PDA

View Full Version : My turn to eat some crow...

KC2UGV
06-01-2011, 10:23 AM
So, after "berating" a particular user about ignoring errors during upgrades; and bragging about nary a failed upgrade since Redhat 3 or 4; now, it's my turn to eat crow.

It's not yummy.

sudo do-release-upgrade

Going from 10.04 (LTS) Ubuntu to Natty, I start the upgrade from the shell. I ignore the warning about doing it over SSH.

Had a couple of false starts. I looked like it wanted to restart the upgrade process. I let it go ahead, and went to bed for the night.

Next morning, screen had terminated (I was running the upgrade in screen), so I figured it was done without a hitch. On logging in, motd informed me I needed a reboot. So, I did.

And I waited. And waited for it to come back up. Nada.

Finally, got to looking at it, logged onto ESX console to get the actual console of the machine. I get:

Invalid File Name
grub>

Wut?

Oh well, I thought it's an easy fix:

grub> ls
(CER-NOD0-swap), (CER-NOD0-root), (hd0),(hd0,5),(hd0,1)
grub> set root=(CER-NOD0-root)
grub> linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro
File not found.

Huh?

grub> ls /boot

grub>

Oh geeze... Nothing in /boot?

Oh well, was looking for a reason to migrate off of ESX...

W1GUH
06-01-2011, 11:19 AM
That's so totally frustrating. I sincerely empathize.

N2CHX
06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Don't do it. I upgraded to Natty the first day it came out and there are a plethora of problems that still have yet to be resolved.

KC2UGV
06-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Don't do it. I upgraded to Natty the first day it came out and there are a plethora of problems that still have yet to be resolved.

Other than this (Which I put much of the blame on myself for doing it over SSH), the only issue I've come across thus far has been fldigi and not being able to use the slider controls anymore...

I think I might go ahead and revert back to 10.04, since it's for a server, not really a workstation. I need stability more than cutting edge.

W2NAP
06-01-2011, 02:01 PM
only thing i can say. IM glad i left ubuntu. Mint Debian Edition (set to stable repos) works very well

KC2UGV
06-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Yeah, at this point, I'm even debating switching to Scientific Linux.

W2NAP
06-01-2011, 05:28 PM
im pretty happy with mint debian. it just runs and runs and runs. (i did set the debian repos to stable) as it comes with debian testing enabled.

N2CHX
06-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Ubuntu will run and run and run if you don't go all crazy upgrading it ten seconds after they release a new version. I really have no complaints. Mint wouldn't even install on this Netbook.

W2NAP
06-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Ubuntu will run and run and run if you don't go all crazy upgrading it ten seconds after they release a new version. I really have no complaints. Mint wouldn't even install on this Netbook.

try Mint debian editon.

KG4CGC
06-01-2011, 10:17 PM
No sauce! crow must be eaten d r y.

n2ize
06-03-2011, 02:17 PM
You can also build your own custom distribution. Here is one such option.

http://rocklinux.net/ (http://rocklinux.net/)

N2CHX
06-03-2011, 05:31 PM
try Mint debian editon.

If I have major issues with the next release, I will. I'm not too keen on reinstalling my os on my netbook for no good reason.

W3MPS
06-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Mmm... Natty

KC2UGV
06-04-2011, 08:57 AM
If I have major issues with the next release, I will. I'm not too keen on reinstalling my os on my netbook for no good reason.

Same here... I was looking for a simple upgrade. That shows me for thinking lol

As an aside, I did finally get pulse audio working. Just needed some more tools to use.

N2CHX
06-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Same here... I was looking for a simple upgrade. That shows me for thinking lol

As an aside, I did finally get pulse audio working. Just needed some more tools to use.

Give Natty a few more weeks and I think they'll have a lot of crap worked out. It's gotten better even since I posted in this thread.

n2ize
06-08-2011, 04:17 PM
The problem is that Linux is not 1-00% "point and click" and is still not "user friendly". That is largely why it is still not ready for the enterprise or the desktop or the enterprise desktop.

KC2UGV
06-09-2011, 07:11 AM
The problem is that Linux is not 1-00% "point and click" and is still not "user friendly". That is largely why it is still not ready for the enterprise or the desktop or the enterprise desktop.

I beg to differ here...

Ubuntu Linux is generally an easier install out of the box than Windows is.

RHEL-based Distros are ALL point and click (Something which irks me at times), even for server installs.

The "Linux isn't user-friendly" argument is old, and doesn't hold any water. It's different than Windows, but not harder. In fact, I'll challenge anyone to actually prove Linux is not as user-friendly as Linux (We'll use either CentOS5 of Ubuntu 10.04 for "Linux" here).

n2ize
06-09-2011, 01:36 PM
I beg to differ here...

Ubuntu Linux is generally an easier install out of the box than Windows is.

RHEL-based Distros are ALL point and click (Something which irks me at times), even for server installs.

The "Linux isn't user-friendly" argument is old, and doesn't hold any water. It's different than Windows, but not harder. In fact, I'll challenge anyone to actually prove Linux is not as user-friendly as Linux (We'll use either CentOS5 of Ubuntu 10.04 for "Linux" here).

That weas my main reason for writing this. I have been hearing the old, "Linux is not user friendly", "Linux is only for the backroom server and not the office/desktop" for years. yesterday was no exception,. I got caught in yet another discussion with all the catch phrases...

"it's not point and click"
"it;s for nerds and uber geeks only"
"It's not enterprise ready"
"It's way too hard"
"You need windows to actually get any real work done".

blah, blah, blah...

I was amazed to hear these tired old arguments in the year 2011. Sounds like I was back in the year 2000.

I've been using Linux on the desktop since the 1990's. Its served me well. In the old days Linux was hard. To get a reasonably functional system going it was almost mandatory that you compile your own kernel. These days it has changed so much. Most modern day Linux users that I meet don;t even know what it means to compile the kernel themselves. And usually there is no need to. Unless you have some specialized need (support for an unusual piece of hardware, fixing a specific bug, etc) most out of the box kernels work flawlessly. My parents, neither of who are anything close to nerds or geeks, have been using Linux on the desktop for years. They can boot into Windows if they like but they prefer using Linux.

Yet, every now and then I still hear the same tired argument from over a decade ago.

NQ6U
06-09-2011, 03:03 PM
The only thing that's holding Linux back from wider adoption is the quality of most of the general-purpose apps. While they've improved greatly over the years, most of them still have a ways to go before they're as user-friendly and stable as commercial apps.