PDA

View Full Version : I wonder how many hams ignore this part of the ham code?

KC2UGV
06-01-2011, 12:31 PM
BALANCED Radio is an avocation, never interfering with duties owed to family, job, school or community.

I never noted that before, but while reading over some documents in regards to DX'ing, I saw that and laughed...

Pat comes to mind almost immediately :lol:

W3WN
06-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Far too many disregard the Amateur's Code. And that includes the original 1928 version & the updated 1947 & 1997 versions.

W2NAP
06-01-2011, 01:58 PM
radio > everything else

lulz

NQ6U
06-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Ham code? You mean this (http://www.retailmenot.com/view/honeybakedonline.com)?

KG4CGC
06-01-2011, 02:03 PM
What attracts the creeps to the hobby? I thought about other hobbies with creeps but it's mostly computers and ham radio that really draws in the creepy creeps. I've even heard CB'ers talking about staying away from those sick creeps in ham radio. Something about a hobby you can do by yourself and the other hobbyists, users don't have to see you.

When do you tell a woman that you're dating that you're into ham radio?
When do you tell her that you sit up late at night, talking to random men?

NQ6U
06-01-2011, 02:18 PM
What attracts the creeps to the hobby? I thought about other hobbies with creeps but it's mostly computers and ham radio that really draws in the creepy creeps.

Because both those hobbies attract technophiles without much in the way of social skills, introverted men (mostly) who are more comfortable with machines than they are with people. Such a demographic would by pure probability alone include a significant number of sociopaths, hence guys like K1MAN and the Canadian Loon.

When do you tell a woman that you're dating that you're into ham radio?
When do you tell her that you sit up late at night, talking to random men?

I'm married so dating is not an issue for me but if I were dating, I'd probably wait a while before I mentioned ham radio.

N8YX
06-01-2011, 02:19 PM
A ham is balanced...or his SSB signal will sound funny.

KG4CGC
06-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm married so dating is not an issue for me but if I were dating, I'd probably wait a while before I mentioned ham radio.
How do you tell her that you sit up late at night, in the dark and in your underwear, talking to strange men?

Here ya go! Re-live some Ultra Uber LULZ!
The Clinky! (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?184333-When-do-you-tell-a-woman-you-re-a-ham&highlight=woman)

NQ6U
06-01-2011, 03:10 PM
How do you tell her that you sit up late at night, in the dark and in your underwear, talking to strange men?

Well, my shack is out in a detached garage so I generally have to put on clothes before I go out there. Shoes, at least.

Here ya go! Re-live some Ultra Uber LULZ!
The Clinky! (http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?184333-When-do-you-tell-a-woman-you-re-a-ham&highlight=woman)Wow, some surprisingly good stuff for Teh Zed.

KG4CGC
06-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Wow, some surprisingly good stuff for Teh Zed.
I managed to link to that thread a couple of times in answering some threads there and it eventually got closed.
At least it was not deleted but copy it while you can because it may get Ron Brown'd.

KB3LAZ
06-01-2011, 06:33 PM
I never noted that before, but while reading over some documents in regards to DX'ing, I saw that and laughed...

Pat comes to mind almost immediately :lol:

This can be said for many aspects of life particularly with any hobby. One must find a balance in life an know ones priorities. Many times over I have seen ppl dedicated themselves to a hobby to the extent that it becomes their sole purpose in life. Ham radio, computer gaming, gambling, collecting hobbies, you name it. I personally distance myself because I have an addictive personality with most things I do so I have to build a wall between myself and my interests so that they do not consume me.

W7XF
06-01-2011, 07:42 PM
You're like me in quite a few ways, Travis.

VE7DCW
06-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Because both those hobbies attract technophiles without much in the way of social skills, introverted men (mostly) who are more comfortable with machines than they are with people. Such a demographic would by pure probability alone include a significant number of sociopaths, hence guys like K1MAN and the Canadian Loon.

The Canadian Loon?? ...... he'll answer if you call him Mr.Kooky ..... but interesting if maybe he were married it might have a stabilizing effect on his demeanour both on air and in the "real world" ..... if you could find a crazy lady who'd put up with him.....

:lol: