The Shack." While some people would ask if they dialed the wrong number, a significant number of potential customers hung up over the phone. There was no way to tell if they came in the store later or if they called another business dealing with electronics and cell phones.

They're still going to push cell phones though because that is simply the biggest cash cow business in the world next to illegal drugs.

W4GPL
06-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Radio Shack can sell as many phones as they want if they're sincere in their desire to cater to the DIY crowd again.. Personally, I'm willing to accept their mea culpa and start doing business with them again.

KG4CGC
06-05-2011, 07:02 PM
I don't have a problem with selling phones either but 2 years ago, I was looking for guy wire tensioners (turnbuckles) and they didn't have any on the shelves. The manager looked up the item on the store computer and the results that came back .... cell phones.

I was there yesterday looking for tiny drill bits. I found stone bead reamers, which make a nice smooth finish on brass jets, at the Hobby Lobby next door. The sales guy, who happens to be a displaced engineer and gives the store manager a much needed break, knows electronics and tools and it is refreshing to talk to someone who possess knowledge of the basics of what the more esoteric customers are into. He also seemed to have a renewed sense of self with the news of the change. In the past when a sales person asked me if I needed help, I would just tell them that I was bored and killing time until I found what I needed.

NQ6U
06-05-2011, 07:17 PM
If I can run to the local RS for a resistor or PL-259 when I need one in a hurry, I have no problem with them financing that via the sale of cell phones.

BTW, Home Despot carries turnbuckles.

KG4CGC
06-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Home Despot carries turnbuckles.
And that's where I got them that day. Came home with 3 sizes too.

KJ3N
06-05-2011, 07:57 PM

No, you're not wrong. It's just that you wouldn't be the first ham I've run into that moved and forgot to update their mailing address. It happens more than you would think.

WØTKX
06-05-2011, 11:23 PM
http://www.radioshacksucks.biz

I worked for Radioshack for about two years, as an assistant manager. Footballed all over the place, promised my own store. Bullpucky. It was a horrible experience. Doubt they will EVER regain their moxie from the Charles Tandy days.

N2NH
06-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Found AES in Orlando to be very good and informative whenever I went there. Same for HRO in Delaware and New Hampshire.

Didn't find AES in Milwaukee any help. Gypped me on a MFJ DSP unit by nearly $50. Last time I dealt with that location. As far as I'm concerned they can close all of them except Orlando.

W3WN
06-06-2011, 07:57 AM
I have had a lot of success of late with R & L. The only problem I've recently had was buying a used Ten-Tec mike, and forgetting to check beforehand if the mike connector was for the Corsair (it wasn't) -- and that's my fault for making an assumption.

I've also dealt at hamfests with KJI. In person, they're nice to deal with. They aren't very good about answering emails, though. (Hopefully that's changed in the last 2-3 years)

w3bny
06-06-2011, 08:23 AM
I stopped in to see if I could find a replacement battery pack and/or case for my old Alinco DJ-V5 HT..

I should just stick to ordering stuff online, I guess.

Batteries America FTW!

KC2UGV
06-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Excellent news, if true :)

W3WN
06-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Got that straight from the horse's mouth.Excellent news, if true :)Agreed, but we've been through this cycle before.

I hope they do it right this time around. As I recall, the last time, after a few months getting the parts got to be a real pain in the tuchus, most of the local stores staff were clueless (well, yeah, what else is new) and eventually some bean counter decided that the parts business wasn't profitable enough.

You have questions? We have cell phones! indeed.

KG4CGC
06-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Agreed, but we've been through this cycle before.

I hope they do it right this time around. As I recall, the last time, after a few months getting the parts got to be a real pain in the tuchus, most of the local stores staff were clueless (well, yeah, what else is new) and eventually some bean counter decided that the parts business wasn't profitable enough.

You have questions? We have cell phones! indeed.
They've lowered their expectations. Now they'll be able to find more dates.

badabing!

Their overall stock rating is lowered. They are not trying (or so I understand it) to make as big a profit.

KG4CGC
06-06-2011, 10:16 AM
http://seekingalpha.com/article/270600-20-magic-formula-stocks-buying-back-shares-at-depressed-prices
Don't know if this means anything.
More aptly, I don't know what this means.

KB3LAZ
06-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Most the guys at the AES in Orlando are really helpful. There are a few bad eggs everywhere, I suppose, but every time I drop into HRO Denver, I feel very unwelcome.

The ones in Cleavland are alright provided you get the right one. Though at times I feel they havent a clue as to what they sell. I more often than not find myself answering the questions of hams that are prospective buyers than the sales rep when I pay a visit. ...Now where is my commission?

kf0rt
06-07-2011, 06:55 PM
I've spent a few grand at HRO Denver... Never got that "friendly feel" there, but don't get there often enough to be one of the "clique." It kind of reminds me of the old CW Electronics days where you'd go into the store (Lincoln store, not LoDo) and they'd ignore you; too busy having fun with their buddies.

