PDA

View Full Version : tablet pc

KB3LAZ
06-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Anyone here have the chance to play with any of the newer series tabs? Im actually typing this on a generic one which i flashed 3.0 on. It isnt bad but its not great either. Just curious as to what ppls opinions are. I was thinking about picking up an asus transformer to replace my netbook for class however im not sure that the price is justifiable for its use.

KC2UGV
06-04-2011, 02:03 PM
I have a Viewsonic GTablet. It's running a custom ROM, Android 2.2.

I like it, and I don't carry a laptop/netbook anymore :) I've just about found a replacement for pretty much anything my computers need to do while mobile. The Transformer, while I don't own one, have gotten great reviews. A friend bought one for his daughter, and he ended up keeping it, and buying his daughter another :lol:

KB3LAZ
06-06-2011, 06:51 AM

I like it, and I don't carry a laptop/netbook anymore :) I've just about found a replacement for pretty much anything my computers need to do while mobile. The Transformer, while I don't own one, have gotten great reviews. A friend bought one for his daughter, and he ended up keeping it, and buying his daughter another :lol:

I look at it specifically due to the full size docking station with keyboard. It would be hard to use it for my purposes w/o it. I currently use a net book to take notes in class. Even still it is not as convenient as a notebook as the key spacing is cramped. Notebook = 64 wpm last I tested, net book is about half that because I miss key a lot. Now doing so with a text msg type keyboard pft! LOL

TBH it was only for note taking purposes and with the cost of the Transformer I just dont know about the cost being justifiable. My netbook on the other hand was only 180$ shipped on sale about a year ago. Big difference.

As for as a replacement for my notebook itself, never. Then again my notebook is more of a desktop replacement. I do need a new notebook at some point though this 512mb GPU just isnt cutting it. xD

KC2UGV
06-06-2011, 08:09 AM
If you are looking to take notes in class, you wont need a keyboard :) You can hand-write your notes directly on the screen.

And, the tablet of mine wont replace a full-powered workstation. But, it does replace the need for a laptop to carry on the road. When I need a mobile, full powered workstation; I remote into my workstation at home, via my tablet. Voila! Mobile Thin Client ftw.

N8YX
06-06-2011, 08:24 AM
This is being typed on a Galaxy tablet. Needs a full-sized keyboard as an accessory but perfectly acceptable for most browsing duties.

w6tmi
06-06-2011, 08:53 PM

That's a great tab for the price! I got one on a woot for 269 bucks. the stock image blows though, you have to re-flash it with something else (as apparently you've done).

I've also got the Dell streak 7, love it display isnt QUITE as good as some of the others, but it is the only one I've found that has an actual SD card slot so one can view one's photos on something other then a 3" camera display without a computer.

The proc in the galaxy is rather dated. (Not sure if the new galaxy is out yet)

N8YX
06-07-2011, 04:59 AM
The proc in the galaxy is rather dated. (Not sure if the new galaxy is out yet)
Just came out. I'll ask 'DSG for the linque.

KJ4FEL
06-07-2011, 03:37 PM
ViewSonic just announced a new tablet today that I'm going to seriously consider.

Here's a link: http://www.androidcentral.com/viewsonic-announces-7-inch-viewbook-730-android-tablet?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20androidcentral%20%28Android %20Central%29

KB3LAZ
06-07-2011, 04:07 PM
If you are looking to take notes in class, you wont need a keyboard :) You can hand-write your notes directly on the screen.

And, the tablet of mine wont replace a full-powered workstation. But, it does replace the need for a laptop to carry on the road. When I need a mobile, full powered workstation; I remote into my workstation at home, via my tablet. Voila! Mobile Thin Client ftw.

lol if I were going to write by hand Id use a notepad. I can type faster. :) Per class I take about two pages of typed 12 font text each day. Typing is much more efficient.

(I have a tab now. Is a little one seven inches and it does not suffice atm.)

KC2UGV
06-08-2011, 08:55 AM
lol if I were going to write by hand Id use a notepad. I can type faster. :) Per class I take about two pages of typed 12 font text each day. Typing is much more efficient.

(I have a tab now. Is a little one seven inches and it does not suffice atm.)