Bought my TS-570 and assorted stuff at HRO Denver and the IC-7000. It's not HARD to get their attention, but they don't exactly welcome you at the door. I kind of like it that way -- prefer to look around and know that they'll write it up if I want to buy. They're dealing with hams; gotta be a tough job. ;)

NQ6U
06-07-2011, 07:05 PM
They're dealing with hams; gotta be a tough job. ;)

Imagine trying to make your living by selling stuff to a group of people who are notoriously averse to parting with their cash.

Joe, N6SIX, knows me from SANDARC so I generally get a pretty good reception when I go into to his store.

kf0rt
06-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Imagine trying to make your living by selling stuff to a group of people who are notoriously averse to parting with their cash.

Joe, N6SIX, knows me from SANDARC so I generally get a pretty good reception when I go into to his store.

Gotta wonder. There are hams who don't fit that mold (explains the IC-7800 market, eh?). Can't say that HRO has ever done bad by me, but I do remember being younger and it was real work to get the attention of the Alan Applegate's and such. "Go away, kid, you bother me..."

None of these folks were ever in my own circle of buddies, so it's somewhat understandable. Wierd, tho... ran into a guy in the company cafeteria last week who is a nephew (or something) of John Capone. Bantered back and forth a bit, and it was pretty clear that he knew the score. Guy drives some pretty nice old iron, too: stuff that might make George envious.

KB3LAZ
06-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Noting a few responses and thinking back to conversations past its actually more common for me to get the attention of an older ham than that of a middle aged ham and always has been. This is particularly true when it comes to sales and that includes amateur radio gear and other realms of sales including that of my car. In general I would say that my experiences have been that the generation of my grandfathers age is less likely to make a judgment call on age or appearance than that of my fathers. I suppose that is due to the fact that they have been around the block with their own children and grandchildren. Though its funny considering the age range closer to my fathers you would expect to be less likely to do this beings they are of closer age to myself and or my overall appearance etc yet this is not the case. In fact I did a sociological study regarding these two particular generations for college but that is another topic entirely.

WØTKX
06-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Don't trust anyone between the ages of 35 and 55?

:lol:

KG4CGC
06-08-2011, 12:47 PM
When the old man hands down his ax to the grandson, the father still wants to grind it.

n2ize
06-08-2011, 08:00 PM
The worst Ham Radio store to deal with was Barry's in New York City. They were downright rude and nasty. Not to mention overpriced. They had this one guy there who was downright vicious. He would actually yell and curse at customers. There was also another radio store across the river in Jersey that was almost as bad. You would think that stores catering to a niche market would treat there customers better. I have come across similar attitudes in other dealers that cater to niche hobby markets.

KG4CGC
06-08-2011, 08:20 PM
The worst Ham Radio store to deal with was Barry's in New York City. They were downright rude and nasty. Not to mention overpriced. They had this one guy there who was downright vicious. He would actually yell and curse at customers. There was also another radio store across the river in Jersey that was almost as bad. You would think that stores catering to a niche market would treat there customers better. I have come across similar attitudes in other dealers that cater to niche hobby markets.

I think you're thinking about comic book store owners.
lulz :)

NQ6U
06-09-2011, 12:02 AM
I think you're thinking about comic book store owners.
lulz :)

http://chaosgrenade.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/comic_book_guy.gif

WØTKX
06-09-2011, 12:21 AM
http://youtu.be/-Ln-PfBUTZc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ln-PfBUTZc

kc7jty
06-10-2011, 04:05 AM
Back around '95 to '98 there was a salesman at HRO Delaware that wouldn't do no code techs, and the rest of the staff would tell you right up front about him. He had a stick it up your ass look about him if you gave him a stare. I ain't gettin up.
No sweat though cause the mgr there (his last name was Penney) gave me 10% off for ca$h.

I bought a LOT of gear there back when.

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/2005/216/11483446_112328242491.jpg
anybody remember this guy?

KG4CGC
06-10-2011, 12:03 PM
http://youtu.be/-Ln-PfBUTZc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ln-PfBUTZc
LOL! "Boston Legal!"

KB3LAZ
06-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Don't trust anyone between the ages of 35 and 55?

:lol:

Eh, closer to anyone. xD

W7XF
06-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Eh, closer to anyone. xD

Travis, you're WAY too emo xD

W9JAM
06-10-2011, 10:30 PM
When I was looking into getting my First radio, the guy that answered the phone at HRO in Denver was very rude to me. The guys at the one in Phoenix were very nice though.

KB3LAZ
06-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Travis, you're WAY too emo xD

Eh, I dont trust many ppl however those I do trust, I trust with my life. Ppl have proven that as a whole they are untrustworthy.