You need a 10.1" one :) Coupled with a case + keyboard, you have a very mobile, long life netbook :)

KC2UGV
06-08-2011, 08:56 AM
ViewSonic just announced a new tablet today that I'm going to seriously consider.

Here's a link: http://www.androidcentral.com/viewsonic-announces-7-inch-viewbook-730-android-tablet?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20androidcentral%20%28Android %20Central%29

I saw that, and am scoping it out for the kids :) So they stop fighting over the 2 computers we have in the house (I know, how can 2 kids be fighting over 2 computers? Don't ask me... I've not figured it out yet).

KB3LAZ
06-08-2011, 09:12 AM
You need a 10.1" one :) Coupled with a case + keyboard, you have a very mobile, long life netbook :)

Aye, thats why I have been looking into the transformer. Ive been weighing pros and cons. Its not cheap at all compared to a netbook or considering the fact that I already have one. For that matter its really about on par with the price of a notebook. However its much lighter and has much longer battery life. idk...im a very indecisive person lol.

KB3LAZ
06-08-2011, 09:14 AM
I saw that, and am scoping it out for the kids :) So they stop fighting over the 2 computers we have in the house (I know, how can 2 kids be fighting over 2 computers? Don't ask me... I've not figured it out yet).

LOL. Id say I like the idea of giving a kid a Table vs a pc but in the end it wouldnt matter they can still do the gaming (or at least a watered down version) and the social networking. TBH these particular things worry me about having children. I know what is on the net...I wouldnt want them to or discover the things I have yet to see and never wish to. Grr why cant kids just get broken bones like they used to? o0

KC2UGV
06-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Aye, thats why I have been looking into the transformer. Ive been weighing pros and cons. Its not cheap at all compared to a netbook or considering the fact that I already have one. For that matter its really about on par with the price of a notebook. However its much lighter and has much longer battery life. idk...im a very indecisive person lol.

Expand your horizons. A Viewsonic G Tablet is $300 shipped from Woot. 10.1", 512MB RAM, Tegra 2, 16GB of internal storage. Full USB host, MicroUSB device port, MicroSD card port, and has about 8-9 hours of battery life.

Small USB keyboard = $13 from Office Depot.
Leather Case with keyboard snaps = $30 from Ebay.

LOL. Id say I like the idea of giving a kid a Table vs a pc but in the end it wouldnt matter they can still do the gaming (or at least a watered down version) and the social networking. TBH these particular things worry me about having children. I know what is on the net...I wouldnt want them to or discover the things I have yet to see and never wish to. Grr why cant kids just get broken bones like they used to? o0

KB3LAZ
06-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Expand your horizons. A Viewsonic G Tablet is $300 shipped from Woot. 10.1", 512MB RAM, Tegra 2, 16GB of internal storage. Full USB host, MicroUSB device port, MicroSD card port, and has about 8-9 hours of battery life.

Small USB keyboard = $13 from Office Depot.
Leather Case with keyboard snaps = $30 from Ebay.

xD netbook still cheaper. However I do have a tablet its model name is something like 56wuuuuacf rnl;gasvl;f,lwm qgogbfc and its Chinese. Got it new on ebay for 50$. Im surprised at how well it works for being so cheap. Battery life on it is about 3.5 hours if used constantly for browsing etc. Ofc it sucked when I got it but after re flashing it it works well. 512 ram, 800mhz processor, 8 gig internal and sd expansion slot up to 32gig. What I dont like about it is that its cam wont function as a webcam, it does not have a mic built in and does not except one externally either.

Want to get Pilar a 7 inch tab for her Bday. However im gonna go a bit more expensive as it is going to be a phone replacement basically...well phone addition. Ive seen a few that make the cut. She will basically use it as a mobile skype setup for voice/video chat if applicable at the time to communicate with her mum and sister. TBH she has a more logical use for one than I do even if you exclude the communication factor.

KC2UGV
06-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Oh, wait on the phone addition... Asus is working up a tab to be released soon that has a cell phone docking port. Kind of like a reverse-Atrix.

Dock the phone, and then use the bigger screen. Pull the phone, shove it in your pocket. Lose the tablet? Who cares? Everything lives on the phone :)